Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Kotor Tool - v1.0.2210.16738 (2006-1-19 12:38)

Page: 19 of 38
 Fred Tetra
02-09-2005, 5:41 AM
I have now modified the project manager so that you can now set the output type for each package individually. All of the package files are still written to the Modules folder, however, regardless of their type.

Is there any interest or utility in having the files be (optionally) split up by type?
 Darth Stryke
02-09-2005, 5:48 AM
Sooo....any new features for the tool for TSL or do you not know yet? I am not sure what I am anticipating more, getting TSL or getting the new KOTOR Tool for TSL :D
 Fred Tetra
02-09-2005, 6:10 AM
I don't have a copy yet, so I haven't had a chance to look into it and see what I need to do or what I'd like to add. :(
 SpaceAlex
02-12-2005, 7:53 PM
Hmm. I tried to open TSL classpowergain.2da to give my chracter more force powers per level, but it seems to be different than the 1st KOTOR 2da. You can't do anything from that file. I'll have to figure out where to change that. I'll play through TSL first, but i want my next game to be a little different. I'll also make enemies stronger.

In any case. When can we expect Kotor tool for TLS Fred? :D
 SpaceAlex
02-13-2005, 6:09 AM
NM the previous post. I messed up something. It works fine now, though i still can't change npc's inventory for some reason. It gives me error.
 <|EJK|>Twingo
02-14-2005, 1:36 AM
well hoping you can make a new extractor tool for kotor 2.....i really need it. :D
 Darth333
02-14-2005, 6:37 AM
Originally posted by <|EJK|>Twingo
well hoping you can make a new extractor tool for kotor 2.....i really need it. :D
Right now you can extract all the files you want with Kotor tool. Just make sure you set the paths to your Kotor2 directory correctly. You can also edit most of the files directly with Kotor tool. For the files you cannot edit with Kotor tool, just extract them and edit them with a GFF editor.
 Xavier2
02-14-2005, 8:03 AM
Originally posted by Fred Tetra
I have now modified the project manager so that you can now set the output type for each package individually. All of the package files are still written to the Modules folder, however, regardless of their type.

Is there any interest or utility in having the files be (optionally) split up by type?
Doing area mods with a lot of files often give me headaches on finding the ones i need to edit while testing. If it turns out to be a list with 40-50 files it's kind annoying. Although KT Project Manager organizes the files properly and it is fine, i believe that doing subfolders for each type of file (utc subfolder, .dlg subfolder, etc) in a mod, could help a lot.

And it is good to know KT works ok with TSL. As soon as i get mine i will try something.
 <|EJK|>Twingo
02-14-2005, 8:09 AM
Originally posted by Darth333
Right now you can extract all the files you want with Kotor tool. Just make sure you set the paths to your Kotor2 directory correctly. You can also edit most of the files directly with Kotor tool. For the files you cannot edit with Kotor tool, just extract them and edit them with a GFF editor.

that i already know....the only problem i have is i cant put the .mdl and .mdx in one file (to .mdl)....i cant load it into max.
 Fred Tetra
02-14-2005, 8:16 AM
Kotor Tool uses a subset of CChargin's MDLOps code to extract the models from the game. The problem is that in Kotor 2, the model format has changed somewhat, which will necessitate a change in the converter code.
 Darkkender
02-14-2005, 8:22 AM
Kotor Tool uses a subset of CChargin's MDLOps code to extract the models from the game. The problem is that in Kotor 2, the model format has changed somewhat, which will necessitate a change in the converter code.

I don't have my copy of kotor tool in front of me right now but isn't there an option to turn off the mdlops features in kotor tool? If so then that should be pretty simple for extractions. I know I was planning to sit down and fire up my hex editor again, for some model files.

Also Fred might you be able to provide a feature much the same as tk102 did with KSE which is have KOTOR tool look for to seperate working directories for kotor 1 and TSL? And then have 2 expanded file tree's.
 Fred Tetra
02-14-2005, 10:14 AM
You can just click on the .mdl and .mdx files and click the "Extract file" button for each of them.

