Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Why does Elite Force 2 look better?

Page: 1 of 1
 CyberWal
09-03-2003, 11:01 AM
What I have seen so far from the screenshots, raven did a much better job with the graphics of Elite Force 2 than with JK3. Maybe it's because they used the same (I know its all the Q3 engine, but I mean not altered) engine for the game, whereas they altered it very much for STEF2 because STVEF1 was pretty old...
 Khaza
09-03-2003, 11:22 AM
Raven didn't make Elite Force 2.. Ritual made it.. you can see it here (http://www.st-ef2.com/)

No, Im not going comment on the looks of these titles :p
 CyberWal
09-03-2003, 11:41 AM
Now that you say this... Ritual really made Elite Force 2...
Maybe thats why it looks better. The faces in EF2 look so real, and the bodies! (especially the FEMALE bodies ;) )
The female bodies in JA aren't as godd as them really
 txa1265
09-03-2003, 11:42 AM
Actually, having played Elite Force 2, and after seeing screenshots and videos from Jedi Academy, I'm confident that Raven has equalled Ritual's excellent graphics. That was my 'bar' ... if they met the graphics from Elite Force 2, while doing everything else they were planning, it would be quite an achievement.

I think they've done it ... but we won't know for two weeks.

Mike
 Prime
09-03-2003, 2:14 PM
Originally posted by txa1265
I think they've done it ... but we won't know for two weeks. But I want it now! :)
 txa1265
09-03-2003, 2:20 PM
Originally posted by Prime
But I want it now! :) [Once again revealing my age] Don't care HOW, I want it NOW ...

Mike
 yolkboy
09-03-2003, 4:38 PM
Me Too! Me Too! Me Too! :D
 Master William
09-03-2003, 5:05 PM
Ok guys, stop being OT :P

But I really don't care how female bodies look in games...

They always make females look so damn half naked and still the guys are completely dressed on... They should ask girls what they like and make the characters look like that :D
 Tinny
09-03-2003, 5:09 PM
that'd be pretty nasty
 Master William
09-03-2003, 5:25 PM
Why? I as a guy think girls should enjoy seeing males in game aswell I think its unfair
 StormHammer
09-03-2003, 5:43 PM
Elite Force II did look nice...they did some nice work considering it's still the Q3 engine underneath.

From the most recent screenshots that were released, I think JA looks every bit as good. The lighting is particularly nice in some of those screenshots, and the details are crisper. With all the changes they've made since JO was released (increasing the complexity of model details etc.), I think JA is going to look great in action.

As for the comment about girl skins...I'm pretty sick and tired of seeing half-dressed females in a lot of games. It's not really necessary, and just panders to raging hormones, IMHO. I'd prefer to see some really stylish clothing, for both male and female characters.
 Rassick
09-03-2003, 6:12 PM
There are actually different iterations of the Q3 engine. EF2 used the same as the heavily modified one that was used in MOHAA. JA uses the RtCW version of the Q3 engine. Technically JA's is the most advanced, as it has rudimentary ragdoll physics, dynamic lightsaber lighting, character customization and "bolt-on" technology, and a more sophisticated version of the ARIOCHE terrain system used in SOF2, which I must say was the crappiest version of the Q3 engine. It must have just been bad coding. The game doesn't look that great nowadays, my PC is far more advanced than anything that was out when SOF2 was new, and SOF2 still lags, chugs, freezes and sometimes even crashes on my PC, even when though no other game does. :rolleyes:
 Assault3000
09-03-2003, 7:01 PM
I was aware of only two engines myself, the original Quake III one and the enhanced one we see in today's Q3 engine games. I didn't see a real difference between Elite Force II and even Jedi Outcast...
 Blademaster_109
09-03-2003, 7:08 PM
Originally posted by Tinny
that'd be pretty nasty

Yeah, master william are you a fruit or something. I mean maybe the girls could catch Kyle swimming but like dancing at a bat. NO...just...no.

