Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Kotor Tool - v1.0.2210.16738 (2006-1-19 12:38)

Page: 12 of 38
 Admiral Chemix
07-09-2004, 1:26 PM
having a slight problem, the 2da editor isn't popping up like it should, it acts like it popped up and I see it in the taskbar, but I see no actual window anywhere
 Achilles
07-09-2004, 4:05 PM
Originally posted by Admiral Chemix
having a slight problem, the 2da editor isn't popping up like it should, it acts like it popped up and I see it in the taskbar, but I see no actual window anywhere

It pops up off-screen sometimes. Try the Dock Image Viewer option to correct the problem. I love the tool but this feature seems pretty buggy =(

...either that or I don't know what I'm doing (most likely the real cause).
 Fred Tetra
07-09-2004, 4:33 PM
When any of the Kotor Tool windows behaves in this manner, it is because the "remembered" position of the window (from the last run of Kotor Tool) is off-screen or the size is too small to show. I've had this happen to me only once, so I couldn't figure out what caused the problem. You can fix it by either deleting your settings.xml file, or by editing it, looking for overly large or small numbers in the window position/size values. I've been meaning to add some "sanity-check" code to window positioner/sizer; guess I should add it to the to-do list!

Chemix, can you email me a zipped-up version of your settings.xml file before you 'fix' it?
 Admiral Chemix
07-09-2004, 5:07 PM
thnx fred, deleting the xlm file worked. I still have a cop of the file if needed
 Fizz
07-09-2004, 8:53 PM
Heya guys,i'm having a problem with the kotor tool,well not really a problem you see,but i extracted the appearance.2da file and accidentaly named it kotor_tool.exe,now i can't delete the file becuase it says its in use :P anyone can help on this?
 Doc Valentine
07-10-2004, 12:58 AM
I don't mean to rush you Fred, but how is the progress on the Module editor doing? I do apologize if I seem to be rushing after all you are practically a genius if you can make your own Aurora Toolset for kotor. Really Fred, you show us that there are really no limits to modding. Glad to have your on *our* side. Once again, not rushing, just wondering if there is a date you have set or something to get it done because it is really hard editing maps not seeing what you are doing.

Sincerely,
CM GSCCC
:D
 Doc Valentine
07-11-2004, 3:28 AM
BUMPEDY BUMP BUMP BUMP
 Darth333
07-11-2004, 10:17 AM
Don't worry Gsccc this thread never gets buried very deep and Fred regurlarily comes to the forums. He will answer your post if he thinks it apporpriate.
So pls stop bumping threads up. Read the sticky Holowan Laboratories: Forum Rules and Etiquette (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=127725)concerning) bumping.
 Doc Valentine
07-15-2004, 2:52 AM
Anyone know how he made the .map from m02aa??? Because I think I can figure out a way to save with his demo... Kind of.
 Fred Tetra
07-17-2004, 6:56 PM
OOhhh! OOhhh! I do! I do! :)
 Fred Tetra
07-17-2004, 6:59 PM
Just wanted to thank Illuzion69 for his donation! Two people now!
 StormTrooper789
07-20-2004, 7:09 PM
Originally posted by Admiral Chemix
When this happens never fear, just right click the item in the task bar and click MAXIMIZE!
 Fred Tetra
07-21-2004, 11:31 PM
Just wanted to thank DeathDisco for his donation! Three people now!
 Achilles
07-21-2004, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by Fred Tetra
Just wanted to thank DeathDisco for his donation! Three people now!

