Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Lightsaber sound

Page: 1 of 1
 Keiran Halcyon
04-16-2003, 1:49 PM
This may have already included on the game, but i'll ask for it anyway.

Well since you can customize you character and saber color and hilt i thought it would be nice to choose your own saber hum (with on/off sounds too). There are several hummings in the movies and i think it would be a cool feature.

At least, light-staff could sound different...

Just a suggestion....
 StormHammer
04-16-2003, 2:04 PM
I can't really see them doing personalised saber sounds for the game - the weapons use the same tech, so they should sound similar, IMHO.

Having said that, the dualstaff does have a bit more of a buzz-saw sound to it (at least when twirled by Maul in Episode I), and I'm sure the devs will try to get any distinctive sounds into the game.

Personalised saber sounds seems a bit overkill to me, though.
 JEDI OUTCAST
04-16-2003, 5:59 PM
that will be there for people to edit. but you need the stuff to do it.:D
 Solo4114
04-16-2003, 7:42 PM
Maybe they could provide the possibility of modding your own sabre to have different sounds, but only ship the game with, say, three or four soundsets for sabres. It'd be overkill, yeah, but it could be fun. :) Then again, I shudder to think about the obvious next step: Homer Simpson and South Park sounding sabres. >Solo4114 swings sabre -- "OW!! MY ASS!!" is heard instead of the familiar hum.<
 StormHammer
04-16-2003, 7:51 PM
Originally posted by Solo4114
Then again, I shudder to think about the obvious next step: Homer Simpson and South Park sounding sabres. >Solo4114 swings sabre -- "OW!! MY ASS!!" is heard instead of the familiar hum.<

That definitely puts me off the idea. :barf:
 SithLord13
04-16-2003, 7:58 PM
saber sounds hmmmmmm??:confused:
 t3rr0r
04-16-2003, 8:01 PM
all i really want are high hums and low hums depending on the colour [like i said before, high = cool colours (greens, blues, purples) and low = warm colours (reds, oranges, yellows)].
 SithLord13
04-16-2003, 8:56 PM
sounds should depend on the stances ;)
 Iblis Reborn
04-16-2003, 9:06 PM
Originally posted by SithLord13
sounds should depend on the stances ;)

actually i really like that idea
it would make the fight more interesting cause you would be able to figure out what styles ppl are using by the sound
 SithLord13
04-16-2003, 9:23 PM
Originally posted by Iblis Reborn
actually i really like that idea
it would make the fight more interesting cause you would be able to figure out what styles ppl are using by the sound

Most agreed any one else :)
 Tyler_Durden
04-17-2003, 5:06 AM
Well even if the sounds we want are not in the game then I will be sure to modify it so that the sounds are more distinctive and accurate. In a few weeks i'm gonna go and buy a dvd rom for my pc which will allow me to rip the sounds off the dvds. I actually (painstakingly) created a ,pk3 file which i use right now that has different saber hums for each of the sabers, the clash sounds are a good mix of episode 1/2, and classic trilogy sounds. The only thing is that they were ripped off .avi and .asf files, so the quality could be better.

But if you want to edit sounds i recommend getting cool edit pro. It allows you to get just the soundtrack from the movies and let's you trim it just right so that you get exactly the sound you want - right down to the millisecond. The one thing i'm trying to figure out is how to eliminate background noise and music so as to get the sound itself. But i'm going on and on here, so just be rest assured that this game will indeed have a mod in which the sounds are accurately portrayed if the developers use anything different.
 Proto
04-17-2003, 8:32 AM
Here's my attempt of creating JO saber sounds mod (http://proto_fc.w.interia.pl/sabersound.pk3). Those are sounds ripped mostly from AotC DVD, but there are also few sounds from TPM. I find fighting with them more enjoyable :).

IMO the original saber sounds should be corrected in JA. And I don't think there's a need of making separate sounds for each color/stance. Just make it sound right :D.
 Prime
04-17-2003, 3:14 PM
Yeah, there are a lot of mods out there right now that alter saber sounds, but it would be nice to at least have a few sets to choose from with various pitches.
 Tyler_Durden
04-18-2003, 4:30 AM
Well when the game comes out i'll be sure to check out the sounds and such. But yeah all i need is a few saber hums and i can just stretch out the sound to make it higher or lower. No problem
 happydan
04-18-2003, 7:41 AM
ralph wiggum sound: "i bent my wookie!"
 SlapNut
04-18-2003, 8:12 AM
light staff? is that darth mauls saber?
 SithLord13
04-18-2003, 8:47 AM
Originally posted by SlapNut
light staff? is that darth mauls saber? well yes and its also the offical Sith saber as far as i know :D
 SithLord13
04-18-2003, 8:49 AM
Originally posted by happydan
ralph wiggum sound: "i bent my wookie!" HAHAHAHAHAHAHA that was a great episode :p
 Toa Tahu
04-18-2003, 11:18 AM
Actually,light-wise,White is the hottest colour,followed by blue,and goes down the list as how you'd think it'd go up!Red is actually the coolest colour,light-wise!Believe it or not,this is true,I read in an anstronomer's book.

