Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Star Wars vs. LOTR

Page: 1 of 2
 boinga1
01-20-2003, 5:38 PM
Well, there seems to be a lot of rivalry between these two here. Vote! I say SW despite my avatar.
<-----------------------------------------<
 JediNyt
01-20-2003, 6:03 PM
Star Wars. I just like it better. Simple.
 Hekx
01-20-2003, 7:04 PM
LOTR & SW. :p

LOTR has what SW doesn't have... and SW has LIGHTSABRES! ;)
 teutonicknight
01-20-2003, 7:16 PM
I'd say SW. Because of lightsabers, of course!

:lsduel:
 Tie Guy
01-20-2003, 7:52 PM
LOTR doesn't even come close to SW in terms of movies. LOTR would just be another decent action movie with lots of holes if everyone wasn't so up in the books.
 Notion
01-20-2003, 8:54 PM
Star Wars has something LOTR can't grasp... A bigger, growing, and expanding universe.
 Katarn07
01-20-2003, 9:00 PM
Originally posted by Hиkx Nтxъ
LOTR & SW. :p

LOTR has what SW doesn't have... and SW has LIGHTSABRES! ;)

lol.

SW, I like sci-fi more than Fantasy...
 Ratmjedi
01-20-2003, 11:10 PM
Well it looks like everyone in here loves Star Wars. I have to say Star Wars because I was brought up with it. LOTR is new and I haven't been so into it as I have been with Star Wars. Also like Notion said it has a bigger, growing, and expanding universe.

:lsduel: :duel:
 Dragonlancer
01-21-2003, 12:23 AM
Ok, I voted lotr and I'll tell you why in a second. I was brought up with both star wars and lord of the rings.

I think lord of the rings has a better written storyline, better actors and quite a few better things.

Star Wars has lightsabers. That in itself is almost enough to tie with lord of the rings.

The reason it may be slightly more popular is because of the gaps in star wars. J.R.R. Tolkien left no holes for people to wonder about in lord of the rings. Little left for speculation, everything was tied up.

George lucas didn't exactly ever end it, he made the begining and there's so much room for speculation. You know, that one other jedi that survived the jedi purge that no one ever knew about. Stuff like that. When there was just the original trilogy, there was mystery surrounding the past. There is some of this in LOTR but not much.

In short, I think they are both excellent works of art. George Lucas and all of those guys worked hard on Star Wars, and so did everyone who worked on Lord of the Rings.
 Ratmjedi
01-21-2003, 12:44 AM
Well GL didn't spend his whole life writing the story and all that stuff. You have to remember that Tolkien was trying to make a mythology for the UK and he wanted it to be very good. He made up everything including the languages and stuff. GL was just trying to make something like that. He was trying to make a epic like the Iliad and that's were he got his inspiration. Tolkien got his from all the mythology that was around the are. France, Germany, Italy and all that stuff.

GL was also trying to make something that was new like the future and the stuff. It was stuff that was far ahead of our time and was suppose make people look ahead at the future.

I realy like Star Wars because of the technology. It's Sci-Fi and that's what I love to watch and read. LOTR isn't Sci-Fi and is more mythological. I really don't like that kind of stuff cause I personally like to hear about the future and stuff like that. I do have to admit that LOTR is good though even for not being Sci-Fi. I like it and it is the only thing that I like that involves scorcers and magic and stuff like that.
 Murtaugh
01-21-2003, 6:32 AM
it's so hard to choose.. my 6 favorite movie's in order..
1. Return of the Jedi
1. LOTR: The 2 towers
1. Empire Strikes Back
1. Attack of the Clones
1. STAR TREK 2: THE WRATH OF KHAN!
1. LOTR: Fellowship OTR
Yeah thats right! They are all tied for first!!!! I guess i'll just go with Star Wars.
 leXX
01-21-2003, 6:46 AM
Star Wars is my preeeccciiiioooouuuusssss! :D
 Boba Rhett
01-21-2003, 7:11 AM
Originally posted by Tie Guy
LOTR doesn't even come close to SW in terms of movies. LOTR would just be another decent action movie with lots of holes if everyone wasn't so up in the books.

Shwa? :indif: Many many people saw the movie(s) without reading the book(s) and yet still think it was great. You shouldn't make such broad/blind assumptions such as that.

When's the last time you sat back and really looked at the Star Wars movies? They have just as many problems as the lotr movies do, if not many many more.

