Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

THE DEMO release (rumor)

Page: 1 of 4
 GonkH8er
08-22-2003, 7:53 AM
http://www.lucasarts.com/products/jediacademy/)

confirmed on the new site. Next few weeks.

What do you want in the demo?

Personally I'd like to see both SP and MP in the demo, like the dark forces 2 demo. Shame the Outcast demo was

A) SP only and
B) Post-release
 Kurgan
08-22-2003, 8:32 AM
I'd like to see a level that shows off what the engine can do, without spoiling the SP campaign (ie: how the JK2 demo was done).

It would be nice if an MP map was included, but again, it should be something that the full version builds upon (ie: how the UT demo was done).

It should be cool, but make one want to get the full game...
 Solarn'Gar
08-22-2003, 8:37 AM
I would personally like to see a few things in the demo.

1. An SP mission, not featured in the actual game, ala, the Jedi Outcast demo.

2. An example of some of the new mutiplayer maps. Maybe one fully working multiplayer map. It should probably be a Free For All. Because I'd rather wait till I get the actual game to see the new muliplayer game modes, and it would add to the build up.

and 3. A small example of the customization options. So I can basically check out their new player skins and models, just in case I wanna put my own skins in the game. I can already tell you that I will not be using 'THEIR' Kyle Katarn model and skin. hahaha

That would please me to no end.
 txa1265
08-22-2003, 8:46 AM
I am definitely hopeful for the Demo showing some SP and MP (for you MP guys ;) ), but I really want the demo to have inherent value. I still have the JKII demo on my system, and kick through it now and then. JK & MotS? Gone as soon as the game was installed.

I also think FFA would be good - but Siege would be nice, as it would entice some of the general MP community to try it out, like SoFII demo did.

Maybe this is why they were Gold four weeks before release ?!?!?

Mike
 StormHammer
08-22-2003, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Kurgan
I'd like to see a level that shows off what the engine can do, without spoiling the SP campaign (ie: how the JK2 demo was done).

It would be nice if an MP map was included, but again, it should be something that the full version builds upon (ie: how the UT demo was done).

It should be cool, but make one want to get the full game...

I wholeheartedly agree. The demo for JO was actually worth keeping, as was the 'Uplink' demo for Half-Life, because they were both 'outside' of the actual final game's story. Like Mike said...I deleted the JK demo as soon as I got the full game, and I knew that level like the back of my hand when I played the full game. So I certainly hope they've simply made a level to showcase the engine and style of play again.

An MP map would be nice...but not essential for me. That's not to say I don't want to see what MP is like (especially Siege), but I think I'd also rather wait for the full game to try out the new modes and maps.

And Mike...that's an interesting notion about the delay after it went Gold. Having a demo waiting in the wings as the game is released would seem like a smart move...and a few weeks would seem like a good timescale to put together a short demo.
 txa1265
08-22-2003, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by StormHammer
And Mike...that's an interesting notion about the delay after it went Gold. Having a demo waiting in the wings as the game is released would seem like a smart move...and a few weeks would seem like a good timescale to put together a short demo. It's a thought ... but I actually don't believe it to be true. I tend to think it was more likely a mismatch of schedules. But it matters not, hmm ... ?

I don't care if it has MP or not either, but I know that if it has a SP level from the game I'll avoid it like the plague. As you said for JK & MotS, same goes for SoFII and other games where you get to play a level from the actual game - when you hit it in the real play-through you slice through it like melted butter because (if you liked it) you've already played it more than once and know it by heart and always pause to reload at the right times and take out enemies easily and so on.

One other thought - what do you think of the idea of them moving up the demo release from post-launch to near launch in order to stem some of these 'I use it as a demo' rationalizing pirates? It won't stop piracy, but I mean, if the games gold, the demo is almost ready ... and they can stop some of that idiocy, why not?

