Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

The Matrix Unplugged

Page: 5 of 5
 Cazor
11-30-2003, 4:04 AM
Got bored and made an APU desktop:

http://ut2k3net.com/cazor/apu.jpg)
 legameboy
12-01-2003, 1:35 AM
Nice!

Hey... sorry to ask questions like this before you even finish the multiplayer version, but...

...is it possible you might be able to stick a "2-4 player co-op against NPCs" mode into the multiplayer version, after you are finished with the 1.0 version? :)
 Cazor
12-01-2003, 1:37 AM
Might not have an entire co-op branch, but you sure could spawn NPCs of sentinels in the zion FFA map and have co-op with other people being the APUs.
 Cazor
12-03-2003, 8:02 PM
http://www.modelforge.com/matrix/cockpit01.jpg)

WIP of the nebuchadnezzar cockpit, which will the the only inside of the ship(and the 1st person veiw for the pilot). You will however get to chose what turret you can man, if you dont chose to pilot. you will just be confined to 3rd person if you man a turret.
 kmd
12-03-2003, 8:16 PM
Originally posted by Cazor
http://www.modelforge.com/matrix/cockpit01.jpg)

WIP of the nebuchadnezzar cockpit, which will the the only inside of the ship(and the 1st person veiw for the pilot). You will however get to chose what turret you can man, if you dont chose to pilot. you will just be confined to 3rd person if you man a turret. all i see is black, way to dark for my moniter
 Alegis
12-03-2003, 8:22 PM
phew finally read all posts, i'll join your board tomorrow since it's kinda late for me now

I would have to stand outside in the rain and storm for 10 hours until my freakin enthousiasm would calm down. I liked the first movie, hated the sequels but the concept of the Matrix is cool and this mod is truly truly awesome. The neo skin was if someone took a picture of keanu and put it in model clothes. Awesome job. And the weapons, jeezus I really thought they were pictures and was like "wth that's just a picture with some "made by" scrabble on it, what's that supposed to mean" until i'd get it and add +120 to the enthousiasm meter.

This mod is definately going to rock, make sure you add LOTS of moves in, that will be the major factor in the fun meter. Good job, awesome job

For the car; I kinda like it that way with the textures :) leave it in as an easter bug..in some sort of garage with a sign "unfinished business" or "work in progress"..I don't know...But I want it :P MS PAINT 1337-ness

I hope for your sake you update your board often with screenies or feel my wraith! :)

Keep on daz good work!
 Cazor
12-03-2003, 9:24 PM
kmd, its black with the same gray color as the forums for the model part of it. You might wanna set your monitor to normal settings, because... thats... odd.

(heh, and you dont have to quote an image if you are commenting on it right after it was posted :P)
 Cazor
12-11-2003, 8:43 PM
 Hellfire Jedi
12-11-2003, 10:42 PM
I'm guessing the poly count is very high?
 Cazor
12-14-2003, 6:35 PM
It's not that high at all if you take into consideration the size of the model compared to the player model and the detail it needs to even somewhat resemble the actual model. There will also be a few LODs. There's not going to be any wires or tubes... because that would just be a pain to animate/rig and a waste of polys.
 Hellfire Jedi
12-14-2003, 7:50 PM
What the PC is...?
 Cazor
12-14-2003, 10:07 PM
It's going to be fine. The LODs should come into play pretty close. Shouldnt be too big of a problem.

Updates:

Agent Smith from the orignal movie (model by John Turner):
http://ut2k3net.com/cazor/thread/smith.jpg)

Smith from Reloaded/Revolutions (same model, different glasses):
http://ut2k3net.com/cazor/pie.jpg)

Trinity from Reloaded (model by EBaker, skin by graves):
http://ut2k3net.com/cazor/thread/trinity.jpg)

Glock18 ingame:
http://ut2k3net.com/cazor/thread/glock.jpg)
 Godzilla
12-14-2003, 11:41 PM
Heh, very good. Smith look excellent. But trinity's lips look too dark. I mean, she didn't use much lipstick in the movie. Yeah, I'm a perfectionist. The gun looks great. It ALL looks great. VERY, very good job.
 Hellfire Jedi
12-15-2003, 12:31 AM
How many times do I have to ask for the polycount of the robot thingy?

Why won't you say? Its that high?
 Cazor
12-15-2003, 12:48 AM
Oh... when you said 'PC' i thought you were saying something about the PC of the people playing the mod. It's about 5-6k polys i belive. It's prolly going to be a bit lower if there is a problem with it, but if might not become an issue.

