Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

IRAQ - What should President Bush do?

Page: 1 of 3
 Commander Bond
02-17-2003, 1:50 PM
I live in the good ol' sunny country of England. Watching, reading and listening to the endless news reels, programmes and debates on the television, in the newspapers and on the radio, I can't help developing my own opinions of what is now called "War on Iraq."

So I'm asking you, where-ever you are, what the main man should do. George W Bush seems to have his finger tightly squeezed around the trigger for all-out war, but what would be the best corse of action to ensure world safety?

Please vote, or post another corse of action if I miss something (which I usually do).
 Katarn07
02-17-2003, 1:59 PM
I voted the first one. There are fake Saddams, so once one is dead, the special forces guys are done for. Better to send in the armed services to deal with him like we did in Desert Storm. Only kill Saddam this time. Big mistake not too last time. Lots of crap happening now wouldn't if we had. (Sep 11 would have, yes, I know...)
 Breton
02-17-2003, 2:02 PM
They should both give the weapon inspectors more time and listen to the French and German.
 Darklighter
02-17-2003, 2:05 PM
For God's sake don't run in there and kill everything. This is so stupid, can't anyone see that? They know the American's are going to attack, and they will retaliate. I don't want a war, and I'm sure a lot of people would agree with me if they weren't so damn patriotic.
 SmartDragon
02-17-2003, 2:16 PM
give them more time so that Nato and the UN can come to agreement. It will happen in time, watch Belgium for example. I'm not for war but it will happen and its best if everyone has the same plan and knows what is happening. We don't want the allies killing each other now do we.
 Katarn07
02-17-2003, 2:25 PM
OK. I am totally against the whole, listening to the French and Germans. they're aren't being peaceful. Their just wussin out.

Hey, France! We saved your butts in WWI and WWII, and now that no one is bugging you, and we are under the threat of attacks from Saddam and want to neutralize the threat, what do you do?! Yeah, that's what I thought. You too, Germany... I have always been aggravated with France for their history of wars, but now with Germany, I am really pissed off.

(No offence to the French and German users of this message board, by the way.)

Oh, and allowing the inspectors more time might be alright, but Saddam is moving them all over and we know he's been making them over the past 10 years. He is nearing completion of his nuclear bomb with all his money, probably, so I am sure it'd be best to stick with the first option.

(ANd Commander Bond, if special forces were as succesful as Bond is, I'd vote with you, but I said why that might not be best above)
 Commander Bond
02-17-2003, 2:28 PM
Well done, Darklighter, some very bold comments. I do agree with you, the Americans are a tiny bit too patriotic. Fair enough, love your country, but don't go nuts, eh?

Interesting poinst of view so far... going in and destroying everything would probably incite World War Three, to be honest. The French, Germans and Russians have all pledged against war, so they will be angry with America and Great Britain (I'm ashamed to say it, but it looks like us Brits are being pulled in by Bush). Iraq has many allies throughout the middle-east who have enough power to start their own war.

Do you think it's about oil, and what President Bush could get out of the counrty he invades? I mean, look at it:

Iraq - pleanty of oil and resorces that could prove useful. Sadam a tiny bit evil but not threatening America outright.

Korea - "We have nuclear weapons!" but no resorces like oil. President Bush is un-interested, funnily enough.

Also, could it be to do with the fact that George W has promised his father, Big George ex-President Bush, that he will clean up his mess left behind after the last attack on Sadam Hussain? Coming up with a link between Al Quaida (spelling anyone?), Osama bin Laden and Sadam is a rather weak excuse to attack when your troops have been stationed on Iraq's boarder for several months, eh?

I'm not sure, but in the words of Hans Blix himself, "We need more time!" to find out what will happen.

Get James Bond 007 to infiltrate Iraq and assassinate Sadam, that's what I say... but then, I am English...

