Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

TSL - Revan Flowing Cape <--With Video!

Page: 1 of 1
 HouseOfAmon
01-09-2007, 9:57 AM
Updates...
=======

This is a small update, manually editing the ascii's with notepad seems to be the way to go...

I went into my archive, and dug up the file from the video(See below), and decided to try some manual editing on it, well, the first try didn't yield perfection(one can hope) it did however show great improvement....

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e323/SmokeESF/RevansCapeTake2.jpg)
(Compare it to the model in the video: Its the same model, with some manual editing... Note the cape sizes, and shapes..)

I believe if I tinker with the weights via the ascii file some more, I might be able to fix him totally, which would be a lot easier than what I had planned, of course, its still by no means an easy task, the model has close to 3,000 verts, if not more, and weighting them manually is far from ideal..

(Edit, it seems to work, and since the only new edition is the robe bones, fixing them should fix the whole model, all the bones are attached, and the skins to that, so if you add weight to the cape, it pulls on everything else thats attached, so if I am lucky re-weighting the cape is all I need to do... Besides, that cuts the "vert I have to edit" count down to 110.. ;))

I will let you know how its going soon..

Peace....

Archived:
====================================

Revan: Animated Cape video..
http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e323/SmokeESF/?action=view&current=Revan-AnimatedCape.flv?t=1169380752)
 FunSolo
01-10-2007, 1:01 AM
nice work. wonder how it looks while moving the pc?
 Darth InSidious
01-10-2007, 4:40 AM
Good work!
:)

...Although I note that the rest of Revan seems to lack animations at the moment...?
 РeceptiKain
01-10-2007, 9:22 AM
He posted a thread about that problem, I think.

Anyway, could it be implemented in K1 aswell?

Heh, fighting Malak with cape flowing would be great.
 HouseOfAmon
01-10-2007, 10:58 AM
Well, I wouldn't get too excited yet, only really posted to see if someone could help with my problems, but I fixed most of them myself(animations fixed), plus I figured a few others might get a kick out of seeing that cape moving.. :)

(On another note, I added all the missing helpers to the Revan model as well)

I will make updates, if there is any progess...

Peace..

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Update#1- Well, I got it to stay attached to the body as he moves, but now i have to get the weighting figured out, as he deforms a little bit, and if you have ever done model weighting, then you know its a pain in the @$$...

Problems- When he moves, you can't have a skinmesh, and flexmesh on the same object, so it doesn't bend properly because there is no bone structure, so I don't know how this is going to work, perhaps linking the cape to a few bones might work, but then you get into more weighting issues..

I really think an animation is the only way to get a 100% working Revan, but I should be able to get it at least moving, until we have the ability to import new animations.. I hope.. :)
 Mr. Orange
01-10-2007, 1:24 PM
I really think an animation is the only way to get a 100% working Revan, but I should be able to get it at least moving, until we have the ability to import new animations.. I hope.. :)

It has been done: http://www.team-gizka.org/2006-11-01.html)

This is rather huge. We apologize to those of you who may think this rather boring. But it is not. These are in-game shots of savvy30039's custom lean animation.

As far as we are aware this is the first time anyone has gotten custom animations working in either K1 or K2. The process basically involves replacing an existing animation (or using an unused animation slot).

http://team-gizka.org/thumb.php?img=attonlean.jpg)

http://team-gizka.org/picture.php?img=heybaby.jpg)

-Orange
 HouseOfAmon
01-10-2007, 1:54 PM
Well, maybe, but Stoffe did this as well, with the backflip animation, and I think Avol did it with his Darth Vader mod by hex editing the supermodel, so its nothing new that I know of, plus I haven't seen any working Revans yet..

So until then, I will keep doing what I am doing, and I am sure every one working on mdlops to make it work with new animations is going to keep doing what they are doing...

We will see though, if it leads to a working a revan model, I am all for it..

