Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Jedi vs Merc server UP NOW!!(Dismemberment too!)

Page: 2 of 5
 digl
05-17-2002, 8:05 PM
Great news!, that mode will be great with a little more balance.

Thanks Changkhan :D
 Lord Nodata
05-20-2002, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by ChangKhan[RAVEN]
I have a couple ideas for this game mode, so once we release the MP source code (which shouldn't be too much longer from now), I plan on possibly making a mod that makes team-based jediVmerc games have stricter rules and be a bit more balanced and fun...

Awesome! Can't wait for that source!

P.S.-And if you don't code the jedi limit on teams, we will! ;)
 SilentDark
05-20-2002, 10:03 PM
How do I connect? I tried adding the server to favorites, I tried typing connect 198.49.215.90 in console, and I tried entering the IP into gamespy. I can't get on the server. How???
 SilentDark
05-21-2002, 6:25 PM
bump
 Lord Nodata
05-22-2002, 12:58 PM
the server is up and down (depending on the schedule) so if you can't connect...simply it's NOT up. Also I'm editing my original post in this thread to let everyone know that the Vader and Boba Fett models WILL be allowed on the server!
 normal
05-22-2002, 1:07 PM
To enforce teams, why not find (or program yourself), an adminbot which will have access to rcon so it can kick users that are on the wrong teams, ect?
 Lord Nodata
05-22-2002, 1:33 PM
Originally posted by normal
To enforce teams, why not find (or program yourself), an adminbot which will have access to rcon so it can kick users that are on the wrong teams, ect?

to do that, there would have to be a cvar or something that would keep track of who is a jedi and who isn't...and I don't THINK there is one atm...
 normal
05-22-2002, 1:38 PM
Originally posted by Lord Nodata

to do that, there would have to be a cvar or something that would keep track of who is a jedi and who isn't...and I don't THINK there is one atm...

Damn! Well, this inspired me to port WAB to JK2 (http://www.baz.com/quark/software/wab/)

I'll see what I can do with it :)
 normal
05-22-2002, 1:46 PM
Hrm, well, WAB can detect weapon usage (I think), if that's true, then it should be able to determine who is using a weapon and who is using a saber.
 Lord Nodata
05-22-2002, 2:06 PM
NICE FREAKIN WORK! Tell me if you get it working!:eek:

So can you set it to say: Nobody on Blue should be using a saber, and nobody on Red should be using a weapon?

Also: See if you can set it so that it will only allow a certain number of Jedi PER TEAM. So maybe we could set the teams so that each TEAM has like 2 jedi, and the rest mercs.
 Sithcloak
05-22-2002, 4:15 PM
The idea of Jedi vs. Merc is awsome the only prob is that no-one wants to be merc!
I was the only merc, and it was fun to go one on one with jedi the only prob was I had no mercenarys to team up with or learn from so I looked like an idiot to all the jedi running around.

The problem is the Jedi are ready from the time they start, the mercenary on the other hand has nothing except a bryar and his stun batton. They should give him at least the ST rifle if not more, its awsome when you can decide 'which gun should I use to destroy this jedi?' just like the jedi can in reverse with their force powers.

They should rename it to Jedi vs. Bounty Hunter and add a few more weapons and a jetpack or something, I'm thinking about creating a mod for this.

Balance is key for this to work.

Sithcloak
 Lord Nodata
05-22-2002, 5:32 PM
Originally posted by Sithcloak
I'm thinking about creating a mod for this.

Balance is key for this to work.

Sithcloak

Way ahead of you...
 Sithcloak
05-22-2002, 5:36 PM
Your creating a mod?

EDIT: Sorry didn't see the other posts, please forgive me for my 'newbieness' on the subject

Sithcloak
 normal
05-22-2002, 5:38 PM
Hmm, from what i've read, someone has already begun a 'WAB' to 'JAB' conversion, i'm going to look into that, as well as continue my own project.
 Lord Nodata
05-24-2002, 2:41 PM
keeping this thread alive...the server is up now...

any new developments on JAB?
 Lord Nodata
05-28-2002, 2:02 PM
added details about Force power disabling to my original post...
 Lord Nodata
05-31-2002, 6:46 PM
Up all weekend! Cya there!:D
 Sithcloak
05-31-2002, 8:07 PM
I'll be there as soon as I can, if I can.