Also, if i remember correctly, wasnt there some setting that controlled the detail level of your player model in JO/JA? We might be able to utilize this if lower end PC's are having problems.
 CaladienJedi
12-15-2003, 1:05 AM
That doesnt look like trinity....

http://neomatrix88.virtualave.net/T3.jpg)

The face needs a little work.
 Eldritch
12-15-2003, 1:43 AM
While you can't have a model match *every* picture that's out there, I would generally agree with Caladien somewhat.

I don't think that it doesn't look like Trinity - it just doesn't have as great a likeness as some of your other models, especially when she takes her glasses off (ugh... can you say "dude"). The skin looks fantastic; however, I think the mesh needs a little work.

And with a 5-6K poly model, I hope you don't plan on having too many of them on the screen at once. That's equivalent to about 2 player models.
 kmd
12-15-2003, 1:59 AM
with all this progress, what do you have left to do? maybe an early march release? :edit: wait, yall doing levels and maps too, thast right, never mind
 Cazor
12-15-2003, 2:12 AM
Originally posted by Eldritch
And with a 5-6K poly model, I hope you don't plan on having too many of them on the screen at once. That's equivalent to about 2 player models.

Prolly gonna have one LOD be as low as 4k or maybe even close to 3k so it should be fine... if they are in the disctance. We might be able to get it so it triggers the LODs if there are many on the screen as apposed to the distance of the model, or both.

And caladien, thats a picture from the orignal movie. This model is of her in reloaded/revolutions. She changed a lot since then. Sure some of the details arent perfect, but we can tweak it.
 GothiX
12-15-2003, 6:33 AM
Showcase. Backstreets. Now. :D
 Cazor
12-15-2003, 6:05 PM
BX can do it if he wants to. he knows about this thread.
 CaladienJedi
12-15-2003, 6:11 PM
5-6k??!?!? Wow man. Your going to have to drop that atleast 2k. Thats way too much polys for anything in jka.

Like for instance, the custom models(human) Guess the poly count on that? Not even 3k.

Its a good model, great detail. But lots of people(lucky im not one) wont be able to use that if your going for high poly counts.
 Cazor
12-15-2003, 8:43 PM
Ive talked to people from raven and i have heard nothing about 2k. I told him 6k and he said it might be fine. zanardi has been working on lowering the polycount since he started modeling it, since it has to be a very high poly model to resemble what it was in the movie. Getting it to 2000 would be impossible without severly disfiguring it. We aim for about 5000, and maybe a 3-4k lowest LOD model. Just be glad we arent making the tubes and wires and such.
 Miko Reglia
12-15-2003, 9:27 PM
eh, the trinity is good and everything, except im gonna have to agree with the face being somewhat off, like the lips...

i think carrie ann moss is canadian, but the model looks more asian too me? thats what i think at least, and i dont mean to flame or anythin...
 Eldritch
12-16-2003, 6:08 AM
Originally posted by Cazor
Just be glad we arent making the tubes and wires and such.
I think you might want to rethink how you say things to people, Cazor. That sounded particularly rude and was totally uncalled for - you'll end up pissing people off with those types of comments. Caladien merely mentioned what several people here, including myself, have already commented on and he has a valid point - that polycount is atrocious.

The standard model in JA runs between 2-3 thousand polys - the fact that Raven hasn't mentioned it doesn't mean anything. You have a model that, according to your information, will be twice that at the lowest amount of detail (LOD 4). I see a number of details in that model that could be achieved with a good skin instead. While that would not give you the accuracy that you may be looking for, it certainly would enable you to have more of those things on screen at a time without dragging the framerate down to an unplayable state.

It is certainly admirable that you aim to create the most realistic model possible, but if a model is between 4-6K polys, that's like adding an additional 2-3 players for every mech you add in a game. If you're unwilling to build a low poly version, perhaps you should reevaluate how important those mechs are to have (and their place in a primarily MP mod - personally, I think you could do without them). I know that you want to do this type of thing professionally, and as someone who has a couple friends in the business (and is at school to learn how to get into it himself) you have to learn how to compromise. You can't build a game/mod with the newest computers/technology in mind, since you'll alienate more than half your potential customers (or community, in this case). It's all about compromise.

