Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

civilian npcs

Page: 1 of 2
 boba fett c3po
04-08-2003, 4:54 PM
dunno if its known yet so i might as wel ask it here :)

if their are gonna be any civilian npc's will we be able to ask them questions like in a rpg? (or like in the game of the phantom menace)
 Prime
04-08-2003, 5:13 PM
I sure hope there are. Then I can chop them up on my decent to the Dark Side :)
 boba fett c3po
04-08-2003, 5:19 PM
Originally posted by Prime
I sure hope there are. Then I can chop them up on my decent to the Dark Side :)
i also want couple of levels where you can just walk around in town with out peeps shooting at you or crazy dark jedi running at you :p
couple of shops their
and over their a canina which btw you can enter :D
 Deadeye
04-08-2003, 7:37 PM
It wouldn't be Star Wars if there wasn't a cantina. You hear that Raven? More cantinas please! :p

I definitely hope that some of the levels are populated with civilian NPC's. It would give the game a sense of a living universe with beings other than enemy AI waiting for you to trigger them in every room. I think MOTS did a great job of that. You had a good balance of levels that were all out military bases, where it was all badguys, and levels that were out in public.
 Khier
04-08-2003, 8:19 PM
There should definitely be some civilian NPCs, like dead-eye said it makes the level so much more alive and immersive, I did notice that after a while in JO, especially on Nar Shaddaa, there should've been some more civilian activity there, I'm sure there'll be a cantina on the Tattooine level though ;)
 Prime
04-08-2003, 9:26 PM
Originally posted by Khier Serakk
There should definitely be some civilian NPCs, like dead-eye said it makes the level so much more alive and immersive, I did notice that after a while in JO, especially on Nar Shaddaa, there should've been some more civilian activity there, I'm sure there'll be a cantina on the Tattooine level though ;) I always liked the Baron's Head level in JK with lots of homes and shops. There you had to differentiate friend from foe. NPCs can take a level to new heights.
 Hekx
04-08-2003, 10:53 PM
I haven't played JK, but I shall.

But I doubt you'll be able to talk to ALL of them. Maybe people you need to talk to.
They should 'interact' with the atmosphere though.

If I chop one of their heads off, I expect chaos and general shock from them.

If a window explodes near them, I would expect them to interact instead of standing still like a wooden table.

:D
 Prime
04-09-2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Hиkx Nтxъ
I haven't played JK, but I shall.Drop whatever you are doing and go play it!

Really, the NPCs should be there to add atmosphere, not just to talk to.
 toms
04-09-2003, 1:27 PM
other npcs in military bases would add to the stealth element as well... you couldn't kill them (unless you wanted to decend to the dark side) so you will have to find other ways to stop them running off and sounding the alarm... (stun batton, avoidance, mind trick, pull them over and stun them, choke them unconcious etc...)

they could also have useful info like codes to areas and medkits... making killing them less inconsequential.
 Prime
04-10-2003, 1:04 PM
Originally posted by toms
they could also have useful info like codes to areas and medkits... making killing them less inconsequential. I like this idea a lot :) It would be cool if you could interagate them for useful information.
 toms
04-11-2003, 12:31 PM
or just mid trick them and get them to hand over the security pass.

"you DON'T WANT that security pass, do you?" :D
 Kurgan
04-12-2003, 5:09 PM
I'd love to see something done like how it was in TPM game for the pc. "You're a no-good killer!" lol... fond memories.

Anyway, since you can go to the darkside, I would think (hope) there would be more than just droids and the occasional "good guy" you aren't suppose to kill or you lose type of thing..

I loved the NPC's in JK2, but a more expanded role for them, and more fun would be great.

Gungans? Ewoks? Ughnuaghts? Let me at 'em! ; )
 MattJedi
04-12-2003, 9:53 PM
Yeah not just humanoid species either I want to see a bunch of different characters seen in star wars.
 boinga1
04-12-2003, 10:29 PM
seeing those gay-morrean (that is, gamorrean :) ) guards call ME "no-good" was quite ironic.
 Blademaster_109
04-12-2003, 11:41 PM
Yeah i bet there will be. If u remember in jedi knight: jedi outcast u had to talk to the bar tender, and just other people. I hope there is some though.
 Kurgan
04-14-2003, 5:06 AM
Sounds like you'll just be choosing the dark/lightside based on what powers you choose in single, oh well.

