Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Jedi vs Merc server UP NOW!!(Dismemberment too!)

Page: 1 of 5
 Lord Nodata
05-08-2002, 11:52 PM
***IMPORTANT***

Please make sure you have "Allow downloads" set to "ON" in your game setup. We are going to implement the 1.03a saber mod, and in order for you to auto download it, you MUST have this option "ON." To turn it on, open the MP game, goto SETUP then GAME OPTIONS and turn AUTO DOWNLOAD "ON." That's it!

Here is a post that details everything you need to have to connect...so you don't have to wait for the server to download it all to you.CLICK HERE (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=859150#post859150)The) models ofcourse are optional, but the mod will be necessary.

We have a new Grappling hook enabled for the Mercs. Basically, you hold your USE button (not USE ITEM) and the hook flies off. When it connects to something, you are pulled towards it. If you fire it at a person you can pull yourself to that person, however, Jedi will block the hook like any projectile if they are facing you when it hits them. BIG THANKS to ASK for the grappling hook changes to Jedi vs Merc, and to making the grappling hook possible!!!

For those of you that don't know what Jedi vs. Merc is...let me explain. When you join the server it asks you if you want to be Jedi or not. Jedi can use force and get only lightsaber. Mercs can use guns and pick up items, but no lightsaber and no force. Oh, and MP dismemberment is on, so make sure you set your console. Set the console to /cg_dismember 2 and that should do it! So funny to see jedi hacking limbs off Stormies!!

"That's not the way to get aHEAD in life."
"He'll never be the HEAD of the Empire."
"Stormies are very HEAD strong."

Also, just recently I've disabled some force powers that should even out the playing feild. Here's the list of what is DISABLED:

1. Pull (to cut down on the PULL+backstab combo that is UNAVOIDABLE by mercs)

Also, I've just enabled this: g_saberghoul2collision 1
And DISabled this: g_sabertracesaberfirst 0
to find out what this does...go here: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59082)

yep, here's the IP:

209.149.233.136:28050

If I'm in there, I'm playing as "Chaff Da-Lan" so look for me!
wanna play?:cool:
 Borf
05-09-2002, 12:07 AM
w00, good stuff mate :D
 S!TH!NAT0R
05-09-2002, 12:19 AM
SWEET Lord Nadota!;)
.......Would it be possible for you to add the Clone_Trooper and Darth Maul Deluxe skins to yur server?
-Thanx, S!TH~:)
 Father Ruckus
05-09-2002, 1:00 AM
now that was some fun ****, even though my ping was 325 :(

i was LiquidTaco, this game type is a blast.
 Usurper
05-09-2002, 1:03 AM
I just tried it out,...pretty cool!

I was hoping it was team based though, like Jedi can only kill mercs and vice vera. Oh well!
 Ten Tigers
05-09-2002, 2:36 AM
Originally posted by Usurper
I just tried it out,...pretty cool!

I was hoping it was team based though, like Jedi can only kill mercs and vice vera. Oh well!

It was working like that for a while, but then you get a bunch of dicks on line and they have to go mess it up.

I played by the rules for a while, till someone kept pull/heavy slashing me to death. I even warned him to stop. Fourth time I said f uck it, became a blue jedi and started spamming the lightning. Of course I ws the bad guy in all this.

It's a nice theory but the 1.03 patch puts mercs at a SERIOUS disadvantage.

You CANT roll. Your already scarce ammo is reduced in overall shots per round. And 80% of your attacks can be deflected without effort. Another 10% with a simple push, leaving... the emp secondary, and the repeater secondary.

You have no jump, and nothing to compensate for it. And can basicly be push/pulled/gripped/etc... without any counter.

It does work when everyone plays for fun, but like I said, this afternoon ONE person was being a jerk and it sent it 2 to 18 jedi favor. With ONE jedi (me) on the blue team we won by one point the next map. 19-18 Yay blue.