:007:
 mace_sundancer
02-17-2003, 2:32 PM
give me an M-16 and an airborne insertion and i'll sort it out...

the thing that p1sses me off is this 'give peace a chance' crad and 'war never solves anything' and calling bush and blair murderers... we've given peace a chance and it's got us nowhere. and tell a survivor of the holocaust war solves nothing. or someone from halabja. oh wait, no hussein killed everyone there didn't he? and bush and blair are not murderers. they want to help save the poor innocent iraqis who are being murdered, tortured and starving at the hands of a megalomaniac tyrant. [/rant mode off]
 Katarn07
02-17-2003, 2:34 PM
Originally posted by Commander Bond
Get James Bond 007 to infiltrate Iraq and assassinate Sadam, that's what I say... but then, I am English...
:007:

I'm American, if there were guys like Bond, sure, send them in!

Ummm, there is no option for Korea. I say do the same thing. And yes, I would be willing to take an M-16 and go to either country to do what I'm ordered to...
 mace_sundancer
02-17-2003, 2:41 PM
the yanks are trying to handle korea diplomatiocally cos they HAVE nukes and could strike tokyo or seoul. iraq has bio and chemical weapons. lesser threat, and iraq has been jerking the UN around for longer and the korea deal is a newer issue...
 Commander Bond
02-17-2003, 2:43 PM
KATARN07, I'm about to pick thgouh our last post!

You think you're so big and clever, don't you? Try taking a few history lessons before you slag off other countries.

You did not save France in World War One and World War Two. The people saved themselves, with the help of the D-Day landings from... oh, that's right: Great Britain! The Nazi Armed Forces may have had France occupied, but the people put up a resistance movement and helped the British soldiers from the inside work their way through and push the Nazi's out. You sent, oh, about five boatloads of troops. Thanks for your massive support.
As for World War One (in fact, just like World War Two), you sat back on your fat butts enjoying your lovely counrty when, all of a sudden, someone attacks you! Time for you to join in, eh? Well done for finally noticing a World War in progress!!!

Sorry... trying to find a peaceful solution to a world crisis is, what did you call it, "wussin out"? Oh, so now trying to save innocent lives both in Iraq and all across the world is just ignoring the problem, is it? Very funny. Your solution will kill, injure and destroy thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of innocent men, women and children. Think about other people before going into your "America Rules!" mode.

Saddam Hussain has a nuclear bomb, nearly completed, and has been playing hide and seek with Hans Blix, has he? Got any evidence anyone? Nope, didn't think so. You've been listening to your propoganda for too long, my friend. George W Bush will say anything for a chance to flex his powerful muscles and show the world what America can do... more-like show the world how many lives America can wipe out in a day. What you think Saddam is doing sounds more like the storyline for the next James Bond film, honestly.

You may well be very patriotic, Katarn07. But try thinking about other people before you attack with all guns blazing. After all, although Iraq is your target, there are hundreds of thousands of innocent people over there who will just happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time... and get a bullet in the brain. Try seeing the bigger picture (and take history classes again).
 Katarn07
02-17-2003, 2:43 PM
OK. I know jack about the Korean situation, so I'll take your word for what to do their, Mace.

BTW Commander Bond: Check your PMs. I sent something to you about Pheonix Rising, more story sugestions.
 Clemme w/Stick
02-17-2003, 2:50 PM
Hmm, I think we should try to avoid war. I say give the inspectors more time..! I'm not a big fan of war, but lets try negotiating first...

-Clemme
 Commander Bond
02-17-2003, 2:52 PM
How dare you try and rope Prime Minister Tony Blair into this crisis with George W Bush?!? Blair himself has been in talks with France and Germany to try and solve Iraq's problems peacefully. The only talks he has attended with your President is to warn George Dubyah that war and violence can only be met with more violence.

The anti-war protesters throughout the world on Saturday gave a clear message, and Tony Blair has acknowledged this message: "War is not the answer, and we are looking all the time for a peaceful, non-violent solution to the crisis. However, if one does not arise, then we must be prepared for the worst."

See? "IF ONE DOES NOT ARISE!" We are pro-peace in Iraq and over this crisis. The only reason our 25th Brigade is out there now is to show support for the case against Saddam Hussain, and if fighting starts our tropos will not go in unless ordered to by Blair and Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II herself(authority comes from the top in our country).
 SmartDragon
02-17-2003, 3:07 PM
come on Blair has been in Bush's pocket for so long I'm starting to think Bush is the real Prime Minister(sp) and I'm British. But recently he does seem to be trying to carm Bush and we all know how well that will go.
 Breton
02-17-2003, 3:13 PM
To those who wishes to assasinate Saddam: This would never be accepted, it is political murder, and strictly forbidden, as it should be. What right does the US have to assasinate other countries' leaders?
 Commander Bond
02-17-2003, 3:14 PM
How dare you?!?