Peace..
 m16965
01-10-2007, 2:04 PM
Can you combine just the cape of the Nihilus model onto the Revan one? That should leave the Revan annimations intact while The Nihilus Cape gets added. I am not a modeler so s'cuse my poor offers of help :D

Peace... HouseOfAmon
 Darth InSidious
01-10-2007, 2:28 PM
^Nope, I don't think that would work...IIRC, that would make Nihilus' cape lose it's animations.

I take it that this version is an attempt to re-animate the Revan model as it appeared in game, as opposed to attaching Revan's hood/mask combo to the top of Nihilus, as in the previous thread?
 Shaggoth
01-10-2007, 3:07 PM
wicked!
 HouseOfAmon
01-10-2007, 4:13 PM
Yeah, the previous idea, is not gonna happen, Nihilus is missing animations, like opening doors, I think some fight animations, etc...

This is an attempt at using AuroraFlexMesh, to make the cape dangle like fabric is supposed to, so even when animations are cracked, this would still be usefull, to make the cape act more cloth like..

The same process could be used to make dangly hair, or banners or flags, or anything that dangles..

So regardless of the animations, I still think it would be nice to start adding flex mesh to alot of different objects..

Though, it would help if I was a good modeler, this weighting thing is driving me nuts, I managed to make it stay attached to his torso when you move, but now its stretching his skirting up Steve Urkel style.. lol...

Peace..
 m16965
01-11-2007, 12:21 AM
Lol Read this! (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=155871) cchargin has found something
 RedHawke
01-11-2007, 12:21 AM
Thanks HOA for working on this... looks interesting. :thumbsup:

It has been done: http://www.team-gizka.org/2006-11-01.html)

-Orange
No offence but until it has been released it most certainly has not been done. Once they release the mod with the leaning animation in it then it will have "been done."
 Master Zionosis
01-11-2007, 12:30 AM

No offence but until it has been released it most certainly has not been done, screenshots mean nothing, released product does. Sorry.

Once they release the mod with the leaning animation in it then it will have "been done."

Im with RedHawk, until team gizka actually release this there's no way this can be classed as done. the amount of stuff you can do to edit pictures these days is phanominal, sorry, dont mean to sound, well mean.
 m16965
01-11-2007, 1:20 AM
No offence but until it has been released it most certainly has not been done, screenshots mean nothing, released product does. Sorry.
Right you are RedHawke, I will make a mod test it get screens then improve it again and have it sit in my K2 mods im progress folder for a long time! The screens are previews not the actual mod.
 darthpit
01-11-2007, 3:18 PM

No offence but until it has been released it most certainly has not been done. Once they release the mod with the leaning animation in it then it will have "been done."

I cant say I agree with you Redhawk with all due respect, but that would be the same as saying that we never captured Baghdad in Iraq in till the war is over, what I’m trying to say is progress is still work, why'll it hasn’t been Released you cant deny that they have done it.

Not trying to provoke you just trying to see were you are coming from.
I’m also not trying too take away from HouseofAmon at all, I couldn’t due that if my life depended on it, however you also can’t take away from team Gizka either.

and by the way really nice work HoA

Posting response here to not take thread further off topic;
darthpit: i guess ill do that too.

I cant say I agree with you Redhawk with all due respect, but that would be the same as saying that we never captured Baghdad in Iraq in till the war is over,
No it isn't, that has nothing to do with what I said.

darthpit: they both have to do with progress. taking baghdad was part of the progress needed to finish the war, as this lean apparently is needed to finish the restoration(granted its there own animation...if real)

Sorry I don't see it. Bad analogy IMHO.

what I’m trying to say is progress is still work, why'll it hasn’t been Released you cant deny that they have done it.
I can indeed say that, I also can indeed deny Team Gizka has actually done anything like that at all, until they release the information on how to do that or their 'vaunted' restoration so we can see it for ourselves, anything alse is an easily editable screenshot, hardly hard proof.