To be done right, this will require an actual MOD. Cause people just cant play nice.
 Lord Nodata
05-09-2002, 11:22 AM
Ten Tigers: I was on there last night, when we went BLUE MERCS vs RED JEDI. My in game name is "Chaff Da-Lan." At any rate, it was fun as hell, and I learned a LOT about the Jedi vs Merc gameplay (which was my whole intention in setting up the server.) At any rate, I learned a VALUABLE lesson as a MERC. What was it?

MERCS MUST STICK TOGETHER!!

That's right. It's virtually impossible for 1 merc to take down 1 Jedi, but if you've got a pal shooting that Jedi in the back, while you shoot him in the face....it all seems to work out. Bottom line is, MERCS need TEAMWORK to win. And THAT'S something I like about the game mode.

GAME ON!
 Zek
05-09-2002, 11:27 AM
Jedi vs Mercs isn't very well thought out because it's not supported by Raven in the first place. Hopefully they'll balance it out more(Mercs start with more guns, lots of ammo, etc) and make it a regular game mode eventually.
 Demangel
05-09-2002, 12:44 PM
I am very glad to see someone went and did it!

Some ways to make it more fair?

limit how many can be on one team or the other... for example, say 4 jedi vs 10 mercs.

Also I am hoping someone likes my idea for a mod, and makes not only Co-Op mods, but also team based mods where each team has X number of bots...

I had come up with a few play types I will list here again.

Game play type 1:

Two teams: Either team can be Jedi, or mercs at will ETC (Mercs should be given something to equal them to Jedi in some way since these should ACT like han solo type characters, you know... heroes and villians, not just mooks)

Each team will have X number of spawns available say 150 (trust me you will want this many.)

Each team will have X number of bots on thier side (all Mercs like Storm troopers for the dark side, and rebels for the light side, will all the weapons available.)

Each team will have a base so to speak, this base CANNOT be penetrated due to some force field, this is where players and team bots spawn...

Just outside this door will be an ammo, and shield recharging station.

The map should be a minimum of middle sized... and as large as possible otherwise.

The bots will stay grouped somewhat, but all be as weak as thier SP counterparts, IE 1-5 e-11 shots to kill them, or one saber slash as well as other force powers we all know and love.

Jedi can use only saber and force, Mercs only use weapons and perhaps a few things to make them even... like boosted shields (starts at 50, normal max is 150, absolute max is 250), a purchasable booster pack for high jumps. things like that.

The bots will as I said stay grouped, but also follow the players in a certain way... hit your use key when talking to the group leader, and for example they will only go as far as you go, if you die they can only retreat or remain in position till help arrives (like your the new commander or something).

In this way people will be encouraged to get to the enemy bases to kind of camp the spawn room, however the spawn room should be easily defended somehow to discourage true spawn camping... perhaps mannable turrets?

When you span you can also only stay in the spawn room itself for about 10-20 seconds... this would discourage someone from camping where they spawned so as to never die.

Duels Should be allowable in this map type as with all others, however allow for multiple duels to happen at once.

Each time you kill an enemy bot you take away one of thier spawns... kill a jedi or Merc player, and you take away TWO spawns. thus the goal will be to lead your bots to good positions, and defend them while at the same time trying to kill as many enemy players and bots as possible.

Sound like fun? Well you can add to this idea if you like.

concept two:

Basically the same idea as the first one, but this time it is a kind of base capture map. There are say 5 bases on the map, like in tribes... Two bases are for the home bases... One for light, one for dark... these bases work like in the other version Except you can enter them at will... when you spawn you spawn in the home base . Bots will spawn and roam around as well, costing spawn points... they will act just like the other bots, Except that each base you take makes them spawn there... moving them works the same as well, just talk to the group leader using "E."

Each base gives you X number of spawn points per minute owned. Or just plain old points to your team score... Each base could have some form of defense, be it purely terrain defense (slits to fire your gun through), or turrets usable by players only. As well as ammo/shield replenishing devices.

to get say 10 points you need to capture the enemies home base... rules could be set up to make it so you might need all the other bases to capture a base, or none to keep it interesting.

thus this would also simulate a LOt of movie action just like the first one... 2-6 players per side, about 20-40 active bots per team at any time.

