Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

JK: Jedi Academy Info, Pics and Discussion! (ancient)

Page: 19 of 20
 Andy867
04-25-2003, 12:24 AM
Actually Boinga, Jedi Outcast did support one other gamemode called SAGA, but unfortunately it was never implemented into MP, but it was left into the source code. I think it was Razor Ace or Artifex that emailed JKII.net about it.
 XanaJedi
04-25-2003, 4:14 PM
Will it be the same PC REQS like jk2?/

i got a amd 1ghz with 640 mb ram and a gf2 mx 400

with default jk2 ran pretty fine what about jk3?? will it use the same engine? so i can cause havoc again or will i have to buy something new for it??

i think that a lot of people whant an asnwer to the pc req question

tell us a bout it
 boinga1
04-25-2003, 6:34 PM
Originally posted by Andy867
Actually Boinga, Jedi Outcast did support one other gamemode called SAGA, but unfortunately it was never implemented into MP, but it was left into the source code. I think it was Razor Ace or Artifex that emailed JKII.net about it.

well, he said "decent" SAGA mode, so I assumed he meant one that Raven implemented, but that that one inlcuded was inferior in some way, so I had to agree that "that" ("that" being a superior SAGA mode) was not in JO.
 joesdomain
04-26-2003, 3:43 AM
I would also like to see realistic damage to villains, buildings, objects, etc.
 Andy867
04-26-2003, 5:33 AM
Yea, I don't see why they don't implement structural damage to everything, life if I throw a thermal detontator into a building, I just don't want to hear a bang, and have the building unchanged.. I want to be knocked onto my ass, walls in flames, smoke sapping the breathable air from my lungs kind of thing.
 PrimoSidone
04-26-2003, 6:23 AM
Andy but what about the PC REQS? i mean will it be the same as JO??
 GonkH8er
04-26-2003, 6:33 AM
It'll probably have the same requirements, being the same engine.... but it may have some slight alterations, so it might need a little more though

If you've got a processor over 800mhz with at least a gf2, you'll be fine....
 PrimoSidone
04-26-2003, 7:18 AM
k nice :D

i got a gf2 64 mb :rolleyes:

with 1ghz
 thomoo
04-27-2003, 2:09 AM
Hey, I was wondering, is Jedi Academy gonna use the same engine that Jedi Outcast uses? Ya know, the modified Quake 3 one? And is it gonna be just an expansion to JO or is it going to be a standalone product? OR will it be a standalone game that also works as an expansion??:confused:
 SettingShadow
04-27-2003, 3:07 AM
Its gonna use a Heavily modified Quake 3 engine. And yes its going to be a standalone game.
 Prime
04-27-2003, 3:08 AM
Originally posted by thomoo
Hey, I was wondering, is Jedi Academy gonna use the same engine that Jedi Outcast uses? Ya know, the modified Quake 3 one? And is it gonna be just an expansion to JO or is it going to be a standalone product? OR will it be a standalone game that also works as an expansion??:confused: JA will again be using the Quake III engine, although it will be even more modified than it was for JO. It will be a standalone product, and it is not really a part of the Dark Forces series (which details the adventures of Kyle Katarn). As such, it is not Dark Forces 4, Jedi Knight 3, or Jedi Outcast 2. However, it will be tied into this series of games.
 PrimoSidone
04-27-2003, 3:15 PM
*sigh* Yet ANOTHER trilogy:D

Wonder how big luca's wallet is
 Andy867
04-27-2003, 3:20 PM
Well, after his wife divorced him and took half of his assets, his wallet became very SMALL. And a car accident in his early years almost killed him, so I think Lucas deserves a little of our gratitude, especially since he was nearly killed in that accident. Imagine if he had been.. No star wars, no luke or Kyle Katarn, nothing. No Darth Vader. (Here's gasps and disbeliefs in the crowd)

(For those who have taken up Jedi as a religion, do not fret, Lucas is still alive and well and will continue to allow the name of star wars to flourish.) Now that the scare is over, we can all resume normal lives:) (maybe)

