Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Left handed?

Page: 1 of 2
 JediBozQ
04-07-2003, 5:16 PM
Is there an option in JA which you can wield the saber left handed?
 Darth Groovy
04-07-2003, 5:17 PM
At this point how can anyone possibly know that? :confused:

I will be curious to see a genuine answer to this thread.
 CanadianSurfer
04-07-2003, 5:28 PM
They released that information I believe stating you can pick basically every physical feature of your character. That includes which hand they hold the saber in. :)
 Sivy
04-07-2003, 7:26 PM
i hope so,

being a lefty myself i would like the option of having the saber in the left hand of the model
 DigitalVapor
04-07-2003, 7:33 PM
I strongly doubt it. It is such a small detail that most people dont care about. I seriously dont imagine that many people will even notice a little thing like that. Also remember that every little detail makes the game harder and more complex to develop. as it is there are already going to be tons of customizing options. you dont want to weigh it down too much.
 CanadianSurfer
04-07-2003, 9:03 PM
Originally posted by DigitalVapor
I strongly doubt it. It is such a small detail that most people dont care about. I seriously dont imagine that many people will even notice a little thing like that. Also remember that every little detail makes the game harder and more complex to develop. as it is there are already going to be tons of customizing options. you dont want to weigh it down too much.

It wouldn't make the development harder. They're letting you choose your hairstyle and outfit, why wouldn't you pick if you're a lefty or righty. I'm just saying it's possible that they throw it in there with the numerous other choices you can pick for your character.
 Six of One
04-07-2003, 9:44 PM
I doubt it, as it would require a new set of left hand/arm movement animations and would require a lot more work (I'm not saying it isn't a cool idea, it would be awesome if they put it in). It probably would seem like too much work an apparently small change.

-Half a Dozen of Another
 Sivy
04-07-2003, 9:50 PM
this may sound stupid but, couldn't they just flip the model horizontally? so that right becomes left and vice versa
 eastcoast2895
04-07-2003, 10:07 PM
in unreal tournament they had the option, so it can't be hard to make, but maybe it would be w/ the saber animations cuz wouldn't they need to make new ones for each to make it look right?
 Master_Payne
04-07-2003, 10:30 PM
Take a look at www.lucasarts.com) in the JA banner appears a jedi with a double bladed orange lightsaber on his left arm (probably just a draw but... who knows?).
 Tesla
04-07-2003, 11:07 PM
I personally feel that it is up to raven what happens to this game (as well as lucasarts) considering how we customize the game :D
 ^_-
04-07-2003, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by eastcoast2895
in unreal tournament they had the option, so it can't be hard to make, but maybe it would be w/ the saber animations cuz wouldn't they need to make new ones for each to make it look right? yeah wup ti do, flip the weapon model horizontally. that isn't hard. but in this game it will need actual animations other than bobing.
 Matariel
04-08-2003, 12:31 AM
it'd be a cinch to do, so why not? just flip some bones around, no problem! many computer nerds are left handed, so give the option!

Also, i wanna suggest that ppl who post in this thread actually give their handedness, because i rekon the ppl who are against it are those no good predgedous rightys :)

(im left by the way :))
 Boba Rhett
04-08-2003, 12:35 AM
I think it'd be really neat but I've played with a right handed character for so long that I think it may throw me off. :eek:
 Wacky_Baccy
04-08-2003, 12:44 AM
Posted by Boba Rhett
I think it'd be really neat but I've played with a right handed character for so long that I think it may throw me off. :eek: I'd have to agree - I'd love it to be an option (being a lefty myself :)), but I also think it might make things more confusing, having become used to playing as a right-hander...

Still, it'd be a neat option to have, even if it made me feel queasy and ruined my aim (which is crap anyway :D)
 JediBozQ
04-08-2003, 4:29 AM
Well......to have have a character wield the saber on the model's left arm doesn't mean you have to use your mouse with your left hand, yeah?

But I don't really count wielding two lightsabers on both arms count.
 SettingShadow
04-08-2003, 6:31 AM
I think it would be great, and i doubt it be very hard too do. Though being a righty = I wont use it :)
 Galvocca
04-08-2003, 8:55 AM
i would love to have the option to be a left hander in the game (iam left handed :) it would just feel right the be left :D
 Sithcloak
04-08-2003, 11:47 AM
I'm sure that the animations wouldn't be a problem considering that they have already confirmed the ability to use two sabers. I think that it would be a really cool option, I like variaty. (I'm right handed, but it would be fun playing a left-handed character. :) )

Sithcloak
 Hekx
04-08-2003, 11:52 AM
There's should be an option to choose your 'handedness' :p
 ^_-
04-08-2003, 12:45 PM
i'm a lefty
 eastcoast2895
04-08-2003, 1:01 PM
i'm a righty, but want lefty because the more character custimization options the better
 JediBozQ
04-08-2003, 1:40 PM
Well, everytime I go shooting with my friends in counterstrike, i must be sure I choose Left handed mods, I dunno why. But I just feel like it.

