Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

JKA: Vehicles WIP - Speeder Bike, STAP & Dewback Pix

Page: 5 of 15
 SpecialForces
11-05-2003, 1:58 AM
glad someone likes it :)

monsoontide, are you gona make the aklay bigger?
And that would be really cool if the ewok glider glided, is that how its gona be or is it going to be like a jet?

Good thing about having to wait is that allot more models will be out by the time I get it :)
still sucks though...
 Duncan_10158
11-05-2003, 9:03 AM
ok, i finaly fixed the fault i made with the dewback, the animation i made till now workes right now. i am correcting the size and the driver possition now, when i am done that, the dewback is redy for a first beta. we need to figur out his movement speed, and all the animation that would look good on it.

btw, never ever mirror bones! in 3ds max it workes but JA cant handle it and you get horrible touble!
 The Cheat
11-05-2003, 9:07 AM
awesome, that dewbak looks great, i can not wait for it to be released to ride.
 monsoontide
11-05-2003, 1:04 PM
So that was the trouble!
Just checking it now.
Will have another look at the bike
 [FotF]Maddog
11-06-2003, 3:41 AM
Great Pics and even better models. I cant wait to get my greasy paws all over em.
:mad: Dog
 kmd
11-06-2003, 12:24 PM
i will happily beta test!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!lol
 monsoontide
11-06-2003, 1:19 PM
Just wanted to inform you all that I've started a new thread in the showcase forum exclusively for the Dewback. Currently features a couple of EARLY in-game shots.
Updates for the other vehicles will still continue in this thread for a bit - though they may each get their own thread as they become closer to completion.

:D
 Bowas5
11-06-2003, 1:23 PM
I can test it if you want to.
 wedge2211
11-06-2003, 2:02 PM
Originally posted by kmd
i will happily beta test!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!lol
Originally posted by Bowas5
I can test it if you want to.
You know, beta testing involves more than just getting the mod before everyone else (and sending "wow this is awesome great job dude keep it up" back to the author). It involves TESTING out all aspects of the mod and reporting all comments, questions, bugs, suggestions, and feedback to the author. And then deleting the beta version of the mod.

Just thought I'd point that out since monsoontide had some problems getting people to report back on the Sith Speeder...
 monsoontide
11-06-2003, 2:21 PM
Yes - very acurate wedge!

The lack of extensive testing & feedback was one reason we missed the problem with the Sith Speeder's mine weapon not working properly in single player mode. (And partially my fault for not setting a proper testing schedule)

The whole thing with Beta testing is to work out any problems/improvements the vehicle/player model/map may have/need and reporting them back to the author.
Beta's are by their very nature UNFINISHED!

I will be selecting Beta testers primarily from those who have already proven themselves good at this work and perhaps a couple of other new people to replace anyone who didn't send feedback (Most people have good intentions but it's following through that counts) - but when we announce Beta testing AND ONLY THEN - you are welcome to put your names up :D

This is all really to ensure the final release is the best we can possibly make it and as professional as possible :D
 tFighterPilot
11-06-2003, 2:47 PM
Yeah, lol

I already have 6 beta testers to my snow speeder, and only 2 of them told me about stuff, and I already knew those.

Kinda make beta testing worthless, but meh
 kmd
11-06-2003, 2:53 PM
dont worry, i will post back the bugs and what is crap about it
 Bowas5
11-06-2003, 5:49 PM
I will do that to.
 tFighterPilot
11-06-2003, 6:42 PM
Everyone wants to be a beta tester :rolleyes:

I wonder how much would really give monsoontide feedback...
 Lil Killa
11-06-2003, 7:21 PM
Originally posted by imyourfather
Everyone wants to be a beta tester :rolleyes:

I wonder how much would really give monsoontide feedback...

I would if I was the beta tester :p I always report back to the author about their mods if i beta it.. I mostly beta maps though...

@Monsoon

Models are looking nice :p (everyone says that)

I was wondering though.. On the dewback. Will you be making it so that the player models legs don't cut into the model?
 |GG|Carl
11-06-2003, 7:37 PM
I know, you don't take any requests, but, I think Darth Vaders tie would be pretty cool...

