Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

questions??

Page: 1 of 1
 Blademaster_109
05-01-2003, 8:07 PM
i have never played dark forces but i have played JO and it metions the prequels to it so what happens in dark forces.
 Katarn07
05-01-2003, 8:35 PM
Prequels? :confused:

Dark Forces is a game where you play as Kyle Katarn as a merc for the Rebellion and must do various things for them, the main one being to destroy the Dark Trooper project.

Darktroopers are robotic stormtroopers with a whole lotta fire power and destructoin!

Along the way, you get to steal the Death Star Plans (that's the mod's demo, get it at the main site now ;)), infiltrate dozens of secret Imperial Facilities using your big giant arsenal to take out any opposition yoy may will recieve, and rescue a few people and even confront a familar face (or masked face) or two...
 Solbe M'ko
05-04-2003, 7:23 PM
...and let's not forget the HUGE codpeice on the end boss!;)
 The Count
05-04-2003, 7:54 PM
Is it me, or does it piss anyone else off that so many people haven't played Dark Forces?
 Solbe M'ko
05-13-2003, 12:13 AM
QUESTION!
Will there be mirrors in DF mod? If so, do you have a way to fix that 1st person problem where you can only see the hands?
 Infinity Blade
05-13-2003, 12:39 AM
Hmmmm.... heh..... Fracman care to answer this? :D
 recombinant
05-13-2003, 1:30 AM
...let's just say we've seen some more than satisfactory results with regard to mirrors.

Whether or not the mappers are going to employ it is another issue entirely.

:D
 Fracman
05-13-2003, 3:44 PM
Exact. Mirrors are working. But don't expect lot of them since they have a great impact on the overall performance :disaprove
 recombinant
05-13-2003, 3:48 PM
Will there be mirrors in DF mod?

Out of curiosity, where were you thinking we'd use mirrors?

However, on a related topic, if anyone has played the JK2 demo, the reflective floor of the room where you duel the Reborn is AWESOME!!!

:holosid:
 Fracman
05-13-2003, 3:57 PM
Something similar also has been done in the duel map "Vader's Chamber".
 Solbe M'ko
05-13-2003, 7:47 PM
I figured you could use 'em on the floors or maybe in the john on the Ramsees Hed mission, or somethin'. Just wondering.
 MilesTeg
05-14-2003, 1:57 PM
@JediStone:
I was very close including a reflective floor into the demo level. But it turned out to look too clean... :D

Maybe we could include something similiar in another level... (DF is dirty dirty dirty ;) )
 recombinant
05-14-2003, 2:23 PM
Originally posted by MilesTeg
@JediStone:
I was very close including a reflective floor into the demo level. But it turned out to look too clean... :D

Maybe we could include something similiar in another level... (DF is dirty dirty dirty ;) )

True, but the empire is clean, clean, clean!!! :D

Hopefully we can find a place that it would fit in the game someplace. That would be SO cool (and impressive!) :thumbsup:

Oh yeah... on another side note, I created my first map last night (I'm a total mapping noob, but I thought it would be good to learn about the process since it will help me with my coding...)

Solbe M'ko
05-14-2003, 2:54 PM
This may not fit in the DF mod, but it would be cool to have a bad guy hanging on the cieling and you can see him through his reflection on the floor. Or maybe a part where you can see around corners because of a mirror.
 The_One
05-14-2003, 3:44 PM
Originally posted by Solbe M'ko
This may not fit in the DF mod, but it would be cool to have a bad guy hanging on the cieling and you can see him through his reflection on the floor. Or maybe a part where you can see around corners because of a mirror.

So you just want a random guy hanging from the ceiling?

Erm k... You go back to your hole in the ground now :p

Possibly the most ludicrous suggestion we've ever had...
 chris the cynic
05-14-2003, 5:13 PM
I think he meant the seeing someone around a corner, although he could be contending that Kyle should be deaf, and only notice Boba Fett when he looks down at the now miraculously mirrored landing pad.
 MilesTeg
05-14-2003, 5:35 PM
Originally posted by JediStone
Oh yeah... on another side note, I created my first map last night (I'm a total mapping noob, but I thought it would be good to learn about the process since it will help me with my coding...)

Oh yeah... on another side note, I created my first d3 map today (and itґs awesome!) :D

yes, I thought about mirrored surfaces for coruscant :)
 The_One
05-14-2003, 6:53 PM
Bear in mind, mirrors tend to kill the frame rate of lower end systems.

Can mirrors be incorporated into LoDs? That would be a neat way of doing it :)
 Solbe M'ko
05-14-2003, 7:25 PM
As I mentioned earlier, it may not fit in the DF mod. Geez, who pissed in your cornflakes?