Mike
 mariners2001
08-22-2003, 2:48 PM
i'd like it to be both SP and MP but what I'm really wondering about is what saber type you'll get to use.....Personally I'd rather try out the new sabers rather than the single blades (which I bet is all they'll put in the demo)
 Prime
08-22-2003, 3:30 PM
I agree that the level should be different than what is in the actual game, like the JO demo. Like Mike, I won't play it if it does. It should give you ample chances to try out the lightsaber, to get the feel of how the game will play. I don't think it should have any MP elements, because without actually playing other people, it would be kind of pointless. I don't want to see any MP maps before the full game comes out anyway.
 Obi-Wan X
08-22-2003, 3:45 PM
I agree with some of you here. If it has an actual level from SP i'm staying clear of it. And I really don't care about the MP maps demo wise.

I don't mind a demo just showing off the single blade and some stormies. That way I can make sure my comp is good to go ( im sure it is...but you know), and i'm all set.
 Pedro The Hutt
08-22-2003, 6:54 PM
I assume that there'll be limited customization options also, or that you'll only have the ability to pick from a few premade characters. Or something to that extent.
 ryudom
08-22-2003, 6:57 PM
i just want an mp map
 boinga1
08-22-2003, 8:21 PM
Just curious...what makes you think it'll be pre-release? They say "in the coming weeks". JA comes out in less than three weeks. "The coming weeks" could well be the end of September. That's what I first thought it meant, actually.
 Visac
08-22-2003, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by boinga1
Just curious...what makes you think it'll be pre-release? They say "in the coming weeks". JA comes out in less than three weeks. "The coming weeks" could well be the end of September. That's what I first thought it meant, actually.

JA will be released on September 17th which is still over 3 weeks away. I can tell you that they will release the demo before that day. :)

Vis
 Kurgan
08-22-2003, 11:44 PM
Hmm, maybe they could include an MP map or two, fully featured, but make it only playable with bots?
 Obi-Wan X
08-23-2003, 12:04 AM
A multiplayer map or so wouldn't really be a problem. Maybe an FFA or something, but i'd stay away from Siege.
 Reclaimer
08-23-2003, 12:49 AM
That would be good make it a non-offical map.
 boinga1
08-23-2003, 1:15 AM
Originally posted by Visac
JA will be released on September 17th which is still over 3 weeks away. I can tell you that they will release the demo before that day. :)

Vis

You say this based on inside sources or on your own instincts? Forgive me for being the pessimist, but releasing a demp before the game is not at all the traditional way of Lucasarts.
 taekwondo joe
08-23-2003, 1:22 AM
You say this based on inside sources or on your own instincts? Forgive me for being the pessimist, but releasing a demp before the game is not at all the traditional way of Lucasarts. sadly i agree, i really wont to play it before 17th, well, legaly, but i dont see this hapining unless you give me proof
 Reclaimer
08-23-2003, 1:30 AM
Proof please. :D
 Gabrobot
08-23-2003, 2:40 AM
I remember downloading the demos for both Battle for Naboo and Galactic Battlegrounds before those games were shipped. In fact, Lucasarts released the Battlegrounds demo a couple months before the game even went gold, if my memory serves me correctly.
 Emon
08-23-2003, 2:48 AM
The JK demo came out shortly before the full game, so maybe it will here as well.

It doesn't matter so much if it's before, at release, or shortly after. Just not months later when people who were considering the game loose interest.
 Visac
08-23-2003, 4:58 AM
You say this based on inside sources or on your own instincts? Forgive me for being the pessimist, but releasing a demp before the game is not at all the traditional way of Lucasarts.

That's what I heard from "inside" sources. But that's not a big surprise I think. As some already said here in this thread they released the last couple demos before the actual release of the full game, so why not the JA demo either?

