Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Recoving my map....

Page: 1 of 1
 Whitey
11-23-2003, 6:59 AM
Okay.. I may be stupid.. But my .map file for my map is gone.. and I don't think I deleted it... but.. ah well.. back to the point.

Is there anyway to get the .map out of the .bsp?

P.S.. It's midnight and I can't think strait, so my writing may be a lil.. screwy
 Mr. Chopper
11-23-2003, 7:36 AM
Nope, sorry. You can always try an undelete utility, you may have deleted it and not realized it.
 wannadie
11-23-2003, 10:29 AM
Did GTK save it as the "autosave.map" file? You use GTK?
 lassev
11-23-2003, 10:59 AM
Radiant creates a .bak file. That's the second latest map version (save) with just a different file name extension. Rename the mymapname.bak file to mymapname.map and you'll have your precious map back.
 WadeV1589
11-23-2003, 12:09 PM
Converting a BSP to a MAP: http://www.gamingforums.com/showthread.php?t=97941)

Anyone else notice how recently the same question seems to be asked by multiple people within a period of around 3 days? It's like everyone is doing the same things at the same time.
 wedge2211
11-23-2003, 3:11 PM
You can also look in the maps/snapshots directory for a file like yourmap.map.0 and then rename the file to yourmap.map.
 Whitey
11-24-2003, 11:41 PM
OHH I love you all!!! lol Thanks so much.. i got my baby back lol
 AAW*reflex*
11-25-2003, 11:40 AM
My trick. Do a bit save as 0001.map. Then BSP it, try it.

Do some more, save as 0002.map. Then BSP it, try it. . . . ect . . .

You may end up with a few old files, but you are always a step behind with backups. Just delete them when your finished making your map.
 Kengo
11-25-2003, 6:35 PM
Originally posted by AAW*reflex*
My trick. Do a bit save as 0001.map. Then BSP it, try it.

Do some more, save as 0002.map. Then BSP it, try it. . . . ect . . .

You may end up with a few old files, but you are always a step behind with backups. Just delete them when your finished making your map.

Yeh, very sound advise. Too many people loose some or all of their work on a map because of some unspecified problem, its always worth keeping incremental backups. They hardly take up that much room, and its very much safer. I probabaly take it to extreme, when I finish a map I sometimes have 30 or more incrementals...but that is just because I once lost a map and had to work very hard to get it back, and then only like half of it.

Also, personally I'd say make sure those snapshots are turned on in GTK (I think they are off by default), they are very useful as a final line of backup.
 ZH@o YuN
11-29-2003, 2:33 PM
WADE! Thank you so much for that bsp to map advice, I never thought it was possible! :D
Page: 1 of 1