Actually, I am working on the implementation of Kotor II features.

Presently, I am planning on letting the user switch between working with KotOR I and II. There are simply too many dependencies in the treeview to make a second set of subtree nodes available right off. I want to get a version into folks' hands that is easier to use that at present, then worry about "extras".
 tk102
02-14-2005, 10:17 AM
Presently, I am planning on letting the user switch between working with KotOR I and II. There are simply too many dependencies in the treeview to make a second set of subtree nodes available right off. I want to get a version into folks' hands that is easier to use that at present, then worry about "extras".

That is completely understandable. I had to go through a lot of code to allow that to work correctly in KSE. However, FWIW Fred, the reason I decided to go the route I did, was because that's what I thought a master like yourself would do. :) (bow)

And how I envy the Unity of KotOR Tool -- especially the way a single Manage Paths menu applies to everything. :rolleyes: :xp: (I've got my work cut out for myself for the next month...)
 <|EJK|>Twingo
02-14-2005, 11:59 AM
You can just click on the .mdl and .mdx files and click the "Extract file" button for each of them.

believe me i work longer with this.....if i want the files in max i need 1 mdl file.....for that i need to ''extract'' the mdl and mdx from kotor tool to my desktop. then i use the program called ''extract0-2'' that program is putting the mdl and mdx together....to one single file (mdl) so i can use it in max.

small description

This is a script that will extract a mesh and uv coordinates
from .mdl and .mdx. The script will be output in ascii mdl.
 Fred Tetra
02-14-2005, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by <|EJK|>Twingo
believe me i work longer with this.....if i want the files in max i need 1 mdl file.....for that i need to ''extract'' the mdl and mdx from kotor tool to my desktop. then i use the program called ''extract0-2'' that program is putting the mdl and mdx together....to one single file (mdl) so i can use it in max.

small description

This is a script that will extract a mesh and uv coordinates
from .mdl and .mdx. The script will be output in ascii mdl.

Just double click on the .mdl file desired, check the options on the form that comes up and it will extract the file in a format that NWMax + 3DSMax can import. The model and all of the textures will be placed in the directory kotor tool install directory\working\Exported models. (if you picked "each model in its own directory, those directories will be placed in the working directory)

It is not necessary to use extract0-2 to do the conversion.
 <|EJK|>Twingo
02-14-2005, 2:37 PM
does that work with kotor 2 models
 RedHawke
02-14-2005, 5:02 PM
^^^^
No, <|EJK|>Twingo it is for KOTOR models only. TSL uses a different model format.
Originally posted by Darth333
It is funny though in TSL I cannot find any .dlg files in any of the modules.
 Fred Tetra
02-14-2005, 7:22 PM
They're in the ERF section...
 RedHawke
02-14-2005, 7:27 PM
They're in the ERF section...
I wonder who the klutz was at OE that put them there? :roleyess: I hope we can still pack them into .mod files like we used to... :eek:

And thanks for pointing me in the right direction Fred! :D
 Darkkender
02-14-2005, 10:35 PM
^^^^
yeah funny thing that I was going through the modules folder and realized wow there are 3 erf files for each area. My words to myself were WTH. What's even harder is trying to make a guess at what each of the area's are by just there file name they are just number strings great for warp commands bad for trying to figure out which one you need.
 Fred Tetra
02-15-2005, 4:31 AM
Originally posted by RedHawke
I wonder who the klutz was at OE that put them there? :roleyess: I hope we can still pack them into .mod files like we used to... :eek:

And thanks for pointing me in the right direction Fred! :D

You can put files in ERF,MOD,SAV and HAK archives; they all have exactly the same format; the only difference is the extension and that the three letter type appears in the file's header internally.

Now, as to whether you can make your own modules in one of these archives and have it work, I would expect so, based on past experience.
 Darth333
02-15-2005, 5:31 AM
You can put files in ERF,MOD,SAV and HAK archives; they all have exactly the same format; the only difference is the extension and that the three letter type appears in the file's header internally.