The release of the full title is almost 4 weeks away and their website speaks of "coming weeks". To me that means everything from 1 to 4 weeks, not more. You see where I am coming from?
Of course that also could be marketing language for 10 weeks
;)

Vis
 StormHammer
08-24-2003, 1:08 PM
Well, regardless of when the demo is released, I will probably not be playing it until it appears on a PC Mag cover disk. I had to wait for the JO demo to do precisely that, because the download is just too large for my 56k connection to handle... :(

Suffice to say, I will definitely be playing the full game before I can get my hands on the demo. But that's not really an issue for me, because I have a gut-feeling I'm going to really like JA anyway. :)
 Qui-Zan
08-24-2003, 2:03 PM
the JO demo was around 170-190 MB, i downloaded that. Sure it took me a whole night and next day uptil 3PM but i still got it. i'll download it as soon they release it.

unless of course, the game is out.
 txa1265
08-24-2003, 2:10 PM
Originally posted by Qui-Zan
the JO demo was around 170-190 MB, i downloaded that. Sure it took me a whole night and next day uptil 3PM but i still got it. i'll download it as soon they release it.

unless of course, the game is out. Actually the JKII demo was fairly small by current standards - only ~66MB. Nonetheless, for a 56k line that would be an excruciating experience ...

My only interest in the demo is if it contains unique content.

Mike
 Orn Free Taa
08-24-2003, 3:28 PM
I hope we can chose between 2 races and maybe dual saber and the normal one.
Then just like in the Outcast demo the playable level should be one that isn't in the official game.
 Darth]-[azard
08-24-2003, 8:35 PM
Here's an odd Idea, How about the ability to carry the character you create over to the Full Game, if possible.

Also, Unique Level. Maybe 2 single saber stances and Either the Dual saber, or staff.
 Andy867
08-24-2003, 9:14 PM
Wasn't the Jedi Outcast Demo with the never-before-seen level released AFTER The Retail version came out? Thats what I thought happened, if my memory serves me right.
 boinga1
08-24-2003, 9:53 PM
/\ Exactly, that's why I'm so suspicious.

However, we'll probably get a new level with the double and/or dual sabers, and some medium level Force. Pretty much like the JO demo, showing off all the fun parts, saber fighting and Force powers.
 ryudom
08-24-2003, 9:54 PM
yes but jk1 was before
 txa1265
08-25-2003, 1:25 AM
Originally posted by Andy867
Wasn't the Jedi Outcast Demo with the never-before-seen level released AFTER The Retail version came out? Thats what I thought happened, if my memory serves me right. Yes, but if I remember correctly, they put the whole thing together after release ... I'm not sure they were really committed to a demo at all ...

But if they planned it this time, they'd have the chance to take an abandoned idea from the development cycle and work it into a new single level mission. At least I hope so.

Mike
 <EJK>DevMapAll
08-25-2003, 2:25 AM
I say:

SP only. Two races, two hilts, two colors (including red as a starting color, which isnt available in the real game i think). THe level should not be included in the retail version. You get medium level force, two sabers, and the choice of 2-3 force powers to train in. It should include a saber-wielding opponent.

No MP. Not worth it at all. And I liked the JO demo. Its a great level.
 Dr_night
08-25-2003, 2:29 AM
i don't care what is IN the demo, i just want the demo!
*does the demo dance*
:bounce3: :ltblubou: :ltblubou::ltblubou: :rofl:
 Dr_night
08-26-2003, 2:23 AM
i hope it comes out before i get the game unlike JO
 Nobel Jedi
08-26-2003, 3:40 PM
how long before? a day, a week?
 Andy867
08-26-2003, 4:04 PM
No word yet on a specific date, just what Kenn told me
 txa1265
08-26-2003, 4:12 PM
Originally posted by Dr_night
i don't care what is IN the demo, i just want the demo!
*does the demo dance*
:bounce3: :ltblubou: :ltblubou::ltblubou: :rofl: Personally I do care what is in there for two reasons:

- I want it to be demonstrative and enticing for people with no clue about the JK series, with MP and SP and many of the features for customization.

- I want it to be a non-game level ... for selfish reasons.

My thoughts: after playing Breed demo, I'll probably skip that AND Halo. After playing the Tron 2.0 demo ... I remembered that after the initial awe factor of seeing Tron when I was in high school (yeah I'm that old ;) ) it was actually rather boring. After playing the Freedom Fighters demo I remembered why it wasn'tt on my list of games to get. BUT after playing the XIII demo ... I added a game to my list.