Why do we even have to choose? The movies aren't even remotely related to each other. I want a "I love both" option.
 leXX
01-21-2003, 8:00 AM
That can be arranged! :D
 Tie Guy
01-21-2003, 3:12 PM
Originally posted by Boba Rhett
Shwa? :indif: Many many people saw the movie(s) without reading the book(s) and yet still think it was great. You shouldn't make such broad/blind assumptions such as that.

My opinion, Rhett, of course. I would say that the reason the vast majority of people like it is because of the books. I've read some of the books, but not too much, and i think it was a decent movie, certainly not anything very special.

Think about it. If the books never happened, and LOTR the movie was just made out of the blue, like SW, i very highly doubt it would be the even remotely close to what it is in terms of popularity. I just don't see how you can say it would have the exact same popularity etc. without the books.

And the last time i really watched the SW movies, which was last week, i can't see any visible holes. Holes and mistakes are not te same however. LOTR has large gaps in the storyline that SW doesn't have, and i assume that they aren't there in the books, but that speaks nothing for movie itself.
 Boba Rhett
01-21-2003, 3:40 PM
Actually, I think that it may have been even more popular if there was never a book behind it all. There owuldn't have been any squabbles about things being left out and other things being stuck in. :D
 Purple_Tentacle
01-21-2003, 7:59 PM
how popular do you think starwars episode 1 would have been without the original trilogy behind it ?

hmmm..come to think of it, it would probably fair pretty well.
 Jatt13
01-21-2003, 8:01 PM
well, i voted LotR.

LOTR is new

uh, LotR came out way before star wars did. just fyi.

you can't really compare Star Wars and LotR, because they're in 2 eperate genres: SW in Sci-Fi and LotR in Fantasy. but i like LotR better b/c there is so much history in it. tolkien, as has been said, spent his life creating the history, languages, and people of his stories, and he still didn't complete it. that's how much detail he put in it. he created an ENTIRE FRICKEN LANGUAGE BY HIMSELF, for cryin' out loud. and he didn't just write the LotR, he has a lot of other books a/b middle earth out there. now, if you compare the movies and the books, you can see that the movies suck. they leave out and put stuff in, and there are tons of holes. but i'd have gone and seen it if i hadn't ever read the books, or if they hadn't been written.

now, don't get me wrong, i like SW a lot, too. i just like LotR better. :D
 Tie Guy
01-21-2003, 8:49 PM
Jatt, read your post. You're comparing LOTR the books to SW the movies, and thats not the topic. We're comparing the movies, and thats all.

Thanks for proving my point, though. ;)
 Lord Glorfindel
01-21-2003, 9:30 PM
They BOTH ROCK!!! LOTR has great visuals and scenery, and SW has Technology and THE FORCE. Their both have great movies.
 Ecks_Gecar
01-27-2003, 7:20 AM
LOTR is new and I haven't been so into it as I have been with Star Wars. Also like Notion said it has a bigger, growing, and expanding universe.

LOTR is not NEW turst me the books have been around for ages.

StarWars is just plain better! Sure LOTR has its good moments but SW is a classic and always will be.

Look at the video games for example whats better?

StarWars Galaxies or the Two Towers?
 Ecks_Gecar
01-27-2003, 7:20 AM
LOTR is new and I haven't been so into it as I have been with Star Wars. Also like Notion said it has a bigger, growing, and expanding universe.

LOTR is not NEW turst me the books have been around for ages.

StarWars is just plain better! Sure LOTR has its good moments but SW is a classic and always will be.

Look at the video games for example whats better?

StarWars Galaxies or the Two Towers?
 JediNyt
01-28-2003, 11:35 AM
Whoa hold up there, what happened pal? Did the forum malfunction when you replied or did you just keep reposting? I suggest you errase those extra 14 posts.
 Wraith 8
01-28-2003, 12:30 PM
well i already did. i gave you 2 posts... just because im nice... but you lost those posts and points there.

be patient with the reply button. click it only once. and if you are not sure your post makes it.. just Ctrl a in the text screen and ctrl C.. then you can post the same thing next time.

My opinion.
I LOVED THE LOTR. both movies Rocked.
but i like star wars a bit better. i grew up in the 1980's and 90's with both Star Wars and Star Trek.. first i loved star trek better.. cause i thought they had better agreements.. but then i stubled acroiss the EU.. and loved it. so since then im a GREAT fan.

i never read the Lotr. i wasnt planning to either...im a big freak with SW already... i dont know if my family can handle Lotr with combination of SW ;) :p
 Devil Doll
01-28-2003, 2:17 PM
I agree with that :p

I Prefer SW movies, cause you can see how much they spend making the movie, and i donґt talk about money, itґs a better movie and it has a good end!!!!!! :p

I really like LOTR but I hate to see the end of the movie and donґt think anything good about that, they can make it like harry potter, SW or any other movie with a second or third part, you can make something to end the book and not just to say to be continued...
 Darth Groovy
01-28-2003, 3:25 PM
You know here is the thing, This is LUCASFORUMS and yet everywere I go it's LOTR This LOTR That, TTT, Matrix, whatever, Blah Blah Freaking Blah! Here we have a brand new Star Wars Forum, and This poll pops up again.

