Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Some Jedi Academy Info For You From Raven

Page: 1 of 2
 Kenn Hoekstra
04-28-2003, 4:54 PM
Here's some info straight from Raven/LucasArts/Activision about the upcoming Jedi Academy game. Enjoy...

Lightsaber – The player will start with a lightsaber he creates choosing from different hilts and blade colors. The player will be able to use the lightsaber for the entire game, eventually earning the right to wield a saber staff, or one lightsaber in each hand. A full range weapons and Force Powers is also available to the player, as in Jedi Outcast.

Player Character – As the player, you get to create a custom Jedi character to play through the game with, choosing from hundreds of potential combinations. As a student at the Jedi Academy, you will train under Luke Skywalker and Kyle Katarn.

Timeline – The game takes place one year after the events of Jedi Outcast; fourteen years after A New Hope.

Game Engine – Jedi Academy uses a heavily modified version of id Software’s Quake III: Team Arena engine. New features added since Jedi Outcast are:

· Character customization system - allows players to create their own Jedi in both SP and MP (estimating 2160 combinations currently)
· Ghoul II enhancements including the Ghoul infinite Model modification system - Allows for modular model enhancements, custom colorization, and expanded animation support
· New ICARUS II scripting system for Single player and Multiplayer. Now allows for scripted events in multiplayer matches.
· New map creation tools allowing for models to be used as in world objects instead of just textures. Creates richer 3-D environments.
· New non-linear mission progression system.
· Raven’s ARIOCHE terrain system.
· Portal skies
· Rag doll skeletal system
· Enhanced vehicle system. Allows for new ride-able vehicles in addition to previous drive-able ones
· Character and vehicle enhancements designed to enable expanded mod support. Modders will be able to design their own Jedi, character outfits, sabers, etc.

Development – Jedi Academy is being developed by Raven Software in conjunction with LucasArts and Activision. LucasArts is publishing and distributing the game in North America. Activision is distributing the game in all non-North American territories.

There ye be...
 LilDrumLad
04-28-2003, 5:11 PM
Sounds pretty cool.
 wardz
04-28-2003, 5:14 PM
Bling Bling baby.

I can't wait to see a video of this game...

-W
 Prime
04-28-2003, 5:18 PM
Originally posted by wardz
Bling Bling baby.

I can't wait to see a video of this game...

-W Yep, a preview clip would be sweet!
 StormHammer
04-28-2003, 5:22 PM
Thanks for the information, Kenn. :) Just a few questions based on your info...

Originally posted by Kenn Hoekstra
· Ghoul II enhancements including the Ghoul infinite Model modification system - Allows for modular model enhancements, custom colorization, and expanded animation support

Does this mean that things like backpacks/weapons etc., could be bolted onto characters as well, and included for view from 3rd person this time around?

· New map creation tools allowing for models to be used as in world objects instead of just textures. Creates richer 3-D environments.

Which external 3D model programs are the most compatible, and how easy is it to integrate these models into the level design?

· Rag doll skeletal system

Does this mean we will see full rag-doll death effects, similar to UT2K3?

· Enhanced vehicle system. Allows for new ride-able vehicles in addition to previous drive-able ones

Great news this is. Ride a Taun Taun I must. ;)

PS. Did the Q4 guys like the fan pic I did? :D
 razorace
04-28-2003, 5:35 PM
Uh, if "Kenn" is who he claims to be, he needs to get the special Raven tag from the forum admins. Otherwise, people aren't going to beleive him.
 Jolts
04-28-2003, 5:47 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

storm, I'm guessing that means you can import/export .obj's or .dxf into radiant or from radiant now making it possible to use any 3d package like 3dsmax/maya/softimage. Similar to what you can do with doom3.

But what about ragdoll on vehicles, what about improved shaders, pixel shading, bump mapping and blah blah blah's? And the facial animation system same as sof2?
 ASk
04-28-2003, 5:58 PM
Sorry "Kenn", but you are a definite fake.

Next time, please try to use believable details. Such as email.

Case is closed, this topic should too.
 StormHammer
04-28-2003, 6:02 PM
Originally posted by Jolts
But what about ragdoll on vehicles, what about improved shaders, pixel shading, bump mapping and blah blah blah's? And the facial animation system same as sof2?

Yes...I thought SOF2's facial animations were much better than JO's...and I would hope they've tweaked it and implemented it into JA.

All these questions...and no answers likely at the moment...
 PrimoSidone
04-28-2003, 6:27 PM
So when will it be done u guys think????

When can i buy JA?
 Kenn Hoekstra
04-28-2003, 6:30 PM
This is, indeed, me. I was formerly registered as "The KISS Army," but I decided to re-register as Kenn Hoekstra, the same name I use on Raven's official forums as well as most other message boards.

My e-mail address is, as always, khoekstra@ravensoft.com, but because I was formerly registered as The KISS Army, I had to use my other address, which is Raven's corporate e-mail address, www@ravensoft.com. Both come to my inbox.

