Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

A Christian or a Hypocrite?

Page: 3 of 5
 C'jais
01-21-2003, 7:37 AM
Originally posted by meadfish
Now, I think I will resume the task that brought me to this forum in the first place: How do you make your name invisible on the duel list?:confused:

I recall it being done by simply making a [space] or a "^" as a name.

I'd advise you don't do this though. You tend to come off a prick, instead of the mysterious black knight most people feel like when they're doing this. Similarily, it's bad etiquette to name yourself "Padawan" when you're obviously experienced in the game - anyone with an ounce of brainpower can see you're not trying to be funny or masquerading, just an arsehole.

If you really don't want people to know your "real" nickname, simply use your imagination and come up with another. Examples I've used include Harry the Hairy Horse, Punky the Blue Panda, Fluffy the Pink Wabbit, Gendy, Entropy, Max Gay etc.

As for the Creationist comments, continue that discussion in the designated thread (Here (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=89510))
 meadfish
01-21-2003, 6:49 PM
Thanks for the tip Cjais, I was curious more than anything. I think I'll pass on the creationism thread, I'm exausted from this one! :whacked:

Btw, I think I have lost to ALL those nicknames you listed ;)

See ya all in the ring....
 TheWhiteRaider
01-22-2003, 1:17 AM
How many pick up Jesus in the middle of their lives without haven been presented to him as childs? [/B]

Ah hem.

Tony Stagner At Age 27
Sharon Stagner At age 24
James Perlof At Age ???[He was a hippy in the 70's]

Those are a few people I know personaly.
 ShadowTemplar
01-23-2003, 11:08 AM
According to the rules (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=64362) of this place its users are prohibited to:

in any way, insult (or "flame") someone else on the board. People may not be insulted just because their opinion differs from your own. Flaming includes calling people names, insulting them in any way or saying offensive things to them. (Own italisation, Templar.)

The statment that: "(Your) faith/belief is nonsense/idiocy" shoots at the faith or belief, not the person. Therefore it is not "insulting someone". It is insulting something (belief). I have called no names. And "saying offensive things" has not so far been interpreted as posting:

1) Facts. (http://www.betterhumans.com/Features/Columns/Transitory_Human/column.aspx?articleID=2002-12-15-2)

2) Advertising for genocidal organisations:

I don't mean to sound ignorant or high and mighty (and I don't want to offend anyone) but it is above all other religions because it is the only one that leads to Heaven. All others do not.

Reborn Outcast

3) Bashing other people over the heads with arbitrary statments that their beliefs are false:

And yes my GOD is real yours is not!

Mandolorian54

4) Accuse people of supporting undemocratic, theocratic ways of life:

Mandalorian 54, you should move to Indonesia, Sudan, Saudi Arabia, China, and other Middle Eastern countires. Sounds like you really would love to live at those places.

FunClown

5) Debasing or ridiculing the works of the great men and women whom we owe our entire technological level, liberty, and democracy. Insulting the memories of great people like Darwin, Newton, Voltaire, Montesque, and the rest of the crowd (just flip through one of the "Science vs. Creationism" threads to see examples of this).

I personally find this very offensive, but I don't report it to MODs, because I find it silly to run crying to the MODs whenever someone challenges your way of life. Rather I try to point out why it is wrong to challenge rationalism (but then again, I actually have basis for my arguments).

So, to sum up: There are three kinds of flaming:

1) Name calling.

2) Insulting someone.

3) Posting offensive things.

1) I never did that. If you think that I did, then quote me.

2) I never insulted anyone. I threw flak after a concept.

3) If (big if) calling someone's faith/opinion/political standpoint/etc. silly/foolish/ect. is cause for a ban, then everyone I mentioned above should have been banned (notice the past tense).

Therefore this place would be in a fine mess if (in more than one sense of the word) overzealous MODs ban people for ridiculeing faith/religion. You know who I am talking to [/sarcasm].

q.e.d.
 C'jais
01-23-2003, 11:28 AM
As expected, I concur with ShadowTemplar here.

Not everyone who voices a loud and dissenting opinion is a troll.

If you don't like to experience totally opposite views on religion than yours, get out. Don't visit this forum, where it's most of all bound to happen.