I really didn't mean to rant this long, I only wanted to bring a couple things to your attention. I think what you guys are doing is a great thing - I just don't want to see it turn into a gigantic waste of time because not everyone can enjoy it.
 Cazor
12-16-2003, 11:55 AM
Hrm, well i didnt mean it to be rude, i meant it to be half-way funny, because that would be 2k polys right there, and kina out of the question. Also it would be a pain for the animators to make all those tubes move correctly :\

But anyways, remeber how i told you the modeler made it in another program then exported it to 3DSM? well apparently that export adds quite a lot of not wanted polygons, and he can get the max polycount down to about 4000(which was what he origonally designed befor ehe exported), and prolly the lowest detail around 2k. This might take a while though, so there might not be many updates. Prolly gonna wait until we get it rigged and inagme, also, so it might take even longer.
 graves
12-17-2003, 5:02 PM
I've made some changes on Trinity. Take a look
http://blargh.mine.nu/test/16631/3.jpg)
 Lil Killa
12-17-2003, 11:15 PM
Looks nice but a suggestion:

In the pic you provided it "appears" that the lower portion of he face is darker than the upper portion... I suggest making the color more uniform as it looks a tad funny at the moment... Over all though the the model is looking nice ;)
 king yoda
12-18-2003, 11:36 AM
her head looks amazing, good work.
 Thrawn42689
12-21-2003, 1:33 AM
Okay, I can't go on reading this without saying anything. The APU is currently upwards of 12k polys. We currently have no way of getting the APU ingame and animated, nor do we have anybody working on a level in which it could be used. Our current focus is, and always will be, the Matrix. The real world will be a side project if we ever get around to it. However, it would require us to basically code a whole new mod. It's just not worth it. So, look for Matrix stuff. ;)
 Eldritch
12-21-2003, 4:58 AM
Thanks for confirming the obvious, Thrawn. :)
 Cazor
12-21-2003, 6:01 AM
Actully, Eldritch, soon after his post was made i talked to him about it and he changed his mind. I think someone might have gotten the wrong information, because the final model isnt going to be 12k. Zan is going to make one that is 3k-4k. He's not just gonna give up, i know that for sure. We do have ways of getting it ingame, i have someone who can rig it and hopefully someone else who can animate it if he isnt too busy. And cool matty is working on the zion level. The 'extra coding' was referring to the flying stuff like the neb, but i think he forgot that we need to do a helicopter in the matrix levels, too, which would mean we would have to fix JA's bad vehicle system (which was his concern with the neb.) I'm pretty sure thrawn just forgot about that, though. I tried to ask him to delete his post before I had to make some long winded reason here, but he's AFK.
 Thrawn42689
12-21-2003, 1:51 PM
Yeah, sorry. I would have deleted it, but I was asleep.
 Cazor
12-22-2003, 7:55 PM
I threw thrawn's skybox into the freeway level:

http://ut2k3net.com/cazor/freeway.jpg)

And manquesa helped me get the test car ingame:

http://ut2k3net.com/cazor/freeway2.jpg)
 CaladienJedi
12-22-2003, 9:20 PM
I hope that skin for the car is temporary. It hurts my eyes :o
 Cazor
12-22-2003, 9:29 PM
...It's the test car. :¬:
 Neo_Knight
12-22-2003, 9:51 PM
this map looks awesome :eek:

And what about the motorbike ?
 Lil Killa
12-22-2003, 9:54 PM
Originally posted by CaladienJedi
I hope that skin for the car is temporary. It hurts my eyes :o

I like it ;)

*bonus material*
 Cazor
12-22-2003, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Neo_Knight
And what about the motorbike ?

Patience is a virtue.
 Cazor
12-23-2003, 5:17 AM
Got bored and made some desktops (sorry 56kers)

http://ut2k3net.com/cazor/neo.jpg)

http://ut2k3net.com/cazor/smith.jpg)
 Hellfire Jedi
12-23-2003, 10:53 AM
neo has huge limps. pls blow his hed off.
 Cazor
12-23-2003, 5:35 PM
...Oh...Kay... :confused:
 CaladienJedi
12-23-2003, 9:35 PM
WHOA! Hitman is right, whats with his lips?

Everything but the lips are really good.
 Cazor
12-23-2003, 10:38 PM
Uhmmm... i musn't be seeing what you guys are. I guess maybe the lighting in that area is doing something odd.
 Alegis
12-25-2003, 11:04 PM
I thought the neo model rocked, thereit really looks poor :eek: (compared to previous screenies) but the smith is ace
 Alegis
I thought the neo model rocked, thereit really looks poor :eek: (compared to previous screenies) but the smith is ace
 Alegis
 Mex
12-26-2003, 11:45 AM
The lips! The lips! .. Sorry but the lips are very very poor.
 |GG|Carl
12-26-2003, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Alegis Gensan
Ditto.
 GothiX
12-26-2003, 2:04 PM
That's due to the liughting, and I think a slightly misplaced tag. Should be fixed easily..

Besides, if you're looking at Neo that close ingame, you know you aren't going to last long anyways. :P
Page: 5 of 5