Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Star Wars vs. LOTR

Page: 2 of 2
 leXX
01-30-2003, 7:09 PM
This poll isn't comparing the two, you are. The poll is simply asking which one you prefer. :p ;)
 Darth Groovy
01-30-2003, 7:38 PM
Oh thats easy, I'm a Trekkie! :p

Live long and prosper! ;P
 Katarn07
01-30-2003, 8:01 PM
You 2 are really funny when arguing.... :D :p :D :p :D
 leXX
01-30-2003, 9:04 PM
We aim to please. :D
 Ratmjedi
01-30-2003, 10:44 PM
I would never call myself a Trekkie.
I do know some ST stuff but I am not like the other guys who breath and live it. All I ever watched was Voyager and DS 9. And when ever I could an occasional TNG.

:duel: :lsduel:
 Lord Glorfindel
01-30-2003, 11:38 PM
How much ganja was Tolkein smoking when he came up with names like; "Frodo", "Pippin" , and "Gandalf"?

Tolkien based his characters names out of his head, other character names from other books, and the languages he created for M-E.
 Darth Groovy
01-31-2003, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Katarn07
You 2 are really funny when arguing.... :D :p :D :p :D

Yeah but leXX is my hero. She helps me on my website, and is a good friend. She knows im doing this just to give her a hard time. All BS aside, LOTR is a different relm set in a different era. I tend to stick with Star Wars because that is the first thing I was ever interested in as a kid, and never shook the habit. I realize LOTR has messages as well, but I will remain loyal to the OT, until the day I depart from this world. So far, Empire is my favorite film! :p

Oh, yeah and leXX is and always shall be my hero, or heroine!;)

Edit- I was only kidding about the Star Trek bit. I said that only to be awnry, because I know this is leXX's territory, and I like to keep her busy! :p

I will be Star Wars all the way until I die! ;)
 vegietto
02-01-2003, 12:19 AM
star wars is my fav and it always will be, i mean lotr is ok but star wars is alot more better to me
 leXX
02-01-2003, 8:16 AM
awww Groovs, I'm so touched... :ball:

You know I love these little 'arguments' of ours, like you say, keeps me busy! :D You are my hero too mate. ;)
 Sam Fisher
02-05-2003, 6:27 PM
i have to say i like SW and LOTR both...
 BCanr2d2
02-06-2003, 6:20 AM
Hey, LeXX, you mention that the LOTR movies are well paced, do you think sometimes that the SW movies don't have the same pacing? Or are more built on being in general a faster paced movie, that always builds to a crescendo at the end?

IMO, I think that if we took some of the pacing from LOTR, and applied it to some scenes in SW, perhaps we would have a film that showed us what we needed to see, and not have only the super addicted freaks - IE us! that know all the ins and outs of it all. GL is a man that believes that 120 mins is about the time a movie should tell it's story, and IMO some scenes and plot lines suffer for it, for the pieces on the cutting room floor (Or in the Recycle Bin for AOTC) can be pivotal in showing us what we need to know.
If they had Eowyn in a SW movie, I would swear that they would show her fleeting look over her shoulder towards someone like Han, and from that we are meant to get that there is a strong attraction between the two. LOTR allows it to play out over more than one scene...

And I see that SW: KOTOR will outsell LOTR:TTT on XBOX here in Australia, they both are released on the same day here....

LeXX, and Darth Groovy, just keep it G Rated in here OK!!
 SmartDragon
02-17-2003, 2:56 PM
I love both but then I am a huge fan of both Sci-fi and Fantasy, hence my fav books are sci-fan. both brill films in their own right and for some of the same but mainly different reasons, don't ask me to name them its just instinct.:)
 Clemme w/Stick
02-17-2003, 3:17 PM
I love both. The only problem is that you cant compare them. SW and LotR are 2 completely different things, but still I enjoy both of them!

-Clemme
 Fraydenz
02-18-2003, 5:48 AM
Star Wars.

Although since the LoTR movies have come out, I have found myself getting more interested in that story again. Over-all, tho, it's gotta be Star Wars...there's just so much to it.
 TK-99
03-10-2003, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by Darth Groovy
Yeah but leXX is my hero. She helps me on my website, and is a good friend. She knows im doing this just to give her a hard time. All BS aside, LOTR is a different relm set in a different era. I tend to stick with Star Wars because that is the first thing I was ever interested in as a kid, and never shook the habit. I realize LOTR has messages as well, but I will remain loyal to the OT, until the day I depart from this world. So far, Empire is my favorite film! :p

Oh, yeah and leXX is and always shall be my hero, or heroine!;)

Edit- I was only kidding about the Star Trek bit. I said that only to be awnry, because I know this is leXX's territory, and I like to keep her busy! :p

I will be Star Wars all the way until I die! ;)

Ya Dark Groovy! STAR WARS tilll the end of time Baby! Starwars rules!! over LOTR
 ckcsaber
03-12-2003, 7:22 PM
Star Wars, just because. Hmph!
 Echuu Shen-Jon
03-13-2003, 1:58 PM
I like them both very, very much. Got Lord of the Rings The two Towers last week, and it is... can't tell how good it is! But it isn't like Star Wars. I just like Star Wars most, because of the lightsabers, but also because of this huge amazing universe. Tolkien has also made an enormous universe, which I like very much too!
 Echuu Shen-Jon
03-13-2003, 2:08 PM
Originally posted by SmartDragon
I love both but then I am a huge fan of both Sci-fi and Fantasy...
and
Originally posted by Clemme w/ Stick
I love both. The only problem is that you cant compare them. SW and LotR are 2 completely different things, but still I enjoy both of them!
Both of you: "As taken out of my mouth!"

Sorry for posting two posts, but I didn't felt it was right to squeeze them together in one post!
 Pnut_Man
03-13-2003, 2:11 PM
Lotr and Star Wars bring me equal amounts of enjoyable, that's all I have to say ;)

I must admit that I've been obsessed with Star Wars for the past few months. It's just that in my eyes LOTR is a classic which layed down the foundation for every other modern fantasy, for that it will always be equal to Star Wars.
 boinga1
03-13-2003, 6:16 PM
Originally posted by Echuu
...Got Lord of the Rings The two Towers last week...

wha?!!? the two towers is out? you mean on video/dvd?
 Darklighter
03-13-2003, 7:48 PM
I can't see anyway that you can even compare these two series of films. They both have so many opposing redeeming features that it is almost impossible to judge which one is better.

Personally though, I would say I prefer Star Wars. I'm not saying it's better, just that I've grown up with Star Wars all my life, and only really got into LOTR when the films came out...so I was kinda following the crowd lol.

But for Star Wars to last this long and still be so damn popular...well that's saying something;)
 Echuu Shen-Jon
03-14-2003, 9:22 AM
wha?!!? the two towers is out? you mean on video/dvd?
I have it on DVD (:p), because I saw a place where I could get it! It's maybe a copy, because the special-feature-part doesn’t work! But it's not out! And it's not me, who is a bad-boy:)
 Taos
03-14-2003, 5:18 PM
I think it's like comparing apples vs. oranges. They're both nice and juicy....wait, they're both great movies and they both have things about them that will make them be around for years to come! :D

I've very much enjoyed the LOTR books....I just started with ROTK, so I should be done with that before the movie is released!

As far as the movies.....I can't compare them, I enjoy them both so much! :)
 Snafu7
03-22-2003, 7:29 PM
I definately liek lotr more
Page: 2 of 2