As for insults, it doesn't work the way you want it to. "My trust in Windows is a part of who I am". Not. You can insult my favoured brand of keyboards, and I'll be able to take it as an insult based on your definitions.

Seperate beliefs and self. Seperate insults and objective criticism.

If you ever ban someone here on the basis of insulting religions, I'll be the first to leave, and you'll find this forum mod-less.
 Reborn Outcast
01-23-2003, 11:49 AM
Shadow and Cjais I don't know if you even bothered to read my post at the top of page 3 but I replied about a belief thing...

Beliefs MAKE UP who we are. You don't believe in Jesus or God or Heaven which is why you argue about it so much because it is your person. It is who you are. Obi and I belive in God and Heaven and that affects WHO WE ARE and how we live. Beliefs DO make up who a person is.

Can you argue with that? I dont' see how MY faith and beliefs aren't a part of myself.

And Shadow in fact you did insult Christians by saying this...

Originally posted by ShadowTemplar
When do you feel "God" speaking? When you're on hashish?

Hmm that sounds like an insult to people who have had an experience with God.
 C'jais
01-23-2003, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Reborn Outcast
Can you argue with that? I dont' see how MY faith and beliefs aren't a part of myself.

What is a part of ourselves? My chosen eyeliner? My car?

It's false reasoning. It's an unfounded claim. It won't do.

Idols come and go, but your self will never cease to exist (right?).
 ShadowTemplar
01-23-2003, 12:15 PM
Shadow and Cjais I don't know if you even bothered to read my post at the top of page 3 but I replied about a belief thing...

How are your opinions different from yourself? Your political standpoint? Yet if I can prove that your opinion is idiotic (idiotic=Showing foolishness [foolishness=Lacking or exhibiting a lack of good sense or judgment; silly: foolish remarks. according to www.dictionary.com]) or stupidity. according to www.dictionary.com), what then?

Faith is a lack of "good sense" (sense: A perception or feeling produced by a stimulus; sensation: a sense of fatigue and hunger. www.dictionary.com), since it ignores the senses (science).

Therefore faith is foolish.

So exhibiting faith is exhibiting foolishness.

And exhibiting foollishness is idiocy.

Therefore any comment exhibiting faith is an idiotic comment, any belief exhibiting faith is an idiotic belief.

q.e.d.

And Shadow in fact you did insult Christians by saying this...

Hmm that sounds like an insult to people who have had an experience with God.

I give you this (http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,3604,869273,00.html)

"Neardeath" or "neargod" experiences are both caused by the release of hallucinogens in the brain (fact). So when you experienced your "contact" you were either:

1) Suffering from severe stress or trauma.

or

2) On some heavy **** (crack, pot, or religion* (remember this (http://www.betterhumans.com/Features/Columns/Transitory_Human/column.aspx?articleID=2002-12-15-2) before you go through the ceiling)).

*The opiate of the people, according to Marx.
 obi
01-23-2003, 5:22 PM
You are pushing me. I did NOT threaten a ban because you have a different view. I DID threaten a ban because you are INSULTING a view. That is NOT accepted, as I have Clearly stated. One more, you are out of here.

Got me?

Also Cjais, you should not encourage others to insult other's beliefs. Disagreeing with someone is different then insulting their beliefs. As someone said earlier in this thread, beliefs=the person, for which I agree with that statement.