You can check out a ton of very convincing fake screenshots done by our very own Shem in the various screenshots threads around here.

darthpit:do you have proof that Gizka faked these screenshots. any picture no matter how well done if fake does have an error sence humans are not perfect, ill look into the pictures more but if you can lay down some hard FACTS i'll swallow my pride and Apologize... ok i did look into it and there is a chance you might be right RedHawk the size they allow you to see it in are not large enough too see any "fine" mistakes and after trying to grab the picture to put it on my computer it... how should I say it? doesnt really help me help them.

The burden of proof is on Team Gizka to buck up and release how to do this, I need do nothing here.

Not trying to provoke you just trying to see were you are coming from.
Reality, that's where I'm coming from.

darth pit:thats not what it means, PROVE(not biased speculation) gizka hasnt done it. just tried to say it in a bit nicer way.

They haven't released anything though, until they release it, they haven't done it... simple as that. Again the burden of proof is on Team Gizka to show and prove, not I. Also I have no 'bias' so in actuality you are the one showing 'bias' here as you are the one believing a simple screenshot.

however you also can’t take away from team Gizka either.
I can indeed, until they actually release something (Other than a small "bug fix"), or at least share the 'secrets' of this animation 'breakthrough' with the rest of the community. -RH
 Shortynds
01-15-2007, 5:31 PM
Well, impressive job you have done there! I hope you keep doing such great things, and get even better at doing it.

Congratulations.

-Shorty
 HouseOfAmon
01-15-2007, 8:00 PM
Well, impressive job you have done there! I hope you keep doing such great things, and get even better at doing it.

Congratulations.

-Shorty

Thank you, I appreciate it, I don't know if I will keep doing this type of stuff or not, I like working with models, but mainly I am a scripter, honestly, I just do whatever I feel like at the moment. :) So who knows what I will do after this..

Peace..
 m16965
01-16-2007, 2:13 AM
^^^^^^^

Whoopsey daisy... :D

The problem may be that the skin is attached to the skeleton so when you edit the model the skins may still be in the same place for the revan model.

BTW If im wrong plz do not flame me. I am a total n00b at modeling!
 Shem
01-16-2007, 2:20 AM
I really hope you plan on releasing a K1 version of this if you get it figured out since it has more use in that game than TSL. At least I think it does have more use in K1. :xp:
 SithRevan
01-16-2007, 3:02 AM
I really hope you plan on releasing a K1 version of this if you get it figured out since it has more use in that game than TSL. At least I think it does have more use in K1.:xp:

Actually you are most likely right on that one Shem. K1 has a lot more to do with Revan then TSL does... in my own opinion of course.:D Anyway I do hope this works out as I am a huge fan of Revan and I will be the first one in line to DL it when it comes out. So good luck and may the force serve you well House.;)
 HouseOfAmon
01-19-2007, 10:17 PM
See my first post.. ^^^^^^^
====================
http://img490.imageshack.us/img490/4954/bumpwt8.jpg)

HOA, unfortunately 'bumping' topics is not allowed here, so no more ok? Forum Rules (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=169078) -RH

Bad joke.. Sorry..

http://img400.imageshack.us/img400/8008/oops7yt.gif)
 Kha
01-21-2007, 8:19 AM
(It seems mdlops alpha won't compile some models with animations if you change certain things(possibly NWMax related), but, if you extract the ascii file, and manually edit that file, then recompile that file without ever using NWMax, it will then compile it..
I am very interested in dangly meshes and new animations, I have tried many things except hacking the model files, so to do this have you added a danglymesh node in the model file? Have you figured out what all those parameters mean?

Thanks,
Kha
 Kas'!m
01-21-2007, 11:38 AM
that's one big robe.
 HouseOfAmon
01-21-2007, 8:11 PM
@Kha,

No, those are the actual robe animations, not a dangly mesh, all I did was restored bone structure, ie, made Revans bones match the supermodel fe/male02.mdl's bones..

But, I did figure out how to make danglymesh work..

(Not necessarily in this order..)

1. It cannot be on the same object as a skinmesh, because they use weight for different purposes, on a skinmesh, its used to hold the skin down, and control bending... On a danglymesh it is used exclusively to control how much something dangles..

