Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

OMG, this is so cool...

Page: 1 of 1
 Cloud Leonhart
08-16-2003, 8:42 AM
Heh, I cant believe it took me this long to find this mod! I hang around massassi too much I guess. Anyways, I found my way here through the mercenary kyle model. And I must say, bravo! Great stuff! I would pay for the full version of this if it was nessacary! Now that I have got my initial excitement out of the way, I wanted to ask, are there any plans to release your new models sepereatly like the Mercenary Kyle? I specifically would love to see this one.http://darkforces.jediknightii.net/screenshots/models/player/stroop00.jpg)
That stormtrooper makes a huge improvement! So please, release some of your other models, I beg you!
 Infinity Blade
08-16-2003, 2:37 PM
I do believe Hap plans to... :)

The modellers can release their own work, if they want.... Whether or not is pretty much up to them.
 Cloud Leonhart
08-16-2003, 3:11 PM
Well, I will keep my fingers crossed! BTW, the Mercenary Kyle is the perfect replacement for Kyle, and I am using it in my single player game as we speak :)
 TK-8252
08-16-2003, 9:39 PM
Many people think HapSlash is the god of Jedi Outcast modelling and skinning, including me. I worship him. If he doesn't (which he will hopefully) finish those models soon I am going to kill myself.
:hang1:
 HapSlash
08-16-2003, 11:49 PM
Uh-oh,...

Better go out back and get the body bags ready.

The models are coming along slower than I would have liked, so it may be a while yet. The first one finished should be the X-wing Pilot and then maybe the Imperial officer or the Snowtrooper. After that the Stormtrooper will probably have my highest priority.

And just so no one goes offing themselves just yet, I threw together a little pic for you stormtrooper fans,...

http://wat.midco.net/eggnog1/sandtrooper.jpg)

:dev7:
 Mullaney
08-17-2003, 2:03 PM
At first glance I thought it was real.
 The_One
08-17-2003, 3:29 PM
If only there was a way we could get that Sand Trooper into the mod.

*thinks*
 The Count
08-17-2003, 4:22 PM
Originally posted by The_One
If only there was a way we could get that Sand Trooper into the mod.

*thinks*

There is bound to be a few of them on the Executor.
 TK-8252
08-17-2003, 4:59 PM
Although it's not exactly correct, I want to make a mod to put his Sandtrooper into the Jedi Outcast single player replacing the Stormtrooper Officers, Commanders, and Rocket Troopers. So I got dibs on the SP mods! :D (Just kidding, everyone can make what they want ;) !)
 The_One
08-17-2003, 5:43 PM
Originally posted by TK8252MJL
Although it's not exactly correct, I want to make a mod to put his Sandtrooper into the Jedi Outcast single player replacing the Stormtrooper Officers, Commanders, and Rocket Troopers. So I got dibs on the SP mods! :D (Just kidding, everyone can make what they want ;) !)

Errr, right...
 The Count
08-17-2003, 7:00 PM
Hey Rich, why don't you make that DF to JA information as a sticky, it will inform alot of people here, (well obviously seeing as it is information)

Ted.
 The_One
08-17-2003, 9:03 PM
Originally posted by The Count
Hey Rich, why don't you make that DF to JA information as a sticky, it will inform alot of people here, (well obviously seeing as it is information)

Ted.

That's my plan, when I get round to it ;)

Also, Cloud Leonhart, I don't suppose you could make your sig image smaller, please? I don't suppose I'm alone in this request...
 The Count
08-17-2003, 10:28 PM
You have to admit though, it is a kick ass signature!
 The Count
08-18-2003, 10:10 AM
I was thinking, if there is a Model of an Imperial Landing Craft Shuttle, arriving on the Executor, those Sandtroopers come out, and start attacking everyone's favourite mercenary.
 Mullaney
08-19-2003, 12:53 AM
Woah, thats a really neat idea. That would be real cool if that was in the game.
 michael_collins
08-19-2003, 12:26 PM
Put the Sandtroopers in the Gromas level, it would fit well with the overall ambience and the dirtyness of the level as they look grimy, the same as the rest of the level.
 The_Mega_ZZTer
08-19-2003, 2:42 PM
A landing craft coming back to the Executor would most likely be empty... there would be a few cases where it might come back with a full load, but not many...