Posted by Cjais

I'll be the first to leave.You'll find this forum mod-less

It will not be mod-less, trust me there. That "I am going to quit" attitude doesn't flow well with me. Quit if you want to. Stay if you want to. Either way, I will not stand for someone insulting another persons beliefs. I do not insult non-christians.I haven't done so in this entire thread. I would like the same courtesy.
 ninja
01-23-2003, 6:16 PM
i have my own theory of christianity. and this may upset christains. i am not a christian. anyone who does'nt rush out to accept jesus as their savior is automaticly condemed to hell, nomatter what your moral character is. even if i were to live my life by the ten comandments, i dont lie, i dont steal, cheat, kill ect. if i dont believe in god do i still go to hell? the answer in the bible is a big fat yes. of course if your a christain who has commited violations against god, you can still accept jesus after your crimes and still go to heaven. what sence does that make? apperantly the christain god is just so vain and insecure he has no choice but to burn your flesh in hell for all eternity. fortunately for murderers rapists and child molesters if you choose to be born again and accept jesus in your heart the christain god is very kind and loving. christains can learn a thing or two from a religeous leader. buddha explained to others that human suffering was caused by earthly wants. suffering can be ended by ridding the self of wants. anybody who disagreed with buddha was allowed to do so without buddha continuing to bother them. he did'nt insist on knocking on the doors of those who disagreed with him, to distribute little drawings he made of them suffering in hell for all eternity. he did'nt participate in the writing of a book in which he was depicted as a vengful buddha who enjoyed smighting the wicked with his magic super powers that could flat out the earth, or cause global wide pestulance. i have studyed many religions and found only buddhism to be my only calling. i used to be a christian years ago, and refused to accept certain things. buddha is not a "GOD" he speaks of a god, the creator. but to me buddhism is the universal cosmic brotherhood.
 BCanr2d2
01-24-2003, 7:03 AM
Beliefs=oneself is actually more of a twisting of words, a long accepted figure of speech that people use.

I believe that the sun will rise tomorrow, by your logic, if you said it didn't, it would be attacking me directly. Extreme, but it is what some of you are trying to say.

Your beliefs are something that you have acquired in life, rather than "belonging" to you. It is a conscious decision on how to interpret things, so it is no different to that of learning maths or geography.

Am I meant to be not accepted because I don't believe in Christianity, or due to that I am no longer of god's image? Do the four surgical screws in my knee no longer make me "pure"? After all, I am no longer all human.......
 C'jais
01-24-2003, 9:07 AM
Originally posted by obi-wan13
You are pushing me. I did NOT threaten a ban because you have a different view. I DID threaten a ban because you are INSULTING a view. That is NOT accepted, as I have Clearly stated. One more, you are out of here.

Insulting a belief, or insulting a person? We've got the English language and the forum rules on our side here, and if you do decide to go through with this, you'll have to ban people who have insulted my beliefs and others, as well. In fact, if you're so concerned about this, you should have banned a dozen people in the swamp who apparently could pass under this rule.

Do what you want, but I'll truly call every Christian a hypocrite if you do start to ban people for this.

Also Cjais, you should not encourage others to insult other's beliefs.

And where did I do just this? You should have known that when you created this forum, it'd attract immature zealots from all over America. I can't ban or do anything about them.

I'm simply stating that if you don't like the idea of nasty views on religions getting thrown in your face, don't visit this forum. But we are responsible, mature adults in here, and we generally do back up our claims with sound proof. If I state Christianity is a disgusting, murderous organization, I can prove that with real numbers and numbers of cultures and civilizations it has destroyed or banished. You can try to refute this by saying that those who did it weren't Christians (and I can accept that), but in the end, it was the same organization who contributed to it. Like communism.

Disagreeing with someone is different then insulting their beliefs. As someone said earlier in this thread, beliefs=the person, for which I agree with that statement.

You agree, yes. It doesn't make it true. But you're in charge, so you can really do whatever you want.

We've worked our way down towards the level where kids argue over which console is better - Xbox or PS2? Those are beliefs as well, a bit smaller than full blown religions, but we should respect them as well, no? Only when we start getting into a rational discussion comparing prices, processor speeds and save game choices can we truly assert which console is better, and the same goes for religion.

That "I am going to quit" attitude doesn't flow well with me.

It was not so much a "I'll damn well quit if this continues", as much as it was an observation on the fact that I'm now the only Mod assigned to this forum (barring the Supermods, o' course).
 Reborn Outcast
01-24-2003, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by BCanr2d2
I believe that the sun will rise tomorrow, by your logic, if you said it didn't, it would be attacking me directly. Extreme, but it is what some of you are trying to say.

No we're trying to say taht if I say that your stupid for believing that the sun will rise or that that belief is stupid... thats insulting the person.
 C'jais
01-24-2003, 11:10 AM
No we're trying to say taht if I say that your stupid for believing that the sun will rise or that that belief is stupid... thats insulting the person.

That didn't make sense at all.