Mike
 Prime
08-26-2003, 5:00 PM
Originally posted by txa1265
Personally I do care what is in there for two reasons:

- I want it to be demonstrative and enticing for people with no clue about the JK series, with MP and SP and many of the features for customization. Indeed. Basically, I just want a demonstration of what the gameplay is like (lightsabers in particular). I'd be happy with something as simple as a duel in a box. I'm sure we'll get more than that, but anything extra is gravy as far as I'm concerned. Anything like the JO demo would be fine.

- I want it to be a non-game level ... for selfish reasons. Absolutely. I want to know as little about the storyline as possible. I also want each level in the game to be completely new to me.

But there doesn't seem to be much time left to release a demo, does it?
 •-BLaCKouT-•
08-26-2003, 5:54 PM
Yes, but if I remember correctly, they put the whole thing together after release ... I'm not sure they were really committed to a demo at all ...
The way I recall it* they'd put a playable demo together for E3 or some similar event well before the retail release. But yes, for some reason best known to themselves, chose to wait 6 (?) weeks or so after the retail release before releasing the demo to the public.
Strange, strange logic.

Mind you, I didn't have JKO when the demo came out, so I was happy :p

Oh, and my 2p's worth: I'd like a level that's not in the full game. I also have the JKO demo still on my system, and I also rage through it fairly regularly.

B.

* Although I do not claim to be in any way an expert, or to have a completely 'sound' memory :p
 Prime
08-26-2003, 6:16 PM
I saw that :) I was just thinking there is only about 3 weeks left before the retail game is released. By the time the demo actually gets out there, there will probably only be a week or two left. It seems like a fairly short amount of time before the retail version is available, that's all.
 txa1265
08-26-2003, 6:20 PM
Originally posted by •-BLaCKouT-•
The way I recall it* they'd put a playable demo together for E3 or some similar event well before the retail release. But yes, for some reason best known to themselves, chose to wait 6 (?) weeks or so after the retail release before releasing the demo to the public.
Strange, strange logic.
It would be interesting if someone more 'in the know' could refresh our memories.

I know it was the E3 level, but I thought that after release the demo discussion started and someone had the idea of wrapping up the E3 level.

However it happened, it was a very nice demo for SP which spoiled nothing. I still have it, and played it last night ... it is still fun ...

Mike
 Nobel Jedi
08-27-2003, 6:20 PM
i hope it comes out FAST :D i can't wait to play
 Dr_night
08-28-2003, 6:46 AM
i hear they update the site on fridays, i hope it's this one
 Nobel Jedi
08-28-2003, 2:36 PM
me 2 :D
 ExcelsioN
08-31-2003, 7:45 AM
I have the PC Zone UK mag, and it says that for its next issue, it will have the JA demo on the cover discs. The next issue is out on September 18, which means that the demo, most likely, if not will be out before the retail version.

I too would like an FFA mp map, and a SP map not in the retail version.
 Andy867
08-31-2003, 2:51 PM
But who's to say that is an exclusive demo and the only available source, thing about those who will download it. it wouldn't make sense to hold back until after the release date just so people can wait for a magazine to get their suscription holders a copy when people like myself would spend the hour/hour and a half downloading the demo from websites. For all we know the demo will be released tomorrow or next week, but the PC ZONE UK like you said, wont get their next suscription out till September 18th.
 Obi-Wan X
08-31-2003, 3:38 PM
I agree, it could come before the 18th.
 JEDI OUTCAST
08-31-2003, 3:43 PM
i agree with obi wan x on this one.

you sould not have come back old man.
 jadenkorr
08-31-2003, 4:00 PM
most of the time with games they put out a demo b4 u can buy the game. i hope that this will be the case with JA.
 JDKnite188
08-31-2003, 7:51 PM
I would love to see a demo! In hope I want . . .

1. A new SP map apart from the full game (JK2 did this perfectly, that demo map owned)

I don't know about an MP demo. I really don't care for it.
Page: 1 of 4