So anyways, THAT WOULD ROCK. :D

And the idea about Sandtroopers in Gromas is good... although the whole point is for camoflage, and they might not blend in well (maybe make a gromastrooper?).
 Mullaney
08-19-2003, 2:57 PM
Camoflage doesn't make any sense. They are bright white with the shoulder pad that houses the self-cooling device.
 michael_collins
08-19-2003, 11:29 PM
Stormtroopers as a whole arent meant for camoflage, theyre imperial shock troops, so they should be shocking. The bone white was always frightening, no matter what star wars game I played, and when I first saw them i knew it was an imperial base. Even the Zero-G ones in Xwing alliance caused shivers.

The reason I thought it would have been interesting for them on Gromas was that theyre already dirty and that they could easily be fitted in well with the terrain.

PS, Hapslash? that A-Wing pilot is positively KICKING even in the early stages. Good job as ever man!
 TK-8252
08-20-2003, 12:40 AM
I agree that Sandtroopers on Gromas would be cool (even though I have no idea what it's like there since I haven't played Dark Forces since my childhood) but I would really like the mod be kept accurate. I don't really think that getting the Sandtrooper into the mod is nessesary since we have room for them in JO SP, JA SP, and in fan-made levels.

BTW, does anyone else think that HapSlash has quite a few pop-ups on his website?
 Infinity Blade
08-20-2003, 10:03 AM
BTW, does anyone else think that HapSlash has quite a few pop-ups on his website? That would be the curse of Tripod....

It didn't used to be that bad... used to be only one when you first went to the page, but then they decided to make it a pop up for every page displayed.

I have an account there as well, and I know how annoying it can be... it's not that bad if you move the popup off screen, as it opens up the new one in the same popup window....

But still, we'd like to get rid of them... but that'll have to wait until we can figure something better, and when we have the time.
 HapSlash
08-20-2003, 4:10 PM
Originally posted by michael_collins
PS, Hapslash? that A-Wing pilot is positively KICKING even in the early stages. Good job as ever man!Thanks,... although right now he isn't much more than a recolored x-pilot with several assorted shapes stapled to his head.

BTW, does anyone else think that HapSlash has quite a few pop-ups on his website?One of the drawbacks to free web-hosting. Unfortunately I can't afford anything else, so for the time being the pop-ups will have to be tolerated.

But to make things easier, you could do what I do. Grab the tripod window by the top left corner, then pull it down to the bottom right side of the screen, just so it covers the clock. Then you can close any other windows that may have popped up, they don't come back.

You should be able to browse the site more easily that way. Just remember to close the Tripod window when you're done.
 TK-8252
08-20-2003, 5:01 PM
Well, I got a pop-up stopper. But I got it mainly because I go to your website everyday (praying that there will be something new) and all those pop-ups sometimes crash my computer!
 HapSlash
08-20-2003, 6:54 PM
Hmmm,... usually I only get 2-3 of them.
 Benevolence
08-21-2003, 1:11 AM
Sandtroopers are not meant for camoflage, they get dirty from being out in the Tatooine sand storms. I would prefer the mod be kept as accurate to the original Dark Forces as possible. Save the Sandtrooper for Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy.

If that was the case we wouldn't be putting snowtroopers into the mod. I think sandtroopers in gromas would be appropriate.
 The_One
08-21-2003, 2:11 PM
Originally posted by Benevolence
If that was the case we wouldn't be putting snowtroopers into the mod. I think sandtroopers in gromas would be appropriate.

I agree!
 TK-8252
08-21-2003, 2:37 PM
What level is going to have Snowtroopers in it?
 Fracman
08-21-2003, 3:29 PM
Robotics would be suitable since it is an ice world, unless we'll have "IceTroopers" there :D
 Emon
08-21-2003, 4:37 PM
Snowtroopers make the most sense.
 TK-8252
08-22-2003, 4:12 AM
Also, I was wondering what was going to happen with the Crix Madine model that Infinity Blade is making. Is HapSlash going to take over and use his new Imperial Officer body, or... what? Same thing applies to the Imperial Commando model that Corto made. Or will the mod just use Hap's Imperial Navy Trooper? (which is looking good even in early stages)
 Infinity Blade
08-22-2003, 8:12 AM
I'm still doing Crix as of now. The note of Hapslash working on it in the website and anywhere else that might say that is a mistake, one that both Hap and I have mentioned, but just has yet to be corrected.

