Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Invisible NPCs

Page: 1 of 1
 recombinant
06-26-2003, 7:09 PM
Just to show you that NPCs are getting spawned, but are not visible (I'm not concerned about this issue - it's not even on the radar yet so don't get hung up on it), check out the following screenshots.

http://64.224.160.19/jk2images/InvisiNPC1.jpg)
http://64.224.160.19/jk2images/InvisiNPC2.jpg)

The arrow indicates that the crosshair is showing an enemy target (which moves kind of erratically and makes sounds ingame, and if I shoot him he makes ouchy sounds), which is an NPC.

Anyway, FWIW, I thought it was kinda cool. The WLS engine was developed to the point where it could spawn the NPC, but then it really doesn't do much interesting stuff after that.

...and that is the source of a future programming project.

:holosid:
 Fracman
06-26-2003, 7:36 PM
Hehe really funny... we could entitle this as "The Ghost Trooper Revenge" or "Secret Weapons Of The Imps - Hunt for the Trooper Cloaking Device", you see, it works perfectly :D
 recombinant
06-26-2003, 7:37 PM
Exactly! LOL.

It's a feature!

:D
 michael_collins
06-26-2003, 9:24 PM
more interested in that fusion cutter :D
 The Cheat
06-26-2003, 11:54 PM
wow that is amazing, right up there with that empty bag i found earlier today
 ImmolatedYoda
06-27-2003, 1:25 AM
haha really cool, im interested as to its meaning to the mod...;)
and like michael, im more interested in that fusion cutter....:D
 The Cheat
06-27-2003, 10:37 AM
yeah what does this have to do with the dark forces mod? wouldnt this fit better in like yoda's swamp or something
 Infinity Blade
06-27-2003, 10:45 AM
Well, you can look at it as he's sharing the info about getting our npc's to spawn... giving us a brief update, and them being invisible is just something odd to see at the same time...

You also have to remember our team forums crapped out when the website went down... so something like this might've been posted there, instead.
 ImmolatedYoda
06-27-2003, 1:41 PM
oooooohhh...i thought that recomb was pointing out that they were invisible, not the fact that you can actually spawn them..:D good work the coder formerly known as JediStone!
 recombinant
06-27-2003, 4:33 PM
Originally posted by michael_collins
more interested in that fusion cutter :D

You should be!!! :D

Man, I hope Darth_Linux doesn't kick my keester for letting that slip out. Too late, I guess.

But a very good observation, nonetheless - not that you could really miss it... ;)

Anyway, I probably should have had the bryar pistol in the screenshot instead of that weapon, since that's possibly not going to be the final skin for it anyway (though I really dig it).

My bad.

...btw, there's more information about that little puppy in the General Editing forum, since I've been working on the code to drive the four-barrel firing, and I've posted the progress on happenings there. It has a happy ending, btw. ;)

I figured you'd like some evidence that some of us are working on the code, since it was implied that it seemed as if the only thing happening was models, texturing, and mapping.

the info about getting our npc's to spawn... giving us a brief update, and them being invisible is just something odd to see at the same time...

Infinity's interpretation of my message is spot on. Usually I'd post this kind of thing in team forums, but since they don't exist at the moment I just posted it here... and yes it's just a weird thing, but cool that the NPC is there to begin with.

:holosid:
 recombinant
06-29-2003, 1:32 AM
Page: 1 of 1