HOORAY!
 StormTrooper789
07-22-2004, 9:09 AM
I have a few suggestions for the Kotor Tool. Here they are:

UTD EDITOR:
Allow changing the door between static and not static. Uses the Static entry in GFF Editor.
------
A UTP Editor would be nice. :)

That's all I can think of. ;)
 Fred Tetra
07-22-2004, 5:36 PM
Originally posted by StormTrooper789
I have a few suggestions for the Kotor Tool. Here they are:

UTD EDITOR:
Allow changing the door between static and not static. Uses the Static entry in GFF Editor.
------
A UTP Editor would be nice. :)

That's all I can think of. ;)

What does the Static entry affect?
 Darth Dex
07-22-2004, 5:51 PM
Hey how about you add a .dlg editing tool to KotOr Tool, TK102 made one, but I think a non-DOS based one would be easier.
 Achilles
07-22-2004, 6:10 PM
Originally posted by Darth Dex
Hey how about you add a .dlg editing tool to KotOr Tool, TK102 made one, but I think a non-DOS based one would be easier.

You could do it using GFF Editor, but it would be a huge pain in the...neck. I tried it once, before I discovered the dlg editor would make dialogs, and dlg editor is hands-down the winner in that race.
 StormTrooper789
07-22-2004, 6:11 PM
What does the Static entry affect?

If the static entry equals 0 then the door is able to open. and close. If it equals one the door is just a decoration like when you see a hallway with a door that warps you , behind that openable door is a static door.
All static doors have the name of 'static' and the static entry equalling 1.

The reason why I asked this was so I and others too, could place different doors in place of static ones and still keep their static property using Kotor Tool and not GFF Editor.
 Darth Dex
07-22-2004, 6:43 PM
hmm...yeah i would like a static entry, too!
 Fred Tetra
07-22-2004, 7:59 PM
It should be a relatively easy addition, perhaps an hour or two...

I'll see what I can do. I've been having hard drive problems and I just recently had to do an OS re-install (grrr!)
 StormTrooper789
07-22-2004, 8:03 PM
You should be checking your MBR, Partition Tables, and Error checking your HDD.
This might help your hard drive, oh, and thx for taking the static entry into consideration
 Achilles
07-22-2004, 8:46 PM
I just recently had to do an OS re-install (grrr!)

That'll be me in about an hour. OS freakiness started last night and it looks like a reinstall is the only thing that's gonna save me =(
 Fred Tetra
07-22-2004, 11:52 PM
Actually, the problem stems from a failing drive mechanism; I'm part way to replacing it, thanks to some kind individuals (you know who you are!)
 Fred Tetra
07-23-2004, 5:26 PM
New version of Kotor Tool: v1.0.1664.28435 (2004-7-22)

New features:
* UTD (Door) editor can now alter 'Static' property

* Fix for "hidden" imageviewer when saved position information is corrupt

On a sadder note :( , I'm still having problems with my PC's hard drive; if anyone would like to show their appreciation for my development efforts in Kotor Tool, I could really use a few $$ donation to replace it before it totally wonks out on me. Those interested may contact me at the email address in the readme.txt file (http://kotortool.home.comcast.net/readme.txt) or via PM. Thanks to those who have already donated!!
 Achilles
07-23-2004, 5:39 PM
[B]

* Fix for "hidden" imageviewer when saved position information is corrupt

WOOT!!
 Darth Dex
07-23-2004, 9:40 PM
Yay thanks Fred!
 Fred Tetra
07-24-2004, 12:49 AM
All are welcome, as always!

A limited functionality module editor, basically a version of the demo that can actually "save", is just around the corner.
 Doc Valentine
07-24-2004, 2:48 AM
:bdroid1:Muhuhahahahaha!:bdroid1:
 Darth Dex
07-25-2004, 11:45 AM
Hey Fred did you test the utd door stafe thing it doesn't seem to work work me...Has anyonelse used it?
 Fred Tetra
07-25-2004, 11:49 PM
You can look at two different versions of a Dantooine door that I edited using Kotor Tool's UTD editor:

Before (http://kotortool.home.comcast.net/dan13_stat.utd)

and

After (http://kotortool.home.comcast.net/dan13_stat_off.utd)

Why do you think it is not working?
 Fred Tetra
07-29-2004, 4:09 PM
I'm debating whether to continue spending time developing Kotor Tool. I've invested over 200 hours on it and I've kept going thus far because I felt quite a few people would benefit from it and, to a lesser degree, appreciate the effort. While my HD problem came at a bad time (is there ever a good one?) financially, it did 'open my eyes', so to speak, as to the attitude some folks seem to have.

