Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Kotor Tool - v1.0.2210.16738 (2006-1-19 12:38)

Page: 10 of 38
 Prime
03-24-2004, 1:17 PM
It is indeed a tough time in the software business. I'm very thankful I have held onto my job so far through all the craziness...
 shosey
03-24-2004, 9:59 PM
I shouldn't say that my future looks hopeless, I am getting a second interview with the FBI next month (wish me luck) :)
 darthviper107
03-24-2004, 11:39 PM
You know how the Texture .tpc files have parts on top of each other? Well, how can you use KOTOR Tools to separate them?
 Fred Tetra
03-25-2004, 12:49 AM
Could you be more specific? How about the name of the texture in question, to start...
 Weiser_Cain
03-25-2004, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by darthviper107
You know how the Texture .tpc files have parts on top of each other? Well, how can you use KOTOR Tools to separate them? Are you talking about the alpha channel?
 Jackel
03-25-2004, 1:47 AM
Originally posted by shosey
I shouldn't say that my future looks hopeless, I am getting a second interview with the FBI next month (wish me luck) :)

i swear that girl was 18 :eek:

i mean "good luck with the interview"
 shosey
03-25-2004, 2:28 AM
hehe, thanks :)
 wrongo
03-26-2004, 10:30 AM
Do you planning some tlk or dialog edit tool?
Because we want to translate to everthing from the dialog.tlk to Hungarian language. Unfortunately we didn't find any good editor to our work.
 Prime
03-26-2004, 12:55 PM
There would be a lot of text to translate...
 Shimaon
03-28-2004, 12:15 AM
Hey Fred, got a suggestion that occurred to me a while ago:
How about a small wizard for the 2DA editor, that if you're editing appearance.2da, you can type in a head number and a tag, and it will automatically create three rows of appearances for a PC. If you can do this I'd be glad to send you some example files of what a finished product should look like in case you don't know (doubtful, heh).

Shimaon
 Fred Tetra
03-28-2004, 6:46 PM
Sure, send them along. Right now, I am concentrating on the Module Editor, but if it something that could be done quickly, I might squeeze it in.

A few things recently added to KT:
The image viewer can now create a .TXI file from the image info text when you save an image file to disk

More descriptions added for some resources that I've figured out.

The module editor can now create and edit Triggers, which can be used to activate a script when a player enters it, or to place a trap, such as plasma mine. You can also reshape and move a Trigger once it has been created.
 Darth333
03-31-2004, 1:56 PM
Originally posted by wrongo
Do you planning some tlk or dialog edit tool?

I second that. Not that I have plans to translate the entire Kotor dialogue files but simply because there is no good dialogue editor yet, especially when we want to add new lines to existing files.
Is it part of your plans Fred?

Anyways, even if its not, KT is already a great tool. Thanks for all your work.
 svцsh
03-31-2004, 7:23 PM
I just wanted to say thanks for the excellent tool you have created to help enhance this already great game. I modified Jedi outcast a bit but this is all new to me. Your tool has made it both simple and enjoyable and is quite easy to use.

Take Bow Fred you deserve it !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :grnbounc:
 Shimaon
04-04-2004, 5:06 PM
Hey Fred,
I thought I'd just poke my head in and see how things are coming. I never got an email back from you, you got that 2DA file I sent you, right? If so, have you tried a hand at making the wizard?
Also, I'm astounded with what you have in it so far, so I wanna ask, what other features are you going to add to the Area Editor before you release it?

Thanks for a great editing tool,
Shimaon
 darthviper107
04-04-2004, 7:37 PM
About the textures, I open the texture for Darth Revan with KT and save it as a tga. But there are texture parts that are on top of each other, is there a way to separate them?
 tk102
04-13-2004, 10:18 PM
Fred,

In the next update, how about a new icon. It just hurts me that you have such a great utility with the current hard-to-see icon. Not that this is much better but:
http://img6.imageshack.us/my.php?loc=img6&image=98.gif)
 pascalneder009
04-14-2004, 6:45 AM
When is this going to be released (the module editor)

You can make an whole battle with it like Mandalorians vs Jedi
 Fred Tetra
04-15-2004, 2:34 AM
When I am back from "vacation" and.....

wait for it.....

"When it is finished." :D

I've been very busy with non-development stuff and will likely continue to be for a little while. However, I do intend on completing it.
 T7nowhere
04-15-2004, 7:59 AM
Hey Fred, I have a request. Could you make KT scan override, when the files start getting into the 400 to 500 range it can get a little disorganized. So if you could add that to the next version when you get back to it.

I know it seems like we are always asking you to add something new and not giving anything back to ya, So if there is something I could do for just ask. Im sure there are other modders around here that would attempt any mod requests you have.

