Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

April Fools

Page: 1 of 1
 The_One
04-01-2003, 2:40 PM
SORRY!

OK guys, anything you have read concerning this project in the last 24 hours or so – do not believe it! This was an April Fool’s joke! Not real! The project is still go! Dave is still fine. LEC are fine. There were never any e-mails or anything. THIS PROJECT IS NOT CANNED – AND NEVER WILL BE!

If you are in the school of thought that believes this was a particularly bad joke – then all I can do is apologise. But, I couldn’t make it any more blatant – it was on April 1st after all. Please forgive me if I had you outraged. Don’t boycott LEC, they are good people – we are getting JKIII after all! Anyway, this is the idea of April Fool’s – to be fooled! And if you were, my job is done. May I point out this was Fracman’s idea as well, not just me. Cruel? Yes. Your own fault and gullibility? Yes. Do you really think they’d sue Darth_Linux for $250,000? Do you think he could get 6 years for this? If you do, then you are truly gullible. I tried to make it authentic, as well as slightly unbelievable.

I guess the only thing I can really blame it on is my dark, British sense of humour.

Once again, anyone I have unknowingly annoyed or inconvenienced due to this, then you have my heart felt apology.

I guess I’ll have to have one HELL of an update this weekend to appease you guys. Over and out…
 MilesTeg
04-01-2003, 3:00 PM
I liked it ;)

It was the first aprils fool joke for me and the one that reminded me of the current date...

Cґmon guys, you should know we wouldnґt hold back / ignore any negative info we get from the LEC people, would we?
 StormHammer
04-01-2003, 3:10 PM
*puts away whips, restraints, high-tensile shield, flame-retardant suit, anti-spam helmet and banning gun*

*gives The_One a long, hard stare*

You know, what goes around, comes around...and you're going to get...

one of these...

http://www.storm.hammer.btinternet.co.uk/jedimedal2.gif)

:p :D
 The_One
04-01-2003, 3:20 PM
Yey! A medal! ;)

You gotta admit, it looked pretty authentic for something I knocked together in 20 minutes...
 ShadowMage
04-01-2003, 3:26 PM
Bloody hell, I am only sorry that I didn't get a chance to come online recently. I cannot believe I missed such a prank!

Sounds like a good one though, my compliments. :)
 Lundquist
04-01-2003, 3:52 PM
lol, looked just like one of the press releases on the LEC homepage.
I found it hilarious - also how some really got wound up over it.

btw, I love British humor.
 xcountryman03
04-01-2003, 4:36 PM
not cool........not cool at all.......at least for me. it was pretty funny tho. Well played One, Well played....:)
 The Count
04-01-2003, 4:40 PM
I was kind of suspicious when LucasArts announced that Darth Linux would be forced to pay $250 000 also how they referred to him as Dave and not David but I was quite blinded by anger over LucasArts to follow this through.
 Katarn07
04-01-2003, 4:54 PM
Originally posted by xcountryman03
not cool........not cool at all.......at least for me. it was pretty funny tho. Well played One, Well played....:)

Same here. After reading it was a april 1st, I printed out a copy of your press release. I thought if it was a prank, I'd get to keep that and maybe laugh at it in a while. Doubtable.

I changed my title, location, and sig, but will leave the av for the time being, until tomorrow.

Yeah, the reason I found out it was fake, was I went ot LEC and decided to visit the press release section. I thought they were in on the joke, The_One. You got some skill throwing stuff together in 20 minutes, I'll give you that much.
 The Count
04-01-2003, 4:55 PM
Boy is my face red, well I'm still going to keep my Avatar.
 Andy867
04-01-2003, 9:58 PM
There were plenty of indications that it was obviously a fake, but being April 1st, I decided to along.. In fact, I had even posted a news segment to make it look more real, because I feel that the best pranks are the ones that seem the most real. The first indication was the fact of the matter of which is was started off, also, the terms and words used wouldn't be that of a lawyer, more like a journalist. Also, the fine againt Darth was little.. only $250,000... isonews webmaster and his co-conspirators had to face 5 years or $500,000 plus they had more professional usage of terminology.
 Silas_Kar
04-01-2003, 10:15 PM
I kinda knew it all along! :D At first I thought it might be true, but then I thought about it, why would LEC sue Darth_Linux for $250,000 or Prison? It is not as if the DF team were going to sell this mod. And then I looked at the date. HahA! April first! Maybe this IS an april fools? Well I am really glad this WAS a joke. *Phew*
 Geoffrey S
04-02-2003, 1:59 PM
The scary thing is that people actually believed that LEC was capable of something like that!
 Master Toddy
04-02-2003, 5:58 PM
Like I said in another forum, it's too bad that April fools only comes once a year. Oh well, you guys can learn from this and pull off a better joke next year! :D.
 ZBomber
04-03-2003, 8:57 PM
Haha, nice job guys. :D
 Katarn07
04-03-2003, 9:22 PM
First time ZBomber decides to post here in the DF forum, he has to go rub it in our face! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Oh, yeah?

