Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

JK1 TC, would you like to help?

Page: 2 of 5
 reaper1576
06-28-2002, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by Harukaze
Not yet; I was not one hundred percent certain it would work with Jedi Outcast. There are differences between Q3 and JO, even though JO is based off the engine; I was not certain if those differences would make Tempest incompatible or not. I'll take it your questions implies that it is compatible, so I'll have to download it. there a tutorial for it at http://richdiesal.jedioutcastmaps.com/main/index.html)
installed it on my machine for DS aint got round to playing with it yet hope it helps 1 prob is somthing to do with shaders soz cant help more
 reaper1576
06-29-2002, 4:23 AM
here one thing thats bugging me at the moment regarding the texture what does every one thing use the origianl 1s and convert them to 32bit or use Jo textures i havent got a clue with shaders and creating texture or get some 1 to create new 1s based on the origianl
 reaper1576
06-29-2002, 4:26 AM
is itr posible for you or some 1 ealse to recreate the droid from the intro to JK1 cant rember its name soz anyone up for it let me know
 reaper1576
06-29-2002, 4:53 AM
good news we have maybe a mapper and coder there new to mapping but know VB
 Harukaze
06-29-2002, 5:35 AM
VB as in Visual Basic? Is that even anything we can use?

Anyway I'm gonna go get Tempest and try it out, and see about some concepts for Yun.

And by droid, do you mean 8t88? I should hope we'll get him modelled eventually; he's kinda important.
 reaper1576
06-29-2002, 5:54 AM
VB as in Visual Basic? Is that even anything we can use?

Anyway I'm gonna go get Tempest and try it out, and see about some concepts for Yun.

And by droid, do you mean 8t88? I should hope we'll get him modelled eventually; he's kinda important.
Thanks well wont be needing him just yet sorting out some thing of what i did on the map ooops (made the doors a bit big ok im a bit rusty) lol well im gona do a prefab for the bar in the intro as well and hoful get some one to script it :P taht would be nice seeig the intro in 3D mmmmmm soz lol but thanks any way well i dont know i vb will help if not we got some one to help out with bits and peaces when it comes to programing im crap faild my SQL exam 3 times now :( (think i will leave thta 4 a while) o well look like MS are Ј300 up thanks to me
 reaper1576
06-29-2002, 6:10 AM
Found some thing that may be of use saber hilt dont know if u want to create new 1s for the bosses but check them out what do u think http://members.tripod.com/MousieDroid/Hilt/Sabers_Library.html)
 reaper1576
06-29-2002, 6:23 AM
Ok ive sent an email off to sdarkshadow and ill talk to him about geting us hosted on his site any other offers out there please let me know or leave a post in here for me and i will contact you or vice versa and we will see what happens from there at the moment i'm having trouble geting screen shoots posted at jedioutcastmaps

Reaper1576 (reaper_23@hotmail.com)
 Harukaze
06-29-2002, 6:47 AM
Sorry, I should have posted this. I'm already handling the jk2edit.com thing.
 reaper1576
06-29-2002, 7:33 AM
Sorry, I should have posted this. I'm already handling the jk2edit.com thing. cool thanks for that let me know what happens save me a few things to do at the moment:cool:
 reaper1576
06-29-2002, 7:41 AM
has anyone got any idears for models for npc what i could us in the bar at narshadda and npc to add a bit of life to the bar or for people walking about in narshadda
 reaper1576
06-29-2002, 7:43 AM
does anyone know how to add coustem npc in to the game
 reaper1576
06-29-2002, 6:16 PM
Ok ive been doing somethinking about a few of the bosses would like some feed back on this people.
This is to with fighting styles

Gork & Pic
first lets talk about gork i think his fighting stance should me very powerful but im not 100% on this for him it been a long time since i played Jk1 so please coment people
well know Pic i do rember a lot better i think his fighting style should be very fast using force speed & jump the idea for this after watching episoide 2 the yoda battle and what i rember from the game (dont worry ppl im gonna go back and play it a bit)

