Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

dll/qvm problemo

Page: 1 of 1
 Comet
11-29-2003, 1:20 AM
I've been learning c and c++ for a bit, and i decided to make a mod. however when i try to view the testmod (thought it wise to do what the thing gave me for a test) i get an error, this happens when loading a map with the mod.
Heres the pic for you...

http://comet.jmfemedia.net/ah.jpg)

i only have the mod's .dll in a pk3 and a description.txt in its folder..

My question is should i be using a specific compiler/writer or something?, because im using a d/led one as i cant aford microsofts visual c++..
 Wudan
11-29-2003, 12:19 PM
How in the hell did you get a .qvm? It's supposed to be loading .dlls.

I'll be using Dev-Cpp, which uses the MingW compiler system. If it works I'll post a tutorial and source/project files at mt-wudan (http://www.mt-wudan.com/).

You can't blame Raven though, I'm sure they had their reasons.
 razorace
11-29-2003, 9:15 PM
Well, at least we know that .qvms should still technically work. :)
 Comet
11-30-2003, 9:26 AM
:) thanks for the advice, i have it fixed, im now using visual c++ 6.0 i got off a mate, getting other stupid errors now like:

"g_weapon.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _RegisterItem
g_weapon.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _BG_FindItemForWeapon
Debug/game.dll : fatal error LNK1120: 65 unresolved externals
Error executing link.exe.

game.dll - 66 error(s), 0 warning(s)"

*mutters* and before you ask no the .sln isn't in because if it is i get no compiler supports it, and i cant change the thing that teh tutorial wants...

again help would be good of you guys
 Wudan
11-30-2003, 12:08 PM
http://www.codeproject.com/tools/prjconverter.asp)

This is from another thread in this forum, it'll convert the .sln for you.

Everybody else who has done this says that it'll work.
 Comet
11-30-2003, 12:55 PM
Ok i've done that, it makes a prjconverter in the same folder as it is in, what do i do with this?, it still says "visual c++ version 7.00" if i look inside..
 Wudan
11-30-2003, 8:45 PM
You convert the .sln to a .dsw with it.

When I get MSVC 6 I can write a tutorial on it.
 Comet
11-30-2003, 9:44 PM
It works i have done most of my mod now i need to get a few things sorted, will post new thread bout that :P
 recombinant
12-28-2003, 4:53 AM
Has it been confirmed that we cannot create QVMs at all? Or are we limited to DLLs on Windows and Shared Objects on Linux?

(...and any clues about what component model the Mac version uses???)

Thanks!

:clone:
 recombinant
12-28-2003, 5:10 AM
I may have answered my own question...

It looks like lcc (formerly distributed with the JK2 sdk) is specifically a C compiler, and since C++ has been introduced it can't be used for compiling JKA sdk code.

Does this sound like a plausible reason?

:holosid:
 Fracman
12-28-2003, 8:47 AM
Is there JA running on Linux (i mean the full game, not only the dedicated server? If yes, there must be a way to do QVM files.

Couldn't we use gcc instead of lcc?
 Wudan
12-28-2003, 12:36 PM
Use gcc, get .so (Shared Object) files, these work on Linux.
 recombinant
12-29-2003, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by Fracman
Is there JA running on Linux (i mean the full game, not only the dedicated server? If yes, there must be a way to do QVM files.

...in answer to this particular question, the answer is no. Sure, you can use gcc to compile it for linux, but it would be for the dedicated server only, since there isn't a Game UI.

Since we're creating a single-player TC kind of thing, and not a multiplayer/server-side mod, the primary platforms we would build for at this point are basically just Win32 and Mac OSX (I don't think you can install mods on XBox, but I could be mistaken. In which case I'm assuming the DLL version should work on it - but I could be mistaken in that too!! :rolleyes: ).

Which brings up a question on my part...

Does anyone know if Raven (or Aspyr) have provided any information regarding building the SDK on/for Mac OSX?

:holosid:
Page: 1 of 1