Now, as to whether you can make your own modules in one of these archives and have it work, I would expect so, based on past experience.
I've already made three modules for the easy swoop racing mods and it works fine :)

However, once packed as a .mod file, I had to use another utility to extract files from my custom modules as Kotor tool would not list the files starting with a number instead of a letter in the ERFs :(
 SpaceAlex
02-15-2005, 5:10 PM
I have a question Fred. Will you make it possible to equip items and weapons on npc's with KT. Right now it gives me an error. That must be because KT doesn't recognise the new items.
 SpaceAlex
02-15-2005, 5:11 PM
Sorry, double post. Kept getting the "server is currently too busy message" :rolleyes:
 Fred Tetra
02-16-2005, 6:12 AM
When work is done on the next version, you should be able to do anything that the previous version allowed.
 Xcom
02-16-2005, 6:42 AM
If it was mentioned, please ignore. Would it be possible to configure paths for two games (kotor and kotor2), so you can switch between the two without having to restart the tool?
 Fred Tetra
02-16-2005, 10:58 AM
The next version has the ability to maintain two sets of path information and also lets you work with both games at the same time.

When editor windows are opened for a given file, they also indicate which game they are from.

400th post
 Darkkender
02-16-2005, 11:04 AM
Thank you Fred it is good to see that, that option will make it in there after all. Especially considering your earlier hesitation and troubles with that aspect. It is always good to see you looking out for us.
 Mav
02-16-2005, 7:34 PM
Thanks for the continued hard work Fred, I can't wait for the next release ;)
 SpaceAlex
02-16-2005, 7:38 PM
Yeah, thank you very much Fred. Without your KT many people would't bother moding KOTOR.
 Xcom
02-17-2005, 6:24 AM
The next version has the ability to maintain two sets of path information and also lets you work with both games at the same time.

When editor windows are opened for a given file, they also indicate which game they are from.

Excellent. Thank you!
 Fred Tetra
02-19-2005, 5:58 PM
Screenshot showing new tree layout and module description and location info (thanks helpers!).

Tree Structure (http://kotortool.home.comcast.net/treestruct.jpg)

Here's one of the new path manager:

Path Manager (http://kotortool.home.comcast.net/pathmanager.jpg)
 Mav
02-19-2005, 7:42 PM
Looks Great Fred, makes me wonder though... what were those whited-out buttons... hmmmm ... lol
 Bimmerman
02-19-2005, 8:14 PM
Hey- please ignore this if this question/problem has already been dealt with. When I try to use KOTOR tool for TSL, I get an error message saying that my "chitin.key file appers to be corrupt. You may want to reinstall KOTOR to fix this." Problem is: I have reinstalled it and gotten the same message, and the game runs fine, and KOTOR tool works on .2da's at least just fine. So I am wondering if this is just a bug in my version of Kotor tool(vers. 1.0.1768.1782) or if my copy of the game is messed up. Also- everytime I start KT up it asks whether I want to install the newest version: when I click yes, it goes through the installation, and the vers. number doesnt change, and it asks again the next time I boot it up whether I want to install the newest version, which I just did. Any help would be appreciated.
 SpaceAlex
02-19-2005, 8:56 PM
Originally posted by Bimmerman850CSi
Hey- please ignore this if this question/problem has already been dealt with. When I try to use KOTOR tool for TSL, I get an error message saying that my "chitin.key file appers to be corrupt. You may want to reinstall KOTOR to fix this." Problem is: I have reinstalled it and gotten the same message, and the game runs fine, and KOTOR tool works on .2da's at least just fine. So I am wondering if this is just a bug in my version of Kotor tool(vers. 1.0.1768.1782) or if my copy of the game is messed up. Also- everytime I start KT up it asks whether I want to install the newest version: when I click yes, it goes through the installation, and the vers. number doesnt change, and it asks again the next time I boot it up whether I want to install the newest version, which I just did. Any help would be appreciated.

