Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Accessing the OJP Source (Pre-SVN Posts)

Page: 2 of 3
 razorace
09-11-2005, 1:53 AM
Alrightly, I've just done a massive revision to the tutorial to reflect the changes in newer TortoiseCVS versions. The great thing about it is that you no longer have to use the command line or my hackish cvs zips anymore! Yeah!
 razorace
09-15-2005, 11:51 PM
Ooops, I forgot to mention that you need to set the module field in the checkout menu to be a period (IE "."). I've updated the tutorial to show this.
 razorace
10-30-2005, 2:34 PM
I've created a new branch (SPNAVCODEPORT) off OJP_BASIC to contain the SP Nav port code until I can get it to a working state. This code currently doesn't not properly compile or run but all the declarations/defines should be right. I'm currently in the process of filling out all the undefined functions/classes that make this all work.
 dannyboy233
01-02-2006, 6:53 AM
Razor, Is the Source that has holstered weapons in it available yet? I was wondering because i kinda wanted to take..you know, a nosy round in it;)
 razorace
01-02-2006, 4:48 PM
Yep, its in all the branches now. Just search for "VisualWeapons" in the files to find it.
 dannyboy233
01-02-2006, 5:10 PM
Cheers, thanks a bunch. Ill have a poke round later.
 Grey Raven
02-22-2006, 9:20 PM
First time in this forum; forgive the very assinine question.

I was trying to use that TortoiseCVS program to download the repository, followed the instructions to the letter, however when the login.bat program prompts me for my password, it won't allow me to enter anything. It then tells me that I've entered an empty password, and the operation fails. Is there anything I can do about this?
 razorace
02-22-2006, 10:20 PM
The login.bat method is no longer nessicary under the newer version of the tutorial. All you have to do is do a CVS Checkout and input your modified CVSRoot.
 ensiform
03-11-2006, 3:24 AM
just a suggestion but uhm i think it would make it easier if you converted to svn instead of cvs and its like 100x better, many many projects are making the change.
 razorace
03-11-2006, 4:22 AM
What's the advantage? I'm pretty happy with CVS as is.
 ensiform
03-11-2006, 1:03 PM
ive never ever really gotten cvs to work without downloading the tarballs. svn works perfectly for a few projects im linked to.

here's a q3 project that moved to svn and everyone seems happy that it did:

http://www.quakesrc.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6212)
 razorace
03-11-2006, 10:52 PM
I think that's more of an issue with the tarball generator and the way we have our branched set up. I beleive Keshire was able to tarball it without issues.
 ensiform
03-12-2006, 12:59 AM
i dunno svn just seems easier at least on my end.
 razorace
03-12-2006, 4:13 AM
Well, you could just get a direct CVS connection to the repository. That does make things a lot easier.
 ensiform
03-12-2006, 4:29 PM
rofl but making cvs work is too much compared to just doing svn co svn://......... foldername
 razorace
03-12-2006, 7:01 PM
...As opposed to completely starting over the repository?
 Grey Raven
04-04-2006, 6:27 PM
I'm not very internet savvy, and until I found this site had never heard of "CVS" before.

I've still been having alot of trouble trying to get the CVS to work properly (everytime I tried to install Tortoise, the program would be gone after reboot). Just today I decided to bite the bullet and download each file from the repository manually :headbump . About halfway through cgame, which I started with, I noticed something at the top left of the screen, something about "downloading OJP tarballs". I didn't know what that meant, but I was bored as hell and figured I'd find out. Lo, and behold, I found something wonderful - Freepository.com has a tar file containing EVERY single file in the OJP repository :emodanc: . Just download it, open it with WinZip, and extract. Yahoo!

The latest version of WinZip can be found here. (http://www.winzip.com/downwzeval.htm)
 ZerooftheFour
05-19-2006, 1:06 AM
nvm, i got it to work...
 JRHockney*
05-29-2006, 5:09 AM
Alright, I didn't follow the directions completely, but I have the code downloaded so I can at least view it and compare it with base (which is all I should be doing considering my sad knowledge of C).

I was wondering: does anyone know where I can find the most of the changes made to the saber combat for Enhanced? I compared the code with base code for hours and only found a few irrelavate things that were different, so can anyone tell me the line and file/class (or whatever those things are called in C Example: bg_saber or w_saber ) of where much of the changes are made. I would most like to see the code for the attackfake btw.
 razorace
05-31-2006, 9:28 PM
most of it is in bg_saber and w_saber, but it's thruout the code. The key is to look for the "[SaberSys]" tags that I've used to mark all those changes.
 JRHockney*
06-01-2006, 2:29 AM
most of it is in bg_saber and w_saber, but it's thruout the code. The key is to look for the "[SaberSys]" tags that I've used to mark all those changes.