Star Wars Rules, the rest are contenders, leave it at that.
 Breton
01-28-2003, 4:26 PM
Originally posted by Devil Doll

I really like LOTR but I hate to see the end of the movie and donґt think anything good about that, they can make it like harry potter, SW or any other movie with a second or third part, you can make something to end the book and not just to say to be continued...

This is because LOTR isn't a triology, it is an continious story, but it is split into three parts because no one would like to sit and watch the same movie for 9 hours, or carry around a book with over 1000 pages.
 Arkum
01-28-2003, 7:31 PM
LOTR is not new, it has been around since the 1950's. I voted for "I love both"

SW is great, especialy 4,5, and 6. Episdoe 1 was sweet, i dont know why people say they dont like it.
Episode II was pretty good, I thought the dialogue couldve been A LOT better, though. But hey, the last scene was GREAT.

LOTR is f&*^ing AMAZING!!! I read the books and then i saw Fellowship of the Ring, it was sweet! Two Towers was great too, just great. JM Qui-Gon is right, too: it is a continuous story split into 3 parts to make reading easier and now, watching it easier. Cant wait for Return of the King.

Actually, Im gaining more interest in LOTR and slightly losing interest in SW.
GL beter make Episode III great, because its the final movie, he has to finish it off with a bang!
 leXX
01-28-2003, 8:00 PM
Originally posted by Darth Groovy
You know here is the thing, This is LUCASFORUMS and yet everywere I go it's LOTR This LOTR That, TTT, Matrix, whatever, Blah Blah Freaking Blah! Here we have a brand new Star Wars Forum, and This poll pops up again.

Star Wars Rules, the rest are contenders, leave it at that.

Yes Groovy, this is a Star Wars forum but do you really expect people to not like anything else or want to discuss other films?
 Darth Groovy
01-28-2003, 8:11 PM
What other films? It's always Matrix and LOTR, Always!!!!

:eek:
 leXX
01-28-2003, 8:16 PM
It's because there is a lot of activity with these films atm. AOTC, Reloaded/Revolutions, TTT/ROTK. What do you expect?!
 Ratmjedi
01-28-2003, 9:45 PM
I am with leXX. This may be a Star Wars Forum but we also do have other intrests and likes you know. It's bound to pop up. Just like you like 007 Groovy. We could say the same thing but there isn't a lot of new stuff with 007 these days. The other movies are just works in progress and there are a lot of people that have that taste so that is why there is stuff like that in here. I am suprised that there is very little ST stuff here cause it is another popular franchise.

Darth Groovy
01-28-2003, 10:56 PM
I just think it would be nice to see more variety in thread making. Matrix and LOTR threads have been done over time and time again, it's just getting too repetitive. Nobody ever talks about TV shows, or Terminator 3 anything like that. Don't get me wrong, I like the Matrix, and LOTR as much as the next guy, but people are just soooooooo obsessed with it. It doesn't matter though, I got caught on the computer at work, and I got a love note from my boss, not to use the computer anymore, so I won't be around as much anymore. Take care all. :cry7:
 Ratmjedi
01-29-2003, 12:07 AM
Sorry to hear that man. That really blows. Now what are you going to do at night while you guard the place that you guard?

It's going to be real boring. You can still sneak every once and awhile. Just give it some time and then he'll forget about you even using the laptop and then you'll be able to get on easily but secretly. ;)

It is going to be a little sad without you being here at night and posting those funny Sp@m pictures that you have. I always get a laugh off of those.