Do you know who the real tyrant is, the real evil dictator? His name is not Saddam Hussain, nor is it Osama bin Laden... no, it's spelt George W Bush.

That's just my two pence, but I think that with everyone else here and all over the world who agrees with me could turn that two pence into two million pounds... British Sterling.

Rule Britannia and long live the Queen.
 Katarn07
02-17-2003, 3:24 PM
Would we want Gore as leader, then?

I didn't think so... All though, it would make better SNL skits. Shouldn't bring that up in serious converstation I guess, sorry.
 Toonces
02-17-2003, 3:45 PM
Do you know who the real tyrant is, the real evil dictator? His name is not Saddam Hussain, nor is it Osama bin Laden... no, it's spelt George W Bush.

Wow, what a completely outrageous statement. You are extremely misguided my friend.

This post has gotten way off topic. Take your propaganda to the Senate. The Swamp is not the place to discuss your political ideology
 Reborn Outcast
02-17-2003, 4:14 PM
Yea take it to the Senate...

I voted give the inspectors more time because going in there full blaze would enrage the world at us.

And Commander Bond, that is one messed up statement considering what Osama and Sadam and all them have done... I think you need to reconsider your values of a "tyrant" because if torturing people, killing people in cold blood, having the sons of top officials test your food for drugs so as to keep loyalty among the troops (this is what Sadam does) and hijacking planes and flying them into buildings is not your idead of a tyrant, you have some messed up values.

And lol no offense but your queen is just there for show... she holds no "real" power. (Trust me on this one.)
 JediNyt
02-17-2003, 4:59 PM
There is too much controversy and too much suspicion over this whole thing. I dont really know what to think anymore. Its hard to trust what anyone says. Most of the world is saying to not go to war and to let the UN do its job and exhaust all possibilities of peace. That seems like the most logical answer. I want the Iraqi people to live and prosper and I want Hussein gone. I know that rushing in guns blazing is not a good idea for either side. So I guess Ill keep my faith in the UN and people like Collin Powell (Secretary of State for the US). They want peace and will do everything they can to keep it. If war is the only good solution then the US better do it right and with the help of the UN. I dont know how to fight this war, Im no general or politician or diplomat, but what I do know is that this job is NOT to be left to cowboy George W. Bush. He may be the end of the US's reputation if he gets his way. I want to love my country but Im afraid of what it might become.
 mace_sundancer
02-17-2003, 5:03 PM
what did i say? don't call bush and blair murderers. nor are they dictators. blair may be ignoring a vocal part of the country but he is doing the moral and ethical thing and trying to stop the real dictator. he is also trying to stop bush from going it alone, it's britain that's made sure the new draft second resolution which is beiing circulated has a 72 hour deadline for compliance and not a 48 hour one.

katarn07, don't take my word for it, look stuff up about the korea deal you can probably find out stuff if you do a google search, but that's my take.
 Breton
02-17-2003, 5:19 PM
Originally posted by Reborn Outcast

And lol no offense but your queen is just there for show... she holds no "real" power. (Trust me on this one.)

She does have a considerable amount of power, it's just that she never use it.
 Divine Spirit
02-17-2003, 5:22 PM
im quite scared that 2 people have chosen the first option - IMO it will only cause even more people to dislike amera and may result in "collateral damage" or the bombing of innocent civilians.

Giving weapons inspectors even more time is useless considering theyve been in there for some time, made a report and we all know how decieving Sadam is with these inspections

A treaty of peace wont be a good idea in case there is a point where i think attacking iraq is a good idea although im not sure of the terms in this treaty

Isnt assasination illegal or something? its a crazy thing to happen, how a country can legally bomb any targets (even civilian) they want and then its illegal to assasinate someone.im not sure of this but i think i saw it on TV so it HAS to be true! :D

No-one on Earth should just forget about this, sadam isnt going to stop.

i chose waiting for the UN because with this way most of the major countries will be in agreement and this option will mean it is less likely that other countries will get p!ssed off with america and britain. most people in britain are annoyed with tony blair as it is :eek: this will also mean that the attackers will have full support. i think its vital in this day and age that countries work together to sort things out and not go it alone.

the way backwards is empires dominating the globe, the way forward is intergalactic senates and senator amidala! :D
 obi
02-17-2003, 5:41 PM
Moved to senate.
 Reborn Outcast
02-17-2003, 6:27 PM
Originally posted by Divine Spirit
Isnt assasination illegal or something?