2. It cannot be used by itself, unless the danglymesh is attached to an animation it won't move, so if you want the object to move, but it is attached to a mesh piece which has no animations, you must first attach a movement modifier, such as Wave, or Ripple.. Attach them using a volume select modifier, or mesh edit modifier, you can have multiple movement modifiers.

(make sure you do not add the dangly modifier till after you setup everything else in your stack, it goes, editable mesh, selection modifier, movement modifiers, Auroraflexmesh, and use seperate selection mods, for each new modifier.)

3. You will have to link the object to the mesh piece you want it attached to since you can't use skinmesh to link it..

4. According to NWMax's help files, you need to color, and weight the verts of the dangly object, it said RED verts are effected by the dangly modifier, blue, and green are not..

http://www.studio4031.com/Tutorials/Flex%20Tuorial.htm)

Here is a good tutorial on using the flex modifier, which is the internal name of the modifier in Gmax/Max, which is exactly the same as Danglymesh, and Auroraflex...

So hopefully between my tips, and that guide you will be able to figure it out, its pretty easy once you do it once or twice..

Good luck..

@Kas'!m,

Indeed it is, monstrous.... I hope to fix it up soon.

@Redhawke,

I was joking about the bump, it wasn't really a bump, I just edited the post because the information was no longer valid...

As for the double post, well, I think those were days apart, and I was updating the progress on the thread, so it was unavoidable...

Hmm... I never said anything about a double post? :confused: :xp: -RH

I know, I just threw that out there, anyways, sorry for the confusion, it was actually a post that was just edited, I found the "bump" sign humorous, but perhaps I was mistaken, anyways, sorry.. -HOA

Anyways, I have started updating the top post, all progress gets edited in there, I will only be posting to answer questions, etc...

Peace....
 Shem
01-21-2007, 8:29 PM
Actually HouseOfAmon, make sure you do write a post when you update your thread. That way people know you have a new update. :D
 HouseOfAmon
01-21-2007, 8:53 PM
Actually HouseOfAmon, make sure you do write a post when you update your thread. That way people know you have a new update. :D

True, I suppose, I guess I could do the update, then just merge it with the top post, the point is I want to keep my updates from being buried under replies so they are easy to find, so I was trying to keep the info up top where it can't be buried...

But I might just do it that way instead.. Yeah, I will make an update, then merge the important stuff up top, thanks for the perspective Shem, I was at cross roads about how I should do it..

I mainly just didn't want to get in trouble with the mods..

Peace..
 TheGreenGoblin
02-10-2007, 8:27 PM
Don't think I'm rushing you, I'm sure this is a large undertaking, I noticed this thread had fallen back a few pages and was wondering if the mod was still active or not.
 HouseOfAmon
03-16-2007, 4:29 PM
Sorry for the lack of updates, I really should have posted this sooner...

Anyways...

Unfortunately, finishing this mod without a version of MDLOPs that has bone/weighting support is shaping up to be impossible..

This doesn't mean that I have scrapped the mod, its just on hold until CChargin releases a version of MDLOPS that can handle adding new bones, and weighting them..

At any rate the project is far from being scrapped, in fact the male model is 99.9% done, and working, it just needs to be compiled using the new MDLOPS, and have the bone weights tweaked to fix any deformation, and doing the female model will be easy as I already know how to do it, and making the K1 versions will be even easier as its a simple matter of converting the K2 versions to K1 format after I finish both of the K2 models.. ;)

So I would say its looking quite good assuming Chuck is still working on MDLOPS.. :)

So, that about sums it up, sorry to keep you guys waiting, if it makes you feel any better, I am quite disappointed myself, I personally can't wait to have a 100% working Revan as well.. So I feel your pain... :(

Peace..

PS. Does anyone know if Chuck is still working on MDLOPS, and if so, is the next release slated to have bone support, or is he still working on animation support at the moment??