Oh and the second thing is this thread is getting little big. so when I get some time I'll trim it down abit for you. :)
 Fred Tetra
05-06-2004, 2:35 PM
The Kotor Tool download site is back up.

New URL:
Kotor Tool (http://kotortool.home.comcast.net/kotor_tool.zip)

Read Me file:
readme.txt (http://kotortool.home.comcast.net/readme.txt)
 Prime
05-06-2004, 3:37 PM
Thanks Fred!
 Fred Tetra
05-28-2004, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Fred Tetra
The Kotor Tool download site is back up.

New URL:
Kotor Tool (http://kotortool.home.comcast.net/kotor_tool.zip)

Read Me file:
readme.txt (http://kotortool.home.comcast.net/readme.txt)

There's actually a web page now! (FWIW)
Kotor Tool site (http://kotortool.home.comcast.net/index.html)
 T7nowhere
05-28-2004, 9:43 PM
cool, I'll add it to tools and mods.
 Weiser_Cain
05-29-2004, 12:42 AM
Hmmm, this version actually works for me again, I hadn't tried any of the versions between when I crashed whenever I tried to open a 2da file that I'd extracted and now. I guess I'll start modding KOTOR seriously again...
 T7nowhere
05-29-2004, 1:05 AM
Originally posted by Weiser_Cain
Hmmm, this version actually works for me again, I hadn't tried any of the versions between when I crashed whenever I tried to open a 2da file that I'd extracted and now. I guess I'll start modding KOTOR seriously again...

Hey :) it will be great to see more of your work WC :)
 Fred Tetra
06-09-2004, 8:06 AM
New version released - v1.0.1619.28842 (2004-6-7)

Highlights:

* Minor Bug fixes

* Module Editor - demo mode

You can download this new version here (http://kotortool.home.comcast.net).

If you'd like to try out the Module Editor demo, after unarchiving the new version of Kotor Tool, you'll find a .map and .git file in the directory; move these to your Override directory.

Some Module Editor features:

* Click on an item in the left treeview to see where that item is on the map

* Most items can be repositioned by clicking on them and dragging

* Trigger zones can be reshaped by left clicking on a vertex of the zone

* Trigger zones can be moved by shift-left clicking on a vertex of the zone

* Many items from the right treeview can be placed on the map by dragging them onto the map image

* Triggers can be created by dragging them onto the map, then left clicking at each desired vertex. To finish, either left click on the first vertex or right click anywhere else to auto-complete the trigger

* Editing and Property viewing can be done for many items by right clicking on them either on the map or in the left treeview

Enjoy!

Fred
 Darth333
06-09-2004, 8:37 AM
That's great news for the modding community Fred ! Thanks for all your great work! :)
 T7nowhere
06-09-2004, 8:48 AM
It's always great when you bring out a new version of KT Fred. :D
 Fred Tetra
06-09-2004, 9:00 AM
I wish I had more time to work on it!

It has been very busy around here for the last few months, as I have moved to a new city - last night I was installing a new faucet in the kitchen until 11:30 pm (happy happy joy joy!) - so mundane tasks are eating up precious coding time.

However, I hope all of you will try out the new Module Editor to see where I'm going with KT. I am also working on a model ex/import function for it. Cchargin has given me permission to rewrite his tools from perl to VB.NET. I may or may not succeed, but I'll give it a shot! At the very least, I can call his tool from KT, just like I do for the script decompiler.
 Fizz
06-09-2004, 9:18 AM
The new tool is pretty good,though whats the Naive Error? :p i can't save?

EDIT:i just tried it out,well the NPC generics i dragged and placed in the map did not appear,also the map seems to be littered with..stuff..like a computer panel,an engine of sorts and the sonic repellant thingies found on Kashyyk,but the stuff i dragged in did not appear.
 Prime
06-09-2004, 9:31 AM
Looking forward to trying it out Fred! :D
 Lorden Darkblade
06-09-2004, 10:15 AM
At the end of the extracting I get a error.
Let me post here the image.

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/8826/error2.jpg)

What is this?
I have the .NET installed.
 Fred Tetra
06-09-2004, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Fizz
The new tool is pretty good,though whats the Naive Error? :p i can't save?

EDIT:i just tried it out,well the NPC generics i dragged and placed in the map did not appear,also the map seems to be littered with..stuff..like a computer panel,an engine of sorts and the sonic repellant thingies found on Kashyyk,but the stuff i dragged in did not appear.

You Naive User, you! Trying to save! (heh heh)

Do you mean that you attempted to add things to the map, but they didn't appear there in the editor, or that you actually tried to go to the map in KotOR?