In this way Jedi and mercs could own bots, ANd eachother... Making the entire experience seem like just out of a movie (in the movies for example, the mooks die easy, but the heroes and villians die hard... thus the players would represent heroes and villians having epic battles with one another, the bots would be the mooks like storm troopers, and rebels who die if you breathe on em wrong.)

there could be a few other possible game types as well more or less in line with the ones already offered, however simply add in mook bots...

i plan on posting this in the mod forum soon, if you like the sound of this idea just say something and I'll do it... I'd make it myself, but I am too busy making a game of my own right now :rolleyes:

But if someone wants to make it, I would be glad to help in whatever way I can, from playtesting it, to textures, to even some minor modeling (don't have time to make whole maps though, but maybe some neat sculptures and what not to place around the map? Just don't know if I can import some 3d format into the editor of JKII or not... heheh)

anyway please respond if you like this idea, I'll be watching :)
 D'akt Sangwar
05-09-2002, 12:46 PM
hmm i might go test this server out
 Lord Nodata
05-09-2002, 3:37 PM
get in here and kill!:atat:
 ©-Kпzцtzлphжl
05-09-2002, 3:54 PM
Hey, could you give out the full IP address. I can't even find the server on gamespy or the all seeing eye... :(
 Lord Nodata
05-09-2002, 4:26 PM
sorry took it down for a moment to set up dismemberment! so it should be up now. If you want to dismember, goto console and type /cg_dismemberment 100 and that should do it. Thanks! cya there!:D
 ©-Kпzцtzлphжl
05-09-2002, 4:27 PM
Oh I See :D :D
Yey! :D coming on!!
 Vanor
05-09-2002, 4:31 PM
A couple questions for you all.

First off, does it work like the Jedi Master game type, where if you pick Jedi, you get all the force powers, or is it based on the players setup?

And how exactly did you set this up? I know it's a cvar, but heh that doesn't really tell me anything. I don't know much about setting up a server.
 Lord Nodata
05-09-2002, 4:53 PM
Originally posted by Vanor
First off, does it work like the Jedi Master game type, where if you pick Jedi, you get all the force powers, or is it based on the players setup?

Nope. Bascially, when you get on the server (or any time you go into the "Player" screen) there's an option there for "Jedi = Yes/no". You set that to whatever you want, and if you pick "Yes" then you get the force points allotted to you (in the case of this server: Jedi Knight).

And how exactly did you set this up? I know it's a cvar, but heh that doesn't really tell me anything. I don't know much about setting up a server.

I'm pretty sure all we did was put it in the server config file. ChangKhan describes how to set it up (in a nutshell) in the sticky about "Patch Details" or whatever up above.
 Vanor
05-09-2002, 5:01 PM
Thanks! :)

I think I'll see about setting up the SFA's server for a jedi vs merc thing. one other question, is it team based or can it be done in a FFA format?
 ©-Kпzцtzлphжl
05-09-2002, 5:23 PM
Hmmm. Just had a great game.
Sadly all the stupid idiots that don't know the rules start attacking their own team
Jedis attack Jedis and Mercs attack Mercs

God that pissed me off:explode:

(my name was [DJC] Priest85 btw)
 DarthFreak
05-09-2002, 6:22 PM
Woohoo i'm coming behind you guys as a jedi :D
 Lord Nodata
05-09-2002, 6:30 PM
one other question, is it team based or can it be done in a FFA format?

It CAN be done in FFA.:)
 D'akt Sangwar
05-09-2002, 7:53 PM
just stopped playing on that server, what can i say, its great
i had about 6 games on it
when it was team ffa it was ebtter
2 hectic as ffa and sum ppl started going crazy and gripping everyone lol
but it was great
one of the best games i ahve ever had
im soo exited i cant go to sleeep
u dont understand how amazing it was :D:D:D:D:D
ill be playing whenever its up if i can

game name = [KoS]D'akt
hope to see u on it :D
 Lord Nodata
05-10-2002, 12:47 AM
Whew TOO FUN!

