Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

The One Year Thread 2014: Main Street Electrical Parade Through The Dark Side

Page: 1 of 5
 edlib
01-01-2014, 7:40 AM
Whelp... Here it is, finally: 2014.

*looks around*

Doesn't really look any different or seem any better than the year we just left so far.

Dunno... Meh... They can keep it. Think I'll go back to bed.

Wake me back up when we all get Landspeeders. Or 2015. Whichever comes first.

Anyway... no plans for today. Play some GT6... Nap... And otherwise just try to chill out, for tomorrow it's back to the daily grind in the old salt mines again.

Unless the craptastic weather we are supposed to see over the next few days somehow causes work to be postponed in some way... Though I doubt I could get so lucky.

Anyhow: Welcome to the 2014 thread of hopes, dreams, and agony, gents! Hope it's a good'un for all.

Post lots. :thmbup1:

:joy:
 Keyan Farlander
01-01-2014, 10:49 AM
I'm tempted to be optimistic about this year, but I know that will only lead to disappointment, so I'll just assume it will suck hard, and then anything slightly good that happens will seem like a pleasant surprise.
 edlib
01-01-2014, 11:02 AM
That was the basic overall gist of my Facebook status of a day or two ago:

"My resolution for the New Year is to be a much worse human being in every possible way.

That way, when I inevitably break it, it will still be a net positive, even if all I end up doing is maintain my current status quo.

However: If I somehow manage to actually keep this one, even if unintentionally... well, I can insist that was the plan all along.

Win/win."
 K_Kinnison
01-01-2014, 5:48 PM
On New Years eve, we invited a couple over to relax, eat snacks, drink, and play some games. Started with a couple of games of Red Dragon Inn (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/24310/the-red-dragon-inn) a great fantasy themed humor game. Then a hilarious game of Snorta (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/11231/snorta)!) a blurting memory game. Followed by a game of Guillotine (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/116/guillotine). Our friends decided to leave early due to exhaustion.

Ended up watching the ball drop on TV with my wife, and the following local fireworks show on one of the bluffs.

Then this morning, Made coffee and pancakes for my wife while she enjoyed the Rose Bowl Parade. Had an incredible float that "Launched" some martian saucers and then reloaded them back.

Watched the Badgers lose in the capital one bowl

Oh well, another year starts much as the same as the last one

I don't really do any resolutions. But I do want to brew my own beer this year, and also get under 220 pounds. Going to buy an exercise bike soon
 Wildstar
01-01-2014, 6:18 PM
Big event to look forward to in the new year here: My 30th class reunion

Year started well, b/c the marathon tournament I was helping run was a success. I left some money out there, however: The bowlers were asking about brackets, and I didn't know about it until it was too late, or I was in a position to run them and make some extra cash aside from what the tournament directors were paying me (I do have bracket software on my laptop that I installed for possible use in the big Monday night league.).
 Keyan Farlander
01-01-2014, 6:36 PM
2014 resolution? More drinking and gambling, I guess.
 Rogue15
01-01-2014, 8:09 PM
heh my resolution??

Get my career diploma from penn foster
Get associates degree in criminal justice from lackawanna college
Pass my next Army Physical Fitness Test
Get a decent girlfriend (is that possible at my age?)
Lose 60 pounds ( i currently 5'9" and weigh 210 i want to get down to 150)
Be a better person to my parents and sister and nephews
Go kayaking
Go Mt Biking
Run a couple 5ks
Paintball

yeah this year is going to be good even if i end up single for 14th of February...ie. Singles Awareness Day...
 Cmdr. Cracken
01-01-2014, 11:06 PM
NYE was quiet. Watched the ball drop with the gf and fell asleep.

Work today was relatively ok. Not too much going on. Hope tomorrow is quiet to so I can kind of skate into the weekend.

2014... years that are even numbers generally are better for me anyway.
 Rogue15
01-02-2014, 1:15 AM
just started playing the telltale game of the walking dead on xbox, it's pretty fun so far. :)

my puppy is doing pretty good, he had a fun day yesterday with my nephews and playing out in the yard at my parents' today. new year's eve wasn't too bad, i failed to watch the ball drop because they had miley clitoris on there...i was in transit from one spot to another when it turned midnight anyway lol. got to hang out with 3 of my buddies.

trying to plan out what i want to do for my 30th birthday....think i'll find something new and exciting to do besides the usual 'get drunk' ****. i'm over the bar scene...spent last week there and there's just too many stuck up people and it's impossible to talk or get to know anybody at the bars around here besides the bartenders. thinking of just having my friends go bowling, movies, and to the gym with me instead of to the bar, sure it sounds kind of gay (not knocking on u wildstar) but it's a hell of alot cheaper and much less risk than going to the bar. hell i might even start up a game night here if i can find a cheap flatscreen tv we can all chill out in the living room. my one roommate usually has parties here on saturdays, but it's d&d and disney karaoke stuff...lol nothing wrong with that i guess.

it's an exciting start to the year i guess...got a decent match on that pof.com site, she seems interested and pretty decent, i just hope she doesn't vanish into thin air on me without meeting me personally like a few of them from that site have.
 Keyan Farlander
01-02-2014, 10:00 AM
xwingalliance.net still isn't working. We can't let it die!
 edlib
01-02-2014, 10:32 AM
It's seems the administration is letting the old sites wither on the vine in favor a brand new site they're working on. It's possible that these forums will eventually disappear as well, though that seems a bit up-in-the-air at the moment...