Downside though, when others see you, its still on the right.....but what the heck.

Since Jedi Academy almost has it all. Single saber, Double saber, dual-bladed saber, im pretty sure you can have it on the left.

Let's hope a new screenshot will clear things up:)
 boinga1
04-08-2003, 3:17 PM
whatever. I'm righty, but I don't really care one way or the other.
 Prime
04-08-2003, 3:28 PM
Being a righty, it isn't a big deal to me. It would be a nice option to have, but I'm not sure how it would effect all the animations, development wise.
 Andy867
04-08-2003, 5:16 PM
With the game and animations still in production, I don't see why it wouldn't take much more to include the left hand as an animation since you are picking your own character. Cuz I mean with the dual sabers, the animation for the left hand IS already there, so why not script it so when making the character, when choosing a saber, ask which hand will be the dominate...
 Toonces
04-08-2003, 6:33 PM
As long as it wouldn't require a signifigant amount of time to code, sure, why not?

I'm a righty :D
 StormHammer
04-15-2003, 4:52 PM
It would be good to see them implement left-handed saber combat, and left-handed guns. Although I've played mostly with my right hand on the mouse, I've been having some problems with pain in my right hand for a couple of months...and so I occasionally switch the mouse to my left.

The problem I have is that my brain can't cope with seeing a weapon on the righthand side of the screen, while I'm using my left hand to point. In games that allow it, I switch to a left-handed weapon view and I fare a lot better using my left hand.

How you lefty's have managed with right-hand only viewpoints i don't know...power to you. :thumbsup: But it's surely about time everyone had a fair whack, and so I think it's important to be able to choose.

As someone else said, would it not be possible to simply mirror the skeleton/animation sequences used for the right-hand combat? It might add to the file sizes, but that's hardly an issue these days when some cames come on multiple CDs.
 Andy867
04-15-2003, 5:27 PM
What would also be good is say that during a fight you lose your right hand, with the right settings, you might be able to then switch to your left hand so you can continue fighting, even though your health would be significantly reduced or whatever the system is.
 Blademaster_109
04-15-2003, 6:57 PM
does it really matter. ne ways probably not.
 Andy867
04-15-2003, 7:05 PM
Being able to pick which hand to hold the saber is like picking which species to play as.. Its a personal matter which people want... So, If you want to be able to play as a Zarbak(SP?), then I say let people play with sabers/guns in their left hand,
 Blademaster_109
04-15-2003, 7:09 PM
ur right Andy867 it doesn't matter if ppl want one thing or another.
 Andy867
04-15-2003, 7:22 PM
Well, I'd say it does matter, and it doesn't matter...

It does matter to those like StormHammer who are lefty and want the game to be able to let the player shoot/use the saber with the character's left hand.

It doesn't matter to those like us who are either A)Used to characters having just the right hand to shoot with, or are right-handed, so it wouldn't affect us either way.

So as you can see, it does and it doesn't matter.
 StormHammer
04-16-2003, 6:10 AM
Originally posted by Andy867
It does matter to those like StormHammer who are lefty and want the game to be able to let the player shoot/use the saber with the character's left hand.

I'm not a lefty. I'm a bothy. :D I've usually been a righty, but I can work just as well in normal applications with my left hand - the reason for the switch is what I think is a touch of RSI in my right wrist/thumb/forefinger.

I'm not as good with my left hand in games as my right, but I'm improving. I'm sort of semi-ambidextrous as I can write (sort of legibly) with my left hand too, although I can't draw left-handed. Weird...

Anyway, I agree that it matters, so it should be there as a choice. Choice is the keyword. Choice is my friend. :D
 Iblis Reborn
04-16-2003, 11:27 PM
if they dont then i guess you can just use the 2 sabers or the double sided since both arms are used

i know its not the same but its something at least
 taekwondo joe
04-17-2003, 3:23 PM
Originally posted by JediBozQ
Is there an option in JA which you can wield the saber left handed? i doubt it :(
 Andy867
04-17-2003, 3:33 PM
Ok, I sent an email off to Kenn Hoekstra yesterday, and today I got a reply

Originally Posted by Kenn Hoekstra

I believe the default and standard hand for a single saber or weapon is the right hand. I don't believe there will be an option to be left handed only.

I will forward along the suggestion, however...

--Kenn

Kenn Hoekstra
Project Administrator/
Director of Support Services
Raven Software Corporation
http://www.ravensoft.com/)
http://www.kennhoekstra.com/)

So, I did mention to do so to send off the suggestion as long as it wouldn't delay the game hopefully, but the fact of the matter was that a thread was created, so the idea is there. So hopefully, the animators and coders can implement the idea.
 StormHammer
04-17-2003, 3:57 PM
Ok, I sent an email off to Kenn Hoekstra yesterday, and today I got a reply

So, I did mention to do so to send off the suggestion as long as it wouldn't delay the game hopefully, but the fact of the matter was that a thread was created, so the idea is there. So hopefully, the animators and coders can implement the idea.