My guess is that it will require a PIII or AMD 600 MHz minimum or faster processor, along with a minimum of 64 to 128 MB RAM, along with a 64 MB Graphics display card with OPENGL (since thats what the Q3A engine uses). And probably be between 150-700 MB available hard drive space, depending upon possible custom install features, etc. and then probably like a 56k Modem or faster for internet connection, and like a 600-700 MHz processor or faster for internet play. 6-8X CD/DVD ROM, keyboard and mouse, etc. just the usual stuff for a game using the Q3A engine.[/b]
 PrimoSidone
04-28-2003, 10:18 AM
AAAh nice i like openGL i gte higher fps with openGL than with Direct3D
 SoHei
04-28-2003, 3:24 PM
I just hope Raven can make decent lighting and animations, the animations in JK2 suck so bad.
 DragonKnight
04-29-2003, 1:09 AM
Damn! I thought he had everything down fairly well. I suppose some of the movies could have been done better, but I would not say ANYTHING about JO "sucks", except maybe it could have had a longer single player mode...but I suppose one just cannot get enough of a good thing.
 Business_Eskimo
04-29-2003, 9:48 PM
Why they heck aren't there any pictures of people with guns? I mean, I know that it's aimed more toward sabers and all, but...

Other than that, looks good!
 Andy867
04-29-2003, 9:50 PM
Well, the idea of Jedi's having a heavy repeater doesn't exactly strike most with all that of a positive response. Plus, the exclusive photos were from those who tested the game, and that the editor felt would get the best response. Also, the implementation of guns may still be in the production phase, while lightsabers, which is what the game is geared heavily towards, was probably given a higher priority.
 joetech3000
04-30-2003, 11:30 AM
Well, the idea of Jedi's having a heavy repeater doesn't exactly strike most with all that of a positive response. Plus, the exclusive photos were from those who tested the game, and that the editor felt would get the best response. Also, the implementation of guns may still be in the production phase, while lightsabers, which is what the game is geared heavily towards, was probably given a higher priority.
Although Jedi in the New Jedi Order use guns. :rifle1:
 Andy867
04-30-2003, 2:32 PM
Only then did they have to resort to guns because their teachings didn't teach them how to deal with the Yuuzhan Vong. Course I havent read the NJO, I just go on what I hear.
 Kurgan
04-30-2003, 7:31 PM
Jedi used guns (and other non-saber weapons) in the Tales of the Jedi comics as well.

It's totally logical that a force user wouldn't be limited just to a lightsaber in combat. We've seen Jedi fighter pilots too for example...
 Andy867
04-30-2003, 8:44 PM
Well, last time I checked Kurgan, Jedi couldn't breathe in space;) I bet if they could, they would have like Gundam Wing-like craft with big @$$ lightsabers to wield in space... lol. or not, just a spur of the moment thought. lol
 PrimoSidone
05-01-2003, 12:56 PM
Andy could u plz check ur inbox?

thnx

Grtz

Primo
 DragonKnight
05-01-2003, 3:54 PM
Probably not the point of this thread, but..: Has anyone mad a stand alone single player expansion for JO? Sort of like Deu Ex's "Zodiak"? Plus, is it possible to use JO models in any other game? I was thinking of Quake III or GTA III or something. AND if possible, how?:explode: :monkey4:

:explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode:
 Andy867
05-01-2003, 4:00 PM
Well, the thing with expansion's is that the expansion has access to the Single Player source code, which only Raven Software does. So to make a full expansion they would need to first release the source code, which we know won't be happening.
 Business_Eskimo
05-01-2003, 8:42 PM

Thanks, I was just wondering. :)
 Kurgan
05-01-2003, 9:00 PM
We've never seen a canon example of a Jedi trying to hold his breath in vacuum... though there's some stuff in the EU that I don't really remember.

Still, a Jedi in a Zero-G combat suit? Cool.

Jedi Fighter pilots we've seen. They're cool.

It's just the whole notion of Jedi in their desert robes, charging into battle with nothing but a lightsaber, that I find somewhat silly (even in AOTC)... in this era of turbolasers, missiles and other explosives, etc. Sure a Jedi can block a few blaster shots from some guards, but they're really out of their element just as is.