Cool, I'll check it out. Great to have you back!!
 JRHockney*
06-01-2006, 4:29 AM
Weird, I couldn't find any of those tags. I even ran a search on the code for them for both bg_saber and w_saber. I guess I'm just going to have to look for the changes the hard way. :(
 Sushi_CW
06-01-2006, 10:28 PM
Question: What all is required to successfully compile and run the OJP source? I'm thinking of getting in on some code changes myself (I do program, as it happens) but I'd like to know what infrastructure I'll need. Razor, what compiler do you use? Do you use any sort of project file or makefile? If I download the source, is it ready to compile or do I have to tweak some stuff first? And if I do need to tweak...what? :)
 razorace
06-03-2006, 1:08 AM
Question: What all is required to successfully compile and run the OJP source? I'm thinking of getting in on some code changes myself (I do program, as it happens) but I'd like to know what infrastructure I'll need. Razor, what compiler do you use? Do you use any sort of project file or makefile? If I download the source, is it ready to compile or do I have to tweak some stuff first? And if I do need to tweak...what? :)
All the project files (for Visual Studios 2003) are on the repository where they should be. All you gotta do is get the files off the repository and compile them with VS 2003. You can technically compile the code with any compiler that can output .dlls but you'd have to figure out all the project file stuff on your own.
 razorace
06-03-2006, 1:11 AM
Weird, I couldn't find any of those tags. I even ran a search on the code for them for both bg_saber and w_saber. I guess I'm just going to have to look for the changes the hard way. :(
How did you get the files?
 JRHockney*
06-03-2006, 4:55 AM
How did you get the files?

If I remember right, I just downloaded the whole thing and used microsoft visual C++ v8 to look at them. I had no intention of modifying anything yet, so I did it the easy way.
 Vruki Salet
06-03-2006, 11:46 AM
You must have the wrong code JR. Or maybe you're doing a search using regular expressions, without realizing it, and not escaping the '[' ?
 razorace
06-03-2006, 1:09 PM
simply searching for "SaberSys" (without the qoutes) should get you everything you need. Maybe you're not searching in the correct area,which I either set to the entire solution or the root directory of all the source code files.
 Sushi_CW
06-10-2006, 5:12 PM
Meh. I can't get the direct access working (like everyone else :)). I get as far as trying to log in, but it rejects my password. It might have something to do with the SSL certificate (if I don't include the .cvsSSLkeys file, I get the same error) but I took care to download the most recent version from Freepository's site. Any ideas?
 razorace
06-10-2006, 5:31 PM
hmmm, what's the actual error message?

As for getting help on weird problems, the best way is to email the freepository admin. He's great about helping fix problems just like this. :)
 Sushi_CW
06-10-2006, 6:30 PM
Here's the connection log from my last attempt:

In C:\Documents and Settings\Chris\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\OJP: "C:\Program Files\TortoiseCVS\cvs.exe" "-q" "checkout" "-P" "."
CVSROOT=:sserver;version=1:sushi@freepository.com: 3025/fp1/222yx9P6fFHQYOpenJediProject

Empty password used - try 'cvs login' with a real password
cvs [checkout aborted]: authorization failed: server freepository.com rejected access to /fp1/222yx9P6fFHQYOpenJediProject for user sushi

Error, CVS operation failed

In : "C:\Program Files\TortoiseCVS\cvs.exe" "-q" "login"
CVSROOT=:sserver;version=1:sushi@freepository.com: 3025/fp1/222yx9P6fFHQYOpenJediProject

Logging in to :sserver:sushi@freepository.com:3025:/fp1/222yx9P6fFHQYOpenJediProject
cvs [login aborted]: authorization failed: server freepository.com rejected access to /fp1/222yx9P6fFHQYOpenJediProject for user sushi

Logging in to :sserver:sushi@freepository.com:3025:/fp1/222yx9P6fFHQYOpenJediProject
CVS Password: cvs [login aborted]: received interrupt signal

CVS operation aborted by user request

Error, one of the CVS operations failed

Using connection string:

:sserver;version=1:sushi@freepository.com:3025/fp1/222yx9P6fFHQYOpenJediProject

I'll refrain from posting the SSL key here. :)

If nobody has any ideas, I'll contact the admin when I have time.
 razorace
06-10-2006, 8:50 PM
ok, when it give the empty password error, you have to wait for it to give you the opertunity to enter a password., it will pop up automatically. OR did you already do that?
 razorace
06-10-2006, 9:06 PM
Added a tutorial on commiting things to the repository and a description of all the repository branches.
 Sushi_CW
06-11-2006, 12:02 AM
Yes, forgot to mention that... it prompts for my password, I enter it, then gives me that error, then prompts for my password, I enter it, gives error...etc.
 razorace
06-11-2006, 12:37 AM
hmmm, sounds like a password problem. Talk to the repository admin. :)
 Sushi_CW
06-13-2006, 9:31 PM
Good news... I finally got it working.