No but for CIA agents undercover it is illegal for them to do that. A law passed by President Carter prohibits CIA assassination, other than that, nope its not illegal.
 C'jais
02-17-2003, 6:29 PM
The way I think Americans see this war, is a sort of "pre-emptive strike" on Iraq, to prevent their use of WOMD's.

Last time I checked, those same Americans didn't like the idea of having a pre-emptive strike thrown at them back at Pearl Habour. It was done by the Japanese, who believed that USA would threaten the Japanese empire with the entire Pacific fleet located there.

It does seem a bit hypocritical to me, but I guess that example is way out of line as well.

(No offence to the French and German users of this message board, by the way.)

America is the most selfish, bullying and perverse country I have ever seen. They are trying to bully others into accepting their notion of peace, without checking with the rest of the world to see if it's right or not. Hey America, you were founded by Europeans who took the land from natives with slaughter and desecration. So much for equal rights, wussies. And you dare to assume us Europeans owe you anything.

The above was a joke. It is this hypocracy that annoys me to no end. I've met several American uses who turns all flamy when you say bad things about their government and country as a whole - if you accept to not getting riled up so easily, proceed with ragging on the European lapdogs as you prefer.

Bond: It is unwise to meet American empirialism with British empirialism. It seems as if you're even more patriotic than the 'mericans here. Calm down.
 C'jais
02-17-2003, 6:32 PM
No but for CIA agents undercover it is illegal for them to do that. A law passed by President Carter prohibits CIA assassination, other than that, nope its not illegal.

Assassination is strictly illegal according to UN procedures and the international court of war crimes.

If USA ever assassinated Hussein without the consent of the UN, they'd be tossed out as quickly as possible.
 Reborn Outcast
02-17-2003, 6:39 PM
Originally posted by C'jais
If USA ever assassinated Hussein without the consent of the UN, they'd be tossed out as quickly as possible.

Ah my bad. :)

And C'jais, you're little rant (:D ) about America was untrue. The top people may seem that way but have you ever been here? Its sad that the world gets that impression of America when the only people on the news is the President and the overpaid Congressmen. Thats just the mask of America, when you take it off, it looks pretty good.
 C'jais
02-17-2003, 6:46 PM
And C'jais, your little rant (:D ) about America was untrue.

I know. I said it was a joke meant to exemplify K07's stereotyping.

I think America is a great nation, but it's foreign politics leave a little to be desired. Just as people judge European countries by their politics, many people in here judge America by it's politics. What everyone forget is that you can't judge a nation's people by politics alone.
 Reborn Outcast
02-17-2003, 6:54 PM
I know. I said it was a joke meant to exemplify K07's stereotyping.

Oh ok sorry I didn't see that. :D

I think America is a great nation, but it's foreign politics leave a little to be desired. Just as people judge European countries by their politics, many people in here judge America by it's politics. What everyone forget is that you can't judge a nation's people by politics alone.

Yea Bush does seem like he wants to control the world... but he does have many people whispering their "advice" into his ears.
 git_sum_stuka
02-17-2003, 9:33 PM
fine, bomb em if ya want. think about all the innocent people that are gonna be killed. and after that, go bomb another country.
 El Sitherino
02-17-2003, 10:15 PM
shoot himself right in the head.
 daring dueler
02-17-2003, 10:24 PM
first off the whole french german thing is crap! france has trade with iraq for oil so if we go in they gave nothing to buy or trade!