Are you using KT to edit Kotor 2 files or Kotor 1 files. Because if you're using it for K2, then the error is normal, because KOTOR tool doesn't fully support TSL. At least not the version avaible to download.

Anyways. Great job Fred! I'm getting more and more excited to get my hands on it. :D
 Bimmerman
02-19-2005, 9:03 PM
I was using KT to edit both KOTOR 1 and 2 by manually changing the paths when I wanted to switch from one game to another. This only happened when I was editing K2, so if you say its a common error b/c KT does not fully support K2(I didnt know that) then I guess i dont have a problem after all. Thanks for the help.
 Fred Tetra
02-20-2005, 6:10 AM
Mav's correct. The error mesaage appears because the validation being performed is for Kotor 1.
 Lorden Darkblade
02-20-2005, 11:04 AM
I was testing this version of Kotor Tool and I think it still has that problem older versions had with some made robes/armors.
It wont open them
It also said my chitin.key appears to be corrupt, it says it was altered from the official version tho I havent installed anything on my game yet.
Also, where can I find that old .GFF editor that modders used before Kotor Tool could be used to modify items?
 Mav
02-20-2005, 1:27 PM
there is no need to worry about the chitin.key that is just because KotOR tool isn't fully compatible with TSL yet and you can get the old GFF editor by, actually checking the useful tutorial sections and stickies, but I'll do it ofr you this time :)

click here (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=143421)

read section 2.2 c.
 Lorden Darkblade
02-20-2005, 2:41 PM
Ahhh so it is normal that error.
Ok.
Thanks man, I really apreciate :)
 wolverine66
02-20-2005, 5:25 PM
I am having a problem opening the .2da files. If I click on one in a folder I get a message saying that "there is no editor available for that file type". If I try to open one from inside kotor tool it doesn't do anything at all. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
AL
 Fred Tetra
02-20-2005, 5:32 PM
Originally posted by wolverine66
I am having a problem opening the .2da files. If I click on one in a folder I get a message saying that "there is no editor available for that file type". If I try to open one from inside kotor tool it doesn't do anything at all. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
AL

To open 2DA files, either click the 2da shortcut button on the toolbar or choose "Open 2DA file editor" from the Tools menu.
You can select and open the files from within the editor.
 wolverine66
02-20-2005, 5:59 PM
Thanks, for the quick response but it still does not work. It just adds a box to my task bar like there should be another windows but there isn't one.
 johnmedgla
02-20-2005, 6:58 PM
Happens to me too for some reason - the 2da editor opens off screen. Just right click on the 2DA editor button on the task bar and click Maximize.
 wolverine66
02-20-2005, 7:05 PM
Thanks, worked like a charm.
 johnmedgla
02-20-2005, 7:15 PM
Happy to help. It's a minor inconvenience in Fred's (Fantastic!!!) tool.

Have fun editing!
 Fred Tetra
02-20-2005, 7:47 PM
It is probably caused by a bug I discovered in the window state persistance code. If you have a window minimized when it is closed, negative values get stored for the windows location (-32000,-32000, if I remember right). I am adding code to fix this.
 Fred Tetra
02-20-2005, 7:48 PM
Just an update:

I think I have finally figured out a way to handle two cases that never worked right in Kotor Tools Item Properties editor - Disguises and Traps.

Both are unique in that they have a Property and Subtype but no cost table. I somehow missed this in my initial development of the editor.

I *think* I have it working correctly, as an item I made, when equipped, makes you look like Bastilla. I haven't figured out a good test case for the Trap property yet....
 Mav
02-20-2005, 7:50 PM
Sounds great Fred, and sorry but I can't help you with the Trap property I don't even know what it does.:confused:
 Darkkender
02-20-2005, 8:59 PM
This is Great that you found the bug Fred. As to the trap type I think that it is tied to a 2da file I was going over this one a while back in GFF editor.
Page: 19 of 38