Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

JKA: Vehicles WIP - Speeder Bike, STAP & Dewback Pix

Page: 1 of 15
 monsoontide
10-05-2003, 12:40 AM
Images have been updated and are now on page 2 & 3!
 Pnut_Man
10-05-2003, 1:14 AM
I really like what i'm seeing here :D
 El Sitherino
10-05-2003, 2:32 AM
sweet! I love that dewback.
 mariners2001
10-05-2003, 3:17 AM
:drop2:

ooooooo.....this is what jka is gonna be all about....we just need some massive maps
 DarkLord60
10-05-2003, 3:29 AM
You are a modeling god!
 king yoda
10-05-2003, 12:53 PM
the stap bike looks cool.
 CortoCG
10-07-2003, 2:46 AM
Nice work monsoon. You know what you are doing, I can tell =). Keep up!.
 monsoontide
10-07-2003, 2:48 AM
Here's the in progress Sith Speeder & an partially textured Scout Trooper

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~monsoontide/NewFiles/SithSpeederWIP.jpg)

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~monsoontide/NewFiles/Scout_WIP.jpg)

Monsoontide
 CortoCG
10-07-2003, 4:52 AM
Wow, now that scout impresses me. Nice fine job in there.
 king yoda
10-07-2003, 11:10 AM
i agree. itґs amazing.
 GothiX
10-07-2003, 11:25 AM
Spiffy.. :D
 MuRaSaMuNe
10-07-2003, 4:16 PM
Nice! I wonder if you can make a vehicle (like the transport in Ep2) in which you can have passengers with you, and some who can shoot the lasers? :cool: The bantha is my fav :D
 monsoontide
10-07-2003, 5:27 PM
I was looking through the .veh file and there is a line for number of passengers - all are set to 1 currently and I'm not sure how to add the extra rider TAGS.

So I believe it's possible - just yet to be done!

Monsoontide
 t3rr0r
10-07-2003, 7:17 PM
Originally posted by monsoontide
I was looking through the .veh file and there is a line for number of passengers - all are set to 1 currently and I'm not sure how to add the extra rider TAGS.
that would allow for some cool vehicles then... like luke's landspeeder. :D
 Emon
10-07-2003, 11:04 PM
tag_passenger*? * = number.
 DarkLord60
10-07-2003, 11:21 PM
:eek: That is amazing wow I like your work better than LEC's
 monsoontide
10-07-2003, 11:48 PM
EMON - I'm guessing that's pretty close!

I managed to get one of the models from Lightwave into a MD3 thismorning, so once all the textures are done and I've fine-tuned everything on that one model, I'll have a go at making it into a vehicle!
Once I get the process worked out - all the others should be fairly easy (Except the animals - since I'll need to work out how to animate them - I hope I don't need to do anything with XSi or 3DSmax!)

As for the scout trooper - I need help with the "bone weighting" & tags etc and just getting him from a model into the game. If anyone can provide assistance, that would be really cool.

(I also modeled his blaster - either to go on the model or perhaps someone can point me in the direction of a gun-making tutorial for JK - Thanks :) )

Monsoontide

BTW - I'll be releasing these vehicles individually for everyone to use, although I have some plans to use some in a couple of my maps.

Hey! Flying the lambda shuttle in JK:JA is cool! Too bad the control method for space-ships really suck - Hmmm, I wonder if they can be adjusted!
 sights0d
10-07-2003, 11:54 PM
Holy Crap! I thought the pic of the Dewback was from a movie until I looked closer! I don't know if I'll be able to get that to run on my computer! It's freaking BEAUTIFUL!!!
 Duncan_10158
10-08-2003, 12:34 AM
monsoontide, i have seen you thread just now. i am working on a STAP and a speeder bike too, but i dont want to be a competition for you nor the other way around, so way not working togehter? one thing we should discuss, thats the naming of the models, so people can get both of our model without getting trouble. i named them >stap< and >speeder_bike<, the folders and those things you know. we both could give it a second addition so its clearer which model is which. what names do you use?

Your Dewback is realy great, but for animated models you need to use the XSI way. it doesnt work with milkshape and modelview, because you have to create a .gla animation file for it. but if you want we could work together on that. i already made new animation, its my droideka model and it will work the same way like your Dewback will. i am still working on that to figure out some more possibileties.

i could also help you with the scout trooper weighting, but i think there is already a scouttrooper released for JO, but i am not sure.

so what you think, better work together then against each other?
 monsoontide
10-08-2003, 3:06 AM
Duncan_10158 - I've only just started actually naming the files mine all have the prefix - JA - eg. JA_Stap
so no real problem there - people can pick and choose - I think it's always good to have variety, so a little bit of competition there is fine. - Do you have any pix of your work?