Boc
ok this is what i was thinking a cross between to saber style blue & red u know what i meen with this with force jump & speed

so people what do you thing get back with ur comment ad sugestion
 reaper1576
06-29-2002, 6:24 PM
Ok i found a douument with a lot of console comand and i came a cross this Hidden saber style is there any way to get them into a gome with out using cheats and here it is im off to play with it so any ideas

and here it is i found this in the propak.zip cant rember where i downloaded it from soz
setforceall 10
 reaper1576
06-29-2002, 8:41 PM
Ok i tryd out the two hidden saber style they are both single handed style one blue and one red and they are cool better than the standard ones in JO does any one know how to unlock them with out cheats enabled so we could use them in the TC they might be useful for the boc model dont know but check them out and let me know what u think should we or shouldnt we:cool:
 Lucko Mabri
06-29-2002, 9:16 PM
Greats Sirob. did you know that kman guy has moved your request for skinners to mod central? what is with that kman guy? he's threatening to even close down yoda model thread!
 Mirko
06-30-2002, 12:22 AM
Theese two hidden Stances are used By Tavion, Dessan and/or Luke...
I would like to have this mod, but i'm sorry, because i cant help you (I can't map/code/model...).
But i have some Suggestions:
Someone mentioned, he would like to see a complete Nar Shaddaa with mutiple paths to the end of the Level. I Think this would be false. You should try, to keep the original Levels, and don't change the ways you have to go. But you should Add details that make Nar Shadaa look bigger. You Could Add closed Doors (I Think Raven Did that in bespin, at least in the MP map)you could make NPCs move in areas you cannot reach (something that is missingin JO) You could make Ships fly by (in JK1 there was the sound of flying ships in it), or add some Scripted events (two Grans fighting each other before they see you).

The Only Problems i See are the fight against boc and some missing Weapons and Characters, because that can't be coded in Single Player (as far as i know), because there is no SDK.

I hope to see screens soon...
Good Luck!
 Grets Sirob
06-30-2002, 1:32 AM
Mirko, I agree that we need the originals, we will do that.
We will also, however, be making the levels differently.
So we have one set, with all the originals, and the other, with remakes. And yeah, closed doors are a necessity(one thing missing in just about all games like this, maps are too linear...).
Boc will be tough, but we might be able to pull it off...

The weapons are no problem at all. There is a way to change the way weapons work(right?).
And we could just change the models(for the weapons).

Wait, nevermind, I see...

:sithm: You will die, painfully.
 reaper1576
06-30-2002, 3:33 AM
i agree with both of you on this its not worth messing around to much with the level but add more detail and atmospheare i think the way around the weapons is to create them to replace the origianl ones sorry for being vage on this bit i thik its to do with the models no 100% on this and the adding more detail is a defernet thingis there anyone out there who could help with unlooking the to saber style ???? at the momment narshaddas shaping up afther cathing a few misstakes before i got to far with it soz about the screen shots people ive given up with jedioutcastmaps.com seems they post what they want after sending it 3 thime over the week is there any one who can help me out with triger having some problems and to get npc to follow there route before the attack you
 reaper1576
06-30-2002, 7:44 AM
Can everyone who haas joind this project please contact me so i know 100% what evey ones doing thanks:cool:
 Harukaze
06-30-2002, 10:12 PM
Anyone involved should also PM me with your email address and the alias you want for email forwarding.

We have our forums, but I still need to set them up. I'll let you know when that's done.

Gonna try to bust through some more modelling tutorials today too. Haven't even imported a base model yet, so I'm going to try to get that done today. From there, it's just a matter of playing with facial structures, since my first version is going to be a quick edit, mostly to see that I can take a model and put it back into the game. From there I can see about more complicated stuff. Each step will be a learning process, but I'm stubborn [wouldn't've made it through three years of college so far if I'm not] and I really want to duel Yun in SP. If I can manage a fairly realistic duel against him by the end of July, I'll be happy, since that would also include learning Icarus to give him some tactics.

Random question: does anyone know if Force Persuasion/Mind Tricks work for enemies in SP? In MP, it makes you invisible, and it is essentially that in SP [not counting when Icarus is used to make something special happen, like with the Ugnaught and with a few Imp commanders]. So, if an enemy used it, would he vanish? I ask because that was one of the powers Yun used in JK. Blindness won't work, but persuasion might.

