Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Mp Omg

Page: 4 of 4
 =X=Master HeX
09-20-2003, 12:22 PM
This has always been an issue in patches. I don't understand the reason for removing features. A simple toggle can reduce MUCH complaining from various parties. It also gives the admin the long lost sense of "customization ability".
 C'jais
09-20-2003, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by =X=Master HeX
The increased damage deal never sat well with me. I like to have the feeling that my saber does just as good in dueling as it does when I bring it to a ctf map.

I see, I don't really enjoy it much either - I just played a botmatch and it took ages to kill someone, even with red stance.

I'm all for more damage in general as it is right now.

From what I understand push/pull will knock a player down if the attacker (person who pushed) has a higher force rank then the defender (person being pushed). When the defender has absorb on it really doesn't even matter what their push/pull rank is either.

Yup, all correct. I was thinking more about how a player could get knocked down if he was doing something like turning his back to the "pullee" or swinging his shaft about.

Push pull and fc with absorb WILL NOT knowthem down, it'll slow them slightly, but power them up to speed off again.

I'm well aware of that, I was speaking more about how to knock someone down with push and pull in general. Of course, if absorb is on, you can't really pull/push anyone.

Here's a question: How did JK1 CTF matches play out? I mean, you've got your speed, your absorb and your olympic runner FC, but no kick at all. I wasn't playing that gametype back then, but I'd be interested in knowing how they dealt with it.

But I'm sure Raven will release a patch sometime to fix some of the buggy multiplayer.

I was just on a duel server, and all I saw were people wielding staffs and dualsabers, but who had no idea what they were doing, just swinging and running around, occasionally doing a roll stab that never did much damage.
 Comm539
09-20-2003, 1:28 PM
Imo jk1 ctf was aweful. We got JK2, which wasn't perfect, but was a great improvement and played well. Then we get JA which seems to have deevolved in features. I heard the kicks were available in the beta version, so it means their probably still there and were taken out late. It can't be that hard for the devs to patch it with kciks as a toggle? aswell as ptk, out of los grip, gripkick etc.
 cphlebas
09-20-2003, 1:43 PM
okay, so I understand about need a way to stop the FC and the brief pause that an absorbed push/pull giving not being enough. That's a problem. However, there is a new kicking system added with the twohanded system that provides knockbacks and knockdowns. Is it not possible to build combos with this (ie kick to knockdown, kata as they get up)?

One of the main complaints people had with the double-press jump kicks was that the range was too great and often didn't match the animation. The new ground-based kicks seem like they would offer a new trade-off of reduced range, but greater options (being able to kick in any direction).
 Astrotoy7
09-20-2003, 1:57 PM
Wow, I have been wincing at the last 4 pages of this thread! There's alot of testosterone in here !!!! How old are all you guys !!!!!!!! Very early on in this thread a wise poster stated :

Most of these whiner's complaints go on like this -
it's not like jk2 - Cry Cry Cry
JA doesn't have my fav move from JO - Cry Cry Cry
I don't like this - Cry Cry Cry
I keep getting beat because of this move - Cry Cry Cry
It's laggy, totally not my fault- Cry Cry Cry
Random stupid thing that no one cares about - Cry Cry Cry
I can't adapt, which is all raven's fault - Cry Cry Cry
etc. etc.

Bravo ! Couldn't agree more !

As for myself, I've said this somehere else, but I'd like to add it here. For those who nit pick and complain, what you need to do is get your ass off your mum(or is it mom's :P) couch, go out and get a job with a game developer like Raven, Bioware, Blizzard etc, and make a game that every gamer in the world will hail as a masterpiece.

In anything, from making a toasted cheese sandwich to developing a game, it is impossible to please everyone, if you dont like it, JUST DONT PLAY IT & MOVE ON WITH YOUR LIFE !!!!!
Go back and play your fave game, ring a pretty girl and take her to the prom...or somethin !

MTFBWYA !
 g//plaZma
09-20-2003, 1:58 PM
Originally posted by cphlebas
okay, so I understand about need a way to stop the FC and the brief pause that an absorbed push/pull giving not being enough. That's a problem. However, there is a new kicking system added with the twohanded system that provides knockbacks and knockdowns. Is it not possible to build combos with this (ie kick to knockdown, kata as they get up)?

