Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

foxing?

Page: 1 of 1
 endo
05-30-2003, 9:22 AM
dont you fear that your mod might get foxed by lucas art?
 runner08
05-30-2003, 9:30 AM
what do you mean by this? If you are dissing the moderators then this is going to get ugly StormHammer is not one to mess with

but welcome to lucasforums I am kinda new also a/s/l
 endo
05-30-2003, 9:49 AM
nah dont mean to diss anyone.

foxing means that the mod might get, errrm, stopped by lucas art because it uses their intellectual property, breaks their copyright and stuff like that.

FOX Interactive used this on some games/mods who wanted to create something based on their movies.
and since then the term "foxing" stuck.

most prominent examples i know of is the "Generations" mod for quake 2 and a Duke Nukem mod for q3 or UT.

oh hi why 53/male/kasachztan ;)
 The Count
05-30-2003, 9:52 AM
Please type in correct coherent English the both of you (I'm not being bossy or rude its just hard to read and) anyway welcome anyway, but no this MOD won't be foxed, there was an April Fools joke about it and that was the close it got. This MOD doesn't violate any of the LEC copyright laws or the liscence agreement.
 endo
05-30-2003, 10:06 AM
ah ok
the problem with Generations was that they used alot of content from the original games (converted quake 1 models to q2)
but this darkforces mod seems to create all the content themselves

im awfully sorry that my english dissrupts your reading flow, but thats the best it will get, so you better get used to it :P
 The_One
05-30-2003, 12:06 PM
Count_Dooku - he's not English, so give him a break ;)

Also, there is always the danger that this project may get the chop. It is small, but it is still there none the less. We have gotten thus far without any LEC interference, so we have come to the conclusion they are fine with it. We are a pretty big MOD, so they are no doubt aware of our existance.

But they are perfectly within their rights to fox us if they wish. Let's just hope it never happens.
 Geoffrey S
05-30-2003, 4:41 PM
If LEC would want to 'fox' the DF mod, then there isn't really anything that could stop them. But as far as I can tell the team is trying to do everything to make this as small a possibility as they can by making all the textures themselves, and not lifting any files directly from Dark Forces. But as The_One said, if LEC would ever have wanted to shut the project down they could (and probably would) have done so a long time ago.
 HapSlash
05-30-2003, 5:09 PM
While there always is the possibility of getting shut down I feel it's rather remote.

I've noticed in the past that Lucas is rather lenient on the fans in their expressions of love for the Star Wars universe. The only times I can remember them coming down on anyone was when someone was trying to make a quick buck off of it. And as far as I'm aware, we still aren't getting paid, 'cause I'm as broke as ever,...
 The Count
05-30-2003, 7:14 PM
Originally posted by The_One
Count_Dooku - he's not English, so give him a break ;)

Also, there is always the danger that this project may get the chop. It is small, but it is still there none the less. We have gotten thus far without any LEC interference, so we have come to the conclusion they are fine with it. We are a pretty big MOD, so they are no doubt aware of our existance.

But they are perfectly within their rights to fox us if they wish. Let's just hope it never happens.

Sorry I never took that into consideration, I keep thinking this place is full of people from ol' blighty and the US. However if they were to fox it, I suppose you could still going on aslong if you said oh yeah the Daark Foorces MOOD or something like BFP did. I love Star Wars MODs though it potentially gives everyone the chance to be George Lucas.
 The_One
05-30-2003, 8:46 PM
Changing the name would do nothing.

We are clearly using their intellectual property: sounds, concepts, story, level design and script. They could fox us in an instance if they wanted, and we couldn't do jack about it...
 Katarn07
05-30-2003, 9:37 PM
Yeah, they're all right. But that gave you no right to pull that April 1st crap over on us :p
 The_One
05-31-2003, 9:01 AM
Originally posted by Katarn07
Yeah, they're all right. But that gave you no right to pull that April 1st crap over on us :p

I had the skills, I had the time, I had ftp access, I had a cruel idea, it was April 1st and I'm British.

What kind of explanation were you hoping for? :p
 Dante_CL
05-31-2003, 12:09 PM
That is true about fox foxing means that the mod might get, errrm, stopped by lucas art because it uses their intellectual property, breaks their copyright and stuff like that posted by endo.well goodluck
 endo
06-01-2003, 1:08 PM
I had the skills, I had the time, I had ftp access, I had a cruel idea, it was April 1st and I'm British.

What kind of explanation were you hoping for? :p

ROFL :D
 The Count
06-07-2003, 6:30 PM
Ahhhh British Humor, I consider it a mental disability if you can't understand it.
 The_One
06-07-2003, 6:56 PM
Originally posted by Darth Tyranus
Ahhhh British Humor, I consider it a mental disability if you can't understand it.

Well said :p

BTW, nice avatar ;)

(Very much interested in Russian history)
 The Count
06-07-2003, 8:56 PM
Well said :p

BTW, nice avatar ;)

(Very much interested in Russian history)

Thanks British humor is the highest form of wit, Thank you its nice finally someone said something nice about my avatar (it has caused some contraversy in the swamp)

I think Russian history is fascinating, I've got an exam on the Cold War in a few days, too bad I was unable to pursue more Russian History, perhaps at Univeristy I may.
 Solbe M'ko
06-08-2003, 3:06 AM
I really can't understand "foxing". If a group of people love a game/franchise/whatever enough to spend time making a mod, then put it out on the internet for all to see (thus promoting/advertising it) why the HELL would the owner get mad? Free ad space+complement=Lawsuit? That's stupid.
 Fracman
06-08-2003, 6:38 AM
It's not just this. Companies pay a lot for coders, designers, modellers and texturers. Then they want to protect their inventions and intellectual properties.
Sure, they can't do everything right for everyone.
Therefore here and there, the community starts to ask for addon's and in the past few years also more and more for game development kits.
I remember asking for such thing for Rogue Squadron, but there was no answer at all, no SDK, although I really like flying around
through canyons and fighting TIEs with an A-Wing :p
You know, LEC never released the SDK for JO, it was Raven...
The modding community is tolerated by LEC and other
large game companies that simply use existing game engines.
The companies that create game engines, like Id, on the other
hand, want to spread their product.
To make levels with GTK etc. is one thing,
but we even modifiy the code, use DF design and textures as template, we (re-)create a complete game,
this is totally different!!!

If LEC had planned to release a newer version of DF one day,
they sure would have stopped our project long time ago.
Since they did not and also tolerate all the other mods,
that help selling the official games, we are pretty confident!

Heh... following the example of G. Lucas himself,
LEC could make a prequel game where you play Kyle as child,
something like the "Adventures of the Young Katarn" ;)
 CortoCG
06-08-2003, 5:26 PM
No more updates.
 The Count
06-08-2003, 6:09 PM
I actually liked Bounty Hunter.
 Fracman
06-08-2003, 7:46 PM
heh... at the time it came out, i even liked SotE,
even if its graphics were too simplistic.
but it was a nice arcade style game :p
Page: 1 of 1