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=213159)
 Keyan Farlander
01-02-2014, 12:22 PM
Noooooooooooo...
 Rogue15
01-02-2014, 12:57 PM
post count gonna be decimated. **** what am i gonna do with my life now!!!!!!!

that chick i was talking to on pof, up and vanished. lol probably found someone closer to where she lives, or was just not impressed with my lack of a college degree and a steady good paying career...girls never give me a chance even for a cup of coffee, a 5 minute date i would even take. whatever. pretty sad. but i guess it's for the better, the girl i'm looking for isn't gonna be tied down to a career or want expensive bull****. heh i think i got a sense of freedom by watching that movie 'into the wild'...
 Keyan Farlander
01-02-2014, 2:49 PM
I did decide to pick up a Prophet '08 synthesizer after all. It's pretty cool. It's the first polyphonic analog synthesizer I've owned, and there are a lot of things to get familiar with. At first I wasn't that impressed with the sound, but that seems down to the presets being kind of crap. Once I started figuring out how to program it, I got some great sounds out of it. It actually sounds more like an Oberheim OB-Xa or OB-8 than a Prophet 5 to my ears, which is good, because those Oberheim synths are some of my favorite keyboards of all time.
 Rogue15
01-02-2014, 7:54 PM
back on the cod kick...playing black ops II with buddies from basic training...lmao kinda funny playing a game when we live the ****in ****.
 edlib
01-02-2014, 8:34 PM
I saw your invite to play... but I don't have Black Ops.

Thanks to Snowmaggedon 2014, I'm home from work today... And tomorrow. My winter vacation just got extended. We are predicted to have a foot-and-a-half to two feet here by morning. Oh goody. :dozey:

Now all I have to do is wake up early tomorrow and spend several hours digging out in the morning. Fun fun. :rolleyes:
 Rogue15
01-02-2014, 9:32 PM
yeah we're getting snow here, it stopped for the moment. about 3 inches. lol...remembering new york when we'd get that about 3" of snow a day for all of winter, it adds up!
 K_Kinnison
01-03-2014, 1:32 AM
No snow here, we are just getting cold. Our expected lows on Monday are going to be slightly warmer then found by the Rover Curiosity on Mars

and the heater fan on my car went out :(
 Rogue15
01-03-2014, 10:56 AM
we only got 5".....that ain't **** but 90% of people don't know how to drive in it...
 Keyan Farlander
01-03-2014, 11:04 AM
We got some snow here. Enough to use as an excuse for not going into work. And I'm feeling badly enough that I'll take that happily.
 Rogue15
01-03-2014, 11:12 AM
star wars the old republic...so many things to do!!! agh. gonna go see Anchorman 2 tonight with a friend. :)
 K_Kinnison
01-03-2014, 11:46 AM
I do not find Will Farrell funny. Nor Ben Stiller. But i guess that is what most people consider to be funny these days

dang whipper snappers getting on mah lawn
 edlib
01-03-2014, 12:33 PM
We got a pile... but it's been sculpted by the wind so that some spots are completely bare, yet a couple inches away it's armpit deep.

Didn't take too long to dig out this morning though. Could have been far, far worse.
 Rogue15
01-03-2014, 1:31 PM
yeah im gonna go out there in a few, get my car cleared off and go get a sub at sheetz. play more SWTOR since i'm getting back into the groove of playing it. there are so many planets and areas to explore!
 Rogue15
01-04-2014, 1:21 AM
anchorman 2 was ****ing hilarious...way beyond my expectation, let me say hangover 2 sucked as a sequel so i was expecting it along the lines of that, but no, it was funny as ****!!!! still laughing about the lines in that movie..
 Keyan Farlander
01-04-2014, 2:14 PM
Will Ferrell has done some funny stuff and some not funny stuff. I never found Anchorman funny, personally.
 Rogue15
01-04-2014, 2:41 PM
the first one wasn't funny to me neither, 2nd one was way better. more along the lines of step brothers funny.

finished a module in my online private investigation career diploma course...now i feel like i accomplished something today!
 Cmdr. Cracken
01-04-2014, 9:01 PM
The AFC Wild Card game today damn near gave me a heart attack.