So I'm insulting the person if I prove he's dead wrong?

I'm insulting your beliefs if I prove you're dead wrong?
 Reborn Outcast
01-24-2003, 11:49 AM
No Cjais, I'm trying to say that if I call your belief stupid, I'm insulting you. Also I'm insulting you if I say you're stupid for believing it.
 C'jais
01-24-2003, 12:24 PM
No Cjais, I'm trying to say that if I call your belief stupid, I'm insulting you. Also I'm insulting you if I say you're stupid for believing it.

No you're not. On both accounts.

But I'll call your dubious debating technique stupid if you don't present evidence of me being stupid or living in a fantasy world.

A question to the mods: Would you accept if we went after the organizations? Can I say the Christian Church has done horrible, nonsensical deeds, and that its beliefs are abject unreal and disproven long ago? Is that okay?
 Reborn Outcast
01-24-2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Cjais
No you're not. On both accounts.
Do you mean "No you're not insulting me" or "No you're not rying to say that"?
 Luc Solar
01-24-2003, 12:34 PM
OK THIS IS MY THREAD AND HERE'S HOW IT'S GONNA BE!

Uhmm..on second thought...I'll try a different approach. :)

My daddy once told me -

....My daddy once told me -

STOP LAUGHING and pay attention!

*ahem*

My daddy once told me:

"Feel free to disagree with people's views, but remember: only the issues are fighting, not the people!"

I agree with Cjais.
We should be able to debate things without people feeling insulted every time someone says something they don't like or agree on.

It was very, very close that I didn't start a new thread a while ago when my entire post was edited, because someone couldn't handle the fact that I used the N-word in a 100% non-racial context. That thread would have surely been locked in no time. It would have been a major pain in the mod's ass. :p

But I also agree with Obi-van13 and some others. There's no need to be rude. At some points that fine line was crossed.

Saying that you "do not believe in something that can't be proven" is much better than saying: "how can anyone be so retarded, so damn stupid that they believe in ridiculous, idiotic crap like that?!".

I'm sure you get my point. Meadfish said it already, but I'll say it again: No need to be rude. :)
 C'jais
01-24-2003, 12:38 PM
No Cjais, I'm trying to say that if I call your belief stupid, I'm insulting you.

Let's see... suppose I postulated the earth is flat. It's a belief, and an obviously false one at that. Should I stand insulted if you called me stupid for believing in such a false postulate? Of course, if you don't present the way the earth really exists, I won't go about believing you - I need real facts to be convinved.

Also I'm insulting you if I say you're stupid for believing it.

Am I stupid for believing the earth is flat? A resounding "yes".

Can you go about calling me stupid without presenting some proof of it? Of course not.

Let's try another example: Am I stupid for believing you're being mind controlled by kung fu fighting squirrels from the planet of Gmekzrooos? Can I prove you're wrong? Is it obvious that there's no way to prove it, but that it is equally obvious there's no need to believe that?

You provide the answers on this one.

EDITAGE: Well put, Luc.

Can I call you Jean-Luc? :p It sounds better that way :D
 Luc Solar
01-24-2003, 1:49 PM
Can I call you Jean-Luc? :p It sounds better that way :D

Well, lemme think about that... umm....Hell no! :D

That sounds too bald. It still got a few more hairy years ahead of me. :)

OMFG! eye_m teh l337 JEDI!! PH34R!!! :D
 obi
01-24-2003, 5:20 PM
Insulting a belief, or insulting a person? We've got the English language and the forum rules on our side here, and if you do decide to go through with this, you'll have to ban people who have insulted my beliefs and others, as well. In fact, if you're so concerned about this, you should have banned a dozen people in the swamp who apparently could pass under this rule.

Give me names, and I will be more the happy to send out a warning PM to the ones who have insulted your beliefs.

posted by Cjais
And where did I do just this?

"I agree with ShadowTempler, as to be expected"

Right there.

posted by Cjais

You should have known that when you created this forum, it'd attract immature zealots from all over America. I can't ban or do anything about them.

If they are doing something to insult the way you live,or what you believe yes you can. Inform someone with a higher power on the boards, and the case will be looked in to.

You agree, yes. It doesn't make it true. But you're in charge, so you can really do whatever you want.