It turns out I WAS using the wrong connection string. I'd selected the first one listed for "WinCVS and TortoiseSVN," not the second one designated for Freepositories created before 2006. My bad... :)
 razorace
06-13-2006, 9:41 PM
I'm glad you got it working. :)
 Sushi_CW
06-13-2006, 9:49 PM
So am I. Next question: why didn't my checkout grab everything? When I go into my freshly checked out folder, there is no "Enhanced" directory. There's "Basic" and "Betaserver" and "Vehicles" but no "Enhanced." The odd thing is, when I checked out (and updated after just to be sure) it listed files in that directory. Where did they go?
 razorace
06-13-2006, 10:39 PM
The Enhanced code is in the Basic folder under another branch. I believe there's a tutorial on the code set up at the beginning of this thread.
 Sushi_CW
06-13-2006, 10:52 PM
OK, if I've understood correctly, the Enhanced code is in OJPBasic/Source. Thanks Razor!
 razorace
06-13-2006, 11:34 PM
yeah, but Basic and Enhanced are in the same folder. Fortunately, the default branch is Enhanced. :)
 alexx860
06-17-2006, 2:08 PM
Can't get direct access with TortoiseCVS. I followed all the steps but when I do check-out it always ask me my password (the one I use for login to freepository) :
In D:\JA Coding\OJP CVS: "C:\Program Files\TortoiseCVS\cvs.exe" "-q" "checkout" "."
CVSROOT=:sserver;version=1:alexx860@freepository.c om:3025/fp1/222yx9P6fFHQYOpenJediProject

cvs.exe checkout: Empty password used - try 'cvs login' with a real password

cvs.exe [checkout aborted]: authorization failed: server freepository.com rejected access to /fp1/222yx9P6fFHQYOpenJediProject for user alexx860

CVSROOT=:sserver;version=1:alexx860@freepository.c om:3025/fp1/222yx9P6fFHQYOpenJediProject

Logging in to :sserver:alexx860@freepository.com:3025:/fp1/222yx9P6fFHQYOpenJediProject
cvs.exe [login aborted]: authorization failed: server freepository.com rejected access to /fp1/222yx9P6fFHQYOpenJediProject for user alexx860

Logging in to :sserver:alexx860@freepository.com:3025:/fp1/222yx9P6fFHQYOpenJediProject

Error, one of the CVS operations failed
 razorace
06-17-2006, 3:09 PM
TortoiseCVS will ask for your password if you wait. If it doesn't do it after a few moments, you're probably not using a new enough version of TortoiseCVS.
 Sushi_CW
06-17-2006, 3:30 PM
That's almost exactly the problem I was having...for me, it turned out I wasn't using the right CVSRoot string. I needed to use the LAST one listed on the freepository page.

Also, if you've changed your Freepository password since getting the CVSRoot string, you need to enter your OLD password when you try to check out. Tricky. :)
 alexx860
06-17-2006, 4:03 PM
Oh yes thanks, it works :) You must use the 4th CVSROOT in "Secure ID entries" :
4. Legacy freepositories (created prior to Jan-2006) and CVSNT-based client (WinCVS and TortoiseCVS):
I was using the second ;)
 razorace
06-17-2006, 5:05 PM
Oh, ok. That's new. I guess jbminn changed things around.
 JRHockney*
07-02-2006, 3:35 PM
I have a coding question for anyone who can help. Just for fun, I located the code for the double DP damage when hitting a runing person. If I wanted to make a patch for 0.0.9d to add that in, how would go about doing that. This fix wont be necessary for very long obviously, but if I knew such a thing, I think it would help me greatly in learning how to code. Can anybody give me a detailed description of how to do it (without too much computer jargon, because Im kind of stupid when it comes to that stuff! LOL)? I may also try changing the lunge damage as well since it appears to be apart of the same code block.
 Vruki Salet
07-02-2006, 3:46 PM
Lol you want to make it damage X 2000 against runners, don't you? I know it!
 razorace
07-02-2006, 4:19 PM
Just recompile the game .dll and then package it up in a .pk3.
 JRHockney*
07-02-2006, 5:21 PM
Lol you want to make it damage X 2000 against runners, don't you? I know it!

No I was actually hoping for X 4000. LOL! No but seriously, version 0.0.9d doesnt have any running penalties. I was hoping to add the X 2 DP penalties for running back in and lower the lunge DP damage possibly even back to normal hit damage. Heck, because we found out that running is still a bit too powerful for this mod, I might even make the running damage X 2.5 until we can come up with something else. That should make it penalized just enough so only the best runners can do well.

Just recompile the game .dll and then package it up in a .pk3.

Well, I'm not entirely sure how to do that, but I could probably figure it out (I think the directions are with the code development pack anyways). Do you have the most recent code that includes the mishap meter at the repository, btw? If not, Do I have to recompile and put in the whole thing or can I just pick out running code somehow? If the code I have is old and I put the whole w_saber cv file in, wont that disable some of the new code or something? Like I said, I am stupid at this. Help me oh great Jedi Guardian of the Newbie Questions (bows down)
Page: 2 of 3