Anyway,I'd prefer if they don't tinker with the sounds.It'd be overkill,as SH said earlier.(was it Sh?Not sure...)
 Prime
04-18-2003, 4:54 PM
ralph wiggum sound: "i bent my wookie!" And it's in its original packaging!!
 Master_Payne
04-18-2003, 5:55 PM
I think the sound may vary(?) acording to its light spectrum, blue is soft, red is higher on sound scale, just compare luke's anh light blue saber, yoda's green and dooku's, I thing just 3 sounds, soft, medium, hard sounds thats enough for me, or just 2, one aplicable to "sith colors" and one for "jedi colors", of course aonly applicable to movies cause one use any color independent(?) to force side affinity(?).

anyways I hope JA uses the same .pk3 files easily edited with winzip, that way you use any sound you want. (also edit textures, in my JO there's several textures that say "Payne, was here", including bad npc's parts)
 happydan
04-18-2003, 9:54 PM
actually, i remember lucas or someone was talking about how mauls saber sounds alot dirtier than the jedi ones, so that he appeared more menacing. they explained it away that its all in the forging of sith saber crystals, which are fuelled through hate and anger. id guess its the same reason why dookus is so down and dirty, and why yodas is a higher buzz, due to the smaller components.
 Elliot334
04-18-2003, 11:53 PM
Has anyone here played the SaberBattleX mod for JK or MOTS? Because the light staff sounds in there are awsome.

The maker ripped them from the DVD, but you can't tell at all. You would swear he got them from the Lucas Sound Labs.
 Tyler_Durden
04-19-2003, 7:01 AM
Yeah that mod was pretty sweet. It added a lot to the JK experience, too bad it didn't work in first person perspective though, otherwise i would still be playing that game. Hey maybe someone can make a mod using the JK2 style for JK1, then that would be totally awesome. But yeah anyways, as far as the sounds are concerned, i believe it's really all about personal preference. Everyone has a favorite sound and no two are alike.
 Keiran Halcyon
04-24-2003, 5:01 PM
I did not meant personalised sounds like adding what you want, but sets of sounds (like for example the voices in Baldur's Gate series characters) Speaking of it i hope this feature also is on the game (i'm sure it will, but i dont want a rodian speaking like a human...:D )
 Prime
04-24-2003, 5:16 PM
Originally posted by Keiran Halcyon
I did not meant personalised sounds like adding what you want, but sets of sounds (like for example the voices in Baldur's Gate series characters) Speaking of it i hope this feature also is on the game (i'm sure it will, but i dont want a rodian speaking like a human...:D ) This is what I was thinking about too. I'm sure they have something along these lines.
 Pedro The Hutt
04-24-2003, 5:39 PM
(In my opinion saber sounds differing on stance doesn't sound realistic, do you hear Qui-Gon's saber hum differently when he holds it differently? don't think so o.o)
 Iblis Reborn
04-24-2003, 6:46 PM
Originally posted by Pedro The Hutt
(In my opinion saber sounds differing on stance doesn't sound realistic, do you hear Qui-Gon's saber hum differently when he holds it differently? don't think so o.o)

if the hum comes from the blade itself then wouldnt a change in the angle change the frequency a bit?
 Pedro The Hutt
04-24-2003, 8:42 PM
Possibly, but it would barely be notice-able. it would be like saying that a car standing still on a slope would make a different noise than it standing still on a level surface. It's noise would pretty much be the same all the time I think, it just make the "whum" noises because it's position changes rapidly and you get such an effect when you swing things about, I'd say take anything that makes a revving/humming noise and swing it, you'll see what I mean XD
 t3rr0r
04-24-2003, 9:36 PM
doppler effect. werd.
 Iblis Reborn
04-25-2003, 5:59 AM
when vader is pointing his saber in lukes face when hes trying to freeze him the pitch gets pretty high
 happydan
04-25-2003, 11:18 AM
did you guys know the humming sound comes from an old film projector that lucas used to load during a summer job as a kid?
 Prime
04-25-2003, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Iblis Reborn
if the hum comes from the blade itself then wouldnt a change in the angle change the frequency a bit? ** Prime dusts off his old physics degree **

The angle that the lightsaber is being held will not affect the hum you hear. The Doppler Effect is the result of relative movement between the sound's source and the listener. This is due to the rate that the sound waves reach you. Let me give a Star Wars example:

Imagine Darth Vader standing there with his lightsaber on and humming away. It has a certain frequency that you hear. Now Darth comes torwards you menacingly. Because this is the worst possible situation you can be in and thus so freakin' scared, you don't notice that the hum of his saber now sounds higher. Now that you are running as fast as you can away from Vader, he stops and again you don't notice that the hum of the saber sounds lower than it did before, because you are soiling your pants at this point.

So why is this? Because when Vader is moving towards you when you are standing still, the time between each soundwave reaching you is shortened. As a result, the hum sounds higher than it did before. As you run away from a stationary Vader, the time between each soundwave is now greater, making the hum sound lower. This is the same effect that happens when an ambulance with the siren on drives by.

So the angle that the lightsaber is held will make no difference to the pitch of the hum you hear. :)
 Blademaster_109
04-25-2003, 8:14 PM
i think the light saber sounds were great in jo but y would u want to change them, it'll probably be on the menu button.
 happydan
04-25-2003, 11:14 PM
they werent "great", they were crap. they were weak, and not nearly loud enough, and needed more dirty low-end to them. most of the fan made ones were better attempts.
 Keiran Halcyon
04-26-2003, 7:56 AM
They weren't that bad, they sounded like Episode IV's Obi-Wan, but having the new libraries from the prequels, yes it was a small let down.
 Prime
04-26-2003, 2:03 PM
they werent "great", they were crap. they were weak, and not nearly loud enough, and needed more dirty low-end to them. most of the fan made ones were better attempts. Not loud enough? Turn down the music and turn up your speakers :)

Some of the lightsaber sounds had a deep, throaty hum. Just not Kyle's. I replaced Kyle's sound with one of the other ones, and now it sounds great.
Page: 1 of 1