Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

New JA Editing Tools Released!

Page: 1 of 1
 Sabre9
09-15-2003, 11:52 PM
and there are 0 posts in the 3 JA editing forums...
 Neverhoodian
09-15-2003, 11:59 PM
Tools?:confused: I wasn't aware there were tools released for the game. You mean like map creators and such?
 Uber_Saber
09-15-2003, 11:59 PM
Where are these tools? Can you provide a link?
 Sabre9
09-16-2003, 12:11 AM
I got it from the News page here...

Here's the direct link

http://comic.jediknight.net/ja_model_tools.zip)

Andy867 posted it, so it's legit.
 Kurgan
09-16-2003, 12:57 AM
I just setup the forums a few hours ago. The tools were just released tonight.

People need to check the JediKnight.net news more often. ; )
 Prime
09-16-2003, 12:58 AM
Skinning tools have been released at Lucasfiles.com (http://www.lucasfiles.com/index.php?action=file&id=108) It has a new ModView, skin templates, and so on. It also has a new section added to the documentation related to JA. Looks like things are much the same way as they were in JO...
 Uber_Saber
09-16-2003, 1:26 AM
Originally posted by Kurgan

People need to check the JediKnight.net news more often. ; )

Huh? Whuzzat? :D
 ImmolatedYoda
09-16-2003, 2:03 AM
the ModView still gives me "exceeds_max_qpath" error everytime i try to open one of the demos GLMs. :( i dont know why, nor what that means.
 Andy867
09-16-2003, 2:37 AM
Lucasfiles now has the file running full-time whereas mine was just temporary until it got uploaded onto LucasFiles. So that comic link is no longer valid...
 SparedLife
09-16-2003, 6:42 AM
I downloaded the tools but it is the same tool used for Outcast. This is fine with standard models but doesn't seem to work well on the Jedi-models. I thought the tools would have been updated to account for the optional pieces.
 emorog
09-16-2003, 6:46 AM
It is updated! look on the left side tree of modview, and click on SKINS - there you can choose a head, torso, and leg skin to view different model parts.

Originally posted by SparedLife
I downloaded the tools but it is the same tool used for Outcast. This is fine with standard models but doesn't seem to work well on the Jedi-models. I thought the tools would have been updated to account for the optional pieces.
 SparedLife
09-16-2003, 6:58 AM
Well shut my mouth, your absolutely correct. I noticed the version numbers were the same on the tool tips and when I loaded the Jedi_tf model it looked the same as with the tool I already had. Thanks for the tip now I can get to making some skins for the Jedi models.
 Andy867
Got a tech question for ya, Why is it when I go to load up like the new reborn GLM, or even a model from Outcast into the modview that I get a "Filesystem call made without initialization" error... Others have been getting this error as well, just wondering what is causing it...
 Shotokan
Darn, it's only models and skinning (I'm not good at either, I'm a mapper). Got my hopes up there.... Thought it was mapping tools.
 SparedLife
09-16-2003, 7:03 AM
Originally posted by Andy867
Got a tech question for ya, Why is it when I go to load up like the new reborn GLM, or even a model from Outcast into the modview that I get a "Filesystem call made without initialization" error... Others have been getting this error as well, just wondering what is causing it...

I get that error when I try to load a model using an old model viewer or trying to load a newer model on an older viewer. Specifly trying to find a way to load the NightFire (HL) MDL files.
 Andy867
09-16-2003, 7:07 AM
But this is being caused by the Modview.exe just released by Raven Software. :confused:
 SparedLife
09-16-2003, 7:14 AM
I tried that model and it loaded without your error but it only loads the blue skin with no face. The other skins including the default did not work.
 Andy867
09-16-2003, 7:16 AM
Do you have any 3d editing programs like 3d Studio max or Milkshape that might have plugins that are aiding in the loading of Modview?
 SparedLife
09-16-2003, 7:25 AM
Well I see my problem, I had already used the Outcast tools to make a reborn skin and I removed everything from the folder that I didn't use. Which included the default skin textures.

http://www.sparedlife.com/StarWarsImages/reborn_new_000.JPG)
 StormHammer
09-16-2003, 10:15 AM
But this is being caused by the Modview.exe just released by Raven Software. :confused:

The first time I installed Modview.exe for Jedi Outcast, I placed it in it's own directory outside of the game directory, and I kept getting an error when I tried to run it.