Does anyone else find it interesting that Yun uses light-side powers in JK?
 The_One
06-30-2002, 10:48 PM
Hi, I'm from the Dark Forces mod - nice idea, just a couple of questions...

Have you checked this over LEC? You should at least e-mail them a few times otherwise you'll be shutdown very quickly - JK is still a big selling game and this mod could potentially harm sales - that's all they care about.

In our case, they have no issue with us because no-one buys DF anymore - and it will actually BOOST their sales of JKII, so no harm is being donw - aslong as we don't actually re-use their material directly we should be ok.

I would watch out, or all this you're doing will be for nothing - you don't want LucasArts lawyers knocking on your door...

Lastly, if you have any ideas how to get Maw to fly, it would really help us with the Dark Troopers and Boba Fett :)
 Harukaze
07-01-2002, 1:08 AM
Hey, good to hear from you. I've spoken with your project leader a little while back, discussing the idea of an exchange of resources once we get off the ground.

That's a good idea for contacting LEC, I'll get on that as soon as I'm able. JK doesn't sell that well any longer, really, going at 10 a pop and still sitting on shelves for Lord knows how long. Even so, this project will not be done for at least a year in my opinion, and by then JK sales are sure to deadline. Either way, it will be good to handle that, just in case. I know The Hunted was cancelled, but that's because it could potentially interfere with a new game they premiered at E3. I forgot what it was called; it might have simply been Bounty Hunters, I can't recall. Either way, the basic theme was the same.

As far as flying goes, sadly I think we're using a workaround for Maw, using SurfOff to kill his legs. Come to think of it, I've got to email Madjai and Yokel to ask him a huge favor with his model, so that we can do the opening cutscene properly. Later, I hope, we can figure out what allows the probot to fly, or, for that matter, Kyle himself in the zero-G level just after defeating Fyyar. I'll ask around, and if I find out anything, I'll let you guys know immediately.
 Mirko
07-01-2002, 2:06 AM
Is it possible to Program new AI without the SDK, just Using Icarus??? I Think the flying probedroids have just a special AI that doesn't keep them on the Ground. The Same (or a bigger) Problem than Maw would be the Mynocks (or what these Creatures are) And what about swimming? Is That Possible in JO? I can't remember anything like that in the Game and the small "Ponds" on Yavin 4 are not deep enough to try swimming, but Jedi Knight I had many places where you need to swim.
The Force Powers are another Problem... Perhaps you should try to do something like this Coop mod, where they try to make the Single player missions run in MP, where you can Code almost everything (Weapons, Force Powers, I think people with two Lightsabers would be no Problem (meaning not as bad as in SP). I think a Problem there would be Saving, AI could be a problem too, but i don't know enough about that...

@Grets Sirob:
"yeah, closed doors are a necessity(one thing missing in just about all games like this, maps are too linear...)."

I don't know if you did understand me right. I meant you should try to keep the Same linear way to the End of the Level, but you could add a Door leading to another "road" in the City, that never opens, but makes the City look bigger, because there Seems to be more than there is. (But it should somehow be obvious that the Player doesn't need to go there.)

@Harukaze:
"Later, I hope, we can figure out what allows the probot to fly, or, for that matter, Kyle himself in the zero-G level just after defeating Fyyar."

I Think Kyle starts to "fly" because they switched of Gravity...
Reminds me somehow of the Falling Ship Level... another problem you should think about!
 Harukaze
07-01-2002, 4:36 AM
Yes, it's somewhat obvious the gravity is off, causing Kyle to fly, but the question is how does one accomplish this in-game?

Actually, I was thinking very much of that level when I mentioned Fyyar. They do interesting things with it, but if you're in a freefalling object [such as a ship], you also are freefalling, and thus are not held down to the ship. Once it hits terminal velocity though [which, given its mass, won't happen]. I'm thinking though, on my version of things [same concept, modified levels], I'm going to want to have the ship begin to fall only after the player is nearly on his ship. Or, have it hit, but not explode right away. If it fell at the beginning of the level, and if it exploded on impact, Kyle would have mere seconds to get to his ship. When you've got 9.80665m/s^2 working against you....