I am surprised you don't agree with me there.Do you live by how you believe?

We've worked our way down towards the level where kids argue over which console is better - Xbox or PS2? Those are beliefs as well, a bit smaller than full blown religions, but we should respect them as well, no? Only when we start getting into a rational discussion comparing prices, processor speeds and save game choices can we truly assert which console is better, and the same goes for religion.

You have a point there.

It was not so much a "I'll damn well quit if this continues", as much as it was an observation on the fact that I'm now the only Mod assigned to this forum (barring the Supermods, o' course).

My mistake, I misunderstood your post. :cool:
 C'jais
01-25-2003, 11:11 AM
All forgiven Obi.

I'm seriously thinking about closing this thread if it continues this way. It'll only serve to rip up old wounds and create deep hatred and resentment among the forum goers.
 ninja
01-25-2003, 12:57 PM
religion is too big and too deep an issue. this should have never been a thread. with religion there will always be clashes.
 C'jais
01-25-2003, 1:12 PM
Originally posted by ninja
religion is too big and too deep an issue. this should have never been a thread. with religion there will always be clashes.

If you cannot question that which your fellow humans go about believing, we will truly have some great clashes.

The thread was a valid one. If another like it is created in the future, I'm not going to stop that either.

I value the freedom of speech much greater than that of a self-censored, immature forum. Make no mistake.

But this really is starting to degenerate into petty hatreds for each other.
 ninja
01-25-2003, 1:17 PM
see, i have my own views on certain religions, but i dont go around insulting the users in the forum. i can handle criticizm, but lashing out at others thats not cool.
 obi
01-25-2003, 1:17 PM
Agreed, Cjais.

As I recall someone saying somewhere,

"Religion is good. Religions are bad."

I find this a valid and logical remark.
 Reborn Outcast
01-25-2003, 3:12 PM
Originally posted by ninja
see, i have my own views on certain religions, but i dont go around insulting the users in the forum. i can handle criticizm, but lashing out at others thats not cool.

Was that an insult to Cjais? He didn't do anything except put up an arguement which is exactly what this thread was supposed to do.

And obi I don't quite get that quote lol.
 ninja
01-25-2003, 3:30 PM
@ reborn outcast. see its guys like you who start trouble. instagating stuff. first if you dont know the flavor of the kool-aid. second how the hell did my reply indicate i was insulting cjais. me talking about not insulting others in this forum was a concern from someone who replyed earlyer. i just went on to showing a good example. state your views but not insult others. insulting others is not cool. i was'nt even speaking to cjais. i was speaking to all. get your info right before you say something about me.
 Reborn Outcast
01-25-2003, 4:09 PM
Ok ninja I admit I went overboard a little. But just wondering, did you read all 120 posts in this thread before you posted or did you just read the last page... just wondering, I'm not trying to start something.
 Luc Solar
01-25-2003, 4:40 PM
Hahaha..

It seems no-one really remembers anymore what this thread was supposed to be about. :D

Somehow it turned into an argument about whether or not Christianity is dumb.

The point of the thread was the alledged hypocrisy of "christians".

But by all means - don't let that little detail bother you... :D
 Reborn Outcast
01-25-2003, 4:45 PM
Originally posted by Luc Solar
The point of the thread was the alledged hypocrisy of "christians".

But by all means - don't let that little detail bother you... :D

Yes and I'm sorry to say that for the most part it is true. From the song, "What If I Stumble" -DC Talk

The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today is Christians. Who acknowledge Jesus with their lips and then walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

So true and yet so sad, I admit that I still do that sometimes, all Christians do. :(
 obi
01-25-2003, 6:16 PM
all Christians do. :(

No, many do. Not all. ;)

I am not trying to be self-rightouss, but I don't...

and obi i don't quite get that quote

I meant that having one person believe something is good. However, put him in a room with someone who doesn't,give them a pair of boxing gloves,cause it's most likely gonna turn out bad.
 meadfish
01-25-2003, 8:15 PM
HA!! You thought I was gone! I am, but I wanted to clear up one other item.......Catholics are definitely NOT being mind controlled by kung fu fighting squirrels from the planet of Gmekzrooos!!