Anyway, in the last mission, will those "shoot the button" puzzles be included? I suppose they would be, but still, they were a waste of time.
 recombinant
05-14-2003, 7:51 PM
weetabix. not cornflakes.

;)
 chris the cynic
05-14-2003, 7:59 PM
Just a little question: Isn't a prequel something that comes after the fact about something that came before? Wouldn't DF and JK be precursors or predecessors.
 MilesTeg
05-14-2003, 8:15 PM
The_One is right. Everything inside a mirror has to be drawn by the graphics card. So if you have 10 Stormtrooper standing on a mirrored floor, the engine will draw 20 Stormtroopers.

Itґs not that this would be impossible, but when youґre mapping something like that you have to keep that in mind and use this effect very wisely
 chris the cynic
05-14-2003, 8:43 PM
Hangers often seem to have reflective floors.
 Katarn07
05-14-2003, 8:54 PM
No mirrors. I will barely be able to run the mod, and mirrors appear as a big yellow dealy, and we don't want that, do we? (despite what I asked for Anteevy)
 ewok mercenary
05-15-2003, 5:32 AM
Isn't there any way that mirrored surfaces could be in a level but taken out by turning down the detail in the setup? There probably isn't but I would like to see them in the MOD... just not at the expense of those with lower-end systems (Like me actually...).
 MilesTeg
05-15-2003, 7:15 AM
There are ways to deal with the performancedrop mirrors generate and if we use mirrors, we will try to keep it playable on low-end systems.

Everything reflected will have the exact amount of polygons of the original. So if you lower the LOD in the games prefences it will increase performance dramatically.

Also if a mirror is in a separate room we can use areaportals and hint brushes to let the engine only draw this one room.

btw: We wonґt let you fight 10 Stormtroopers in a mirrored room... (maybe just 2 Dark Trooper :D )

When it comes to this "1st person shows not up in the mirror"-bug - i have never noticed it, but as far as we only use mirrored floors it wouldnґt be that important.
 Fracman
05-15-2003, 2:20 PM
The best way is to use the detailed shader flag with the mirrors, that makes sense, but currently does not work.
Swithing the mirror on and off using detailed shader setting now works fine, I simply copied the other of my two shader files by accident ;-)

So you'll have to reduce LOD (geometric quality setting)
unless we can tell something else. if your perfomance is still too low.

Watch this:
http://www.synthzone.com/~mschreier/df/misc/mirror_gammo.jpg)
Gammo: Who is the ugliest in the whole universe?
Mirror: That's Jabba, Slimo!!!
Mirror fades out, leaving a stunned Gammorean...
http://www.synthzone.com/~mschreier/df/misc/mirror_gammo2.jpg)
 recombinant
05-15-2003, 2:37 PM
...looks way better with the mirror. too bad people with slow systems will miss out if we use them in our maps.
 The Count
05-16-2003, 1:42 PM
Originally posted by Solbe M'ko
As I mentioned earlier, it may not fit in the DF mod. Geez, who pissed in your cornflakes?

Anyway, in the last mission, will those "shoot the button" puzzles be included? I suppose they would be, but still, they were a waste of time.

Well after slagging off the Demo and referring it as just the as graphically primitive as the original Dark Forces, you can hardly expect to be treated like royalty.
 Fracman
05-16-2003, 2:34 PM
Solbe M'ko:
Shootable buttons are possible of course!
But as already mentionned here ore in other threads before, not all puzzles can be recreated exactly like in DF.

Count_D00ku:
If you don't like our mod, you're free to leave this forum! If not, you're welcome to the discussions, but please STOP TALKING DISRESPECTFULLY!!! :(

Like many others in the team I have spent already lot of time recreating the textures and drawing skins.
If the demo looks similar to (but no way exactly like!) DF, then thanks a lot for your compliments because this was indeed intended. :p
But: the overall quality of the DFMOD is much better than of the original DF, for many reasons: higher display and textures resolution, shaders, real 3D objects, etc. ...
To give an example, I put both together both versions of the texture IWDHUGEZ in the following image. This texture is being used on outside of the buildings in the demo level.
http://www.synthzone.com/~mschreier/df/misc/iwdhugez_compare.jpg) (365kB)
To the left, the 4x resized DF texture and to the right the recreated one for DFMOF. As you can see, we did not simply use just the DF textures!