But I'm sure there will be a few NPC's as there were in JK2, as pointed out. Still, those places did some a little "empty" at times, it wouldn't hurt to throw some more in, if nothing else than to see them scatter as the fighting started.

How about a few hostage situations for you to turn your "mediation skills" toward? Could be fun. ; )
 GonkH8er
04-14-2003, 5:48 AM
Heard from one of those 'sources' again....

apparently there'll be a number of civvy npcs :)
 Mex
04-14-2003, 5:51 AM
I remember when I had JK.

I killed everyone and everything, and I used a cheat to get light & dark force powers.. Then I faced Maw, and after I beat him my light force powers vanished, and it made a really creepy noise so I turned the game off.. :/ Evil

Andways, NPCs would be cool, I loved killing them in JK and everyone would call you evil and stuff... :D
 Boba Rhett
04-14-2003, 5:56 AM
Originally posted by Captain wing
Then I faced Maw, and after I beat him my light force powers vanished, and it made a really creepy noise so I turned the game off.. :/ Evil

LOL. That's great. :D JK automatically picks which side you must go to after the maw level. Making civs run away from you was great. I really missed it.
 Darth Lunatic
04-14-2003, 7:05 AM
Another great idea! Civillian NPC's were severely lacking in Jedi Knight 2. Nar Shadaa for example should have been packed with civillians! But there were none!

Remember levels in Mysteries of the Sith, Katrasi Spaceport specifically. There were people all over the place, and they'd speak to you and say things like "Are you really a Jedi?". When you'd break into their homes they'd get angry at you.

Little things like that add to the believability of the world.
It immerses the player into the world so much more imo.
 StormHammer
04-14-2003, 8:55 AM
Originally posted by Darth Lunatic
Remember levels in Mysteries of the Sith, Katrasi Spaceport specifically. There were people all over the place, and they'd speak to you and say things like "Are you really a Jedi?". When you'd break into their homes they'd get angry at you.

Little things like that add to the believability of the world.
It immerses the player into the world so much more imo.

I agree with you 100%. Having lots of alien NPCs in city/town areas is essential to give it the Star Wars feel. I don't think we need to see branching conversation trees, or anything, but it would be neat to 'use' people, like you could in Half-Life, so you could pick up clues along the way, and maybe get someone to help you.

I'd love to see a crowd scatter when all hell breaks loose... :D
 MattJedi
04-14-2003, 10:42 AM
Yeah and Blizzard made it very clear that in JO there would be jedi that help you along the way. Well I have to say I was kind of dissapointed, only one level had that and they would just die right away anyway, only two jedi helped you, three if you were lucky that the other one survived the onslaught of reborn.
 Prime
04-14-2003, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by StormHammer
I agree with you 100%. Having lots of alien NPCs in city/town areas is essential to give it the Star Wars feel. I don't think we need to see branching conversation trees, or anything, but it would be neat to 'use' people, like you could in Half-Life, so you could pick up clues along the way, and maybe get someone to help you.

I'd love to see a crowd scatter when all hell breaks loose... :D Definitely! I don't care so much about having conversations with NPCs, but I'd just like to get the impression that I am not alone in the galaxy :) I see the use of NPCs as more of an atmosphere thing. They are essentially a part of a location. I'd love to go through markets and towns like in JK.
 StormHammer
04-14-2003, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by MattJedi
Yeah and Blizzard made it very clear that in JO there would be jedi that help you along the way. Well I have to say I was kind of dissapointed, only one level had that and they would just die right away anyway, only two jedi helped you, three if you were lucky that the other one survived the onslaught of reborn.