*cough* FAO Imperial Shuttle! *cough* (http://home.attbi.com/~pahnke6/wsb/media/150725/site1058_t.jpg)

Yeah, that's a 12" Jorg Sacul too! OK, back on topic...

:p

*** Unlike what I posted in the collecting forum, that is not only 56k friendly, but AOL friendly!
 The_One
04-04-2003, 7:27 AM
Originally posted by Geoffrey S
The scary thing is that people actually believed that LEC was capable of something like that!

Bah, I saw your post over at DF-21:

"I honestly don't know what to think. On one hand, the date is remarkably suspicious, but on the other hand the article seems deadly serious and the staff at jediknightii.net seem to believe it. If it is an April Fools joke the mind behind needs a memo on humor."

That would be me ;)
 Geoffrey S
04-04-2003, 8:44 AM
I know. I was extremely surprised by the whole thing; April fools day isn't really big in Holland, so that possibility didn't occur right away. Particularly after the news update at the jediknightii.net main page confirmed it I was just about convinced. I figured if it was a hoax it'd stay confined to the TC site. I did (and still do) believe LEC to be capable of acting as described. They've gone mad over smaller things before. Then again, they haven't stepped in yet.
Besides, I still don't think it was funny. But then, it fooled a lot of us, so that's what the day's all about, right? The page was very well done though, the design is probably what fooled me most.
 Ackehallgren
04-04-2003, 9:42 AM
I totally bought it :D
I got a little curios when i found these adresses still working though:

http://darkforces.jediknightii.net/screenshots/misc/00.jpg)

http://darkforces.jediknightii.net/screenshots/misc/02.jpg)

:D:D:D
 Andy867
04-04-2003, 10:41 AM
I'd figure to pull of a convincing April Fool's joke, then there would have to be other references to it, which is why I posted what I did on JKII.net, which was later deleted;) But still, it was enough to get quite a few emails:D You know struck gold when 6 different emails either want to boycott LEC or make a "Save Our Site" petition. :) What do you think The_One?
 The_One
04-04-2003, 2:39 PM
Originally posted by Andy867
I'd figure to pull of a convincing April Fool's joke, then there would have to be other references to it, which is why I posted what I did on JKII.net, which was later deleted;) But still, it was enough to get quite a few emails:D You know struck gold when 6 different emails either want to boycott LEC or make a "Save Our Site" petition. :) What do you think The_One?

I reckon you're lying to cover up your gullibility too :p
 Andy867
04-04-2003, 4:21 PM
No, there was too much in the post you made that made it obvious... One was the fact that
A) there were no technical terms,
B) LEC would have contacted JKII.Net, the hosting site,
C) The timing was too suspicious,
D) Looked too much like a Press release which lawyers would never do.

So, like I said in my above posts.. There were to many clues that made it a fake claim. Believe me, I know what a letter head from a company of web-site seizing looks like...
 The_One
04-04-2003, 4:26 PM
Originally posted by Andy867
No, there was too much in the post you made that made it obvious... One was the fact that
A) there were no technical terms,
B) LEC would have contacted JKII.Net, the hosting site,
C) The timing was too suspicious,
D) Looked too much like a Press release which lawyers would never do.

So, like I said in my above posts.. There were to many clues that made it a fake claim. Believe me, I know what a letter head from a company of web-site seizing looks like...

I was kidding, you know ;)

Exactly (to everything you said), that's why I was shocked when everyone fell for it...
 Geoffrey S
04-05-2003, 7:02 AM
I guess most of us don't have enough experience in LEC-induced lawsuits. ;)
Page: 1 of 1