I think everyone, myself included, has a limit to their altruism, and perhaps I'm nearing mine as I split my time between Kotor Tool development and other things. Since I do it for fun, when the "fun level" drops, so does my interest. It is not like the database managment and other tools I develop for a living, where the effort, while interesting and challenging, also keeps food on the table and roof over my head.

I am not one to make hasty decisions, but as I said, I don't know whether or not I still feel like putting more effort into Kotor Tool.
 StormTrooper789
07-29-2004, 4:12 PM
If you're not going to invest time making it, then make it Open Source and it can live forever! Since all .NET is compatible even some c# programmers could help. Just don't let this tool die OUT.
 Doc Valentine
07-29-2004, 5:28 PM
I'm debating whether to continue spending time developing Kotor Tool. I've invested over 200 hours on it and I've kept going thus far because I felt quite a few people would benefit from it and, to a lesser degree, appreciate the effort. While my HD problem came at a bad time (is there ever a good one?) financially, it did 'open my eyes', so to speak, as to the attitude some folks seem to have.

I think everyone, myself included, has a limit to their altruism, and perhaps I'm nearing mine as I split my time between Kotor Tool development and other things. Since I do it for fun, when the "fun level" drops, so does my interest. It is not like the database managment and other tools I develop for a living, where the effort, while interesting and challenging, also keeps food on the table and roof over my head.

I am not one to make hasty decisions, but as I said, I don't know whether or not I still feel like putting more effort into Kotor Tool.
Well Fred, if you dont release this, i wont be able to release the rest of my mod, it's that simple.
I would go NUTS, if I had to to every planed what i did to manaan. I need your tool badly, the people of Holowan need it badly, Fred when I saw your tool, I thought "well thats great, we can finally show the game makers we dont need them to mod kotor, there is someone among our ranks with enough virtue to create his own tools. If anyone here deserves the highest praise, its you. Dont let the people down now, not when you are so close. You have achieved something, that in the beginning we only dreamed about. Dont stop here. Because if you stop, I will stop. Enough said there.
 Darth Dex
07-29-2004, 5:39 PM
Never mind, Fred it works fine now.
 StormTrooper789
07-29-2004, 5:47 PM
Fred, your tool is so great but if you quit how will we continue to edit KOTOR, how will we have fun, and most importantly how will beginner modders ever get to start modding? I don't think you should quit at all. If it wasn't for your tool then hey...guess...what all these great mods wouldn't even exist. The entire community and I also need that module editor, I've been checking everyday about it. Think about US, what could the consequences be for not having it exist no more for the people. Holowan will shut down, have no more posters, and become ignored, and we don't want that to happen! Don't you see you've created a masterpiece of hard work and determination, that makes you more special than the rest of us. Deep down in your heart you know you want to continue the editor. You are the BEST! WE THE PEOPLE SUPPORT THE EDITOR THAT IS FOR THE PEOPLE AND BY THE PEOPLE!!!! Besides gsccc is making a cool mod and you should support him
 Achilles
07-29-2004, 7:47 PM

Fred,

I completely understand where you're coming from. If you do decide to pursue other interest, please do so knowing that you have my sincerest thanks for all of your hard work. I do hope that KotOR II will pique your modding interests again and that you will return to create yet another tool for the modding community.

Thanks for good times!

Achilles
 Mav
07-29-2004, 9:01 PM
Fred,

Just as Achillies has said I understand where you are coming from, I too have other things to do and will be hanging my modding coat on the rack temporarily, although I will still browse the boards and threads when I can and help out if needed. I as well as almost everyone here owes almost all of our mods to you and with the deepest respect I thank you for what you've done, but I suggest that you browse the forum every now and then and I really hope you come back for KotOR 2 as will I. I don't think you really need to listen to what anyone here tells you as far as whether or not you should give it up, if you are tired of it or have other things to do, do them, because I think that when modding in general you really have to enjoy it to be able to do it right and you shoud only do something if that is what you want to do not because somebody qsks or requests you to. Anyway you have my thanks for making this great tool that let's us do basically everything that we do.