There are are bunch of "out of place" items on the map provided; I was just performing a test ;) If you go to the apartment (hideout) you'll find all sorts of stuff lying around. There used to be a Firaxa swimming around, too!

You can replace my .git file with one you extract using KT. I just included one because there's always someone who won't read instructions, you know?
 Fred Tetra
06-09-2004, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by ReLoaD2K
At the end of the extracting I get a error.
Let me post here the image.

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/8826/error2.jpg)

What is this?
I have the .NET installed.

I'ts the WinAce self-extractor that's generating that error, from what I can see. Can't help you out directly; perhaps I'll post a compressed-only version on the site. Check back later.
 Fizz
06-09-2004, 12:06 PM
Oh...,i did'nt bother with the reading part apparently hehehehe :p However,thanks for the help Fred Tetra :D

EDIT:btw where can i find the .map files?Also i tried adding things but they don't seem to appear when i go to the actual map is there something wrong?considering i loaded a game and not started a new one.
 Fred Tetra
06-09-2004, 4:02 PM
You can only edit the in-memory version of the map. If you could save, you'd be able to see your changes in the game.

The Module Editor demo is just that...a demo. The intention is for people to be able to see what the user interface is like and to see that such a thing really does exist as opposed to promiseware(tm) :)
 Fizz
06-09-2004, 4:34 PM
Ah ok now i understand,well so far good job on that i must say :D Can't wait for your next release!
 Darth333
06-09-2004, 7:17 PM
hey Fred, as I mentionned this morning ( or whatever time it was for you) you did a great job. Without KT many of us wouldn't be modding Kotor. Just a small comment: don't you think such a great tool needs a new image like a new icon per example? A good friend of mine has some icons ready if you want :)
 Darth Khasei
06-09-2004, 8:01 PM
Fred I bow to your GREAT programing skills and you KOTOR tool, it is a godsend :angel:
 lord_blodgett
06-10-2004, 8:03 AM
Just when I ~*FINALLY*~ got back to playing Morrowind (bought, played it for a week before getting distracted by oh so may other games, inlcuding KotoR), Fred shows up with this.

MUST RESIST TEMPTATION TO RE - INSTALL KOTOR IMMEDIATELY ...

Who am I kidding? It's still on my hard drive. Awesome work, and I can't wait for the next release.
 Poggle
06-10-2004, 8:20 AM
Cant wait to try it out fred great work :thumbsup:
 Ellderon
06-10-2004, 8:05 PM
I haven't been around for awhile, but now that I see what a great tool you've done (still doing!), I'm very much tempted to start modding KOTOR again....

Yes....:D
 Weiser_Cain
06-11-2004, 12:04 AM
Say how about adding a search feature? I've been looking for all the juhani content(wavs mostly). And I thought this would be a nice feature.
 illuzion69
06-11-2004, 5:52 AM
all hail the godfather of kotor modding :worship:
 Fred Tetra
06-11-2004, 5:25 PM
New version of Kotor Tool: v1.0.1622.22807 (2004-6-10)

This version adds the ability to extract and convert a .mdl file from the BIFs portion of the treeview, along with the required TGA textures for the model.

You will need CChargin's Extract0-5 utility installed in the same directory as Kotor Tool to use this feature. The extracted files will be placed in (Kotor Tool Dir)\working\(model name).

You can get the Extract utility here (http://cchargin.home.comcast.net/kotor/index.html)

On a sadder note :( , I'm having problems with my PC's hard drive; if anyone would like to show their appreciation for my development efforts in Kotor Tool, I could really use a few $$ donation to replace it before it totally wonks out on me. Those interested may contact me at the email address in the readme.txt file (http://kotortool.home.comcast.net/readme.txt) or via PM. Thanks!
 illuzion69
06-12-2004, 4:10 AM
I don't see the dl for the new version on your site. there is the one from 6/7/04 and 4/11/04. i just want to double check to make sure i didn't miss it somewhere.
 Fred Tetra
06-12-2004, 8:16 AM
The topmost link on the "Download" section of the page always points to the latest version, even when I forget to update the text :)
 Doom_Dealer
06-12-2004, 9:09 AM
im having some problems with the module editor, i cant seem to use it,

i get an error message when i click the button :(

and i cant see any1 else who has posted with a similar problem or something in the readme.

am i missing something here?
 illuzion69
06-12-2004, 4:23 PM
Thanks Fred. I can't wait to get home and try it out. Your the man!!!:monkey4:
 Lorden Darkblade
06-16-2004, 1:50 PM
I still get the same error when extracting the Tool.
Any possible way to me fix it?
Page: 10 of 38