One of the main complaints people had with the double-press jump kicks was that the range was too great and often didn't match the animation. The new ground-based kicks seem like they would offer a new trade-off of reduced range, but greater options (being able to kick in any direction).

Saberstaff kicks are not efficiant enough for CTF. You'd have to run straight up to the fc, stop for a second to press alt fire (you can't run while pressing alt fire) and then press a directional button to kick at the air because the fc will be long gone by the time you actually pull off a kick. If in some case you did connect with the kick, the fc would just counter-kick at you when he's on the ground, usually causing more damage and a knockdown which would give him the perfect chance to run off while you're down.
 SkinWalker
09-20-2003, 2:02 PM
This is one of the worst threads I've seen in a while...

People quoting whole posts to leave a couple of words in reply, adolescent name-calling, hax0r language, flames, etc., etc.

I was actually hoping to find something useful about Multiplayer gamestyle here... some strategies that I can read that others have found.... Nothing but insesant whining from all sides...

The biggest problem with JK2 MP was RPG/emote garbage that sucked up all the servers and got in the way of gameplay, and the so-called experts that had no other life than to perfect their kicking style so they can run around and show everyone how elite they were.

Bah.

These were both minorities of the game, the majority being just players that wanted to interact with other "real" opponants to play a game once in a while. Ufortunately, these minorities were the loudest two groups of idiots in the game, which ruined it for many, including themselves.

Regardless of you motivation, you guys should leave all the flames and insults in your heads and not type them in this (and other) threads. This is plainly against the rules.

If I were moderating in this forum, I'd delete every post with a flame and the thread would be left with a handful of quality, on topic posts.

But since I moderate elsewhere, I'll simply ask that you guys chill out and have the respect you are obligated to show by being a member of LF.
 Comm539
09-20-2003, 2:50 PM
Most flames originated from people from other game modes, who this doesn't concern.
I've wrote the reasons about 100 times now and I can't be bothered again (maybe scroll up or something :P), but all we want is a patch with the features from JO that can be toggled on or off. That way, we get what we want and 'casual gamers' get what they want.
 MasterNeo
09-20-2003, 3:14 PM
and the so-called experts that had no other life than to perfect their kicking style so they can run around and show everyone how elite they were.

If I had a life I would consider that a flame.

I played JK2 from the begining. It was hard in the begining, I learned by watching duels and by taking some little tips along the way. As I played more and more I got used to the game and began winning my first FFA matches. Kicking became an important tool in the game since it was used for so many things so I began working on that as well. After a year and a couple months I have it down, as to many others. Its a valuble tool to learn and it helps win matches in JK2.

As well as a gamer, I also maintain a 3.7 GPA going into my Junior year, I volunteer to help out less fortunate inner city kids from East Cleveland, and I also build model rockets and shoot them off with my friends. But you didnt need to know that

I'll be darned if somone tells me I have no life, simply because I learned a technique in a game that gives me an edge. If people think I do that just to show how elite I am because I won the match then so be it.

You can insult my skill, but please dont insult my character.

Thanks
 Comm539
09-20-2003, 3:27 PM
The reasons why the features of JO are needed are obvious in s/o ctf and i'm tired of keep repeating them. An fc won't stop and fight, you need to stop him. Since there's no new ways to do this (therefore no new way to learn) he gets away everytime and stalemates the game. If there was indeed a new fandangled way to stop an fc, i'm sure noone would complain about things missing, but, unfortunately, there isn't. This is why we need the old ways back

What is most annoying, is the fact that we are only asking for toggleable features. Kicking is only brought back if you type the command, out of los gripping is brought back if you type the command. Ptk is brought back if you type the command. It doesn't affect any other gamemode apart from individual ctf servers. And since the entire s/o ctf community is united over this, I don't see the problem. There is and can be no sensical arguement against this.
 MasterNeo
09-20-2003, 3:30 PM
^ Very True ^_^
 g//plaZma
09-20-2003, 3:40 PM
Originally posted by SkinWalker
and the so-called experts that had no other life than to perfect their kicking style so they can run around and show everyone how elite they were.

Wow. Are you for real?

