Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Emi

Page: 1 of 1
 SigENeaT
01-29-2003, 4:20 AM
just curious if there is a method to extract various files [sounds, gfx even models] from emi as you can with SCUMM Revisited....

not a must but i was curious on doing so =P
 john_doe
01-29-2003, 7:04 AM
Yes, I made a program some years ago that can view the background images etc. and extract all the data. The models, too, but there's AFAIK no viewer or converter yet.
Sadly my site had to be taken down (but it'll come back) and LucasHacks seems to be down currently...but I think they had a download for it. The name is "EMI Resource Viewer 2.1".
 SigENeaT
01-30-2003, 3:20 AM
thanks fer that =P

could it get voice as well?
 Ender
01-30-2003, 3:43 AM
Hey, while your here... :)

Have you pulled a Serge and lost the code for it? If not, I'd love to get my hands on a copy.. one of my side projects - as a kind of a companion to ScummVM - is a new ScummRev-esque datafile viewer... I figure we've worked out so much more in ScummVM that its about time I put some of these codecs in a nice accessable external library *g*
 khalek
01-30-2003, 8:30 AM
it would be nice if such a viewer allowed plugins to handle different block types so people could easily distribute/contribute code to handle say blocks for things the original program doesn't support etc

so wxWindows, fltk or given up on the whole cross platform idea? :)
 Ender
01-30-2003, 8:36 AM
Originally posted by khalek
it would be nice if such a viewer allowed plugins to handle different block types so people could easily distribute/contribute code to handle say blocks for things the original program doesn't support etc

so wxWindows, fltk or given up on the whole cross platform idea? :)

The current plan is:

[Windows GUI] [GTK Gui] [QT Gui]
\ | /
--------------------
|
LIBLUCAS
/ | | | | | | | | \
[block format plugins]

(edited to display properly)
 Serge
01-30-2003, 12:47 PM
I got the code from Ben at one point. May still have it somewhere. I'll check when I get home (and wait for Ben's approval to send it to you, Endy ;) )

Actually, SCUMMRev3 was supposed to be plugin-compatible (with PCM-streaming sound codecs, BMP-outputting image codecs etc.). But again, Windows-only. And never done. So, good to see you do it ;)

- Serge
 Serge
01-30-2003, 12:49 PM
Err... Ben = John_Doe. And come to #scummbag, Endy (if you're here :) )

- Serge
 Serge
01-30-2003, 12:54 PM
Actually, I won't bother... Either Ben is trying to keep some secrets, or he just got the site back...

http://gamefileformats.netfirms.com/cgi-bin/list.cgi?cat=LucasArts)

Hope I didn't let out a secret there. Sorry in that case :)

- Serge
 john_doe
01-30-2003, 1:51 PM
Hey! I even forgot about this site myself! I created it in a hurry when my original site (at VirtualAve) was taken down and completely forgot about this one :)
(Btw, the GameFileFormats will be back somewhen this year.)

Concerning EMI voice support:

I had a little command line tool done that converted the compressed waves to standard PCM waves but lost the source code to this (and along went a sh*tload more :() in a HD crash...

However, this shouldn't be hard to implement, as the voice codec is essentially the same as in GrimE except for something I forgot :)
For the tool I blatantly ripped the GrimE wave decompression code out of the ScummRev 2 source and tailored it to fit the EMI wave format.

@Ender:
Cool idea with the "universal" LucasArts viewer/ripper/[place fancy sounding description here].
This is something I wanted to do since Serge temporarily abandonded SR.
I even had some file reader plugins done (for GrimE & EMI LAB, BUN and LB8) but th design was so crappy I never got it done (btw, this was lost in the crash, too).
 SigENeaT
01-31-2003, 4:50 AM
also keeping within context of my original question-would it be possible to rip the monkey kombat section of emi or would u have to take everything out separately and run it in your own front end?

i lub monkey kombat =P you could do all the diff scenes as well
 Ender
01-31-2003, 6:58 AM
Originally posted by SigENeaT
also keeping within context of my original question-would it be possible to rip the monkey kombat section of emi or would u have to take everything out separately and run it in your own front end?

i lub monkey kombat =P you could do all the diff scenes as well

It'd be easier to clone it, but you COULD in theory write a small LUA interpreter just to run that specific scene.
 john_doe
01-31-2003, 7:20 AM
Well, as there is a LUA decompiler that spits out pretty much usable files, one could find out how EMI calls/starts the combat scenes and make it the starting room or call it from there.
And as LUA can also run non-compiled scripts you wouldn't even need the LEC modified LUA compiler, you'd just have to put it back in the right resource file, or probably not even that because EMI also looks for normal files (like GrimE) I think.

I didn't check if this would actually work, of course.
 SigENeaT
02-01-2003, 9:24 AM
so in english...that means it can be done? ;)
Page: 1 of 1