Sorry, had to. :D
 C'jais
01-25-2003, 8:23 PM
HA!! You thought I was gone! I am, but I wanted to clear up one other item.......Catholics are definitely NOT being mind controlled by kung fu fighting squirrels from the planet of Gmekzrooos!!

Nice try ;)

Prove it :)
 Reborn Outcast
01-25-2003, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by obi-wan13
No, many do. Not all. ;)

I am not trying to be self-rightouss, but I don't...

I meant every once in a while, not consistantly. :)
 Luc Solar
01-26-2003, 3:32 AM
Catholics are definitely NOT being mind controlled by kung fu fighting squirrels from the planet of Gmekzrooos!!

Cjais is right. If you don't have any scientifical proof to back that up... :rolleyes:

And it's Gmeczroosh, not "Gmekzrooos"! :swear:

:D
 Crazy_Ivan
01-28-2003, 8:57 PM
Im a Christian...born and raised....and I know it gets incredibly boring sometimes.....and it seems the lectures are cyclical. Most seem to go in a circle BUT

What you put in it is what you get out of it.

Enough Said.
 vegietto
02-02-2003, 7:56 AM
i am a true christian i just don't go to church, well i do go sometime but not much andi do read the bible but not very often as i should but i am a true christian
 Prometheus
02-06-2003, 2:38 AM
I won't hash out the details of Christian validity as I feel God can do that for us ;)

Glad to see people arent afraid to show there beliefs here. The gaming community as a whole sits behind an image of non attachment to anything remotely resembling God.

For those who care to look I come from here -

www.christiangaming.org/redeemed)

we are a Christian JO clan and have a great community. I dont need to advertise anymore.

Its easy to become caught up in worldy ways by denying God... but its good to see most of you dont have any issues with that sort of pride. :)

God bless - happy gaming
 C'jais
02-06-2003, 8:41 AM
Originally posted by Prometheus

Its easy to become caught up in worldy ways by denying God... but its good to see most of you dont have any issues with that sort of pride. :)

Caught up in worldy ways?

Explain yourself.

And it's imspossible to deny something that hasn't been proven, that isn't fact and that has not yet been connected with the objective world.

Denying facts, on the other hand, can easily be done.
 Prometheus
02-06-2003, 2:18 PM
lol ... denial is comparative to simple non belief or acceptance.

People denied that the world was round all the while not having tangiable evidence that a single person had fallen off the edge. is is NOT impossible to deny something that hasnt been proven. you really need to redefine deny or denial bub otherwise you'll stumble over your own fallacies.

The denied the fact that it IS round because the were able to explain that concept way with something more "logical" ... the same way people find ways to explain the non existance of God.

While it would never be in my best interest to force someone like yourself to accept the existance of God, conceptually we are to desire God and to have faith in his existance and plan for mankind.

By all means i am no shepard .... but i have come from a secular life of always asking God to show up ...to a life where I realize he exists and waits those who seek him faithfully. :)

As far as "worldy ways" thats definately a subjective term that people like myself shouldnt throw around. but I think my perception of it is simply living life according to mans law ..or mans social norms ... rather than Gods Law. Sometimes I justify things that are accepted in society ..but would be probably not be accepted by God. In that case I become REAL sinner because I know right from wrong. but thats between God and I. ;)
 shukrallah
02-27-2003, 3:53 PM
Originally posted by C'jais
Sorry Obi, I was thinking aloud. I meant what I said though, I truly do believe that there aren't any other real ways to become Christian these days. That's just how it has always seemed to me, here in heathen Denmark. Over here, anyone who calls himself a Christian has probably never prayed, read the Bible or gone to church apart from the usual ceremonies. Not kidding. They simply believe there's a higher power and leave it at that.

But hey, if it's different conditions over there, I'll gladly listen.

I pray every night, something different. ive read the entire bible, and still read it every day. i go to church almost every sunday. im a christian. and im going to stay a christian no matter what.

and your wronge about your 2 ways, people become a christian. i wasnt like that....i read the bible before i even knew what a christian was...so i already knew stuff, and was kind of following God but not really, then my mom became a christian, and she told me the next day, and i decided to become a christian too.
 Breton
02-28-2003, 4:07 PM
Originally posted by Prometheus
lol ... denial is comparative to simple non belief or acceptance.