Let us hope they take it seriously. Good job, Andy867. :thumbsup:

And Kenn's always such a helpful guy...he rocks, IMHO. :)
 JediBozQ
04-19-2003, 5:59 PM
Yeah. Well done indeed.:)
Thanks for that small favour without me even asking:)
 Pedro The Hutt
04-20-2003, 9:43 AM
Well... the difference will only count as long as the saber isn't activated. So basically when you're carrying it about. Because with kendo, the style on which saber combat is based, a left handed swordsman still needs to hold the handle in the exactly the same fashion as a right handed one, he does however have a slight advantage since the left hand is used to produce power for the blow and the right one for fine control I believe. But in game , all the difference there would be, would be that the saber would be held in the left hand when walking about, and a slightly different activating animation.
 StormHammer
04-20-2003, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Pedro The Hutt
Well... the difference will only count as long as the saber isn't activated. So basically when you're carrying it about. Because with kendo, the style on which saber combat is based, a left handed swordsman still needs to hold the handle in the exactly the same fashion as a right handed one, he does however have a slight advantage since the left hand is used to produce power for the blow and the right one for fine control I believe. But in game , all the difference there would be, would be that the saber would be held in the left hand when walking about, and a slightly different activating animation.

Possibly...but we're talking about guns too, especially from 1st person where I'm concerned. :)
 JediBozQ
04-20-2003, 3:47 PM
Originally posted by Pedro The Hutt
Well... the difference will only count as long as the saber isn't activated. So basically when you're carrying it about. Because with kendo, the style on which saber combat is based, a left handed swordsman still needs to hold the handle in the exactly the same fashion as a right handed one, he does however have a slight advantage since the left hand is used to produce power for the blow and the right one for fine control I believe. But in game , all the difference there would be, would be that the saber would be held in the left hand when walking about, and a slightly different activating animation. Speaking of which, have you noticed that Hayden Christensen does that? His left wrist is above his right. However, he spins the saber mostly with his right.

Mark Hamill did it too in ANH.
 boinga1
04-20-2003, 4:24 PM
Yeah, luke does it in ESB and ROTJ. All the others are right handed, as near as I can remember.
 joetech3000
04-28-2003, 10:52 AM
Yeah! Not every Jedi in the galaxy is right-handed!
 HertogJan
04-28-2003, 10:58 AM
Are you left-handed-jedis really bothered by the fact that you can't handle your weapon with your left hand in JO??
Seems like a minor detail to me, but then again, I am right handed :)

For the weapons it shouldn't be too hard to implement a left-handed feature, but it will be harder for the lightsaber, so I don't think Raven will do it :)
 Andy867
04-28-2003, 11:57 AM
it shouldnt be hard to implement it into the game since it will have dual sabers, so both hands will have the animations for swinging the saber, so really, it would just need touching up, along with scripting and key triggering in the User Menu when first making the character.
 Prime
04-28-2003, 1:03 PM
it shouldnt be hard to implement it into the game since it will have dual sabers, so both hands will have the animations for swinging the saber, so really, it would just need touching up, along with scripting and key triggering in the User Menu when first making the character. It wouldn't be too hard, but it would still mean more work for something that is fairly insignificant. They probably just chose to spend the resources elsewhere.
 Andy867
05-02-2003, 6:17 AM
Well, before Kenn Hoesktra went to prepare for his little vacation, he sent word of the status of left-handed debate. I have some good news and some bad news. The good news is that you can use the left-handed animations for combos that can be executed. The bad news is, you are stuck with using the right-hand as the default hand for wielding weapons and the lightsaber. However, due to JediMod and its future releases, I feel that someone will be able to utilize the pre-exisiting left-handed animations to make a code/script for at least MP, if not MP and SP, that will allow the left-hand to be chosen as the dominate hand.
 HertogJan
05-02-2003, 7:04 AM
I wonder if it can be a client side only mod. So that YOU see that you weild weapons lefthanded, and you opponents see the normal animation. But it would be cool to see it in 3rd person too :)

I'm more excited about holding your lightsaber, eh, the other way around, so that it points downwards. You could do some serious blocking with that stance :)
 StormHammer
05-02-2003, 1:11 PM
The good news is that you can use the left-handed animations for combos that can be executed. The bad news is, you are stuck with using the right-hand as the default hand for wielding weapons and the lightsaber.

Well, it's a crying shame that kind of support isn't available out of the box, IMHO. :( Considering the range of other customisation options that will be available in the game, not allowing left-handed gun/saber play is quite an oversight.

Let's hope a mod crew wants to take this on board...but somehow I don't think they'll consider it important enough.

Thanks for the update. :thumbsup:
Page: 1 of 2