The demo is only a preview, the future levels - as i have seen them so far - are really breathtaking. :)
Simply be patient until we release the DFMOD. ;)

And before you even dare to judge the DFMOD on your own computer, please make sure you have the following settings:

* GL Extensions: On
* Video Mode: 1024x768 (or greater)
* Color Depth: 32-Bit
* Full Screen: On
* Geometric Detail: High
* Texture Detail: Very High
* Texture Quality: 32-Bit
* Detailed Shaders: On

Count_D00ku:
If you can't set these settings because you don't have a computer that is powerful enough, than really shame on you!!! :mad:
 The Count
05-16-2003, 3:27 PM
Originally posted by Fracman
Solbe M'ko:
Shootable buttons are possible of course!
But as already mentionned here ore in other threads before, not all puzzles can be recreated exactly like in DF.

Count_D00ku:
If you don't like our mod, you're free to leave this forum! If not, you're welcome to the discussions, but please STOP TALKING DISRESPECTFULLY!!! :(

Like many others in the team I have spent already lot of time recreating the textures and drawing skins.
If the demo looks similar to (but no way exactly like!) DF, then thanks a lot for your compliments because this was indeed intended. :p
But: the overall quality of the DFMOD is much better than of the original DF, for many reasons: higher display and textures resolution, shaders, real 3D objects, etc. ...
To give an example, I put both together both versions of the texture IWDHUGEZ in the following image. This texture is being used on outside of the buildings in the demo level.
http://www.synthzone.com/~mschreier/df/misc/iwdhugez_compare.jpg) (365kB)
To the left, the 4x resized DF texture and to the right the recreated one for DFMOF. As you can see, we did not simply use just the DF textures!

The demo is only a preview, the future levels - as i have seen them so far - are really breathtaking. :)
Simply be patient until we release the DFMOD. ;)

And before you even dare to judge the DFMOD on your own computer, please make sure you have the following settings:

* GL Extensions: On
* Video Mode: 1024x768 (or greater)
* Color Depth: 32-Bit
* Full Screen: On
* Geometric Detail: High
* Texture Detail: Very High
* Texture Quality: 32-Bit
* Detailed Shaders: On

Count_D00ku:
If you can't set these settings because you don't have a computer that is powerful enough, than really shame on you!!! :mad:

Francman, I have no idea what you are talking about, I never said I did not like your MOD infact I was defending your MOD, and I wasn't speaking to anyone in a disrespectful manner where did you get this, I was stating to Solbe M'ko if he is going to criticise this MOD and post a wierd suggestion he can hardly expect a civilised response from Team Members, and about my Computer not being powerful enough again I have not got a clue what you are talking about!
 Fracman
05-16-2003, 3:56 PM
Heh Count_D00Ku, sorry, you're right, i did not read carefully enough your post. Please apologise.
:explode:

What I replied accidentally specially to your attention is then valid only for Solbe M'ko... :D

But my comments about the game quality settings are still valid for everyone.
 recombinant
05-16-2003, 5:08 PM
Yes... count_d00ku's comments were directed toward Solbe M'ko, not us, Fracman.

So hopefully we're all on the same page now.

And to appease Solbe's question about shootable objects, Fracman created a really cool test map with shootable objects, so I know it's possible.

Perhaps Fracman or MilesTeg can comment on whether shootable objects can be used as triggers in JK2MP...

Katarn07
05-16-2003, 5:09 PM
I'll enjoy it anyways, even when its lagging! :p

The demo doesn't work for me anymore without lagging every two seconds... :( I think I'll reinstall JO and maybe that'll help. If not, I'm in BIG trouble. I'll still visit here to moan to you guys about stuff, but it really won't pertain to me.
 recombinant
05-16-2003, 5:12 PM
Originally posted by Katarn07
The demo doesn't work for me anymore without lagging every two seconds... :( I think I'll reinstall JO and maybe that'll help. If not, I'm in BIG trouble.

You might want to try defragging your drive as well, if you haven't already.

Just a suggestion.

Fracman
05-16-2003, 5:25 PM
Katarn07 wrote:
The demo doesn't work for me anymore without lagging every two seconds... I think I'll reinstall JO and maybe that'll help. If not, I'm in BIG trouble.

Do you have installed some performance or temperature measuring tools that work every 2s?
E.g. the Task Manager in NT/2000/XP may halt the system for a very short period each time it's got process time.
 Katarn07
05-16-2003, 5:31 PM
All background tasks are shut down, with only systray and explorer left.

My PC has low specs. My 3D card is a TNT2... :( And the rest is just as bad, if not worse. That is why I am getting JA and KotOR for XBOX. (and why I'm glad you are still doing DF mod for JO!)
 Fracman
05-16-2003, 5:38 PM
Perhaps you remember what you modified between JO_no_lag and JO_lagging? Installed some new software, vga drivers, etc.?
Virus scanner?
 The_One
05-16-2003, 6:11 PM
Maybe you should just format and start over...