Hmm. Perhaps if emergancy repulsors kick in almost immediately [makes sense a ship would have them], enough to slow the descent....

That level will definately be considered in depth before I begin to work with a mapper on it.
 The_One
07-01-2002, 4:39 AM
Yeah, I think you have even more problems than us... But a lot of your problems aren't too bad if you can't sort them out - with us not having a flying Dark Trooper would be a BIG shame...
 reaper1576
07-01-2002, 4:43 AM
have an idea for maw is it possible to cross it with the probe droids
 Harukaze
07-01-2002, 4:44 AM
Well, I think we'd lose a lot without being able to have Boc fence case. Who knows, maybe by the time we get that far, Raven will have released an add-on, like MotS was for JK, which includes doublebladed sabers and the possibility for multiple weapons simulataneous. I would love to see a case saber-fencer and a double-blaster wielding Jango Fett. Then, I would be happy.
 reaper1576
07-01-2002, 4:49 AM
Originally posted by The_One
Yeah, I think you have even more problems than us... But a lot of your problems aren't too bad if you can't sort them out - with us not having a flying Dark Trooper would be a BIG shame... could you do the same sort of think like i mentiond for maw
 reaper1576
07-01-2002, 4:56 AM
Mirko on yavin there was some quite deep parts so it might be posible
 reaper1576
07-01-2002, 4:58 AM
I would like to say a big thanks to Harukaze for getting this sort nice one

:cool:
 reaper1576
07-01-2002, 8:30 PM
Does any one know of and tutorial that can help with scripting from basic i have got much experiance of scripting so please let me know
 Mirko
07-02-2002, 12:05 AM
Yes there were some deep Parts but most of it was just deep enough to get Kyle under the surface. Real Swimming like in JK 1 Seemed almost impossible to me... but i don't realley know.
Yesterday I asked a question at the Wired Lamp Studios (who are doing this coop thing) they are creating a SP TC and they said they would base it on their Coop mod, and they would release the source of it, so you could wait until this is out and than code everything you need, be it Flying enemies or people with two lightsabers.... in the meantime you could just Model, Map and do everything what is possible at the moment.
 Mirko
07-02-2002, 12:07 AM
Yes, it's somewhat obvious the gravity is off, causing Kyle to fly, but the question is how does one accomplish this in-game?

I once read about a Trigger_Gravity (when i tried mapping - but i was bad at it so i stopped).
 CTM_Xtortius
07-02-2002, 1:05 AM
Im interested in helping you build the levels
Ive already made one in fact: the one where you gotta defeat the man with no legs (cant remember its real name;) )
 Lucko Mabri
07-02-2002, 1:12 AM
Maw! :D
 jipe
07-02-2002, 2:06 AM
You can't change weapon functions in singleplayer.

Gee, guess the entire "TC" is ruined. Not that it would have gone far anyways..
 The Truthful Liar
07-02-2002, 2:14 AM
Originally posted by jipe

jipe, that wasn't nesscesary, if you don't have something productive to say then please refrain from posting.

*cough* I still have that oasis map guys... all it needs are some proper textures.. *hint hint* ;)
 Mirko
07-02-2002, 2:37 AM
Originally posted by jipe

Yes thats right. But you can somehow Programm a Single Player TC in the MP section of the Game. Thats what WLS is doing with the Coop Mod they are doing! They are doing a SP TC with this and so you could do too!

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32787&pagenumber=2)
 reaper1576
07-02-2002, 3:04 AM
CTM_Xtortius if your in trested in joining email me with your details and anyother work you have done thanks
 reaper1576
07-02-2002, 3:10 AM
Originally posted by AB_Legion

jipe, that wasn't nesscesary, if you don't have something productive to say then please refrain from posting.