Much Thanks,
Mav

P.S. If you hang it up for a while I'll see you in Winter 2004 ;)
 T7nowhere
07-29-2004, 9:08 PM
If you do decide to pack it in Fred, it will be a sad day to see you leave. I do understand If your leaving becuase it no longer holds any joy for you, this is just a hobby after all Noone pays you to do the work you have put in.

IF it wasn't for the the original KT that extracted files and allowed me to edit 2da's modding KotOR might have just been a short interest to me. You have done GREAT work for the KotOR modding scene and everyone appreciates it. I do however have My own reasons for not chipping what I could.

I hope you do realize that many that use your tool Do so out of a desire to make something fun, to make a mod that will prolong the life of the game so that buying a new game can be avoided for a little longer ;) That was the reason I first persued learning about how this game works and KT made it easyer to browse the files to get a better understanding of the workings.

I have Really appreciated all hours you have put into making KT. You have my thanks.

T7nowhere.
 jedi_5002
07-29-2004, 10:04 PM

First off I would like to say, KotOR Tool is the most useful tool for modding KotOR, in my opinion (and everyone else's too, I'm sure). GREAT work thus far. :clap2::thumbsup::clap2:

I'll understand if you don't want to continue making/updating KT, because it isn't fun anymore. It will be a sad day when/if (please, please be if) you leave. You could also just take a hiatus from making KT, and then go back to work on it if it interests you again. If you do decide to competely leave KotOR, you should come back for KotOR:TSL, because then you can make KT be the most useful tool for modding KotOR:TSL.

[Persuade] You could make the current KT open source if you aren't going to continue making/updating it at all. We can continue to make it better, until you come back for KotOR:TSL and make KT 2.0.xxxx.xxxx. ;)

:fett:
 Jackel
07-30-2004, 2:33 AM
Originally posted by StormTrooper789
Fred, your tool is so great but if you quit how will we continue to edit KOTOR, how will we have fun, and most importantly how will beginner modders ever get to start modding? I don't think you should quit at all. If it wasn't for your tool then hey...guess...what all these great mods wouldn't even exist. The entire community and I also need that module editor, I've been checking everyday about it. Think about US, what could the consequences be for not having it exist no more for the people. Holowan will shut down, have no more posters, and become ignored, and we don't want that to happen! Don't you see you've created a masterpiece of hard work and determination, that makes you more special than the rest of us. Deep down in your heart you know you want to continue the editor. You are the BEST! WE THE PEOPLE SUPPORT THE EDITOR THAT IS FOR THE PEOPLE AND BY THE PEOPLE!!!! Besides gsccc is making a cool mod and you should support him

Really Fred should think abouit himself first and foremost , if he doesnt want to continue he shouldnt. Telling he should think about us is sorry to say selfish , besides , we will continue to mod items , npcs , characters etc with the current tool. Suggesting the Labs will collapse if Fred stops is rediculous.

Fred all i can say is its up to you , your choice , if you stop making any ew versions then obviously youve come to the end of making the tool and i say good luck with what ever you are doing in your life etc.
 StormTrooper789
07-30-2004, 10:19 AM
Let others work on the tool. Pass it on when your done. Release it under the GPL! Linux is open source and look how far and advance it's gotten. I also know some VB.NET and C. I'm not the best but still good.
 TemporaryTomato
07-30-2004, 10:30 AM
Yes, please make KT open source if you don't want to continue making it.:)

It's your choice of course, but it would be nice if other people could continue working on it.
 CDRSeadog
07-30-2004, 1:09 PM
Cest La Vive...you will be missed, Fred Tetra - but not forgotten...as (and I can't remember offhand if it was tk102 or t7nowhere) once said - your KotOR Tool was "The Swiss knife of modding".