Sithcloak
 Lord Nodata
06-03-2002, 1:04 AM
Still up...where are you lazy turds?:D
 raziel_spawn69
06-07-2002, 9:16 PM
hey... great ideas guys!..... i have some comments

jetpacks MUST be in the mod..... they should NOT have limited fuel but instead they will fire for say 6 seconds then you need to land and wait till fuel is FULL ( not just a little or else the old bunnie tactic will occur ) take a look at the game "giants" to get an idea if you need...

i think the 2-1 ratio of jedi's to mercs is good...

the guy who thought up the base idea is almost dead on what i was thinking ( great minds think alike yet idiots seldom differ ) in that there should be
$h|tloads of bots to simulate the movies..... maybe .2 bots per jedi and .5 bots per merc

is there a possibility of vehicle coding? imagine the scene in ep2 where the yoda patrol shows up and saves the day? imagine that in the game.... yoda + 8 rebels show up in the yoda patrol plane and yoda sticks the bricks on his foot and drives away shooting ( bricks make up for pint-sizedness ) while the rebels go out and act as meat-shields for the jedi's?
 defalc
06-08-2002, 12:10 AM
How do i connect using the ip? And what's the server name?
 raziel_spawn69
06-08-2002, 10:49 PM
lets get a homepage for this mod up
 Lord Nodata
06-09-2002, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by defalc
How do i connect using the ip? And what's the server name?

to connect using the IP, just bring down the console (SHIFT+~) and type this:

connect 198.49.215.90

That will connect you if there is a free slot open. And as far as a homepage for the mod we are working on (the ERU's Team). It will be up shortly...patience...:D
 Sithcloak
06-10-2002, 2:06 PM
I haven't been able to find your server. What is it called again?

Edit: Sorry just saw the above post.

Sithcloak
 Lord Nodata
06-10-2002, 2:09 PM
it should still be up. Go into the console and type this:

connect 198.49.215.90

and that should connect you to it...
 blah2k
06-10-2002, 4:54 PM
Do you have a server script so we can create our own mercs vs jedi server? My friends play lan often and would like to try it.
 Sithcloak
06-10-2002, 4:57 PM
You know your servers great but no one plays on it, you need to do something to catch more attention like a tournament or something.

Sithcloak
 Lord Nodata
06-10-2002, 5:13 PM
Nobody plays on it? you need to get in there around 6pm or 7pm CST...it's ALWAYS full:D

server script: yeah i can give it to you. Email me
nodata@planetavp.com
 edinflames
06-10-2002, 6:43 PM
thats a lurverly server mate and i agree a tourney or sumthing wud get loadsa attention for ya.

:ben:VS:fett: WOOOOOOOOO
 Bluezman
06-11-2002, 6:35 AM
I went to the server yesterday and it was fun.

However, I want to ask for some tactics here. It is probably just me, I never played on servers with guns, so I did suck badly... :D

I feel ashamed to say that, but the mercs owned me! :o

First I tried to rely on my experience from single player, only to find out, that blue stance does NOT block 100% of blaster fire. (Duh!)

Also, mercs don't go flying all over the place when using force push just like the stormies did :D

Since I played Jedi (light side) I couldn't use grip and was stuck with push (pull being disabled) as the only "offensive" force power.

However I found myself completely helpless with my saber, (probably also due to lag: ping around 200) I wasn't able to hit the guys with the saber. Saber throw resulted in me getting hit badly.

Next thing I had some fun with push and mindtrick. Using mindtrick to sneak up on the merc and push him off the ledge in Nar Shadaa. I can tell you it was a lot of fun, although it may seem sort of lame (I would never do this in a saber only game) but since the mercs were ruling the server I thought, ah what the heck :D :D .

Can anyone give me some advice how to go against gunners? Note: Pull was disabled so don't tell me about "pull the weapon from him and then kill him".
 edinflames
06-11-2002, 1:00 PM
im setting up a server wid a few mates using jedi vs merc but whats code to enable jedi vs merc?
 Lord Nodata
06-11-2002, 4:33 PM
Originally posted by edinflames
im setting up a server wid a few mates using jedi vs merc but whats code to enable jedi vs merc?

im pretty sure its:

g_jediVmerc 1
 cYbErDuD
06-12-2002, 12:57 AM
I just swinged by the server, great stuff dude! never had so much fun.

the funniest thing was when we were shooting a sith and he took a jedi and used him as a human shield and kicked all our asses.

or once, I was getting choked by a sith and 2 of my buds came and shot him in the back, and saved my ass.

heck, being a merc is fun!

the coolest moment was when we were 5 mercs and we founded a base, then we "ganked" every jedi that came in

good job dude! great server, its in my favorite list now!

some suggestion. add this to your list of server broadcast message(like that "Dark powers SITH only, light powers jedi only" messages that appear at regular intervals):
"All Mercs, use trooper skins with NO TEAM COLOR: like storm,swamp troopers, boba or jango fett, all the weapon using skins in the game"
"All Jedi, use skins with BLUE team color: every skin that uses a saber in the sp game"
"all siths use skins with RED team color: every skin that uses a saber in the sp game"

try to shorten em a bit, but it would inform people a lot and stop the confusion :)

good job again!
 ChangKhan[RAVEN]
06-13-2002, 3:03 AM
The source code we released forces Jedi and Mercs to be on different teams if it's a team game. Also, Mercs start with more weapons. If someone simply compiled the MP cgame and game vm's and made it a mod, the Jedi vs. Merc mode would work better (though still unsupported!)
 QuietSith
06-13-2002, 5:04 AM
The source code we released forces Jedi and Mercs to be on different teams if it's a team game. Also, Mercs start with more weapons. If someone simply compiled the MP cgame and game vm's and made it a mod, the Jedi vs. Merc mode would work better (though still unsupported!)