Raven: I know the mode is unsupported, but just wanted to give you some feed back. There has to be something done to mercs, because they get owned in 1 on 1 vs jedi. If us MERCS stick together, then we can win...so, maybe a subtle change to mercs. Like only mercs can pick up shields (not the shield generator, but body shields). If you think about it, that makes sense as the Jedi in the movies didn't have shields, they relied on sabers to defend, and the force.

Anyway, too much fun!:D :D

:fett: MERCS 4 LIFE YO! :p
 CrimsonFury
05-10-2002, 4:17 AM
Anyone know if there's a way to get bots to be mercs? I set this up on my own PC to practice and every bot was a Jedi. I tried picking the bots that wouldn't usually have sabers (eg imperial officer), and they still choose jedi :(.

I just wanna run around hacking up defenseless bots :)
 striderx2048
05-10-2002, 8:13 AM
load the stormtrooper or lando
they dont use forces
 Lord Nodata
05-10-2002, 11:29 AM
I'm taking requests for server settings. Stuff like max # of players and stuff. I want to know what most people like on the server. Sorry, NO Duel mode. Also dismemberment is ON, so if you get in there make sure you have it set up, or you won't see it.

/cg_dismemberment 100

game on...
 D'akt Sangwar
05-10-2002, 12:12 PM
turn it on turn it on
i need my jedi v merc fix and i need it noooooow
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :(
 D'akt Sangwar
05-10-2002, 12:16 PM
is there a limit to how many ppl can be one 1 team but using the nifo of how many are in the other team
eg: if there are 7 mercs and 5 jedi no more ppl can join jedi
cos just as teams get balanced everyone seems to flock to jedi
personally i dont mind being mercs, i never usually play with guns but its really tense and u feel good when u take down a jedi or manage to escape from one with ure life
this server is goooood
but u need to change the title from noname to sumthing
telling about red team = jedi and stuff
bye bye
-D'akt

ps. TURN IT ON I NEED MY FIX
 Lord Nodata
05-10-2002, 12:19 PM
going up now...

Also RAVEN (if you're reading this): If it's possible to make an option that one team MUST be mercs and the other MUST be Jedi, that would be kewl. OR what would be better would be to have a cvar that would allow you to limit the jedi per team. That way we could have teams made up of both Jedi and Mercs, but the Jedi are more like guardians for the mercs...much like they were in the films.

ps..the server name has been changed to "Jedi vs Merc 1.03"
 D'akt Sangwar
05-10-2002, 12:23 PM
ure my herrrrro nodata :eek: :atat: :band: :confused: :cool: :rolleyes: :D
 Lord Nodata
05-10-2002, 12:31 PM
having mouse trouble...but it WILL be up in a sec...:)

EDIT: It's up now!!:D
 Skidrowpunk
05-10-2002, 2:20 PM
Yeah, it was fun last night. But, unfortuantly, we had a couple of jedi ganging up on us, so, against the rules, i ahd to go jedi to help the mercs. Sorry Nodata :(
 Lord Nodata
05-10-2002, 3:07 PM
No problem...when I'm there I try to enforce the jedi = red, merc = blue...thing. But it rarely gets done when I'm not there. I've emailed Raven with a request for something to fix this...maybe they'll respond...:D
 D'akt Sangwar
05-10-2002, 3:10 PM
i tried i tried
i tried to tell them
waaaaaaaah
 Vanor
05-10-2002, 3:15 PM
Originally posted by Lord Nodata
No problem...when I'm there I try to enforce the jedi = red, merc = blue...thing. But it rarely gets done when I'm not there. I've emailed Raven with a request for something to fix this...maybe they'll respond...:D

I poped onto your server lastnight, and must say it was a blast :)

There was someone there who was Very good at playing the merc, never got near a edge, stayed where the ammo was ect...

One sugestion though for the team setup. Put in the MotD or title or something what team is what.