That being said - I hope you won't be discouraged from further effort...if I might take a moment to share a personal thought or two (rare for me - but I feel it is appropriate here)...

I'm a former military man - having spent a career in both the Army (originally) and retiring from the Navy. I spent 14 & 1/2 months in a lovely place in Southeast Asia (more specifically known as Vietnam) when I was in the Army (in addition to a later tour in Germany)...my naval career included two offshore tours of Lebanon, Grenada, and culminating in the entire Desert Shield/Desert Storm campaign (or more commonly known as the first Persian Gulf War). I might add that I left the Navy "involuntarily" due to physical handicaps brought about by old war wounds. Be that as it may - many used to comment on how I looked in uniform with all my citations.

Save for either Memorial Day or Veteran's Day - all my citations and experience won't buy me a single cup of coffee (unless I have the $1.50 or so to pay for it). Yet if I tell people I'm an "Online Journalist"...I can't drink enough of the free coffee at any one sitting.

It just goes to show that it is not only what you do in life that counts...but moreso it is how what you do in life is perceived by others that determines your success/reputation, etc...again - cest la vive. I suppose the moral to life would be "Get yourself a damned good Press Agent" *chuckles*.

May the Force be with you in all your future endeavors, Fred Tetra!!
 EnderWiggin
07-30-2004, 1:46 PM
Not many people know me, as I have only been on Holowan for a month, and modding for three weeks. I'm here to tell you that your tool is unbelievable. If we had to do all that KT does in GFF editor, we'd have a lot less modders. No offense or anything, but I personally am surprised at the people who are putting pressure on you to continue. I understand where you're coming from, and I hope you make the decision that's right for you. If you do stay, that's great, and if you don't, that's your decision. No matter what you do, Holowan Labs will back you up. I hope to see you again for KotOR II: TSL, and I hope you have as much success in the rest of your life as you did with the KotOR Tool.

_EW_
 Darth Dex
07-31-2004, 7:49 AM
Sorry to see you go Fred. You have done so much for Holowan hopefully you'll be back soon.
 lord_blodgett
07-31-2004, 1:41 PM
I have been in and out of these boards for a while now, and hate to see you go as well, but agree that you have to do what is right for you.

(Truth be told if your problems hadn't coincided with mine, I would have sent money your way, but that's a tale for another time.)

Hopefully you will continue to make your tool available for use even if you don't open the code for others, though I wouldn't mind looking at it just out of curiosity (programming is one of my hobbies even though I don't have much time to indulge these days).

Best of luck, and as others have said,

May the Force Be With You.
 seawolfe
08-01-2004, 1:45 PM
Being new to the Kotor modding scene I just wanted to say thanks for what you have done. Your tool helped me understand quite a bit in a short time.

Being old to the "general" modding scene I can understand how you feel. Once you get tired of something you want to move on .. or read a book or 5 or get out with the wife or something .. so go have a life.

Oh .. but before you go .. hehe .. could you make it so that the tool overides the default files (preferably by setting a different "override" directory in the prefernces)

Thanks
 jedi_5002
08-02-2004, 5:27 PM
I just tried to edit a character's inventory, and... I CAN'T!?!!? It tells me "Object reference not set to an instance of an object." This happens on the 1.0.1636.25345 version and the 1.0.1664.28435 version. With the 1.0.1530.39101 version, it says that it can't find dialog.tlk. I put it in the place where it expects to find it, and it says the same thing as the 1.0.16xx.xxxx versions.

Achilles
08-02-2004, 6:26 PM
Originally posted by jedi_5002
I just tried to edit a character's inventory, and... I CAN'T!?!!? It tells me "Object reference not set to an instance of an object." This happens on the 1.0.1636.25345 version and the 1.0.1664.28435 version. With the 1.0.1530.39101 version, it says that it can't find dialog.tlk. I put it in the place where it expects to find it, and it says the same thing as the 1.0.16xx.xxxx versions.

What were you trying to add and what was the character you were trying to add it too. That might help us to answer your question.
Page: 12 of 38