Er...Blizzard? :confused: Methinks you mean....Raven. And yes, it was tricky keeping your Jedi allies alive...they die more quickly if you simply let them fight off enemies alone. Hopefully any allies in JA will have equal hit-points to enemies to give them more of a fighting chance.
 HertogJan
04-14-2003, 12:26 PM
Keep in mind that the Jedi you fought with in the Jedi Academy in JO were only padawans, no match for a force injected reborn dark jediwannabe :D

Luckily for them, there's an ьberjedi called Kyle around to save the day! ;)
 Blademaster_109
04-14-2003, 6:54 PM
i agree with having ur fellow jedi helpers having the same life as the one u fight.
 coupes.
04-14-2003, 8:25 PM
My guess is you'll probably fight alongside of Kyle...

i agree about the civs, JO felt so empty sometimes, especially nar shadaa and bespin, i mean you could hear the wind...
 Blademaster_109
04-14-2003, 9:27 PM
or u could fight by luke. i hope that if u decided to turn to the dark side on the last mission u could turn on him.

:lsduel: - hah no die kyle. Dieeeee.
 coupes.
04-14-2003, 9:38 PM
i thought about that too, but it would mean that in order to beat the game you would have to kill him, and it is very unlikely...
 Kurgan
04-15-2003, 6:56 PM
This probably won't happen, but it would be funny if they made a few jokes about Kyle's "Uber-ness" in JKA.

You know, like you and he go out on a training mission, you encounter some guys you're having trouble with, so he totally wastes them all easily with his l33tn3ss, and you're all wowed and stuff.. and he's like "yep, yep.... someday with practice you might be this good"

; )

Or for example he is fighting some guy who he can't beat in a saber duel, so he whips out a rocket launcher and blows him away while shooting him full of lightning and gripping him over the edge, then says something like "You didn't see me do that young Padawan... heh, heh"

It'd be funny anyway. I hope they don't just make him a regular joe who gets killed easily and then you fail the mission.

And on the contrary, having to fight all the good Jedi (even Kyle) if you go bad would be awesome (they better make Kyle and Luke super tough though to pull it off). In JK1, you had to fight Yun, after all, but this game has the potential to make it so much more moving...
 Blademaster_109
04-15-2003, 7:00 PM
yeah ur right, but it'd be fun to kill him.
 Kurgan
04-15-2003, 7:09 PM
I mean, just imagine say the game opens with you and Kyle in a "Practice duel" where he crushes you easily, and then makes his master's comments about how you need to work on this and that and etc. and you're frustrated and so on.

After this opening cutscene/practice (think of the first meeting with Desann), you get through the rest of the game, then you go over to the Darkside.

The ending could be something like, after the climactic duel with Kyle, he's lying there dying (maybe missing a limb or two) and you're standing over him saying "Who's the master now?" and recapturing some of the Obi-Wan/Vader/Luke mytique.

Kyle sees his student, like himself, is a failure, that the darkness within himself he failed to control, has now overwhelmed his former padawan learner, and it has now meant his destruction.

But he takes some comfort in that he gave his all to try to stop him, and he fought the good fight and died a true Jedi....

Flash forward to your character taking off in his stolen ship to find the Valley of the Jedi... (muhaahahaha! scary theme music plays)
 Blademaster_109
04-15-2003, 7:12 PM
Great idea. really that'd be cool.
 Master_Payne
04-15-2003, 10:43 PM
As for civilliansand friendly NPC's there's just one thing I DON'T want: lose or get mission failed cause someone (not you) dies, if you fight alongside with Kyle, and Kyle dies by your faul, you may go back to the academy and then throw away of it, you become evil and kill Luke, but I really hate when in JO appears:
MISSION FAILED: JAN ORS HAS DIED, LANDO HAS DIED, LUKE HAS DIED, TOO MANY PRISONERS HAS DIED, and specially the most anoying(?) one was..... YOU KILLED TOO MANY ALLIES!!!
 Kurgan
04-16-2003, 12:29 AM
I doubt they'd put something in to "fast forward" to the Dark Side part if you killed Kyle on purpose, but that'd certainly be sweet if they did.

I would hope that he'd just be so powerful, he'd own you if you tried anything. ; )
 StormHammer
04-16-2003, 6:33 AM
Originally posted by Master_Payne
As for civilliansand friendly NPC's there's just one thing I DON'T want: lose or get mission failed cause someone (not you) dies, if you fight alongside with Kyle, and Kyle dies by your faul, you may go back to the academy and then throw away of it, you become evil and kill Luke, but I really hate when in JO appears:
MISSION FAILED: JAN ORS HAS DIED, LANDO HAS DIED, LUKE HAS DIED, TOO MANY PRISONERS HAS DIED, and specially the most anoying(?) one was..... YOU KILLED TOO MANY ALLIES!!!