"We're keepers of the peace, not soldiers." So Jedi SOLDIERS would be armed and armored far more intelligently. It would be kind of neat to see some Stormtroopers fighting alongside one another in Episode III, then we see them take off their helmets and find out they're Obi-Wan and Anakin! ; )

I would think that they'd at least wear some body armor, or helmets. I mean how many Jedi died in the Genosis arena? Quite a few... deaths that could have been prevented had they worn proper battle gear. I know they were assembled in a hurry, but gee wiz... these aren't Federation Redshirts we're talking about here!

Anyway, in the GAMES, the possibility to outfit Jedi intelligently in battle exists. So far Kyle and Mara seem to be the only ones with any sense in that regard.

For balancing purposes, some of the RPG's may make the Jedi weak like this, but I wouldn't bet they would be for JKA.
 Andy867
05-02-2003, 12:26 AM
But Jedi Soldiers would not exist, just Jedi Knights, which already did the job. The Jedi are there to protect people, not to fight wars. So plus, Obi-wan was saying that lightsabers are A Jedi's Weapon, for the more civilized age, not as clumsy or random as a blaster. with a lightsaber if you swing at a person's arm, there is a good chance that is where the blade will go until an opposing force like another lightsaber stops it, where as with blasters, if you aim for the head, you'd be lucky to hit their chest.
 boinga1
05-02-2003, 8:09 PM
Blasters aren't that random, Andy.... :D
 Andy867
05-03-2003, 5:07 AM
According to Obi-wan they are. Remember in ANH. I made a paraphrased quote from Kenobi. And yes, Stormtrooper blasters are random and clumsy. Why else did someone have to make a mod to improve the accuracy.:D
 Tinny
05-04-2003, 8:08 PM
a blaster rifle maybe, but something like a blaster pistol is deadly precise in the hands of someone like Kyle, Han, or Mara.
 PrimoSidone
05-04-2003, 9:04 PM
Why blaster? just NUKE em :D
 flaming_wolf
05-06-2003, 6:33 PM
Why blaster? just NUKE em

Im going to take the guess that they don't have nuke's and if u think a nuke is the answer to everything u need some help.

Who cares about guns thats just cheep. O look at me i can shoot u and u cant stop me. How unscivised is that its almost as bad as missiles. Ummmmm long rage missiles i dont even have to see who im killing, i mean how pathetic is that and what a lack of skill.

A jedi is a skillful fighter that is capabil of tackeling any situation with the assistance of threre saber or the force. I mean name me 1 handheld gun from starwars that could go through a blast door like Qui's saber in Ep1.
 boinga1
05-06-2003, 7:41 PM
/\ cool it, man, he was just kidding.

And you think guns are "cheep"? You have just declared every aspect of human fighting for the last few hundred years "cheep".
 PrimoSidone
05-06-2003, 8:37 PM
Originally posted by flaming_wolf
Im going to take the guess that they don't have nuke's and if u think a nuke is the answer to everything u need some help.

Who cares about guns thats just cheep. O look at me i can shoot u and u cant stop me. How unscivised is that its almost as bad as missiles. Ummmmm long rage missiles i dont even have to see who im killing, i mean how pathetic is that and what a lack of skill.

A jedi is a skillful fighter that is capabil of tackeling any situation with the assistance of threre saber or the force. I mean name me 1 handheld gun from starwars that could go through a blast door like Qui's saber in Ep1.

U have somekind of problems?? I can advise a shrink maybe hell help ya loony :nut:
 Andy867
05-06-2003, 9:24 PM
This is a thread for Jedi Academy info, not the classified ads people. Either get back on topic, or I'll lock it, and if tempted, possibly delete it. Hope you guys don't mind losing points and posts count.
 PrimoSidone
05-07-2003, 8:05 AM
kk soz andy
 boinga1
05-08-2003, 1:12 AM
This is a thread for Jedi Academy info, not the classified ads people. Either get back on topic, or I'll lock it, and if tempted, possibly delete it. Hope you guys don't mind losing points and posts count.

No!! MY POINTS!! NO!!