i honestly think, more time lets saddam think of new ways of hiding bombs. i say we bomb em. and really this is gonna be harsh but there are gonna be sivilain casulties! no matter what , itll happen. now honestlt think which country would you rather have lose life. i know its harsh but its life deel with it.
yeah assination is illegal against the un but if we do it rite they wont be able to prove it:D . and arnt having chemical and biological weapons against the un so iot all evens out.
although bush is not our best president its a hell of alot better than gore could do. if your from the us most agree waiting is ronk i think but you brits or what have you ..... what if this was hapening to your country , would you wait for the un to find nothin again and give saddam more time to make bigger bombs?
 Arkum
02-17-2003, 11:40 PM
basically, the authority of the UN is being challenged. What i mean by that is that the UN's ability to regulate the world is being challenged. The nations in the UN have to resolve this matter quickly and not stall is what mi trying to say. So far ,they're makin some progress.

But I think North Korea is a BIGGER issue than Iraq because North Korea does have nuclear weapons. Iraq may have, but the issue wuth Iraq is Disarmament. they havent done so and the government is getting impatient.

What i think is that we should attempt to AVOID war, BUT if we haveto, if it is absolutely NECESSARY to go t owar with Iraq, then we should, but only if it is necessary. In the meantime, we should try to get some cooperation and resolve this matter ina peaceful way.
 ET Warrior
02-17-2003, 11:43 PM
As for World War One (in fact, just like World War Two), you sat back on your fat butts enjoying your lovely counrty when, all of a sudden, someone attacks you! Time for you to join in, eh? Well done for finally noticing a World War in progress!!!
Hummmm, either you don't know your history so well, or I dont know my history so well, which means i wasn't paying attention in class all last week........but when did we get attacked to bring us into world war I?

And it's not like we didn't know there was a war......we were simply remaining neutral. If that's a crime yell at spain and switzerland as well. THEY were neutral through the entire thing. And they're IN europe where the war took place.
 wassup
02-18-2003, 1:51 AM
Hummmm, either you don't know your history so well, or I dont know my history so well, which means i wasn't paying attention in class all last week........but when did we get attacked to bring us into world war I?

The Germans were using U-boats (submarines) to harass US merchant ships in the Atlantic ocean on their way to and from Europe. Also, in 1917 (i think), German U-boats sank a massive cruiseliner (forgot name, begins with L) almost as big as the Titanic, which had roughly 100 Americans onboard. So, from a certain point of view, Commander Bond is right...

As from Iraq, I think this is what the US should do (long one)

First, the US should gain as much support from the international community as possible, especially from the EU (European Union, not Expanded Universe) and the Iraqi people. After, they should heat up tensions btwn Saddam and his people and let the people overthrow the government, with the US providing military aid to control the situation and prevent as much bloodshed as possible without becoming too influential in the region. Saddam would either be killed in the ensuing rebellion or be taken prisoner by NATO and charged with war crimes like Milosevic (Yugoslavia). After the overthrow of Saddam’s corrupt regime, The Iraqi people should be introduced to democracy, the theory of a republic, and have themselves set up a working government that adjusts to their own needs without major US influence (like setting up a pro-Bush governor). Let the Iraqi people be their own judge.

Saddam regime needs to go, that is a must. Saddam is a bad man, who has done bad things, that is for sure. He and his regime have committed numerous crimes in the past, including the torturing of his own people and even captured POW's. Young women have been gang-raped in front of their own families. POW's that were captured in the Gulf War were beaten, raped, beaten again, forced to sit in an acid bath, beaten once more, and electrocuted. "Interrogation of prisoners" turns into "Beating the living BS out of them" in the eyes of men working under Saddam. So, the ultimate goal is to oust Saddam’s corrupt organization.

However, the US needs to first acknowledge and respect the opinions and ideals of the international community. Hello, Mr. President Bush, but the US is not the only nation in this world. There are other people in this world, and to truly pull this mission off as a success we need their utmost support.

Why, you ask? Because if we don’t, first, their will be much rebellion and revolt against America among a majority of the world, and second, the Iraqi army will have gained tens of millions of civilian soldiers ready to die for their illegimate and ineffective government. The Iraqi people are poor, they are hungry, they want the restrictions off their backs imposed upon them by Saddam, but they are too afraid or whatever to voice their opinions. All they want is a better life, whether from Saddam or from a foreign intervention. Right now Bush is not guaranteeing them that. They do not know if their lives will improve after a foreign power takes over and establishes a democracy. All they have known their entire life is to live under Saddam. So, if the US cant guarantee them a better life, then of course they will fight to the death to keep their lives as they are right now and stop unpromising foreign intervention.

