Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

MP vs SP

Page: 1 of 1
 Agen
04-04-2003, 3:07 PM
What part will be most important to you?
For me it will be mp because really you can't run out of it.
I of course love Single player too but multi has the long term appeal for me.. what's you views?
 greedo626
04-04-2003, 3:10 PM
with most of the MP/SP games I have, I'll play the SP first then move on to the MP. but with JA there's you can stop me from launching right into MP:D
 ILR
04-04-2003, 3:11 PM
Both will be equally important to me. I want to have a great SP experience, but I also want to jump online and share it with other peeps. I think what's going to count in this game is making SP and MP the same game. A challenge I really hope Raven is up for.
 Agen
04-04-2003, 3:16 PM
JK1 did it so well (mp)... i played that game for years... i want Raven to capture it :)
 StormHammer
04-04-2003, 3:43 PM
My connection still sucks at the moment, so I can't really contemplate online MP until broadband is enabled in my area. I'll be playing SP (and by the look of it there should be more scope for replayability), and MP bot matches (if those are included).
 Agen
04-04-2003, 3:52 PM
I palyed jk2 on a 56k for ages no problem, and i still beat most people even if i got some slagging for having it..." your lagging that's how you hit me" :rolleyes:
 StormHammer
04-04-2003, 4:10 PM
Originally posted by Agen_Terminator
I palyed jk2 on a 56k for ages no problem, and i still beat most people even if i got some slagging for having it..." your lagging that's how you hit me" :rolleyes:

Yes, but what was your ping? Mine starts around 250, which is respectable...then rockets up to 900 and within 10-15 minutes I get disconnected from the server. It's not 56k that's the problem, it's the whole stupid phone network in my neighbourhood. :mad:
 Agen
04-04-2003, 4:30 PM
180ish -300 usuually 180ish. I rtohguht it was not bad. And anyway i'm in a pretty well connected area so i did fine :)
 leXX
04-04-2003, 4:35 PM
Both are equally important to me, but I know I'll only have the game a day and I'll be online checking out the MP side of things. I played JK2 MP for 11 months non stop and if I find a cool server to hang out in again, I'll be equally as addicted to this game I'm sure.
 boinga1
04-04-2003, 4:55 PM
SP all the way :):):):):)
 ryudom
04-04-2003, 5:04 PM
both heh. i'll definitely finish SP before looking at MP though. don't want to spoil anything! heh
 Agen
04-04-2003, 5:07 PM
Heh, i got the hang of 1.02 then did sp then went back :)
 Taos
04-04-2003, 9:28 PM
It looks to me that the SP will be very good on this game.....and Stormy said it - replayability, that's what I'm looking for. I can play JO once or twice on the SP but then I don't enjoy it. Once I get done with playing the SP for a while...then I will turn my attention to the mp and that looks to be pretty good as well. :)
 master_thomas
04-04-2003, 10:46 PM
Both, but mainly SP.

I map SP.

The only problem with MP is the lamers, the spammers, and <shudders> the fanboys. Hopefully, they can make it play like SP.
 Hekx
04-04-2003, 11:09 PM
A bit of both.
I'll probably play SP first, then focus more on MP while oddly playing SP. ;)
 HertogJan
04-05-2003, 3:10 AM
I'll start with SP. Ifg it's reallllly addicting I'll keep playing it, but most likely I'll throw in a few MP matches between my SP experiences :D

But SP is very important to me, finished JK2 over 5 times now and every time was cool :D MP is the factor that keeps me playing JK2 though, although I didn't hardly play JK2 between october and a few weeks ago, mainly because of the death of my beloved clan, the Global Starfighter Alliance (http://gsaclan.brinkster.net) ...
 Clemme w/Stick
04-05-2003, 4:58 AM
Originally posted by greedo626
with most of the MP/SP games I have, I'll play the SP first then move on to the MP.

Me 2! I wanna complete the SP first, b4 moving on to the MP...! I think many ppl feel that way, but thats an individual thing.
Yeah, MP is cool and all, but it only lengthens the playability for a period of time, then its back to posting or something. Or at least, thats how I felt with JO!

-Clemme
 AJL
04-05-2003, 5:46 AM
1. SP game (if i can't expect to have good SP game i
am not even going to buy it... !)

2. Modding (if it is "impossible" then the game won't
stay in my hard drive for long...)

3. MP game (if the game will stay long enough in my
hard drive then...)
 Leslie Judge
04-05-2003, 5:47 AM
SP mostly. I will try MP of course, but SP is what I'm really interested in. Maybe my SP story will be released for JK3. Who knows? :D

Hey, Hиkx Nтxъ! I saw the game title in your sig. You left out one part. :)

Star Wars Dark Forces IV: Jedi Knight III: Jedi Outcast II: Jedi Knight Jedi Academy would be more accurate. :D
 Darklighter
04-05-2003, 6:43 AM
Both MP and SP appeal equally to me; one has a lot of appealing elements that the other doesn't, and vice versa. I don't really see them as two seperate modes, I prefer to look at the game as a whole;)
 Zodiac
04-05-2003, 10:46 AM
Only the MP part attracts me. It's just way more fun to play with other people, interacting with them all, just having a good time with other human species.