Yosafe
 Darth]-[azard
09-03-2003, 7:45 PM
Nice to have Eye candy sometiems, but it's the destruction and killing that makes my day.
 boinga1
09-03-2003, 7:56 PM
Originally posted by Master William
They always make females look so damn half naked and still the guys are completely dressed on... They should ask girls what they like and make the characters look like that :D

Well, the majority of gamers are male, so it makes sense to appeal to male gamers...

Besides, if the majority of teenage guys and girls got what they wanted in the game, it'd be full of pron, and that would be very nasty indeed.
 Master William
09-03-2003, 7:58 PM
Sigh, I give up about what I discussed in the first place. Too many simpletons :p
 Rassick
09-03-2003, 8:07 PM
Originally posted by boinga1
Well, the majority of gamers are male, so it makes sense to appeal to male gamers...

That's not really good thinking. The majority of car thieves, rapists, murderers, and hoodlums in general simply tend to be black or hispanic...and yet I can't think of a single black or hispanic person that isn't enraged by racial profiling.
 Gabrobot
09-03-2003, 8:47 PM
Originally posted by Rassick
...The majority of car thieves, rapists, murderers, and hoodlums in general simply tend to be black or hispanic...

May I ask what you were smoking when you wrote that? :confused:
 Tinny
09-03-2003, 9:11 PM
just look around any urban areas man, don't let the political correctness / humanist crap bs affect you
 boinga1
09-03-2003, 9:11 PM
That's not really good thinking. The majority of car thieves, rapists, murderers, and hoodlums in general simply tend to be black or hispanic...and yet I can't think of a single black or hispanic person that isn't enraged by racial profiling.

Yes, but vidoe game conpanies aren't concerned with morals...they want to appeal to the maximun number of gamers, which are, simply, guys. Why? So they get more money, of course!

Sigh, I give up about what I discussed in the first place. Too many simpletons

I don't think so. Too many realists..companies want cash=appeal to male gamers. Very simple.
 yolkboy
09-04-2003, 2:08 AM
Originally posted by StormHammer
As for the comment about girl skins...I'm pretty sick and tired of seeing half-dressed females in a lot of games. It's not really necessary, and just panders to raging hormones, IMHO. I'd prefer to see some really stylish clothing, for both male and female characters.
I agree! Even though the female outfits do attract the guys ;) it wouldn't hurt to put some more variety in for both Male and Female characters. If I'm going to be tearing it up with my saber, I want to be fighting in Style! :D
 Kurgan
09-04-2003, 3:22 AM
Sex appeal or not, I still would rather see a female in a combat game wearing an outfit that actually makes SENSE (rather than a super tight catsuit that would split in half the instant she did any kind of acrobatic move or a Britney Spears-esque outfit like that gal in Unreal 2).

Some of those Twi-Lek outfits seem more appropriate to the "Baywatch Mod" for JA. ; ) *

I think this was a brainbug on the part of Lucas (sort of like his having the Tatooine Desert robes that Obi-Wan wore in ANH to be the Jedi uniform), because the female Twi-Lek's we saw in the movies (except the one Jedi in AOTC) were all exotic dancers.. and so wearing those outfits would make sense for them. Notice that Bib Fortuna, who was Jabba's majordomo didn't wear anything so skimpy (thank goodness).

*Hmm... Galak Fyar looks kind of like David Hasselhoff, perhaps this IS a good mod idea... you could save people from sharks and run along the beach and try to get a tan...
 Kurgan
09-04-2003, 3:29 AM
...The majority of car thieves, rapists, murderers, and hoodlums in general simply tend to be black or hispanic...

Perhaps that belongs in the Senate Chambers, but suffice to say, at least in the US, there are more non-blacks and non-hispanics that commit crimes overall. What some statistical studies show is that a disproportionate number of convicts on death row are black, which may or may not show racism in sentencing (this is an ongoing debate about the death penalty and how its applied).

When you watch shows like "Cops" and just about every guy on there is non-White, what they don't say is that usually they are filming in areas where the majority of the population is non-white, so of course you'll see more criminals that are non-white (though there is always the odd white guy on there.. usually shirtless, mullet wearing, stereotypical "trailer trash"). Anyway, sorry to digress....
 Silent_Thunder
09-04-2003, 3:44 AM
"Notice that Bib Fortuna, who was Jabba's majordomo didn't wear anything so skimpy (thank goodness). "

!!! That is the most hilarious thing I've heard all day...