I totally agree. The only time the game should be over is when your own character dies. If you fail to rescue someone, then your mission has failed...but you have to live with that and move on. Seeing 'Game Over' messages every five minutes would totally kill the immersion in the game, IMHO. It also maked it feel like you're playing a console title...*shudders*

As for Kyle and Luke, if they appear in the EU they're unlikely to allow you to kill them off. I can certainly see an intense battle with one or other of them if you turn to the Dark side, but I would imagine your objective is to escape to fight another day.
 HertogJan
04-16-2003, 8:38 AM
I want Kyle to be killed by someone else,and then you have to avenge him!! That's the way to do it ;) It would make an interesting plot change :D
 superdude201
04-16-2003, 10:15 AM
I hope there is some but i doubt it cause if they do have npcs then less people will buy swg because if you can rpg on a cheaper game why pay every month for one
 MattJedi
04-16-2003, 3:44 PM
Well Jedi Academy isnt gonna be close to SWG in terms of rpg.
 Blademaster_109
04-16-2003, 4:10 PM
i agree all the way with Master_Payne
I am playing a game like that and the guy is stupid, and slow to follow me.
 MattJedi
04-16-2003, 6:09 PM
Yeah I hope Raven improves on the AI in general and doesnt make them so stupid. Like when they jump of platforms and die, or just fall and die. Or don't foillow you and fight like they should, maybe they shouldn't just follow you but should have there own path to follow.
 Iblis Reborn
04-16-2003, 11:55 PM
the whole you against the world thing gets old after a while

i love the action at all but this game does need to have a better feel to it...more real i guess...in a sci fi kinda way of course :D
 coupes.
04-17-2003, 1:54 AM
i agree with you iblis, i think there should be less enemies, but they shold be harder to dispose of. And i hope the AI is improved as well, though i feel it wasn't that bad, the stormies weren't that stupid (until they lost their blaster), they tries to surroud you, but if you killed the commander they were less agressive.
 Kurgan
04-17-2003, 9:58 AM
iblis... the devil?

Ahhhhhh!!! He's here to join the darkside!
 StormHammer
04-17-2003, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by .:CoupeS:.
i agree with you iblis, i think there should be less enemies, but they shold be harder to dispose of.

Less enemies? NOOOOooooooo!

I want more of everything, not less. :) I don't like games where you wander around for 10 minutes trying to find the next bad guy to put down. Unless the game is visually stunning (as Unreal was at the time of release) with lots of flora and fauna to look at.

I'm sure they'll tweak the AI to make some enemies smarter...but let's face it, Stormtroopers don't have to be that smart. I want to see a range of easy and hard characters to fight.
 taekwondo joe
04-17-2003, 11:24 AM
i wont more yes, civilian npc's are great, thats what jk2 lacked in, hardly any, you were in bespin, no civilians? yeah right, that place should have been crawling wit em, and narshadow has to have at leats a few!!!!! come on now, i love killing helpless peeps, and truning evil, MUHAHAHAAAAAAAAAA
 HertogJan
04-17-2003, 11:39 AM
You is evil man!! EVIL I TELL YOU!!!

But hey, /me likes killing civilians too... If I'm going to be a Sith, I'd better to it the right way :D
 taekwondo joe
04-18-2003, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by HertogJan
You is evil man!! EVIL I TELL YOU!!!

But hey, /me likes killing civilians too... If I'm going to be a Sith, I'd better to it the right way :D and all Gods peeps said, AMEN!!!
 Iblis Reborn
04-24-2003, 7:39 AM
Originally posted by Kurgan
iblis... the devil?

Ahhhhhh!!! He's here to join the darkside!

my full nick is Iblis The Morning Star Reborn and yes i am

and i should be on the light side (im just misunderstood thats all...unless i get pissed off then uhhh well...nm :D)
 HertogJan
04-24-2003, 8:37 AM
So you're actually a jolly good fellow (;)) ??? Ah... that explains the evil pentagram in your avatar :D

Oh man... If you only knew the power of the darkside...
Page: 1 of 2