I am basing the torso of the Crix model after Hap's officer torso, as we both thought it would be good idea just so that they look of similar design. That's where Hap's involvement so far in the model ends.

There is a fairly early pic of the model/skin on my website... I'll have a newer one up, but probably not till after I finish Jan.
 michael_collins
08-22-2003, 11:02 PM
Hap is doing a navy trooper model? its not on his webpage, are you sure you arent thinking of the Gen. Veers model?

PS and while I am here, does anybody want to undertake a dangerous mission to whoever is doing the modeling for the Phase 2 DT and find out what its looking like at the moment? Preferably a guy whos got a leather jacket and a bryar pistol?
 TK-8252
08-22-2003, 11:52 PM
The Imperial Navy Trooper is shown in Hap's website in the A New Hope section. But all Hap has done is taken the original Imperial Commander and added the helmet, gloves, and utility belt boxes.

I think HapSlash has enslaved all of us. (I know he has enslaved me)
 Katarn07
08-22-2003, 11:56 PM
Hey guys! TK8252MJL wants this kept as closely to the original as possible! I wasn't the only one :p

I got a link to that sandtrooper and was in awe. Then I heard Hap did it. Then I had to see if it'd sneek its way into this mod. Came straight here and to this thread. If I were still able to get the mod, I'd beg for it to pop up in Gromas! :D :D :D

It'd do great in that enviroment, but I feel that's the only place it'd really fit in. What do Sandtroopers do that normal troops don't do? That gear is for harsh enviroments (Tatooine, Gromas...) so it wouldn't look good in Fest or Ramsees Hed ;)
 TK-8252
08-23-2003, 12:05 AM
Well, I haven't played Dark Forces for about at least 7 years so I basically don't have a clue about what the game was like. And I don't think I ever got past the 3rd level! So my opinions are somewhat worthless. But you got to admit, that sniper rifle idea for the mod was kind of extreme. And if there is an ice planet then you got to have Snowtroopers.

BTW, I don't know if all the Stormtroopers in Dark Forces were left-handed, but the little Stormtrooper animation on the webpage is left-handed so I was wondering if the team was going to make the Stormtrooper left-handed in the mod. (if possible)
 Fracman
08-23-2003, 5:54 AM
the Phase 2 DT and find out what its looking like at the moment?
The Dark Trooper Phase 2 is still a robot, and there are no coincidences with a well known guy whos got a leather jacket and a bryar pistol.
Even the DT 3 is a robot, and only General Mohc had a wearable DT armor I think.
 michael_collins
08-23-2003, 6:56 PM
i meant that a guy with a leather coat and a bryar pistol could go in an retrieve the plans for the DT 2 off whoever is modeling it, it was a poor attempt at humour
 Barry Brien
08-30-2003, 4:41 PM
Originally posted by michael_collins
Put the Sandtroopers in the Gromas level, it would fit well with the overall ambience and the dirtyness of the level as they look grimy, the same as the rest of the level.

Maybe, but my understanding was that sandtroopers, were actually field troopers, and are not just peculiar to sandy environments.

Some fieldtroopers would make sense in Talay and maybe Ramsees Hed and Nar Shaddaa, though HapSlash would have to clean some of the muck off them first.
 Tie Pilot
09-06-2003, 9:45 AM
Maybe, but my understanding was that sandtroopers, were actually field troopers, and are not just peculiar to sandy environments.

Not sure, no one really knows because they are only really ever mentioned as being on desert planets, the shoulder plate could be done on other stormtroopers for sure, thats for rank, but im not sure about the backpacks, although what you say does make alot of sense id still like to see sandtroopers on gromas only, because thats were they would be most appropriate even if its not entirely 100% true.
 TK-8252
09-06-2003, 9:51 PM
Tie Pilot, we need to have a talk.