I would however really appreciate any help animating the Dewback & Acklay as I don't have XSi.

Also help with the scout trooper would be great - You're right, there was an untextured Beta version of a scout trooper released for JO, but since it's never been finished, I wanted to do my own for the speeder bike.

Monsoontide
 Duncan_10158
10-08-2003, 8:55 AM
great, lets work together. here is the thread on my models:

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=114003)

about the file names, i have a suggestion, lets both add a suffix, my model would be named >stap_dun< and yours >stap_mon<? if the only difference is you got a JA prefix, people will get confused. they think my model must be for JO then, or some even more confusing :)

i also saw your tag and skin problem. i dont know exaxtly about the skins, it could be something wrong in your model_default.skin file, your texture has a wrong size proportion (128x128, 256x256, 512x512 or 1024x1024) or an incorrect path name or file name.
i add the tag right in the modeling program as small triangles and export it with the model. but dont know that for milkshake.

it would be also cool if we compare our .veh files. surely it would be fun if our vehicles are different in driving, but one shouldnt be two times faster, you know. that makes people download both of our models :)
 monsoontide
10-08-2003, 1:36 PM
Glad you've managed to get your models in-game.
Are you using 3DS or GMAX?

What did you call your tags?
just *driver
or tag_*driver?

I don't think people will get confused though, since vehicles are only in Jedi Academy. But your plan is sound, so I have no objections.:)

Ya know - can I send my stap.glm your way and see if you can get it to work?

Monsoontide
 Duncan_10158
10-08-2003, 10:52 PM
I use 3ds max for modeling, this way i can make new animations too.
all the tag are named bolt_something, for ex. bolt_driver. there is no >*< in the word. the center is the gravitational center, you know. the middle of the triangle shows what have to be there.

i am very happy about your agree to a naming convention, that will make our work much less confusing, thanks.

if you want you can sent me your .glm file, posibly an exported 3ds version. if you like i can sent you my model in exchange. you can take look at them in game and you can see my solution to the driver problem.

take also a look in my thread, i answerd your question there too.
 monsoontide
10-08-2003, 11:09 PM
A-ha!

That me be the problem.
I was working of an example in another thread that stated that the tags should be *rider.
I checked the swoop.glm and it imported with *driver, so I used:
*driver
*muzzle1
*muzzle2
*exhaust1
*exhaust2

I expect quake doesn't like the * glyph.

so then I take it your syntax is:
bolt_driver
bolt_muzzle1
bolt_muzzle2
bolt_exhaust1
bolt_exhaust2

Sorry to spread these replies over two threads!
Perhaps we should condense them into a combined thread?

Anyways, will try that when I get home and if it doesn't change anything, will send you the model as per my other reply :)

Monsoontide :sweating:
 Zappa_0
10-09-2003, 12:35 AM
Hey those look great, you have anything else in mind of making later on? Also when do you think you will release those? I cant wait to see them in game, their gonna rock.
 Neverhoodian
10-09-2003, 10:39 PM
I like what I'm seeing here. The scout trooper looks great, and the dewback looks just phenomenal! It's great that JA modders are fufilling gamer's wishes for more variety with vehicles.
 monsoontide
10-09-2003, 11:15 PM
Currently working with Duncan_10158 to get one of the models in-game. Once we can sort this process out - it should be fairly easy to get the rest of the static models in game.
Will post updated pix when that happens. :wan:
 reaper1576
10-10-2003, 2:41 PM
can we say man babys
 Duncan_10158
10-10-2003, 3:05 PM
monsoontide, could you sent me the files again, thanks.
 monsoontide
10-10-2003, 3:18 PM
.glm
.md3
.ms3d
.lwo
.skin
.qc
.jpg
.tga
.skin

Hope you'll be able to make better use of these. Plus I renamed them to stap_MST - Mon-Soon-Tide ;)

No Really! I did attach the files this time!:D
 MuRaSaMuNe
10-10-2003, 9:31 PM
Very nice. Are you planning to release all these in a pack with a map or a mod or something? Or is this just an individual project?
 monsoontide
10-10-2003, 10:03 PM
Possibly.

I have plans for a couple of them for a siege_map I am working on.

The rest I was just going to release when they're done for people to use in their own maps - much in the way you currently download player models.
Though I'll probably package them according to a theme
e.g. speeders, beasts etc or maybe by movie e.g. Phantom Menace, Return Of The Jedi etc

Not at that point yet, so haven't really thought about it!