Let me remind you that you are denying God's non-existance.

While it would never be in my best interest to force someone like yourself to accept the existance of God, conceptually we are to desire God and to have faith in his existance and plan for mankind.

Why? What practical use does this have for the community? And what has God done for us anyway? Don't just say he created everything, because there is no reason to belive that, and that is totally a statement based on lack of knowledge of the nature around us. Who invented the car? Humans, not God. Who are making it possible to visit other planets? Humans, not God. Why give all the credit to a guy that hasn't done anything?

Ok, let's see it this way: I am a God and am all-powerful. I made the flowers, the bees, animals, planets, everything. And now I have written it down on a book. You shall belive in me or despair, because I am right and everyone who disagrees with me are wrong. Now, tell me what is the difference between me and your God? Why is it easier to belive in the other god than in me?

In that case I become REAL sinner because I know right from wrong. but thats between God and I.

There is no right or wrong. I hate the fact that people belives right and wrong exists. You have no idea how many lives that statement have costed, how much misery it has created, and the whole right-wrong thing can be killed with logic. But if anyone here still belives in right and wrong, then tell me: What is right? What is wrong?
 Crazy_Ivan
03-01-2003, 1:08 PM
The bible is a book. "Good start" you all say. But you have to remember about the Old Testament and well the New Testament that: Jesus always told parables. As a Christian, I also believe that the Bible itself is a set of parables that are there to guide us or better ourselves. One time on a trip with my church (As long as im Christian and have a relationship with God, the name doesnt matter), This girl sitting next to me refered to the Bible as "Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth". Now your probably thinking, "hmm this seems strange," but if you think about it for a long enough time, it helps us better ourselves.

The story of Adam and Eve tells us that we should listen to God.
The story of Noah tells us that we should trust in God.
The story of Jonah and the Whale teach us that God is always there. All of these examples were from the Old Testament.

Now, about Organized Religion. Its had its ups and downs as a whole. Im not Catholic, but I realize they have some pros and cons like everything. I dont believe you can worship a Pope, when that position was more of a political nature ages ago. The Great Schism, an event hundreds of years ago, was where there were actually 2 popes! One French Pope was elected and he moved the Papacy to Avanion France. After some years everyone got angry and elected ANOTHER pope to reside in Italy. Each pope denounced each other as "The AntiChrist." In short, there are problems in how we, as humans, interpret teachings.

It may seem like in ranting Catholics, I truly tried not to. I was just using The Great Schism as an example to show that organized religion can foul up at times. But we must always remember that Interpretation of God's Teachings is what differs between the many different forms of Christianity.

I am a devout Christian that does not hide behind Jesus as a mask. I don't preach about sinning and then go commit one. Sin is something that may be unavoidable. But God teaches us that Sin is forgiveable. But Guilt is the downside to a sin. God also entrusts us with a conscience. We have the power to decide right and wrong. If we choose poorly, we are forgiven by our Creator, but Guilt haunts us. So, in short, some Christians are hypocrites. I may be sometimes, but I go on living a life and repenting what I have done. Im sorry for harping like this but thanks for listening.
 Reborn Outcast
03-01-2003, 2:23 PM
Originally posted by JM Qui-Gon Jinn
Let me remind you that you are denying God's non-existance.

Isn't that circular reasoning which you so hate?

Godd explanation Crazy.
 C'jais
03-01-2003, 2:32 PM
Isn't that circular reasoning which you so hate?

It is not circular reasoning to see there's no proof of God's existence. Which means there's no reason to believe he exists.

Godd explanation Crazy. ґ

While it was a fine theological speech, we can't use it for anything.

What the Bible says is irrelevant, as it cannot prove itself.

The story of Adam and Eve tells us that we should listen to God.

God cannot be measures or observed, meaning there's no reason to believe in him.

The story of Noah tells us that we should trust in God.

The fairy tale of Noah, while uplifting, is simply not true and can thus be discarded except as a moral reminder (which we can easily get from other, less false sources).

The story of Jonah and the Whale teach us that God is always there.