SP doesn't attract me at all. If I'd like to play all by myself, I'd visit some xxx-site.
 Agen
04-05-2003, 10:48 AM
Wel, like i siad i like both but i really hope that JA brings in a big amount of players :)
 t3rr0r
04-05-2003, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Agen_Terminator
Wel, like i siad i like both but i really hope that JA brings in a big amount of players :)
and hopefully it keeps them there.
 Agen
04-05-2003, 10:55 AM
Hopefully :)
 alarm
04-05-2003, 11:37 AM
why dont you make a poll
 Darklighter
04-05-2003, 11:47 AM
A poll is nothing compared to a group of posts with reasoning for their decisions;)
 Agen
04-05-2003, 11:54 AM
because if i make a poll then people won't post giving a reason, they'll just vote :)
 DeTRiTiC-iQ
04-05-2003, 12:01 PM
Same as JK2...

the game will arrive in the morning, i'll play singleplayer all day, have a go at multiplayer in the evening.
 eastcoast2895
04-05-2003, 3:08 PM
i'm probably wanna try t finish sp once as light jedi then go sp as dark jedi all while playing a little mp when i don't feel like advancing in the game, but after i beat it once i probably do a lot more mp
 nova_wolf
04-05-2003, 3:18 PM
SP.

There is broadband connection where I live, but it is to my girlfriends room, and is only the 128K connection, so isnt THAT sweet.

Always loved the Ladder maps for JKII, so am hoping that they will be carried on. Great for getting saber practise against decent opponents. The MP bots were just pants in JKII.... Sorry, but I doubt that I am alone.

Its was either Online MP against humans, or SP. The MP bots just did not act anthing like proper humans, on ANY skill setting. Always hesitating and backing awaym, then charging in suicidally!

SP all the way.
 Emon
04-06-2003, 12:29 PM
SP definatly. It has nothing to do with my connection, since I get pings of 30-50 to servers in JO when my dad isn't hogging the bandwidth.
 Vegar01
04-08-2003, 8:41 AM
SP, much better saberfights and such. I hope they make the MP-sabering more like the SP.
 toms
04-08-2003, 2:12 PM
grrrr... lost my reply.

SP cos i like a story to my games and my connection sucks.
I might try MP if i absolutely love a game, want more of it and can be bothered making it run smoothly and learning the "scene".

unfortunately jk2 wasn't that game... so i moved onto Chrono Trigger and Deus Ex.
 Prime
04-08-2003, 4:31 PM
Mainly SP for me too.

I play the Dark Forces series because it is Star Wars, not because it is a FPS. SP has much better Star Wars immersion for me, so I'm drawn to that more. MP is definitely fun too, though...
 Deadeye
04-08-2003, 7:29 PM
I completely agree with you Prime.

I am actually shocked about how many people seem to be simply craving another Q3, deathmatch, CTF, multiplayer mayhem game.
While having little interest in Starwars. They all want to complain about MP balancing, and that SP is not that great and doesn't last. True you can only really play through once or twice in SP, but MP to me is not that important. It's definitely fun at LAN parties, but when it comes to MP I go with the exclusive experts. UT2003, BF1942, Q3, etc. Instead of just bitching about how JO is not them. If LucasArts gives Raven the go ahead to contiue the series (BTW JediknightIV.com is registered by LA), then I hope Raven concentrates on a truly great SP game that really immerses you in the StarWars universe. If some company wants to make the ultimate StarWars mulitplayer experience, go for it. Good luck.

I guess the bottom line, is that the great community we have here has a wide variety of interests, so hopefully Raven can please most of us.

My interest in mostly in SP. MP a sort of bonus to me.

that's MHO
 Spider AL
04-08-2003, 7:40 PM
Deadeye, you obviously don't play MP to the same depth as some members of our community. Those members play the Dark Forces series online because it has a unique flavour unlike those other games you seem to think are "exclusive experts" to use your words. If MP doesn't interest you, fine. If SP is your main concern and you only want to discuss SP, fine. That's your choice, respect those who choose the alternative please.

Quite honestly, if I read one more post that describes the MP concerns of others as "bitching" I'm going to eat my keyboard.

Unless it's by Detritic, in which case I'll know he's just trying to make me eat my keyboard.
Page: 1 of 1