Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Question now it is confirmed that JK3 will come out.

Page: 1 of 1
 The Count
03-29-2003, 4:28 PM
Will you still be developing this MOD in JK2, or will this have any implications now that we know JK3 is coming out.
 Katarn07
03-29-2003, 5:14 PM
*glances at mod progress*

Umm, I think they'll stick with this game for the mod...

Maybe MotS can come out for JK3.
 The_One
03-29-2003, 7:14 PM
Wow, just heard the news and seen the screens - incredible!

http://www.jediknightii.net)

Basically, this could completely change the course of this MOD, because now a variety of things could happen. I see three possible scenarios:

1) Because of the impending release of JKIII, we may see the JKII SP source code sooner than expected - thus allowing as to acheive what we want easily, without having to bother with copious amounts of uneccessary coding ourselves.

2) JKIII ships with better MOD support than JKII had - with better tools, and hopefully a SP SDK. We could then engine switch - relatively easily I imagine, and take advantage of what JKIII has to offer.

3) We stay on course and do what we're doing ie. stick to our aims for a late Summer 2003 release, using our modified MP enivornment, emulating SP.

I see option 3 as the most viable at present. However, who knows what may happen in the next few months - I guess we'll stay on course, and play it by ear, crossing each bridge as we come to it. One way or the other, you'll see the Dark Forces MOD :p
 MilesTeg
03-29-2003, 8:42 PM
ok, Iґm german and I will read the gamestar article.

hm... q3 engine interesting...

update: I read the article and the engine hasnґt changed much.

They just made the levels more detailed (more vertexes) and used high quality textures (more realistic, rusty etc.)
Iґm not sure, but itґs possible that they improved the model shading.

This is more or less a MOTS for JK2:
- slightly improved graphics with the same engine
- new sp missions
- improved weapons
- new player character(s)

If they donґt include a complete SP SDK in JK3, there is no reason to "change the game".
Dark Forces doesnґt need non-linear mission selection, new saber styles or costumized playercharacters...

But donґt get me wrong! Iґm very excited about the upcoming game and canґt wait to start a good saberfight on hoth :D
 Katarn07
03-29-2003, 9:39 PM
I didn't know there were screens out already. Sorry for the off topic thing, but is supposed to come out in 2004 or 2005?
 MilesTeg
03-29-2003, 10:36 PM
np: autumn 2003 :D
 Katarn07
03-29-2003, 10:43 PM
Cool. Better have a good story, or else!!!

I'd say, even if it were possible to switch, to stick with JKII. There may not be DF fanatics or SW lovers that need this game for 50 bucks (30 pounds???) when it is brand new, so they'll be upset if you decide to switch it on them...
 The_One
03-30-2003, 7:20 AM
Yeah, Miles, that was pretty much what I was thinking. If we get a decent SDK with the game, then it would be sensible to switch. But I reckon we'll see a JKII SP SDK within a few months ;)

Maybe it's time to start mailing Raven again...
 Master Toddy
03-30-2003, 11:33 PM
Aye, stick with JKII. No need to convert to JKIII since it's pretty much the same engine.
 StormHammer
03-31-2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by The_One
Yeah, Miles, that was pretty much what I was thinking. If we get a decent SDK with the game, then it would be sensible to switch. But I reckon we'll see a JKII SP SDK within a few months ;)

Maybe it's time to start mailing Raven again...

I'm not so sure. Going by the post ChangKhan made in the JKIII thread at the Valley, they didn't release SP SDK because it would have been like shooting themselves in the foot by allowing people to make their own full games, or something. I doubt that you would see an SP SDK any time soon, even after the release of a sequel. I would even suspect that you wouldn't see one until they are no longer using that engine to develop their games. It took a while for the Quake and Quake 2 code to come out, and I don't think this will be any different. :(