When I joined up I just took a guess at what side was jedi and what side was merc, luckly I guessed right. But a msg of some sort might help some "Red=Jedi Blue=Merc" for example.
 Lord Nodata
05-10-2002, 3:35 PM

I poped onto your server lastnight, and must say it was a blast :)

There was someone there who was Very good at playing the merc, never got near a edge, stayed where the ammo was ect...

One sugestion though for the team setup. Put in the MotD or title or something what team is what.

When I joined up I just took a guess at what side was jedi and what side was merc, luckly I guessed right. But a msg of some sort might help some "Red=Jedi Blue=Merc" for example.

I actually thought of that too, but I don't know the command for server message of the day...do you?
 Vanor
05-10-2002, 4:11 PM

I actually thought of that too, but I don't know the command for server message of the day...do you?
No, but I'll see if I can't find out :) I supose there might not be one at all... but I'll see if I can find out anything.

edit:

Try this...

seta g_motd "Teams: Red = Jedi, Blue = Merc, please play accordingly"
 San'en
05-10-2002, 9:09 PM
I want to try this out coz this sounds very cool but i didn't get to the game. What's the IP again and where do i enter the IP? Sorry to be so newbish. I guess that the server is always full eh?
 SPY_jmr1
05-10-2002, 9:18 PM
r0x0r mode dude!

was on there the other day... under my SPY_jmr1 name.

was a jedi... remember the bitching about the maps? ugg....

was very fun though:D
 Lord Nodata
05-12-2002, 8:35 PM
still up all weekend...cya there!:D
 Smood
05-12-2002, 9:10 PM
Is there a way to modify the server configuration so the blue players (mercenaries) have no choice of saber or force at all?

Oh and I think you should get the vader model on there... it would be nice. AND WAIT FOR THE BOBA AND JANGO models!! The mercs will look insane in those suits. Imagine a jetpack mod aswell that allows you to fly in the jango suit!! *OH GOD*
 digl
05-12-2002, 10:44 PM
I just played there, it was pretty fun, but you can see why it's not supported, it's pretty unbalanced and has some flaws.

When I started playing, someone asked why there was a blue guy with a saber, and I showed him that you could be blue and be a jedi. When I showed him this the rest of the players went mad agasint me and tried to kick me. I don't know if the people that was at that moment in the server couldn't read what I was typing, or they were plain stupid.

Anyway, after that it was pretty fun, of course there were some very annoying whiners, but it was a good game. (And considering my ping of 500 I did pretty good :cool: ;))
I hope Raven works more on this mode and support it in the next patch.
 Ferox
05-13-2002, 12:45 AM
just played it myself... there definitly needs to be a way to make it so that mercs dont become jedi.

the game i played in half the mercs ran around with force powers and sabers/weapons. i actually had an easier time because all ive ever fought was saber people. this one guy named mr roper who stayed true to his side and was guns only did a number on me many times and we went back and forth the whole time. hats off to him.
 Vanor
05-13-2002, 12:45 PM
Lord Nodata,

Did ya try what I found, and did it work?
 Lord Nodata
05-13-2002, 2:16 PM
Yes...yes I did. And Yes...yes it did. Thanks!:D
 Vanor
05-13-2002, 2:38 PM
Cool :)

I know next to nothing about setting up a deciated server, but I did remember seeing that. I didn't test it, so I wasn't sure if it would work or not :)

I'm glad it did.
 ©-Kпzцtzлphжl
05-13-2002, 2:50 PM
Is the server patched with 1.03?
I wanna go play a few games after doing my coursework :D
 Lord Nodata
05-13-2002, 2:52 PM
it's patched, yes.:)
 ©-Kпzцtzлphжl
05-13-2002, 3:09 PM
it's patched, yes.:)
Thanks for the quick reply mate :D :)
 Lord Nodata
05-17-2002, 5:41 PM
It's up again...now.:D
 ChangKhan[RAVEN]
05-17-2002, 8:01 PM
I have a couple ideas for this game mode, so once we release the MP source code (which shouldn't be too much longer from now), I plan on possibly making a mod that makes team-based jediVmerc games have stricter rules and be a bit more balanced and fun...
Page: 1 of 5