Furthermore, if the Iraqi people are caught in a possible war, then they will be counted as civilian casualties by the international community, whether Bush likes it or not, and therefore will create further dissent and resentment. This could even quell up into the next World War if the world is not careful. All these and more are reasons why Bush and his administration should take this step by step and work as a team with the international community to a common goal, which is ousting Saddam and his very very bad regime, instead of creating tension and strain btwn US and foreign relations.
 ShockV1.89
02-18-2003, 9:13 AM
Ho hum... :rolleyes:

Why do these debates always turn into giant WWI and WWII history lessons?
 ET Warrior
02-18-2003, 9:47 AM
Originally posted by ShockV1.89
Ho hum... :rolleyes:

Why do these debates always turn into giant WWI and WWII history lessons?

Because everybody loves history lessons.................

The L ship you are thinking of is the Lusitania.
 TheHobGoblin
02-18-2003, 10:40 AM
How dare you?!?

That's just my two pence, but I think that with everyone else here and all over the world who agrees with me could turn that two pence into two million pounds... British Sterling.

Rule Britannia and long live the Queen.

Guess what Mr.Bond. It's not spelled that way. In fact that isn't correct. Because the evil dictator and the tryant is Saddam and Bin Laden. Bush is fighting back defending. Who told those people to ram the plane in to the WTC? Bin Laden, who told those people to ram the plane into the pentagon? Bin Laden. Yet who supported Bin Laden's attack? Saddam. But , my friend, who fought back defended his country, the people, their dignity? Well fo hell it's not Bin Laden or Saddam. It was George W. Bush. Now if you have a problem with people who defend and fight back then you need to seek some help.
-TheHobGoblin
 C'jais
02-18-2003, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by TheHobGoblin
Yet who supported Bin Laden's attack? Saddam.

I wasn't aware that Hussein supported the Al Queda network.

Sourcage?
 griff38
02-18-2003, 11:43 AM

Sourcage?

That 1 came form 11th hour U.S. propoganda. We have heard the Bush admin talk about Iraq & Al Queda for 2 YEARS and just in the last 2 weeks they have been talkin about how the 2 are linked. (polls that week showed the U.S. people would be alot more supportive if they thought there was a link)

Bush & Powell claim some obscure radio broadcast gleaned from ten billion radio & cell comunications was Bin Laden talking about supporting Iraq.

Now, let me ask you this, Why would Bin Laden send a radio message supporting Iraq THE VERY DAY COLIN POWELL WAS TRYING TO CONVINCE THE SECURITY COUNCIL THEY WERE LINKED?

Sounds like Bin Laden is on Bushes side now. Or it was a total fake.

You decide.
 wassup
02-18-2003, 12:10 PM

Crazy American media...:D

Both Bin Laden and Saddam Hussien need to be brought to justice, along with those people that have helped these evil dictators in their foul plots and schemes. However innocent people just trying to live out their lives do not and can not die in the process of bringing these 2 men and their wicked organizations to justice.
 Psydan
02-18-2003, 9:18 PM
Wow, Been doing some reading, and I found out that Iraq's government is a republic (wow, I thought it was dictatorship), and that they have like 3 1/2 million men fit for battle (we have like 71 million available). BUT, Our president seems to want to make everyone an enemy(War on terror, Axis of evil speach, etc.) Every major ally says it's a bad idea. Iraq doesn't seem to care about war, and seem to accept it with open arms, especially with Saddam seeming to have weapons that he needs to hide. Is it a good idea? Im beginning to think not...
 El Sitherino
02-18-2003, 10:20 PM
theres no way hussien and bin laden can be connected. bin laden wants a theocracy ( god run govenrment) hussien wants a dictatorship ( hes in control)
 C'jais
02-19-2003, 8:18 AM
Originally posted by InsaneSith
theres no way hussien and bin laden can be connected. bin laden wants a theocracy ( god run govenrment) hussien wants a dictatorship ( hes in control)

LOL

What's stopping the two from connecting? :p

Dictators from since the dawn of civilization has used their "God-given" right to rule as an excuse. Who can oppose the rule of a man who is communicating with the higher powers? How can he be wrong?