Should have some pix of Anakins Speeder up this weekend (It's about 85% modeled)
 The Cheat
10-11-2003, 12:15 AM
wow, very impressive, i thought that the pic of the dewback was a ref pic you were using, just amazing

i cant wait for these things to be released
 Kengo
10-11-2003, 9:43 AM
Wow Monsoontide...talk about multi talented! Not only do Raven go ahead and give us NPC models galore to play with for SP maps...you work on a tonne of new creatures and vehicles as well! This is really great for the community, and very exciting! :rddance:
 Scoundrel
10-11-2003, 10:05 AM
Amazing! I first though that Devback is pic from movie. And that sith speeder... Impressive, really impressive. And Aclay? I'm really waiting towards to get this.

I dunno about that STAP. It looks pretty much like the one Duncan did, but textures are better.

When are you going to release these? I cant wait.

And after those, what are you going to do? More vehicles?
 t3rr0r
10-11-2003, 2:58 PM
Originally posted by Scoundrel
I dunno about that STAP. It looks pretty much like the one Duncan did, but textures are better.
they differ in height, as duncan chose to fit the model to the animation.
 The Cheat
10-11-2003, 3:04 PM
yea the hard part is going to be making these things ridable i believe since he will have to make new postures for the riders instead of using the existing ones like duncan did, although if it works it should improve the quality of the final product
 monsoontide
10-12-2003, 6:59 AM
Hey folks! :D

Well, with Duncan_10158's help, we've managed to get my stap model in game. It's a wee bit on the small side (currently - will be fixed) and I have to work out several conversion issues for my models before I can give them to Duncan for converting to in-game but I should work it this week so we can work on getting them finished.
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~monsoontide/NewFiles/stapingame.jpg)

Also working on this model to go with the speeder bike and Scout - No! Really! It will look good! ;)
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~monsoontide/NewFiles/EwokGlider_WIP.jpg)
As part of an MP Endor map

And finally, nearly have Anakins speeder from EP2 done. Just have to work on blending and sharpening the textures so there's no seams. (These textures are VERY incomplete!)
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~monsoontide/NewFiles/AniSpeedWIP.jpg)

Thanks to everyone for their continuing support and assistance.

In the meanwhile, Duncan_10158 has released his Speeder_Bike and Stap models for download, so check them out too!
 Scoundrel
10-12-2003, 7:46 AM
Wow! That Anakins Speeder is very cool. I first thought that you menat speeder bike. This is much cooler. Can there be two people in it?
 recon
10-12-2003, 8:19 AM
wow im amazed at how cool that render looks ! GW :D
 DarkLord60
10-12-2003, 3:11 PM
Wow I can't wait for this! those look amazing!
 Gonkish
10-14-2003, 2:12 AM
HOLY CRAP.

I love you.

Can I make a request? An ISD and/or a Corellian Corvette? (not for a remake of the opening scene of ANH, but.. yeah for the hell of it..)

ALL OF THAT is fantastic, man.
 The_Mega_ZZTer
10-14-2003, 2:17 AM
 Pedro The Hutt
10-14-2003, 6:43 AM
That's all good.... minus the speeder that Anakin nabbed on Coruscant, it looks a bit.. flat, even for the speeder. But nice job on it besides that nitpicky detail.
 Scoundrel
10-14-2003, 9:39 AM
Any updates? Man, you go to release some of these soon. Those are fabulous.
 monsoontide
10-14-2003, 2:27 PM
O.K.

Well, Duncan is just putting the finishing touches on my version of the STAP. Of course owing to the wierd way RAVEN decided to put riders on the vehicles, it's currently impossible to fit the riders to the vehicles properly. (As I've mentioned before, instead of just having a driver tag, they should hav had feet and hand position tags too - but that creates problems with the player animations I'd imagine)

Anyway, I'm just finalizing the skins for the rest of the vehicles, and I sent Duncan_10158 the Dewback to start working on animation and make sure the mesh is OK for animating.

Will release the unpainted mesh with the models so people can reskin the models as they wish.
 sights0d
10-14-2003, 3:10 PM
I wonder if you could contact Raven and ask them for help w/ the animations and stuff first.
 t3rr0r
10-14-2003, 4:05 PM
looking good, mon (i feel like i'm speaking with a jamaican accent)... although, the stap looks like a mini-stap... did you take that while you were tweaking the files?
 Tesla
10-14-2003, 4:32 PM
Man, your one damn good Moddeler :D

My fav so far is the Sith Speeder, hehehe, when thats in game i can use the Darth Maul npc i've put in game and ride around Sith Style :D

Can't wait till there all finished. ;)
 t3rr0r
10-14-2003, 6:08 PM
ooh! i just had a thought... what about a dooku speeder? :O
Page: 1 of 15