Anyway; I agree that female (and male) characters should wear apropriate clothing for what they're doing... it's fine for a twi'lek dancers in a seedy hideout like Jabaa's palace. But it makes little sense for actual combat (or anything else for that matter). Look at all the female jedis in the prequals.

However, I'm pretty sure that there will be some more substantial outfits available for female gamers, and that the actual character models wearing them won't be anymore offensive than the male character models alone.
 yolkboy
09-04-2003, 4:53 AM
Originally posted by Kurgan
Sex appeal or not, I still would rather see a female in a combat game wearing an outfit that actually makes SENSE (rather than a super tight catsuit that would split in half the instant she did any kind of acrobatic move or a Britney Spears-esque outfit like that gal in Unreal 2). Some of those Twi-Lek outfits seem more appropriate to the "Baywatch Mod" for JA. ; ) *

Agreed! Any such movement in those close and they would rip! Come on... Jedi should have realistic clothes that one would wear into combat. I haven't seen the "Britney Spears-esque" outfit the gal wears in Unreal 2. Do you have a pic?
 Redwing
09-04-2003, 7:54 AM
Originally posted by Blademaster_109
Yeah, master william are you a fruit or something. I mean maybe the girls could catch Kyle swimming but like dancing at a bat. NO...just...no.

Yosafe

Oh, YEAH, pander to the guys and screw the girls, eh? Master William MUST be a "fruit" if he isn't sexist, of course, as as all True Males™ are. :rolleyes:

:p

On topic, I actually don't mind some of the revealing outfits I've seen for JA. So long as it reads "Ass-Kicking" rather than "Sex-Toy", I'm alright with it. But surely they can come up with something just as striking for the guys...;)
 Kurgan
09-04-2003, 12:14 PM
On topic, I actually don't mind some of the revealing outfits I've seen for JA. So long as it reads "Ass-Kicking" rather than "Sex-Toy", I'm alright with it. But surely they can come up with something just as striking for the guys...

Kyle & Luke in speedos?

There was a "Nude Tavion" skin.. ; p
 Pedro The Hutt
09-04-2003, 1:24 PM
I'd assume what those J-rockers wear, plenty of females I know concider them sexay. ^.^
 toms
09-04-2003, 2:30 PM
i may have this a bit wrong, but i think i saw some stats that said:

gamers..

male (6-18) = 21%
female (all ages) = 28%
male (18+) = 45%

...ish. But anyway, the average age of gamers is rising (and will hopefully lead to some more mature games (mature as in adult, not full of naked chicks). And the number of female gamers has overtaken the number of male gamers under 18.

Im not sure of the details of what systems this if for... all consoles, but im mot sure if it includes PCs...
 Prime
09-04-2003, 3:45 PM
Originally posted by boinga1
Besides, if the majority of teenage guys and girls got what they wanted in the game, it'd be full of pron Now those would be some admin mod emotes... :D
 Gabrobot
09-04-2003, 4:00 PM
This thread really needs to get back on topic, so...

Originally posted by Rassick
There are actually different iterations of the Q3 engine. EF2 used the same as the heavily modified one that was used in MOHAA. JA uses the RtCW version of the Q3 engine. Technically JA's is the most advanced, as it has rudimentary ragdoll physics, dynamic lightsaber lighting, character customization and "bolt-on" technology, and a more sophisticated version of the ARIOCHE terrain system used in SOF2, which I must say was the crappiest version of the Q3 engine. It must have just been bad coding. The game doesn't look that great nowadays, my PC is far more advanced than anything that was out when SOF2 was new, and SOF2 still lags, chugs, freezes and sometimes even crashes on my PC, even when though no other game does. :rolleyes:

Actually, I thought that the JA engine version is a modified version of the engine version used in JO which was a modified version of the one in SOF2.
 Rassick
09-04-2003, 8:38 PM
Originally posted by yolkboy
I haven't seen the "Britney Spears-esque" outfit the gal wears in Unreal 2. Do you have a pic?