First of all, the way Jedi Outcast had Stormtrooper officers with shoulder pauldrons is wrong. The Star Wars visual dictionary says that Stormtrooper officers have armor IDENTICAL to the regular troops. And that only Sandtroopers have pauldrons.

orange= squad leader, white= sergeant, black= enlisted

BTW, no one has answered my question yet which is: Will there be left-handed Stormtroopers in the mod like there were (I think) in the original Dark Forces.
 Infinity Blade
09-07-2003, 12:35 AM
I kind of doubt we'd go through the effort of making them left handed. I would think that doing it would require several changes, from animation to coding, to switch the gun from on hand to the other.

For one, there's isn't a left handed blaster pose that I'm aware of, which would require new/mirrored animations. (firing, idle, ready stance, etc). The animations would also have to be set for the troopers to be a "lefty".

Second, the tag and such for the weapon would have to switch hands, and while I haven't done much for JO coding so far, I could see it possibly posing some problems there as well.

I would say it's doubtful unless JA comes with a prebuilt option for allowing left-handers...

... or someone miraculously finds a way to easily and quickly implement it... :D
 TK-8252
09-07-2003, 12:58 AM
I could never figure out why most of the Stormtroopers in the movies were left-handed. Since they are just regular enlisted people, it doesn't make any sense.
 Tie Pilot
09-07-2003, 6:38 AM
Tie Pilot, we need to have a talk.

First of all, the way Jedi Outcast had Stormtrooper officers with shoulder pauldrons is wrong. The Star Wars visual dictionary says that Stormtrooper officers have armor IDENTICAL to the regular troops. And that only Sandtroopers have pauldrons.

orange= squad leader, white= sergeant, black= enlisted

BTW, no one has answered my question yet which is: Will there be left-handed Stormtroopers in the mod like there were (I think) in the original Dark Forces.

hmm, getting a bit to series aren't we. "we need to have a talk " lol:p , anyways nothing has to be 100% exact, no matter how much someone would like it to be, ill just be happy to see the mod finished and out:D

Visual dictionary basher!!

Btw i also dont think it would be worth the effort to make them left handed neither, as i said it doesnt have to be exact, do you think the casual gamer will give a **** about what hand a stormtrooper uses:p
 TK-8252
09-07-2003, 1:22 PM
(Forgive me for going off topic) Tie Pilot, are you in the 501st?
 HapSlash
09-07-2003, 2:34 PM
I could never figure out why most of the Stormtroopers in the movies were left-handed. Since they are just regular enlisted people, it doesn't make any sense.

Actually about the only time you ever see them left handed is while the troopers are standing at attention. Probably so that the weapons clip, which hangs off to the left, doesn't rub against their chest. During any other time they're almost exclusively right handed.
 Tie Pilot
09-07-2003, 7:47 PM
how could i be in the 501st, i live in northern ireland. I have no affilation with any army of any country but i am a tie pilot............

In xwing vs tie fighter hehehe:p

Btw why exactly is it so important for you to see left handed stormtroopers?

And Why are you being so serious? This is a gaming forum not a star wars expanded universerse stormtrooper analysis forum?

:confused: :p
 TK-8252
09-07-2003, 8:23 PM
I meant This (http://www.501st.com) 501st.

I just thought that if the Stormtroopers in Dark Forces were left-handed that it'd be nice to see left-handers in the mod.

Well, I was just providing information about the uniforms, I didn't see myself being any more serious than normal.

;)
 Tie Pilot
09-07-2003, 8:38 PM
ah i see sorry for the confusion, anyways nope im not in that, but it seems like a good thing to be in.
 Katarn07
09-07-2003, 9:01 PM
Not even I noticed the left handed soldiers :rolleyes: :p I guess because you're a stormie buff? I like the commandos, when they die, they seem to fire a shot into the air and their helmet falls off. Officers hats fly off. Did they in JO? (not saying you gotta make their hats fall off, just forgot and am curious if they did or not)
 TK-8252
09-07-2003, 10:20 PM
No, the officer's hats never flew off in JO, I don't think it's possible even in JA, although the new saber slash marks show what the new engine can do.
Page: 1 of 1