I've posted this same informational message on the official Raven forums as a sticky topic at http://forums.ravensoft.com) as well as in the forums of our fan sites at http://raven-games.com) and http://www.ravengames.com).

That is all...
 Kenn Hoekstra
04-28-2003, 6:35 PM
http://forums.ravensoft.com/ib/ikonboard.pl?;act=ST;f=21;t=20309)

The "official" announcement on our (Raven's) forums...
 StormHammer
04-28-2003, 6:38 PM
Originally posted by ASk
Sorry "Kenn", but you are a definite fake.

Next time, please try to use believable details. Such as email.

Case is closed, this topic should too.

As you can see by Kenn's last post...you sir, are incorrect. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the clarification, Kenn. ;)

*grumbles about doubting Thomas*
 ASk
04-28-2003, 6:42 PM
:(
So I've been made a fool :mad:

/me turns watch dog mode off

I should really stop drinking caffeine

Rag doll physics is nice, please tell me that you will also provide a good means of accessing them via code :)
 Andy867
04-28-2003, 6:49 PM
Through email responses and our IP Logging system, I can definitely guarantee that Kenn is who he says he is. Thanks for the info Kenn, the GameSpy interview and the note about the RavenSoft Thread has been added to the frontpage news.
 Blademaster_109
04-28-2003, 7:05 PM
Originally posted by Prime
Yep, a preview clip would be sweet!

I totaly agree, hopefully after the E3
 HertogJan
04-28-2003, 7:32 PM
WOOHOOO!! New info :) I really like it when developers come to forums :) I really hope there are going to be UT2k3 like ragdoll physics :)

Raven’s ARIOCHE terrain system

I dunno, is that the system used for the random mission generator?? I sure hope so :D Couldn't find more info on ARIOCHE though, although it seems to be in SofII too...

Oh my god can't wait for more info from E3 :D

Thanks again!

PS Make this thread sticky plz :)
 Blademaster_109
04-28-2003, 7:39 PM
don't mean to be rude but thats no new info. i also belong to the raven boards and that info has been up for a while. i was going to post but some one like lematous might flame for me posting something twice.
 The Count
04-28-2003, 7:42 PM
Ask next time I don't think you should be so hasty to accuse someone if they are or aren't from Raven, the developers might get discouraged next time from posting if people are going to denounce their announcements as fake and seeing as your a moderator you should know better!
 Blademaster_109
04-28-2003, 7:45 PM
who is the developer how can u tell? cause i got questions for him/her?
 Kenn Hoekstra
04-28-2003, 8:29 PM
We plan to release info like this on a semi-regular basis. Maybe every few weeks, etc.

I'll try to let the mods know in advance in the event you want to make it a sticky topic.

Stay tuned for more...
 StormHammer
04-28-2003, 8:41 PM
Originally posted by Kenn Hoekstra
We plan to release info like this on a semi-regular basis. Maybe every few weeks, etc.

That sounds great. :thumbsup: I'm sure everyone would appreciate that, Kenn.
 Taos
04-28-2003, 9:04 PM
Originally posted by Blademaster_109
i was going to post but some one like lematous might flame for me posting something twice.

Flame you? o.O That's a pretty serious accusasion. As one of the moderators of this forum it is my job to make sure people follow forum rules ie. no double posting, staying on topic and making sure threads are placed in the correct forum. Those are only some of my duties.

I'm sorry you feel in some way I'm flaming you, but really I'm only doing my job.
 Andy867
04-28-2003, 9:17 PM
Hey Kenn, were you able to check your PM inbox about the matter of Identity, I believe I called the PM Name Change or something along those lines, if so, did you want to go with my suggestion. Like I said, let myself or administrator know of your decision.
 razorace
04-28-2003, 10:34 PM
Thanks for the varification Kenn, it's just that the feature list you posted is impressive enought to not be immediately believeable. If this feature list actually makes it to the final game, I'll be very impressive.
 recombinant
04-29-2003, 2:06 AM
The same information was posted in the Raven forums, and I shall post the same reply I posted there....

Question from a MOD team...

· Character and vehicle enhancements designed to enable expanded mod support. Modders will be able to design their own Jedi, character outfits, sabers, etc.

But does this mean that MOD teams will be able to create new skeletons & animations, or is it going to be more of the same (i.e. all new models based on some revised form of _humanoid.gla)?

Our team has modelers chomping at the bit to create Kell Dragons & Dianogas, etc. for our MOD and it would be awesome to get this kind of support from Raven.

On another topic...

How does the release of Jedi Academy bode for the release of a Single Player SDK (even if it's for Jedi Outcast)?

Thanks!

:lsduel:
 Shaggy1984
04-29-2003, 5:21 AM
Will you be able to save your customised character's appearence in multiplayer as you can force power combinations. I can imagine that with the huge amount of customisation that you can do it would become fairly hectic if you were wanting to change between specific customisations that you like without having the ability to save set customisations.
 SPY_jmr1
04-29-2003, 5:53 AM
Hi everyone, SPY here...