I'm planning an uber upgrade in the Summer, ready for the likes of Half Life 2 and Doom 3 :D
 reaper1576
05-16-2003, 6:16 PM
Originally posted by Katarn07
I'll enjoy it anyways, even when its lagging! :p

The demo doesn't work for me anymore without lagging every two seconds... :( I think I'll reinstall JO and maybe that'll help. If not, I'm in BIG trouble. I'll still visit here to moan to you guys about stuff, but it really won't pertain to me.

Scan disk
Defrag with diskeeper
update your drivers mobo/sound/vid card
Check all your bios setting diable stuff what you doing need ie com2

Disable theses services

messenger
automatic updates
Background Intelligent Transfer Service
ClipBook
Indexing Service
Performance Logs and Alerts
Secondary Logon
QoS RSVP
Remote Registry
Smart card
Smart Card Helper
Telnet

Only if you know what your doing

Update your mobo bios
Update your vid bios
 The Count
05-16-2003, 7:15 PM
Originally posted by The_One
Maybe you should just format and start over...

I'm planning an uber upgrade in the Summer, ready for the likes of Half Life 2 and Doom 3 :D

Not to sound rude, (Don't want another nasty post from Francman, BTW simple mistake Francman appology accepted) but wouldn't it be better to upgrade just before Doom III and Half Life 2 make their appearances on the market as then you can get a better card for the same price you will pay over the Summer?
 Fracman
05-16-2003, 8:29 PM
Heh, COunt_D00ku, no worry :rolleyes:

Upgrades are mostly a manner of time and money.
This is a vicious circle... at the time you order or buy a new card, e.g. the so called latest model available, it is already outdated.
If you always want the newest, you'd have spend huge amount of money or you'll wait endless since there is always a new one announced :(
The best solution is indeed to buy the best available parts on the market at exactly the moment you really need them, not before, not later ;)
 Katarn07
05-17-2003, 10:41 AM
I know nothing about PCs and if I give it to the guy who built it, I won't get it back for 3 months like when it stopped working over the summer.

I reinstalled and had the settings down all the way, and it ran fine. Graphics weren't clean and crisp, but they still outdid the original DF's.

One complaint. The sky was just a big yellow thing. Which setting do I have to crank up for the sky to reappear?
 Fracman
05-17-2003, 10:53 AM
Katarn07 wrote:
The sky was just a big yellow thing. Which setting do I have to crank up for the sky to reappear?
It's the fastsky setting in the cfg file i presume:
seta r_fastsky "0"

About the crisp graphics... DF had a 256 color palette... there could simply be no smooth graphics :D
Did you set textures quality to extra high? Only then the small details of them are visible :cool:
 Katarn07
05-17-2003, 6:02 PM
Umm, I'm kinda confused about that.

All the settings in the options are set to low, excluding the resolution which is at 800x600 (that's almost the lowest, I know... :p ) Which one should I crank up for the sky textures to show up?

Here is an example as to what I am talking about.

I was just having some fun messing with a half dozen Desann's in the DS Throne Room, but the textures out the windows weren't there. It was just yellow... :confused:
 Fracman
05-18-2003, 6:44 AM
The fastsky setting i mentionned above is not available in the menu, you would have to edit your .cfg file manually, but i don't recommend that actually. The fastsky setting may be affected by your video settings aswell.

Which "DS Throne room" is it exactly?
I need you to give me the exact map name, please.
If it is a standard JO Multiplayer map, then the name that appears in the list.
If it is a custom made map, then the PK3or ZIP name, or even better the link where i can download it from.

The JO "Death Star" map is fine, also the "Emperors Throne Room" custom map.
The custom map "DimSide Palace" of the -- clan shows several missing textures, but I had never pure yellow windows.
Perhaps you could just post a screenshot of what happens on your machine.
 Katarn07
05-18-2003, 11:22 AM
Its Jo's standard MP map.

ffa_deathstar

But is the sky not showing up cause I am playing it in SP mode (so I can spawn in the bad guys)?
 Fracman
05-18-2003, 1:08 PM
Certainly!!! You shall not play MP maps in SP mode and vice-versa.
Spawn functions don't exist, the entities and shaders are sometimes totally different. :rolleyes:
I tried myself to load the DeathStar map in SP mode to see what happens. I landed in the jail section. The doors and elevators did not work and one window had a stone wall...
 Katarn07
05-18-2003, 3:02 PM
Ahhh, oh well. I can live without the sky textures than. My MP ain't working properly, so I just spawn stuff into good maps.

I tried SP levels, and the sky is there. I see what my mistake was now. Oh well, no problem. :p
Page: 1 of 1