Look at the world - What does Bush, the Pope and Hussein all have in common? They're devout believers, and they all wield enormous power. Just look at the speeches by Bush - "God is with America!", "God damns the Iraqi people!", I believe in God and he told me a war is necessary!" etc.
 SkinWalker
02-19-2003, 12:44 PM
LOL

What's stopping the two from connecting? :p

I think Bin Laden despises Saddam. Saddam is far from devout Muslim and has too many western habits, such as his love for gambling. I've always thought it ironic that we should attack the one country in the Middle East where the government appears to take precident over the religion. In all other Middle Eastern countries, the government is controlled by religious ideology.

In Iraq, for example, there is much more gender freedom than in other states. There is also a population of Christians in Iraq.

It doesn't negate the fact that Saddam is a tyrant, but I still maintain that Bin Laden has no love for Saddam. More than for Bush, but not by much.

SkinWalker
 SkinWalker
02-19-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by wassup
Crazy American media...:D

Both Bin Laden and Saddam Hussien need to be brought to justice, along with those people that have helped these evil dictators in their foul plots and schemes.

If we set a precident for imposing sanctions or military action on every state ruler that rules a country in ways that we disagree with, then we are going to be quite busy over the next few hundred years.

Bin Laden certainly deserves the Iron Fist approach, but then he organized a direct attack on American soil as well as other sovereign countries.

I'm not saying that I agree with Saddam, but it's clear that he is no more dangerous to the United States than any of 5 or 6 other state rulers. In fact, I would argue that he is less dangerous simply because of the risk of reprisal that he knows of first hand.

This soon-to-occur war isn't about terrorists, oil, or weapons-of-mass-destruction. It's about saving face and perhaps one or two hidden agendas by, and for, the Bush Administration.

To all those who are not American, please don't judge our country by the actions of a few. True, we voted the current president into office, but history will (most likely) show that we voted his ass out as well. Hundreds of thousands of American citizens recently protested the Bush Adminstration decision to go to war. Bush rebuked this demonstration of democratic freedom as insignificant.... but it clearly bothered him.

The voice of reason sometimes cannot be heard right away, but it is being spoken.

SkinWalker
 Kurgan
02-19-2003, 1:42 PM
I'm really not too excited about another war with Iraq. Sure, if the Allied forces played their card right, they could "clean their chronometers" (to quote the general in Star Trek), though I wouldn't be surprised if there was a big chemical "revenge" attack... or launch against Israel at the end (both of which wouldn't be out of the question for Saddam...).

The war has so many potential problems with it, far more than a cakewalk like Afgahnistan. More people don't need to die for this...

I say use all diplomatic and non-lethal measures to clear this up. Give the weapons inspectors more time, more power, use all available means to bring this to a peaceful end.

I swear though if I hear one more person who says "let's nuke the entire middle east" or some other such nonesense, I'm going to get really mad... ; p

The US isn't perfect, Iraq isn't perfect, the UN isn't perfect, and neither is any country in the middle east (including Isreal). But that's no reason to commit mass murder. Trust me, there are people out there that seem to believe that this is a worthy solution. THANK GOD they aren't in charge of weapons of mass destruction!

If we do go to war (again) let's be sure we do it right this time, and prepare for the consequences. Get Saddam out of power, replace him with a democratic government of the people, and rebuild their country.

Though, it seems like if we want to avoid more terrorist attacks, attacking Iraq would probably be more likely to set them off, rather than stop them.

I'm glad we can still have a mostly civilized discussion around here, btw. Kudos!
 griff38
02-19-2003, 2:29 PM
Originally posted by Kurgan

I swear though if I hear one more person who says "let's nuke the entire middle east" or some other such nonesense, I'm going to get really mad... ; p

You are a patient person, perhaps if our leaders were as Virtuous as you we would have resolved this by now. But since that is unlikely for the near future, (until we get rid of Bush) war will happen. The rich get richer, the poor get poorer, those in power get more, the guilty go unpunished and the innocent suffer.
Page: 1 of 3