:tie:
 kmd
11-06-2003, 7:58 PM
look me up on pcgamemods, i am "shadowassasin" i always post back on what can be inproved, and what is already da bomb, there's your proof
 monsoontide
11-06-2003, 8:21 PM
There's absolutley NOTHING that can be done about the positions the riders are in on the vehicles until Raven FINALLY release the source code and people can change the player animations - though apparently that's not a piece of cake and can easily cause a boat load of problems - SIGH.
So really I'm either stuck with the riders looking silly or I can just hide them which also looks silly.

As far as Vader's Tie Fighter goes, there's already a model in the models/ships folder (Or one of the other folders) - all someone has to do is convert it into a vehicle. Not really my territory - I'm only working on stuff that doesn't already exist (Well, mostly anyway).
 kmd
11-06-2003, 8:33 PM
Did they ever release the source code for jo? You think they may for ja when this, so-called patch surfaces?
 Casper
11-06-2003, 8:35 PM
I will be more than happy to beta test for you
 wedge2211
11-06-2003, 8:44 PM
Nym:
Originally posted by monsoontide
when we announce Beta testing AND ONLY THEN - you are welcome to put your names up :D

It's my experience that the first question anyone asks in a showcase thread is, "When will it be released?" and the second question is, "Can I beta test?" Usually the hopeful tester has no interest in helping out the modder, he or she just wants to get their paws on the map/model sooner. Let Monsoon work, he's doing a great job, he'll ask for you all to beta when he needs it!
 Casper
11-06-2003, 8:45 PM
I have beta for him before dude
 Lil Killa
11-07-2003, 1:38 AM
I think there would be less conflict if we would just wait for monsoon to ask for beta testers instead of flooding his WIP thread with "I want to beta for your mod" posts. :cool:
 GothiX
11-07-2003, 2:42 PM
LEMME BETA THIS FO.. :p

Looking sweet, monsoon, keep it up to never let down. :D
 tFighterPilot
11-07-2003, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by Lil Killa
I think there would be less conflict if we would just wait for monsoon to ask for beta testers instead of flooding his WIP thread with "I want to beta for your mod" posts. :cool: I agree.

Beta has become another word for getting the file before everybody else does.
 Usurpo
11-08-2003, 7:57 PM
Moon, your Sith Speeder looks great, but in my ENDLESS tinkering, I have found a few problems. First of all, if you have a sabre staff, hop on the speeder, hit 'L' to change it to a single sabre, and hit the left mouse button to attack, you swing your sabre, AND drop a bomb! Another thing...in Kotor Flight School, if you happen to boost of an edge just for the hell of it, you will drop slowly...at first I thought this was cool, but it is pretty unrealalistic. I jumped off it just to test my theory, and I fell like a stump, while the speeder gracefully glided through the air...now, for the lat [posible] bug...when you lay a mine and stand by it, you die. End of story. However, when the speeder is next to it, it takes out maby 1/5 of it's health AND kills you! Just a little odd...

Now, with all that said, I would like to volunteer to Beta test from you. As you can see from above, I test things out, even if I am not susposed to...therego, I think I would make a good Beta Tester. Its your call, though...[oh, and nice work so far. I really like it ;)] Thank you for your time.

Tsuto
 monsoontide
11-09-2003, 1:20 AM
Yes, the Sith Speeder has a few problems in regards to the .veh file! The reason it doesn't fall as fast as you though is because it's a repulsorlift vehicle (While you as a player don't have anti-grav built in!)
The mine is the vehicles primary weapon and is a bit iffy really.
If you (or anyone else for that matter) can make a better vehicle file by all means feel free to submit it to me so we can release an upgrade.
Duncan is also working on a Hailfire droid vehicle which is quite impressive - I am going to try and skin it :D
 Usurpo
11-09-2003, 1:56 AM
Naa, I am not good with this stuff as all. I thought I would just alert you to some bugs I found, nothing more...that, and volunteer for Beta. ;) Now, as for the hail-fire or hell-fire or what ever its being called now, I have seen some SSes of it, and it sounds great. Did he fix the bug about firing when backing up? I looked into it, and I THINK I might know how to disable that bug if he has not fixed it...well, my sister wants me to come to her room. She just finished watching Scary Movie and is FREAKED OUT. LoL...ciao, and good luck.