I am hopefull that the next version will have both implemented and working, but that might just be wishful thinking...
 Shem
03-16-2007, 5:09 PM
PS. Does anyone know if Chuck is still working on MDLOPS, and if so, is the next release slated to have bone support, or is he still working on animation support at the moment??The question is when was the last time we heard from CChargin because I don't think he's active in the KOTOR anymore.
 Grindel
03-28-2007, 2:02 AM
not sure if chargin is still dealing with mdlops but there is enough information about this program to revive this programming effort. I will download the information and start with it this weekend. Next, it would seem he has a good idea on the inner working of how the bone stuff works he has everything well documented. http://home.comcast.net/~cchargin/kotor/mdl_info.html) <-- if you you can get some ideas from this perhaps you can edit the bones directly ... Well I have some things too look in to if this project is dead.
 Grindel
03-28-2007, 12:30 PM
Well after looking at the mdlops source code, it looks like it's gonna be a real blast. I sent an e-mail to Chargin no reply yet. Depending on what happens in the next few days I may be starting a new thread for this project.
 Pavlos
03-28-2007, 2:39 PM
Well after looking at the mdlops source code, it looks like it's gonna be a real blast. I sent an e-mail to Chargin no reply yet. Depending on what happens in the next few days I may be starting a new thread for this project.

I'm glad to hear someone else has decided to pick up the torch. :)

Good luck!
 HouseOfAmon
03-28-2007, 2:48 PM
You don't need to contact him, he distributed it with a GPL License(at least the alpha version), meaning its an open source application, and he gave his permission for anyone to use it, modify it, and redistribute it..

The problem is, none of us have the needed skill to do that, so if you have these skills, or are seriously willing to learn, go for it..

I tried, but Perl and my machine don't get along(winxp), so a lot of the used functions in the script don't work, as they are xp incompatible, you need to either re-write them, or use a linux box...

Anyways, any help you could offer in this department is very welcome, so consider it, and if you are serious about it, go for it.. It will be greatly appreciated..

Peace..

PS, Make sure you use MDLOPS alpha, you can find a link around here somewhere, just search for it, anyways, it already has animation support, most done, so it would save you some trouble....
 Grindel
03-29-2007, 7:29 AM
As far as using the pearl sources I just intend on using them as a guide for a complete rewrite. I'm think I'll do initial testing using something like RealBasic then port it to C++. it shouldn't bee too big of a problem. I'm familiar with all the languages involved and besides programming isn't about language it's about understanding process, languages are simply a thing of implementation. Well I'm planning on starting work on it around Sunday. I'll keep everyone posted, likely will be starting a new thread soon. BTW I haven't received an e-mail back from Chargin so I'm just going with the assumption that the project is abandoned.

My first priority after getting a working implementation going is to start work on getting the bones to convert I'll deal with animations later. But i have already said too much i should just be worried about getting a working version together :)
 glovemaster
03-29-2007, 12:00 PM
how do you port into C++? I've never used that
 HouseOfAmon
03-29-2007, 3:50 PM
how do you port into C++? I've never used that

I believe its just a term used when re-writing code to a different language, there is no tool, as far as I know that can change code between languages..

So basically, you have to know the C++ equivalent functions of the Perl functions used in the original code, and re-write it...

Peace.
 glovemaster
03-29-2007, 4:20 PM
Ahh that helps.. lol i'll start now
 sith_master2000
04-02-2007, 6:29 PM
Very interesting, although I personally only care about seeing Revan's cape animated in KotOR I. Keep up the good work nonetheless.
 glovemaster
04-03-2007, 3:28 AM
I dont think it would be possible to animated the cape in KotOR I with out adding animations to the character?
 HouseOfAmon
04-03-2007, 4:21 AM
I dont think it would be possible to animated the cape in KotOR I with out adding animations to the character?

Thats true, the animations I used are for the Jedi robes in TSL, those don't exist in K1, the only way to get these into K1 would be to use the TSL supermodels, which is not allowed, or make new animations, I had forgotten about that little problem...

Peace..
 glovemaster
04-03-2007, 4:24 AM
Well, i hope that you can finish off MDLops

Good Luck ;)
Page: 1 of 1