Kicking was the best way to win in JK2 and if you didn't kick, you'd get your ass handed to you by people who do. I don't understand why you're hating on people just because they used an attack that was put into the game by Raven to be used. A simple fact is that if you know how to combo with kicking, you will easily kill the guy who swings a saber around. Sure, the guy who swings the saber around can complain and bitch at whoever just killed him using such a "lame" technique such as kicking but that doesn't make up for the fact that your score on the score board is less than the guy who can kick.
 C'jais
09-20-2003, 3:54 PM
Contrary to popular belief, you can look stupid while winning.
 kazesan
09-20-2003, 3:57 PM
True Raven put kicking into the game to be used, but I doubt they wanted to totally nerf the saber and basically make it an unimportant part of the game. The game is Jedi Knight. It is based on the movies. In the movies they don't flip kick everything in sight. I bought JA and JK2 because I wanted to have a game with an innovative and accurate melee combat system. The added bonus was that it was based on Star Wars. I have fun when I parry my opponents attacks and give him few good hits with the saber, win or lose. I don't have fun when I get kicked to the ground then kicked as I get up then kicked again.

I also have a hard time having fun when people spam katas and spam roll stabs and spam special moves and only use staff and dual sabers because of their huge dominance over single. In the first patch (I'm expecting one) I hope they up the damage of single saber's blue and yellow stance greatly. That or they tone the damage of dual and staff down. If kicks are put in then hopefully people won't abuse them to the extent that katas and twirls are abused in this game. Of course it may just be the dumb admins who make the staff kick instant kill.
 g//plaZma
09-20-2003, 4:01 PM
Originally posted by C'jais

"Look" stupid? Do competitive gamers really care if they look like retards on crack while their score is 100 - 0? No, we do anything and everything to get our names/teams on the top of that scoreboard.

Geez the mods here are really stupid.
 scarlet
09-20-2003, 4:51 PM
Yes. Now suck it up and move on, or stop your incessant whining and calmly state what you'd like to see fixed - without flinging sh*t at the fan.

The problem is that you think you all have a right to play the game the way you want. So what if you can't play s/o CTF the way you used to - play something else if you don't like it. You didn't see people complaining when the saber's damage was lowered from JK to JO, because it was a completely new game, with new rules. And people adjusted.

Now we're here with JA, and suddenly you think it's not a new game, but rather, an "upgraded" version of JO and that means everything must work just like before. But it doesn't.

I don't know what Raven intends to do about this problem (and trust me, I can see that you have a problem), but in the meantime, I'm not going to sit on my bum and whine here all day long. As an example, because I don't care for dual and doublesabers, I'm now tempted to pick up guns. That's how it goes.

But you will not come in here and troll every-f*cking-thing in sight and behave like spoiled 13 year olds on a senseless trick-or-treat rampage. That's pathetic and solves nothing.

Oh, and here's a tip: If you want anyone to take you guys seriously (not to mention Raven), stop using those silly internet acronyms like "stfu", "u" and "gtfo".

first of all, am i complaining about "every-f*cking-thing" in sight, or just s/o ctf? and, is my whining really all that unbearable? can you not choose to not to click on these threads? aren't you supposed to be having fun playing your mode on JA anyway, when did you enter the s/o ctf concern?

the reason i'm complaining is not because i want JO back. if i did, i would continue to play it and not worry about JA. the fact is, i, like you, want a new game which is as fun for me as jk2 was. you know, i'm not saying i NEED kick, ptk, gk or dfa back, i just want SOMETHING to fill the void. and no, katas do not fill that void. if you say i should just go find a different mode, put yourself in my shoes. what if they took away everything from nf duel and ffa modes (or any other modes you like), and told you to go play a mode that you didn't enjoy? time out: isn't online gaming about having fun? with a community? i do not have nearly as much fun on ffa or other servers, and i generally do not like it's community. so you're saying don't play the game? so i just waste $50 and have no right to express my opinion about the game and offer up things to fix MY mode?

now please, if you didn't play JO s/o ctf and don't plan on it playing JA s/o ctf, STAY OUT OF THIS THREAD. how many times have i said this?
 C'jais
09-20-2003, 5:03 PM
Originally posted by g//plaZma
"Look" stupid? Do competitive gamers really care if they look like retards on crack while their score is 100 - 0? No, we do anything and everything to get our names/teams on the top of that scoreboard.

True, just don't expect to get invited to any cool parties afterwards.

Hmm.