Go Colts!
 Keyan Farlander
01-04-2014, 10:55 PM
I just played through Doom II on Ultra Violence to belatedly celebrate its 20th anniversary. I even managed to find most of the secrets myself. Still the best FPS ever.
 Rogue15
01-05-2014, 3:54 AM
eagles lost. :( meh football whatever.

lol

how do i talk my friend down about committing suicide?
 Rogue15
01-05-2014, 11:09 AM
my ex is in the hospital for treatment...her parents want me to go visit her in the hospital and encourage her to stay on the meds when she gets discharged...augh. i'll do it as a favor to them... :( sucks that she'll be there on her birthday but she neeeeeeeeds to be on treatment/medicine. fml why do i have to have emotions.
 Law Snoll
01-05-2014, 11:43 AM
-35C outside. Nice, General Frost in charge...
 Rogue15
01-05-2014, 2:28 PM
that's too cold. what part of russia is that?
 Law Snoll
01-05-2014, 2:47 PM
Rogue15, it's Western Siberia (WS), 300 km south-east from Novosibirsk. And it's actually absolutely normal winter weather here, i like it. Unfortunately such of cold became more and more rare here. Siberia warms rapidly.
 Rogue15
01-05-2014, 3:36 PM
sounds like an interesting place, would like to visit it one day. I loved my deployment to Kuwait, felt like being on Tatooine! :p
 Law Snoll
01-05-2014, 5:15 PM
Then Siberian nature will look like Endor for you. :)

For example, small river Ushaika at mid summer, just around 10 kilometers from my place:
http://file.mobilmusic.ru/50/1b/1e/573824.jpg)
 Rogue15
01-05-2014, 5:53 PM
that's beautiful
 edlib
01-05-2014, 6:42 PM
Nice place to visit... when the temps are above freezing! :p

It's too cold here as it is... and it's a hell of a lot warmer than that. Almost tropical, in fact.
 Rogue15
01-05-2014, 8:28 PM
just go there in an astronaut suit, you'd be fine! :P or as in his case, a cosmonaut! XD
 Keyan Farlander
01-06-2014, 9:52 AM
Man, I hope I can shake this cold or whatever this is soon. I do NOT feel well.
 Rogue15
01-06-2014, 3:36 PM
i love the weather in PA one day it's -2 degrees the next it's 53 degrees. what is that?
 edlib
01-06-2014, 5:01 PM
It was close to 60 here today and raining, with all that snow melting all at once... going down below freezing tonight.

Can we all say "black ice"? Should be fun walking and driving around for the next few days! Whee!
 Rogue15
01-07-2014, 12:24 AM
Merry Christmas, Law Snoll!
 Law Snoll
01-07-2014, 2:35 PM
Keyan Farlander
Man, I hope I can shake this cold or whatever this is soon. I do NOT feel well.
By the way, i heard that there's weather anomaly in some places of the United States, some people even died because of this, while costs of electricity, oil and gas increased rapidly. If you are in zone of risk, then you need to start prepare yourself to it. Keyan, if you are interested, i can tell you about some tricks that Siberians use for heating at winter (such of every year cold makes us damn experts in heat preservation, lol), not spending a lot of energy.

Rogue15
Merry Christmas, Law Snoll!
Oh, thank you! :)
 Rogue15
01-07-2014, 3:38 PM
YEAH IT'S COLD OUT. my car went out of antifreeze...almost got frost bite filling it up. :(
 K_Kinnison
01-07-2014, 4:14 PM
drinking booze helps dealing with cold weather. Well, not really, but it makes it more bearable
 Rogue15
01-07-2014, 4:16 PM
that it does!!! *proceeds to mix a drink*
 Rogue15
01-07-2014, 5:33 PM
going to the behavior health unit part of a hospital to visit my ex and encourage her to stay on the meds once she gets discharged...kind of a favor to her parents. plus it must suck there.
 Law Snoll
01-07-2014, 5:53 PM
K_Kinnison
drinking booze helps dealing with cold weather.
Just an especially perverted way to commit suicide. Alcohol takes illusion of heat for short time, but retribution for drinking booze on frost will be fast and terrible. You can drink 50 grams of vodka when you return to warm house (with +25C, for example) temperature from street where it is -40C, but even in this situation there's lot of another methods to make your blood more liquid. But drinking alcohol on frost... well, try once and you will never want it again, if survive, of cause.

P.S. Pfff... alcohol is crap that makes your mind dirty. Keep your mind clean. Always.
 Rogue15
01-07-2014, 8:44 PM
i was taught, it is better to drink water. if you're out in the cold for long you will get frost bit or suffer a cold weather injury if you're buzzed or drunk you don't really feel the temperature, plus alcohol will dehydrate you. i drink too much, but quitting on the excessive use of it because i'm training to get a good score on my pt test as well as wanting to lose body fat and do better in school...plus turning 30 in 2 weeks...i'd like to quit drinking alcohol altogether and focus on other things like physical fitness..

visited my ex in the hospital, brought her a word search book a get well card and a times magazine. she seemed to be doing good, i encouraged her to stay as long as they let her so she gets on the right dosage, and encouraged her to stay on it once she gets discharged. idk where im gonna go with this, odds are i'll end up back with her. idk maybe i should seek therapy once my Tricare gets set up...idk i havent told my parents any of this, i think i'll tell my mom and see what she thinks or at least have some respect to them so they know what's up with me and if i do end up back with her they won't be all crazy at me. just gonna take this one day at a time...
Page: 1 of 5