Bow to the mighty Andy, bow to him....lol, won't kill me to lose a few points.
 Andy867
05-08-2003, 1:34 AM
Sucking up doesn't help much.. what helps is getting this thread back on topic, and fast.
 Izzy
05-08-2003, 4:54 AM
I don't know whether this has been commented on yet...
but I reckon in JK:JA MP, you should be able to roll, wallwalk, etc in 3rd person when you have a gun selected. I mean, with all the force, the saber doesn't give a jedi the ability to wallwalk or roll. Its better on SP, where with guns you can roll and all...

Thats just a thought :D
 Prime
05-08-2003, 3:26 PM
Originally posted by Izzy
I don't know whether this has been commented on yet...
but I reckon in JK:JA MP, you should be able to roll, wallwalk, etc in 3rd person when you have a gun selected. I mean, with all the force, the saber doesn't give a jedi the ability to wallwalk or roll. Its better on SP, where with guns you can roll and all...

Thats just a thought :D A very good point. Using any weapon in third person view should still allow you to do all the special moves. But actually, I don't think I've every tried this :)
 Solbe M'ko
05-08-2003, 8:04 PM
I never tried it either, but I did notice that you can roll around on the first missions while holding a gun, I don't know if you can shoot and roll at once, though. That wouldn't be very accurate anyway.
 Azymn
05-09-2003, 4:31 AM
Originally posted by Solbe M'ko
I never tried it either, but I did notice that you can roll around on the first missions while holding a gun, I don't know if you can shoot and roll at once, though. That wouldn't be very accurate anyway.
If you have rolling and such enabled with guns in MP, you can shoot while rolling and it's unrealistically accurate - it shoots dead on target through the whole roll.
 SITHDUKE
07-12-2003, 12:14 PM
Sorry to go off the subject adn all but will the game come with any Admin features?

Like a few good mods haev added some but are there gonna be any already in the game besides kick and kickban?

I know that some people think that all you really need is kick and kicban because if you can get the disruptive elements from the server then there goes the problem. But i'd disagree as if a player is kicked he goes to another server...but if they were to realsie that the server can stop them from lameing then they realsie every server has this means then the'll soon realise the futility of lameing...:D

P.S.

Whats this points system?
 legameboy
07-13-2003, 11:54 AM
1. I don't like Nazi mods that put you to sleep.
2. I don't know.
 squall_leon4
03-31-2004, 3:15 PM
dante are u done with the squall leonheart skin yet?
 Kurgan
03-31-2004, 3:43 PM
Whoa, this one brings back memories!

I still say that Jedi need to be outfitted like real (Star Wars) soldiers in the next movie and future games.

I'm glad to see that in the "Clone Wars" cartoon they had Jedi wearing modified clonetrooper armor, that's a great start.

There really wasn't any reason why they couldn't have tossed in a few chest plates or helmets to the Jedi at Geonosis, after all, Yoda brought in the troopers from Kamino with all their gear. Are they saying they had NO spares? There aren't even that many Jedi for crying out loud!

And blasters aren't really "random" (after all we've seen some expert marksmanship demonstrated with them in the movies), Obi-Wan was just belittling everything that wasn't Jedi-related to get Luke on his side. ; )

Hopefully GL will come to his senses in the next flick!
 Dunedain
08-14-2006, 11:33 PM
Jedi Knights use lightsabers the vast majority of the time because they are expertly trained with them and can take out, or defend against, many different threats with them. Jedi don't weigh themselves down needlessly, they stay light on their feet and highly agile. But certainly if a Jedi was in a situation where he didn't have his lightsaber with him or for some unusual reason a lightsaber just wouldn't work for what he needed to do and there was some other weapon lying there, then he would use what he had available to deal with the problem. Jedi are very resourceful and will make do with what they have. :)
 samm666
08-15-2006, 5:04 PM
You resurrected a 2 year dead thread for THAT?

Jedi's are not real.
 •-BLaCKouT-•
08-16-2006, 3:30 PM
Jedi's are not real.
Well if you're going to nitpick, I'm going to have to point out that the plural of Jedi is Jedi. Saying Jedis is like saying 'Look at the sheeps in that field'. And even if Jedis was the correct usage, the apostrophe would be unneccesary.

Anyhow, nice thread! Carry on :D

;) B.
Page: 19 of 20