I'm tempted to say the same about the clientele around here, but of course, that'd be a sweeping, silly generalization.
 scarlet
09-20-2003, 5:04 PM

my motivation was never to show how 'elite' i was, it was for the challenge, like most other online fps games, and it was the best/most efficient way to kill an fc. i never had the intention of 'showing how elite i was' by killing an fc with a kick. please, stop making invalid assumptions.
 Comm539
09-20-2003, 5:07 PM
Look we want a toggleable feature. If you don't want kicking, you don't have to have it. We want kicking, we can turn it on.
BTW, there are simple ways to avoid kicks, just because you haven't learnt them, that doesn't make kicking 'lame' or 'unblockable', because contrary to popular belief, it is.
But this is moving from the point. No one has come up with a 'new' way in JA to stop and kill a guy who doesn't want to be stoped. As a s/o ctf community, we all want kicking back.
Thats why we want the features togglable. We're happy, you're happy, we're all happy.
 scarlet
09-20-2003, 5:21 PM
Originally posted by kazesan
True Raven put kicking into the game to be used, but I doubt they wanted to totally nerf the saber and basically make it an unimportant part of the game. The game is Jedi Knight. It is based on the movies. In the movies they don't flip kick everything in sight.

how do you know what raven 'wanted' by putting kick in the game?

The added bonus was that it was based on Star Wars. I have fun when I parry my opponents attacks and give him few good hits with the saber, win or lose.

exactly, we didn't buy JA and JK2 because we wanted it to be based on the films, we wanted a good fps with a competitive community, which is why we don't go on your servers and insult your game types.

I don't have fun when I get kicked to the ground then kicked as I get up then kicked again.

great, more power to you. if you don't want kicking to the ground then kicking when you get up then you have nothing at all to worry about: we are concerned about s/o ctf, and we just want the ability to toggle features (if you didn't understand what that means, we want raven to add an admin option that allows the admin to enable kick or disable kick, enable grip kick or disable grip kick, etc.). therefore, there would be many servers full of people like you who bought the game for the role playing experience, and i'm sure you will continue to have fun in the game. now, the s/o ctf community on the other hand, are we happy with what JA is as of now? no, that's why we want the admin capability to change the settings for S/O CTF, and if raven helps us it will not do ONE THING to your modes. we're not complaining to YOU, we're asking raven to reconsider what they have done to US. now please people, i don't feel like explaining this to anyone else.
 mikeyjuan
09-20-2003, 5:24 PM
Hahaha someone called this a 'new' game. I dont know what your playing, but I just got jk:a and basically i spent 50 bucks to buy the 1.05patch of jk2 with /amsit commands built in...
 g//plaZma
09-20-2003, 5:29 PM
True, just don't expect to get invited to any cool parties afterwards.

Oh nos! I won't be invited to any "cool parties"

/amcry

Why don't we 1v1 ff duel to 10 in JK2? I'll post a demo. I'm sure many people would like to see that.
 Rumor
09-20-2003, 5:32 PM
Yes. Now suck it up and move on, or stop your incessant whining and calmly state what you'd like to see fixed - without flinging sh*t at the fan.

The problem is that you think you all have a right to play the game the way you want. So what if you can't play s/o CTF the way you used to - play something else if you don't like it. You didn't see people complaining when the saber's damage was lowered from JK to JO, because it was a completely new game, with new rules. And people adjusted.

Now we're here with JA, and suddenly you think it's not a new game, but rather, an "upgraded" version of JO and that means everything must work just like before. But it doesn't.

I don't know what Raven intends to do about this problem (and trust me, I can see that you have a problem), but in the meantime, I'm not going to sit on my bum and whine here all day long. As an example, because I don't care for dual and doublesabers, I'm now tempted to pick up guns. That's how it goes.

But you will not come in here and troll every-f*cking-thing in sight and behave like spoiled 13 year olds on a senseless trick-or-treat rampage. That's pathetic and solves nothing.

Oh, and here's a tip: If you want anyone to take you guys seriously (not to mention Raven), stop using those silly internet acronyms like "stfu", "u" and "gtfo".

its funny. people like you were the ones who got jo dumbed down.

if you would like one of us duelers or ctf'ers to show you what its like to try and kill us in a match, please do. i'd say 6 people from here who are very much against kicks, grip hiding, etc., versus say, div3rse in a 20 minute match of CTF, and a duel to 10 frags with no timelimit versus myself, plazma, remij, one of the saberists from aP, or one of the duelers from FK. you'll get what we mean if you see it first hand.
 scarlet
09-20-2003, 5:33 PM

i don't remember anyone saying they want to look cool while winning, more like, we want A WAY to win.
 Rumor
09-20-2003, 5:38 PM
Originally posted by Astrotoy7
Wow, I have been wincing at the last 4 pages of this thread! There's alot of testosterone in here !!!! How old are all you guys !!!!!!!! Very early on in this thread a wise poster stated :