All this info is great to my ears, and I was wondering about the 'Rag doll skeletal system', and if we could get some details about this, if its allowed ;)

(also, i've had Kenn's user group changed over to the Raven group by a admin (Thx Rhett! :D) so we don't have any more mixups.)
 PrimoSidone
04-29-2003, 6:23 AM
So kenn look into ur glass ball and tell us when нt MAY be realeased
 SPY_jmr1
04-29-2003, 3:30 PM
When its done...

I think you'll find the programers have NO control over when its released... If i'm mistaken, please prove me wrong.
 PrimoSidone
04-29-2003, 3:33 PM
its Q2, so u can GueSS when its gonna be out....
 recombinant
04-29-2003, 3:37 PM
It's scheduled for a Fall 2003 release:

http://www.lucasarts.com/products/jediacademy/features.htm)

Hope This Helps!

:D
 Solo4114
04-29-2003, 4:15 PM
Kenn,

Thanks for the news. Nice to see Raven taking an active role in keeping the community in the loop.

A couple of quick questions.

1.) What ability will modders have to edit animations?

2.) Any further word on the "extra" game mode for multiplayer? Some of us are hoping for class-based objective focused gameplay. (not to betray my own preferences, but what the hell. :) )

3.) What's the word on how the sabre styles will break down and how balancing the various stances and such will work? Theoretically a double-bladed or dual-wielding sabreist will be a VERY formidable opponent. Enough so that a single sabre user might not be able to beat them. The more detail you can provide on how sabres will work, the better.

4.) Will the guns be identical to JO? Will the operate identically (IE: repeater is back, but its just a reapeater, not a heavy repeater). Any details you can provide are appreciated. Some of us are also hoping for a more star warsy feel to the guns (less explosives, more blasters -- that sort of thing).

5.) What kind of details can you give us on the force powers?

Anyway, thanks again for the info. :) I recognize you won't be able to answer a lot of these questions, either due to legal restrictions or due to the game still being in production. PM me if you'd prefer to respond privately to any of this, by the way.
 PrimoSidone
04-29-2003, 6:26 PM
Whats FALL?? is it like winter?
 Andy867
04-29-2003, 6:37 PM
Fall is Q3 of the calendar year, so probably early august to mid september would be an educated guess on when they will release it.
 PrimoSidone
04-29-2003, 6:39 PM
darn it , i wanted so play it on my summer vacation
 razorace
05-01-2003, 5:42 AM
Wait a second, he said "Rag Doll Skeletal System"....not "Rag Doll Physics System".

What the hell is a "Rag Doll Skeletal System"? That could mean anything...
 HertogJan
05-01-2003, 6:03 AM
Originally posted by Andy867
Fall is Q3 of the calendar year, so probably early august to mid september would be an educated guess on when they will release it.

Eh... Fall is from 21 september to 21 december... But I think we'll be given a release date in the summer or something...
 PrimoSidone
05-01-2003, 7:16 AM
Cheeseheads blieve too much :D

Happy queens day Jan
 Andy867
05-01-2003, 8:39 AM
Originally posted by HertogJan
... I think we'll be given a release date in the summer or something...

I don't think so, not with LucasArts confirming in their Press Info as aiming for a Fall Release, which is where I've gotten my info.
 Pedro The Hutt
05-01-2003, 11:28 AM
Doesn't stop them from giving a more precise release date during the summer though ^^
 HertogJan
05-01-2003, 12:07 PM
There was a precize release date for JO too right? I believe is was like 14 or 18 March 2002...

They will have to give us an exact date sometime, but they won't do it too soon, probably not untill the game's gone gold!
 SPY_jmr1
05-01-2003, 4:18 PM
Guys, guys, guys, THIS IS NOT THE PLACE TO DO THIS...

This thread is NOT for release date debating... please, no more, or it'll be removed...

Let me say this AGAIN...

RAVEN has no control over when its released...
 The_One
05-01-2003, 6:18 PM
Yes, can you divulge any information on the possible release of a Single Player SDK for Jedi Academy, or even JKII, with the release of JA just round the corner?
 Blademaster_109
05-04-2003, 2:47 PM
all we have to do is wait for E3, to get some real good info and a movie.
 PrimoSidone
05-04-2003, 9:04 PM
When is e3?
 Wacky_Baccy
05-05-2003, 3:24 AM
Posted by PromoSidone
When is e3? 14th to the 16th of May :)

[ E3 Official site ] (http://www.e3expo.com)
 PrimoSidone
05-05-2003, 7:50 AM
Hmmmmm will it be the matrix reloaded or the e3 hmmmm:rolleyes:
 razorace
05-05-2003, 8:07 AM
Well, this will make it easier; E3 isn't for the general public.
 Pedro The Hutt
05-05-2003, 10:19 AM
Indeed, you generally speaking need to be part of either the gaming industry or the gaming press to be able to get in. And ofcourse carry one of those desired passes XD
Page: 1 of 2