When's the next patch? ;)
 TheSithLord
06-13-2002, 9:41 AM
on that site u gave for the darth maul mod, whats the user/pass/domain for the download?
 Lord Nodata
06-13-2002, 1:56 PM

That's EXACTLY what we did on our server. However, we're not running the game on Team mode, since we really like dividing the teams into 3 parts. Jedi vs Sith vs Merc. But THANK YOU for implementing that suggestion! I noticed the Mercs starting with more weapons thing...AWESOME WORK! We're messing with coding a few more changes into the mode, and as always, it's available on our server...just set "allow downloads" to ON.

Hope I can see you there Khan!

Sith Lord: As far as the user/pass stuff for that site...I dunno, it was a personal site of someone else's. Maybe they got too many hits...:(
 Bluezman
06-13-2002, 2:36 PM
That's EXACTLY what we did on our server. However, we're not running the game on Team mode, since we really like dividing the teams into 3 parts. Jedi vs Sith vs Merc.Is it just me or is anyone going either Sith or Merc anyway? Mostly it seems to be like 40% Merc, 55% Sith, 5 % Jedi. Hardly any Jedi there, I don't really see the point in distinguishing between those two.

I'd probably like Jedi vs Merc OR Sith vs Merc OR Saber guys vs Mercs better and then having it better supported by making it Team FFA. Although there are server messages that tell people the rules, you still find Sith with green sabers, mercs killing mercs and so forth.

Also it seems that Mercs always win because they rack up lots of kills by accidentally killing their teammates with all that secondary flechette fire. (I know, it is not about the number of kills but just about having fun, but still...)

Well, just my $ 0.02...
 Lord Nodata
06-13-2002, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by Bluezman
Is it just me or is anyone going either Sith or Merc anyway? Mostly it seems to be like 40% Merc, 55% Sith, 5 % Jedi. Hardly any Jedi there, I don't really see the point in distinguishing between those two.

I'd probably like Jedi vs Merc OR Sith vs Merc OR Saber guys vs Mercs better and then having it better supported by making it Team FFA. Although there are server messages that tell people the rules, you still find Sith with green sabers, mercs killing mercs and so forth.

Also it seems that Mercs always win because they rack up lots of kills by accidentally killing their teammates with all that secondary flechette fire. (I know, it is not about the number of kills but just about having fun, but still...)

Well, just my $ 0.02...

You know what? ALL GOOD AND VALID POINTS.
 Gryphcon
06-16-2002, 11:20 PM
I'd just like to say that that is one awesome server.

Also, could you include some new custom models. I like the Mandalorian one, but could you have the Darth Vader model (for sith), Lady Brena model (I guess for anyone really), and the Aurra Sing model (for merc). All these are great models.
 Lord Nodata
06-17-2002, 2:38 AM
We have the Darth Vader model...I'll look into the other ones though...
 Tyrion
06-17-2002, 3:05 AM
Can you also try to add the Tyrion model from asbath and bloodriot?'cause it rocks and,best of all, it has the same name as mine:)

BTW I have been on your server as Tyrion-aor.
 Gryphcon
06-17-2002, 10:07 AM
You already have the Darth Vader model? That's strange, because it doesn't show up for me. I don't it's selectable for anyone else either, since I haven't seen anyone using it.

Also the Darth Maul model that was just released would be good too.
 Tyrion
06-17-2002, 10:09 AM
maybe you're using the wrong vader model?I think there are a few different ones.
 Lord Nodata
06-17-2002, 11:24 AM
The Vader model i have is called:

VADER_MP_MODEL.pk3
Found here:http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/info/jk2/vader/vader.shtml)
See if yours is the same.
 Lord Nodata
06-18-2002, 12:33 AM
bump to show grappling hook mod!!!:D
 defalc
06-18-2002, 8:38 AM
Hey, can you add support for the Tyrion Model (absath and bloodriot), and ChesireKat's new Darth Maul? Cause the Darth Maul enable on the server is nice, but I prefere ChesireKats. :D
 Tyrion
06-18-2002, 9:04 AM
That's 2 for the Tyrion model, and someone who plays on your server called Dark Trooper also wanted it on the server.
 defalc
06-18-2002, 9:12 AM
Tyrion rocks.
PPPPLLLLLEEEEEAAAASSEEEE, support for ChesireKat's Maul model, it is so l33t!
 Lord Nodata
06-18-2002, 9:16 AM
Ok I'll put both Tyrion and the other Darth Maul in tomorrow. :D
Page: 2 of 5