Tsuto
 monsoontide
11-09-2003, 4:14 AM
Well... it's in the game.
The .veh file needs a sh!tload of tweaking 'cos handling it is just awful - it's based on the default x-wing .veh file. - Anyone with experience of the spaceship vehicles got any suggestions/advice?
And I still have to do the shader for it and the radar icon.
It's NOT ready for beta testing yet though...

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~monsoontide/NewFiles/N1_ingame1.jpg)

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~monsoontide/NewFiles/N1_ingame2.jpg)
 Manquesa
11-09-2003, 5:05 AM
good lord man! That is Sweet!

Now we need a Trade Federation fighter (whatever they're called) Then, someone can make a map based on the space battle at the end of Episode 1. Now that would be a great vehicle seige map. A team of Naboo fighters trying to take down the control station and a team of Trade Federation fighters trying to defend it.

Oh to dream

Anyway, you amaze me with your skillz man.

Sorry can't help you with the flight handling, I never messed with that in .veh file. Maybe imyourfather can help, I like the way his snowspeeder handles compared to other vehicles i've tried out, including my own.

Edit: Oh yeah, did ya ever get the NPCdroid thing working or did ya just decide it ain't worth the hassle?
 Zappa_0
11-09-2003, 12:44 PM
Wow Very Awesome! Some body needs to make a Naboo Pilot now. And how is the Aiwha comming along?
 Casper
11-09-2003, 1:43 PM
Request beta:)
(EDIT) I think you need to make the ship more bigger it looks a little to small
 wedge2211
11-09-2003, 3:35 PM
Geez...
It's NOT ready for beta testing yet though...

Although I agree with Nym that it looks a tad too smal...could the pilot really fit in there? :D

Hey all, remember that JA is an FPS first, not a flight sim (X-Wing: Alliance is still good though an older game, go buy that if you like flying). However, there could be some serious potential to have a space-based vehicle siege map that also has a significant ground-based component. For example, you have to have teammates shuttle you over tot he other side, where objectives are accomplished (I think some maps like this are in the works).
 tFighterPilot
11-09-2003, 4:04 PM
Originally posted by Nym
Request beta:)
(EDIT) I think you need to make the ship more bigger it looks a little to small For an american, you sure have some grammar mistakes :p

Anyway, there soon will be a droid starfighter. They both together could make a great seige map! :biggs:
 monsoontide
11-09-2003, 4:24 PM
Well, it's scaled to the size of the r2 head. It seems about the right size when you are running around, but when you get in it, it seems to shrink?!?
Didn't go with the droid npc since it doesn't fit. Would like to get it to rotate a bit though.
 Usurpo
11-09-2003, 5:35 PM
Looks good, so far. I think the wing engines' tails are slightly to short, though...if I find a scale pic, I will post it here. Other then that, I see nothing else that I can mention...look's great, keep it up! ;) Oh, and a Naboo pilot would be nice...ah, as long as I am on this track, someone just opened a subject about the TF Fighter. It looks good...Naboo, here we come! ;)
 kmd
11-09-2003, 6:18 PM
i hate the flying, thats wy i deleted kortor flight school, becuase its a map based on ships, and ships in ja cant be flown for more than 2 seconds with out crashing, i hope in a patch that is fixed, becuase x-wings would rock
 tFighterPilot
11-09-2003, 6:46 PM
[B]Well... it's in the game.
The .veh file needs a sh!tload of tweaking 'cos handling it is just awful - it's based on the default x-wing .veh file.Too bad, Tie Fighter would've been better to base it on, it has the exact same weapons.