*cough* I still have that oasis map guys... all it needs are some proper textures.. *hint hint* ;)
Cheers mate well ive been looking in to this and contacted raven about the sp source and sdki should know soon the coustem npc is posible if you think about it thats all ill say on the matter but just think about it everyone and read all the word docs that came with both SDK from raven and if you can go over the source code LOL :cool:
 reaper1576
07-02-2002, 3:12 AM
Can every on involved in the project email me so i know whos in the team and what they are working on etc
 reaper1576
07-02-2002, 7:08 AM
heres some early shots from Narshadda
Narshadda 1 (http://hometown.aol.co.uk/antonyfrn/nar1.html)
Narshadda 2 (http://hometown.aol.co.uk/antonyfrn/nar2.html)
narshadda 3 (http://hometown.aol.co.uk/antonyfrn/nar3.html)
ill out more up tomorrow im off to sleep now
 Grets Sirob
07-02-2002, 7:41 AM
Originally posted by Mirko
@Grets Sirob:
"yeah, closed doors are a necessity(one thing missing in just about all games like this, maps are too linear...)."

I don't know if you did understand me right. I meant you should try to keep the Same linear way to the End of the Level, but you could add a Door leading to another "road" in the City, that never opens, but makes the City look bigger, because there Seems to be more than there is. (But it should somehow be obvious that the Player doesn't need to go there.)
Ok, you didn't understand me right(of course that could just be my poor communicational skills...)
I meant that the levels for these games have a straight path.
In other words, what cargo ship has a completely closed off section?
Meaning, you go through this cargo ship, and the only doors there are, have to be opened for you to continue.
And remember that cargo ships are big(or at least this one is...)

See?

:joreth: May the force be with you.
 Harukaze
07-02-2002, 7:50 AM
If your involved, also PM me. Those of you who I know to be interested, I've already messaged you. I'm just trying to get my own record of who's on the team, and so that I can get you up with mail forwarding.

Also, as soon as everyone PMs me, I can send out an update via email, as well as let everyone know about the new forum. I'll also be working with SDarkShadow to get us a webpage in the near future.

And Grets, I understand what you mean, and I hope to handle that on the more liberal missions. We'll see how that goes when we get there, but I'm quite hopeful.
 reaper1576
07-02-2002, 4:43 PM
Ok People ive just heard back from Raven and the singel player source cade is availible and has been for some time your all gonna kick your self when you all find out where it is
 Mirko
07-03-2002, 2:14 AM
Originally posted by Grets Sirob

Ok, you didn't understand me right(of course that could just be my poor communicational skills...)

... or my bad english understanding...
But what i wanted to say is, if you do this TC than you should keep the Maps as they are (perhaps Adding Details and Curves to some parts) but you should not Map a new alternative Path into nar shadaa because its much bigger than the map Shows. (someone suggested this) If you want to do THAT you should think about a new Storyline, because if you change anything like that it would not any longer be jedi Knight, you should do other thing to make the City look greater,l that do not change Gameplay that much. (the "closed Doors" were a bad example, it would just give players a wrong Idea of what they have to do).

But Whatever you do, i hope you finish it... Good luck!
 Harukaze
07-03-2002, 6:27 AM
I disagree. It will be the same story, most assuredly. Things may be done differently, but the story should progress exactly as before. Your viewpoint is more than understood, though, which is why we've said we're putting out multiple versions of the maps.
 reaper1576
07-03-2002, 6:40 AM
The maps will be basicly the same once the basic layout is complete they will be add 2 to improve them in many way so the maps proble will be reviesed severial times to make sure the maps have the right feel to them and that we can build on the base of the maps to create more atmosphear
 Mirko
07-04-2002, 2:25 AM
I disagree. It will be the same story, most assuredly. Things may be done differently, but the story should progress exactly as before. Your viewpoint is more than understood, though, which is why we've said we're putting out multiple versions of the maps.

Ok. thats Fine for me... I Think i Will Play Both, but i surely want the levels to be the same (because the gameplay was good and is still good and i would like to see what the designers could have made, if they have had this engine).
IT might still be, that we mean the same... im really not sure. (I dont want the maps to be "ugly" like the original, but i would like to have the things in the same place, same secrets enemy Placement (might be changed, cause the AI is different), I Think i will see, when there are real Screnneshots. Perhaps you should put some Images for comparing online, when you have some parts ready (Original/New Ones)
Page: 2 of 5