We'll still leave the light on and the door unlocked for you.

leXX
01-29-2003, 5:03 AM
Ah man Groovster, that sucks! :( Hopefully he will forget about it soon eh. ;)

Back to the topic - yes people are sooooo obsessed with them but isn't everyone here just as obsessed with Star Wars? I do talk about other films though, T3 and X2 etc but these are very exciting times for LOTR and Matrix so expect to hear a lot about them. :)
 Darth Groovy
01-29-2003, 11:37 AM
I can admit, I'm obsessed with Star Wars. I can Recite the OT from any point. I have had my room decorated with posters and collectables since my childhood. I do try and contain my addiction as much as possible. Too me, it is a part of me now. :)

I talked to my boss this morning, he's not singleing me out. There is a bunch of people using the computer, and he is just passing the message to me. I guess I can blame it on January. Stupid Stuff like this always happens when bosses get bored. ;)
 leXX
01-29-2003, 1:31 PM
I admit I'm obsessed with Star Wars, The Matrix and the internet. ;)
 Wraith 8
01-29-2003, 3:22 PM
*wonders what his obsession is*
no doubt... STAR WARS BABY!
 Darth Groovy
01-29-2003, 8:24 PM
Originally posted by leXX
I admit I'm obsessed with Star Wars, The Matrix and the internet. ;)

That is not obsession, [dracula voice]"The Net is the Life!"[/dracula voice]

Anyways, I found another thing that bugs me about LOTR.

[$.02]

The Names.

How much ganja was Tolkein smoking when he came up with names like; "Frodo", "Pippin" , and "Gandalf"?

Gah!

Frodo.

What is his nickname? Fro?

Pippin?

"Pip"? "Pippy"? Pippin ain't easy after all.

Gandalf.

Sounds like a side affect of the flu. I hear someone say Gandalf loud enough, I either get out of the way or say "kazuntite(sp?)".

One thing in common with all of them, is with names like these, all of the above are guarenteed to get their asses kicked in High School. Sorry folks1 :p

[/$.02]
 leXX
01-30-2003, 4:32 AM
lol, come on Groovster, you trying to tell me the names in LOTR are any less ridiculous than the names in SW! :D

Human names:

Wedge Antilles
Nyrat Agira
Hermione Bagwa
Biggs Darklighter
Mon Mothma
Lorth Needa
Barriss Offee
Luminara Unduli
Jek Porkins
Elan Sleazebaggano

etc etc etc

:lol:
 Darth Groovy
01-30-2003, 5:13 AM
Oh ok woman! Bring It!:p

One word:

Lightsabers!:smirk2:

That's right it's one word, meaning many lightsabers.

Lightsabers Vs a fancy schmancy whoop de doo ring? No contest!

When all the bull is said and done, it's still a ring!!:eek:

:D
 leXX
01-30-2003, 8:00 AM
lol BRING IT ON! :D

It is the one ring! One ring to rule THEM ALL!

The two films shouldn't be compared, they both have their merits. ;)
 Darth Groovy
01-30-2003, 8:09 AM
Ahhh, two unecessarily long films vs 3 faced paced well orchestrated tales of adventure and good vs evil? Bah! I think not! :p
 leXX
01-30-2003, 8:14 AM
Heh, don't get me wrong, I much prefer SW over LOTR BUT, I would have to argue that LOTR is a well paced, well orchestrated tale of adventure and good vs evil too!
 Darth Groovy
01-30-2003, 8:17 AM
Yeah, but the OT has the Millenium Falcon, it would be hard pressed for anything of LOTR to surpass the falcon! :p
 leXX
01-30-2003, 8:44 AM
Oh come on, now you're just being silly! :p Like I said, you shouldn't compare the two, they are totally different from each other. ;)
 Wraith 8
01-30-2003, 1:12 PM
Originally posted by Darth Groovy
That is not obsession, [dracula voice]"The Net is the Life!"[/dracula voice]

Anyways, I found another thing that bugs me about LOTR.

[$.02]

The Names.

How much ganja was Tolkein smoking when he came up with names like; "Frodo", "Pippin" , and "Gandalf"?

Gah!

Frodo.

What is his nickname? Fro?

Pippin?

"Pip"? "Pippy"? Pippin ain't easy after all.

Gandalf.

Sounds like a side affect of the flu. I hear someone say Gandalf loud enough, I either get out of the way or say "kazuntite(sp?)".

One thing in common with all of them, is with names like these, all of the above are guarenteed to get their asses kicked in High School. Sorry folks1 :p

[/$.02] did you ever see GL making the special edition? he saw the RONTO being formed and move.... its line a brontosauris..... hey.. lets call it a ronto....
 Darth Groovy
01-30-2003, 3:26 PM
Oh come on, now you're just being silly! :p Like I said, you shouldn't compare the two, they are totally different from each other. ;)

And with that, this poll should cease to exist!;)

"So what I told you was true, from a certain point of view..."

_Obi-Wan Kenobi
 leXX
01-30-2003, 5:54 PM
So basically you are saying you shouldn't choose which one you like better because SW rules and you shouldn't like anything else or talk about anything else especially in a SW forum. Come on, be serious.
 Darth Groovy
01-30-2003, 6:29 PM

:smirk2:
Page: 1 of 2