But I guess that the weapons aren't your problem.
 wedge2211
11-09-2003, 6:50 PM
Usurpo: The SW.com Databank is your friend...

http://www.starwars.com/databank/starship/naboon1starfighter/img/movie_bg.jpg)
http://www.starwars.com/databank/starship/naboon1starfighter/img/eu_bg.jpg)

Hey, Monsoon...how bout a ncie lovely chrome shader? :cool:
 Usurpo
11-09-2003, 8:47 PM
Aye, that it is...yea, some chrome would be cool...and you might want to base if off of the Tie Bomber of Z-95, they handle MUCH, MUCH better then the other craft...and I was right! The tails should go to the end of the cockpit! Mwhahaha! LoL...
 monsoontide
11-09-2003, 8:47 PM
I wish people would read my previous posts - I did say I was working on a chrome shader - as a matter of fact I need a little help with my N1-shader - can't seem to quite get it working the way i want it.
There is the colour map with an alpha chanel for which bits should be "glossy"
An environment map for the gloss
And a Glow map for the engine glow.
Problem is I can't seem to get the gloss to work properly. At one stage I even had the whole thing semi transparent!
If there's a better way to do "chrome" let me know!
Any help would be apprecitated :D

models/players/n1_mst/n1_mst
{
surfaceparm metalsteps
q3map_nolightmap
{
// //// blendfunc GL_DST_COLOR GL_ONE

map models/players/n1_mst/n1_mst
blendFunc GL_SRC_ALPHA GL_ZERO
rgbGen lightingDiffuse
}
{
map models/players/n1_mst/env_chrome
blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ONE
tcGen environment
}
{
map models/players/n1_mst/n1_mst_glow
blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ONE
rgbGen identity
}
}

BTW The model is based on the toy (Since it's sitting on my desk) and the engine tails are a bit more stubby (So they don't break!)
I have tweaked th .veh file to kingdom come but it all comes down to the fact that the mouse control just blows!
 Lil Killa
11-09-2003, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Manquesa
good lord man! That is Sweet!

Now we need a Trade Federation fighter (whatever they're called) Then, someone can make a map based on the space battle at the end of Episode 1. Now that would be a great vehicle seige map. A team of Naboo fighters trying to take down the control station and a team of Trade Federation fighters trying to defend it.

Oh to dream

Anyway, you amaze me with your skillz man.

Sorry can't help you with the flight handling, I never messed with that in .veh file. Maybe imyourfather can help, I like the way his snowspeeder handles compared to other vehicles i've tried out, including my own.

Edit: Oh yeah, did ya ever get the NPCdroid thing working or did ya just decide it ain't worth the hassle?

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=117265)
 LightNinja
11-12-2003, 4:59 PM
Maybe this shader looks good, is the shader of grayfox model:

models/.../.../...
{
q3map_nolightmap
{
map models/.../.../...
rgbGen lightingDiffuse
}
{
map gfx/effects/chr_white_add_mild
blendFunc GL_SRC_ALPHA GL_ONE
depthFunc equal
detail
tcGen environment
}
}
 Godzilla
11-15-2003, 2:21 PM
Whats the chance of Slave 1 getting made?
 Godzilla
11-15-2003, 2:21 PM
Whats the chance of Slave 1 getting made?
 tFighterPilot
11-15-2003, 2:26 PM
Originally posted by Godzilla
Whats the chance of Slave 1 getting made? There's a great Slave 1 prefeb somewhere, it could be made into a vehicle.
 t3rr0r
11-15-2003, 2:38 PM
Originally posted by imyourfather
There's a great Slave 1 prefeb somewhere, it could be made into a vehicle.
knowing monsoontide, he could probably whip one up just as fast as converting an old one.
 monsoontide
11-15-2003, 5:02 PM
The pre-fabs are RADIANT prefabs for mapping!!!
You'd have to build a new one from scratch.
Have you checked out the AOTC total conversion - they're probably working on one.
 monsoontide
Have you checked out the AOTC total conversion - they're probably working on one.
 monsoontide
Page: 5 of 15