Most of these whiner's complaints go on like this -
it's not like jk2 - Cry Cry Cry
JA doesn't have my fav move from JO - Cry Cry Cry
I don't like this - Cry Cry Cry
I keep getting beat because of this move - Cry Cry Cry
It's laggy, totally not my fault- Cry Cry Cry
Random stupid thing that no one cares about - Cry Cry Cry
I can't adapt, which is all raven's fault - Cry Cry Cry
etc. etc.

Bravo ! Couldn't agree more !

As for myself, I've said this somehere else, but I'd like to add it here. For those who nit pick and complain, what you need to do is get your ass off your mum(or is it mom's :P) couch, go out and get a job with a game developer like Raven, Bioware, Blizzard etc, and make a game that every gamer in the world will hail as a masterpiece.

In anything, from making a toasted cheese sandwich to developing a game, it is impossible to please everyone, if you dont like it, JUST DONT PLAY IT & MOVE ON WITH YOUR LIFE !!!!!
Go back and play your fave game, ring a pretty girl and take her to the prom...or somethin !

MTFBWYA !

sorry but 99% of us have Full Time jobs, girlfriends/wives, and do many other things, like play school sports.
 Rumor
09-20-2003, 5:40 PM

The biggest problem with JK2 MP was RPG/emote garbage that sucked up all the servers and got in the way of gameplay, and the so-called experts that had no other life than to perfect their kicking style so they can run around and show everyone how elite they were.

wow. i didn't know mods were immature enough to start insulting peoples lives. and you frown on people flaming? take a look in the mirror, bud.
 Rumor
09-20-2003, 5:43 PM
Originally posted by MasterNeo
If I had a life I would consider that a flame.

I played JK2 from the begining. It was hard in the begining, I learned by watching duels and by taking some little tips along the way. As I played more and more I got used to the game and began winning my first FFA matches. Kicking became an important tool in the game since it was used for so many things so I began working on that as well. After a year and a couple months I have it down, as to many others. Its a valuble tool to learn and it helps win matches in JK2.

As well as a gamer, I also maintain a 3.7 GPA going into my Junior year, I volunteer to help out less fortunate inner city kids from East Cleveland, and I also build model rockets and shoot them off with my friends. But you didnt need to know that

I'll be darned if somone tells me I have no life, simply because I learned a technique in a game that gives me an edge. If people think I do that just to show how elite I am because I won the match then so be it.

You can insult my skill, but please dont insult my character.

Thanks

damn straight man.

I work full time, i'm currently remodelling my house, raising 16 (yes, SIXTEEN) puppies, going to school, learning photoshop/maya/webdesign, and i play sports and go do **** with my friends, plus i hunt and fish and go camping. i'm an Assistant Scoutmaster. No life my ass.
 Rumor
09-20-2003, 5:50 PM
Originally posted by g//plaZma

not to mention getting sponsored to get free servers and games...and sometimes money...
 Rumor
09-20-2003, 5:52 PM

we care, why? i don't care if you put a pk3 in your base folder that makes anyone who kicks turn into a wookie in a pink leotard, we don't give a damn what you think about how we look.
 mikeyjuan
09-20-2003, 6:12 PM
Rumor 2 late, they already have that pk3. its built into the newest AMSIT mod
 Kurgan
09-20-2003, 10:30 PM
Sigh.. why does every thread on this subject have to turn into a flame fest?

Geez, you'd think some people had never heard an opposing viewpoint before. What does insulting a person do to convince them your point of view is correct?

If you (and you know who you are) don't want threads to get locked PLEASE show some more maturity and constructive debate skills.

I'm just getting fed up with people not respecting each other on here.. it's just brings the whole forum down. ; p

Not sure what was meant by that crack about getting "free servers and sometimes money", but much as I *wish* that was true, it's not. We do this for free and for fun.

And insulting mods? That's crossing the line. I don't care what board you visit, that's not a smart thing to do. If somebody is doing something you disagree with you can report it to an admin and we'll discuss it or post constructively in the Feedback forum, but you don't smear them on here, period.
Page: 4 of 4