The second time I installed it under the path for Jedi Outcast, with all sub-folders intact, and it's worked without a hitch.

I'm going to d/l the JA version soon - either when I get my 'free' time back, or when my broadband connection arrives. :)
 Schattenelb
09-16-2003, 10:28 AM
There is some new option available as well. Now you can center the model you are viewing + there is an import function for quake4 models:D
 A_Bug
09-16-2003, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by ImmolatedYoda
the ModView still gives me "exceeds_max_qpath" error everytime i try to open one of the demos GLMs. :( i dont know why, nor what that means.

same here...i've read about it somewhere,but cant find it back....
its something about the path to the model beeing to long or something....
 SparedLife
09-16-2003, 2:35 PM

Originally posted by ImmolatedYoda
the ModView still gives me "exceeds_max_qpath" error everytime i try to open one of the demos GLMs. i dont know why, nor what that means.

I slept on it and after a fresh nights sleep I got your answer. The tools cannot penetrate the multiple layers of folders. For instance you probably have the game in c:\program files\lucasart\star wars jedi knight jedi academy demo\game data\demo\models\players\reborn new or something like that. What I did was create a folder in the root directory named "Base" and unzipped the models into there. So I have c:\Base\models\players\Reborn_new and that error doesn't show for me
 StormHammer
09-16-2003, 2:44 PM
Originally posted by SparedLife
I slept on it and after a fresh nights sleep I got your answer. The tools cannot penetrate the multiple layers of folders. For instance you probably have the game in c:\program files\lucasart\star wars jedi knight jedi academy demo\game data\demo\models\players\reborn new or something like that. What I did was create a folder in the root directory named "Base" and unzipped the models into there. So I have c:\Base\models\players\Reborn_new and that error doesn't show for me

Yeah, I always change the default installation path for all my games. So JK2 is basically in c:/games/jedi outcast - so the path is a lot shorter.
 Andy867
09-16-2003, 3:16 PM
I think my computer is trying to tell me something

ANDY867 SHOULD NEVER GET INTO MODELING

http://comic.jediknight.net/comic/pictures/modview_error.jpg)
 Druid Bremen
09-18-2003, 8:53 AM
Originally posted by Shotokan
Darn, it's only models and skinning (I'm not good at either, I'm a mapper). Got my hopes up there.... Thought it was mapping tools.

LOL! Me too. I thought that it was mapping tools and quickly rushed to Lucasfiles to search. All I found was... skinning tools...:(
 CortoCG
09-18-2003, 1:32 PM
modelling tools, Heh! l33t modelers, Heh! crazy GLAs, Heh! a l33t modeler craves not these things.

Btw, the annoying 4588 error code, that carcass returned all the time when trying to compile a model exported directly from Softimage, came from a bad named stupidtriangle tag, it didn't end with "_off". Thank god Corto was there to help me sort that problem out.

Now, why when making the same model with 3dsmax I don't get that very same problem? How did Ste Cork programmed the XSI exporter? doesn't mather anyway.
 Psynex
09-21-2003, 12:36 PM
CortoCG: I wish the Max exporter did that....nothing like exporting a model, then trying to compile it and getting all sorts of errors because of incorrect naming. Well, you either get it on export, or during compile I suppose. Still, I'd rather get it on export so I know everything is in place when I get to the compile stage.
 razorace
10-01-2003, 8:54 AM
I think my computer is trying to tell me something

ANDY867 SHOULD NEVER GET INTO MODELING

http://comic.jediknight.net/comic/pictures/modview_error.jpg)

You need to extract the animation file for the humanoids to your /gamedata/base folde (preserve the folders when you do that).

BTW, the "Filesystem call made without initialization" error seems to be fixed if you put modview and everything (with folders preserved) in your JKA game folder. I think it's looking for some files in the /gamedata/base directory without asking. Probably the animation file.

Holy crap. There's a ton of new animations. Heck, Raven even put in some good old fashion tactical handsignals. Swwweeeetttt.

"My God! It's full of animations!"
 Chairwalker
10-08-2003, 10:28 PM
These XSI files keep giving me a "version 3 revision level not supported" error when i try to import.

Would that mean i need the latest xsi import plugin ? (using max 4.2)
If so where can i get it ?

(cant wait to create some Tauntaun replacements)
 CortoCG
10-08-2003, 11:15 PM
Check other threads that treat the subject or head this way CortoCg.com (http://www.cortocg.com)
Page: 1 of 1