Here. http://www.planetunreal.com/images.asp?/unreal2/screenshots/new2.jpg) :)
 StormHammer
09-05-2003, 11:21 AM
You know...having played Elite Force 2, it was actually refreshing seeing the women in proper uniforms, and everything. The alien 'love interest' in the scimpy outfit seemed more like a bimbo by comparison, and didn't really seem to 'fit'. That comes back to the point Kurgan made about the outfit 'making sense' according to the environment and context.

Thankfully, I don't think it's going to be much of an issue in JA, because of the range of clothing available during customisation - and there is always the opportunity for modders to 'redress' :p the issue.

*groans at bad pun*
 txa1265
09-05-2003, 12:41 PM
You know...having played Elite Force 2, it was actually refreshing seeing the women in proper uniforms, and everything. The alien 'love interest' in the scimpy outfit seemed more like a bimbo by comparison, and didn't really seem to 'fit'. That comes back to the point Kurgan made about the outfit 'making sense' according to the environment and context.

I agree.

In EFII, Telsia was a beautiful women, but dressed in a uniform. I can't remember the other women, but just think of her as 'the blond bimbo'. I also thought Aida from Unreal II was ... um ...unrealistic.

In JKII, I didn't mind Tavion so much, as she was protrayed as evil and not 'eye candy'. Perhaps a bit of back-story would have helped. Jan is always nice to look at ;)

I have looked at the Twileks and don't find them inappropriate. There was a story, in Tales from the New Republic if memory serves, that talked a bit about the Twileks and their garb. I think their outfits are contextually OK.

My personal metric is how much sh*t my wife would give me if she walked in while I was playing ... compounded by my own strange feelings of embarrassment. In EF2, the blond bimbo is embarrassing. So was Aida in Unreal. My wife saw Tavion, and thought she looked evil ... if scantily clad.

Mike
 StormHammer
09-05-2003, 1:43 PM
Originally posted by txa1265
I have looked at the Twileks and don't find them inappropriate. There was a story, in Tales from the New Republic if memory serves, that talked a bit about the Twileks and their garb. I think their outfits are contextually OK.

Well, there is a new screenshot over at GameSpot.com (part of their latest Developer Diary (http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/action/jediacademy/preview_6074513.html) which I just posted up on jediknight.net) which has a nice screenie of a Twi'lek...

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2003/pc/starwarsjediacadmy/0903/jedi_screen001.jpg)

That attire looks okay to me...in fact, it does look rather stylish. :)

My personal metric is how much sh*t my wife would give me if she walked in while I was playing ... compounded by my own strange feelings of embarrassment. In EF2, the blond bimbo is embarrassing. So was Aida in Unreal. My wife saw Tavion, and thought she looked evil ... if scantily clad.

Mike

Ah yes...I often think they're simply jealous that they can't get away with wearing those kinds of clothes in public. :P :D

Best not play Heavy Metal FAKK2, anyway...... ;)
 txa1265
09-05-2003, 2:00 PM
Well, there is a new screenshot over at GameSpot.com (part of their latest Developer Diary (http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/action/jediacademy/preview_6074513.html) which I just posted up on jediknight.net) which has a nice screenie of a Twi'lek...

That attire looks okay to me...in fact, it does look rather stylish. :)
I know - I put it into the 'magazine & sightings' thread last night ... I love these Dev diaries ... tweaks the fanboy in me ;)

I noticed that screen as well - I don't think she just looks stylish, she looks ready to kick some a$$!!! :cool:

[edit] looking at the picture, she seems to say - I dare you to call me a bimbo ...

... NWN is teaching me that besides being a light Jedi I'm a dedicated Paladin as well ... beautiful scantily-clad blondes just don't mix - at least not computer generated ones ... I'll stick to my wife for exploring those areas ;)

Mike
 Pedro The Hutt
09-05-2003, 7:33 PM
That and it might be harder to take a scanticly clad Jedi serious. Male or female.
Page: 1 of 1