You can't survive in a whale's stomach, no matter what the Bible tells you, making it in fact dangerous to believe, as you'll be more inclined to wait for God to come to the rescue.

There's no air. There's no water. There's a very strong acid in the stomach that will immediately start to decompose and digest you.

All of these examples were from the Old Testament.

Of all the books I've read, the Old testament is the most bloody, self-defeating load of poodoo I've ever laid my eyes on. The new testament is alright, if the "Revelation" part of it is discarded. Otherwise it's the same, crappy, false and hypocritical dung.
 obi
03-01-2003, 6:01 PM
Actually, the Bible never says a whale swallowed Jonah. It just said a "big fish."

I don't know if that means much, just a small fact to post.
 munik
03-01-2003, 8:01 PM
Another small fact is that while the Bible may not have said a whale swallowed Jonah, Jesus sure as sh*t did(matthew 12:40).

Oh, wait.....yep, after rechecking the facts, I can confirm matthew is a book in the Bible.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.
 Reborn Outcast
03-01-2003, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by munik
Another small fact is that while the Bible may not have said a whale swallowed Jonah, Jesus sure as sh*t did(matthew 12:40).

Oh, wait.....yep, after rechecking the facts, I can confirm matthew is a book in the Bible.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Umm there is a book in the Old Testament that is called Jonah :eek: and in CHAPTER 1 IT TALKS ABOUT JONAH BEING SWALLOWED BY THE FISH. So umm... please read before you post.

Jonah 1 The word of the LORD came to Jonah son of Amittai: 2 "Go to the great city of Nineveh and preach against it, because its wickedness has come up before me."
3 But Jonah ran away from the LORD and headed for Tarshish. He went down to Joppa, where he found a ship bound for that port. After paying the fare, he went aboard and sailed for Tarshish to flee from the LORD .
4 Then the LORD sent a great wind on the sea, and such a violent storm arose that the ship threatened to break up. 5 All the sailors were afraid and each cried out to his own god. And they threw the cargo into the sea to lighten the ship.
But Jonah had gone below deck, where he lay down and fell into a deep sleep. 6 The captain went to him and said, "How can you sleep? Get up and call on your god! Maybe he will take notice of us, and we will not perish."
7 Then the sailors said to each other, "Come, let us cast lots to find out who is responsible for this calamity." They cast lots and the lot fell on Jonah.
8 So they asked him, "Tell us, who is responsible for making all this trouble for us? What do you do? Where do you come from? What is your country? From what people are you?"
9 He answered, "I am a Hebrew and I worship the LORD , the God of heaven, who made the sea and the land."
10 This terrified them and they asked, "What have you done?" (They knew he was running away from the LORD , because he had already told them so.)
11 The sea was getting rougher and rougher. So they asked him, "What should we do to you to make the sea calm down for us?"
12 "Pick me up and throw me into the sea," he replied, "and it will become calm. I know that it is my fault that this great storm has come upon you."
13 Instead, the men did their best to row back to land. But they could not, for the sea grew even wilder than before. 14 Then they cried to the LORD , "O LORD , please do not let us die for taking this man's life. Do not hold us accountable for killing an innocent man, for you, O LORD , have done as you pleased." 15 Then they took Jonah and threw him overboard, and the raging sea grew calm. 16 At this the men greatly feared the LORD , and they offered a sacrifice to the LORD and made vows to him.
17 But the LORD provided a great fish to swallow Jonah, and Jonah was inside the fish three days and three nights.

Theres you go. The story of Jonah in the Old Teatament
 munik
03-01-2003, 11:03 PM
Yeah, no sh*t. Thanks for pointing that out.

Read the passage I listed, then read the post before mine which I was refering to, then re-read the post I made the first time, then, very slowly, go back and repeat the process.

Now, the part where he says its a fact that it doesn't say whale in the bible, when in fact it does say whale in the bible...yeah, you know the post I'm talking about, you're probaly re-reading it right now...well, THAT IS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT.

Fer christs sake, he said the Bible, not the Book of Jonah.

Don't get all uppity and make put you back in your place again. It embarasses both of us. Now maybe you should take your own advice:So umm... please read before you post.
Page: 3 of 5