Anyway, it would make sense to continue with the tools currently at your disposal, even if you do decide to switch at a later date. You can still make hi-res textures, models, and everything else you need in terms of in-game content...and then just utilise them in the updated version of the engine. I would imagine. But then...I'm not a modder or a technical genius. ;p
 Geoffrey S
03-31-2003, 2:45 PM
Just wondering, since when has JKIII been confirmed? I've only seen it 'announced' by posters in various fora, a games magazine with exclusive Half Life 2 info, and all that at a very suspicious date. I'm not saying it is just a hoax, but that I'd rather wait until LEC or Raven actually confirm something. Having said that, JO was first announced as a rumor on message boards.
Either way, I trust the team will use the engine/game they feel will take the TC in the best possible direction.
 Katarn07
03-31-2003, 2:58 PM
Originally quoted by ComRaven elsewhere on Lucas Forums
You know those moments when a simple day is turned into pure excitement? That about sums up my feelings when I went to the mailbox today to grab my issue of Gamestar, Germany’s Number One gaming mag. So I take a look at the cover to see a female Twi’lek wielding two lightsabers! “What the hell” was naturally my first thought before I see the words next to it: Jedi Knight III Revealed. World Exclusive. So, where to start? Talking of sabers: Raven Software is trying to put a lot more emphasis on the Jedi’s favourite weapon. While there will still be conventional weapons (even more than in JK II), the current estimate says that around 70% of the game will be spent using a saber. And those 70% look spectacular for sure: according to the article, it will be quite common to face of against several Dark Jedi at once. This is where a new feature of JK III comes into play: you can now combine your force powers! For example, you can fight one enemy with one of your sabres, and at the same time throw the other saber at the next foe! Of course, Raven is adding new force powers to keep the experience fresh for us long-time fans of the series. Other than in JK II, you will now once again be able to choose what skills to advance in one of three levels. And you can choose if you want to follow the path of the light or dark side! This being more than a little touch, Raven promises that the last few levels of the 30-hour campaign will be different for the two sides; same goes for the final cutscene. Which brings me right to the next cool new feature: missions! For the first time ever in an action-game, you will be able to choose which mission to tackle next! There will be a few key mission you have to do at a certain time, but otherwise, you are free in your decisions. Gamestar expects you to spend the time between missions in the Jedi Academy, from where you start on your missions. As I said there will be key point missions, as well as boss fights and side trek missions will allow you to improve your character, and maybe even pure vehicle missions! While JK II placed several levels in the same location, JK III will mostly be one mission in one location. These locations will be a merry mix of places from the movies, books, comics and new stuff. Examples of locales you will visit during your quest are Tatooine and Hoth (including a little ride on a Taun-Taun!)! Raven promises that the levels will often be twice the size of their JK II counterparts, and filled with life: on Tatooine, you will have to fight of Tusken Raiders, which are busy hunting Jawas (poor little guys always get beat up)! The game will once again use a heavily-modifed Quake 3 Team Arena engine, as well as all of Raven’s own enhancements to it! Despite its Age, the screenies sure look spectacular! The multi-player part will also be enhanced, and rumours speak of vehicular combat! And here comes the best part: According to Raven, JK III is 60% done, including story, scripts and levels. So, if everything goes well, you will be able to play it this fall!

And for those who do not leave this DF forum, explore starting here (http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=163) for more info. I know of where there are some pictures, as posted above, but it appears they were taken down.

*looks to make sure no other mods other than The_One and Darth Linux are here*

Alright, I am just helping you out, click before the link to EB is removed. Read the quote above LINK REMOVED (---.com) as well as the only known screens scanned from a magazine.
 Emon
03-31-2003, 11:58 PM
Chang has already confirmed that JK3 will definatly have more externalized data. It makes it easier to develop, easier for us to mod. The new features for SP will be externalized too.

The same engine and codebase make things extremely portable back and forth. DeT told me today (or maybe it was kak) that JO maps actually work in JK3 right now.

Myself and others have been discussing about the benefits of more SP editing to Chang, hoping to persuade him. ;)
 MilesTeg
04-01-2003, 5:52 AM
Go Emon, Go Emon! ;)

@Stormhammer: They already released the ST:Elite Force SP Source Code.
They wonґt have any disadvantages by releasing the SP Code with the game if itґs their last q3 jedi-product.

edit: seems that all this doesnґt matter anymore :( :
http://darkforces.jediknightii.net)
Page: 1 of 1