Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Poll: Where was my suggestion as an option???

Page: 1 of 1
 Katarn07
01-05-2003, 12:33 PM
I had suggested adding new enemies (workers, AT-STs, Weequays, Rodians, etc) in a 4th difficulty mode. I voted for "Maybe, but not too many" just because of this 4th mode. I think that would be the best solution, instead of making health a lot lower.
Know how hard it'd be to even beat later level with 50 health as your max and no shields??? That's I remember someone saying would probably happen.
Consider this please, and post your thoughts.
 Perfect Chaos
01-05-2003, 5:25 PM
If you want my opinion, the game will be difficult in Hard as it is. I don't know about you guys, but I can't hit anything in JO :P I think a possible solution could be that when you finish Hard mode, that you get a special bonus mode (which is what you speak of) for those who need an extra hard challenge. I don't know how you would implement this feature though, or if it is even possible. Imagine bossks and kell dragons and DTP2's in JO's engine... *shudders*
 Katarn07
01-05-2003, 5:49 PM
There are 4 levels of difficulty in JO though. It would not be necessary to unlock. And maybe you can replace enemies, not add more.
 Perfect Chaos
01-05-2003, 6:03 PM
Originally posted by Katarn07
There are 4 levels of difficulty in JO though. It would not be necessary to unlock. And maybe you can replace enemies, not add more.

True, but DF didn't have 4 difficulties...
 MilesTeg
01-05-2003, 6:15 PM
There is a problem with the fourth difficulty: itґs not a real difficulty level. This means itґs like 3+x.

You canґt add more enemies in the fourth level. It just has this lower health/shield thing (and Iґm most certain - correct me if Iґm wrong - it doesnґt enhance enemy AI )

As I said before we will take more use of the three difficulty levels then raven and LEC did. This will result in different amounts of enemies and items.

The current key I used in Secbase was:
easy: very easy all items, realistic amount of enemies.
normal: less items than easy.
hard: less items than easy level filled with enemies.

What we CAN do is making some eastereggs, new enemys hard-exclusives or even secret levels - but thatґs just an idea, no confirmation about that...

Itґs also a matter of time. The method used in secbase was extremely time efficient and makes it easier for mappers to handle the enemy entities etc.

So Iґm sorry to say, but there wonґt be most likely no 4th difficulty level... but maybe an AT-ST will show up in the 3rd ;)
 The_One
01-05-2003, 6:17 PM
By "adding more enemies" I mean adding more variety of enemies - which is exemplified in the example I give after the question (that sounded stupid).

Anyway, the polls are really just to give us a rough idea of the general direction we want to go in. Really, we just want to know if we should add a wider variety of enemies to the levels and whether the fans are OK with that :)
 Katarn07
01-05-2003, 6:44 PM
I needed that explanation from MilesTeg to convince me. I'd limit the use of them to the 3rd difficulty then.
 Geoffrey S
01-06-2003, 10:11 AM
Well, I certainly think alot of the Grans and Trandoshans in Nar Shada and Jabba's Ship should be replaced by newer ones; people complained about the lack of variety in JO, and I doubt this MOD will be spared from that. The enemies don't even have to be completely different. Same AI, different model. Anything to make the thing look as damn good as possible.
 Katarn07
01-06-2003, 4:39 PM
Arm Trandoshans and Weequays the same way. Concussion Rifles
Arm Grans and Rodians the same way. Fists and TDs

Unless in the next poll you can ask: Do you wanna arm enemy mercs and bounty hunters with different weapons? ie mortar, repeater

My answer to that would be: NO! Unless you do it only in hard. After I beat it the classic way, I could go through ploughing down new guys, and maybe even some workers in Imp base levels.
 xcountryman03
01-07-2003, 3:48 AM
my suggestion if you want to do that would be to have the trans and rodians with cuncussion rifles and weequays and grans w/ fists and therms. Rodians seem to frail to fist fight.
 ImmolatedYoda
01-07-2003, 4:07 PM
if you do implement more aliens, i would say:
rodians=E-11
weequays=hmm...possibly concussion rifle, if not, then E-11s
 Katarn07
01-07-2003, 4:43 PM
We're talking about cutting down the number of Grans and Trandoshans seen in some of the gang infested levels.

Such as:
Ramsees Hed, Nar Shaddaa, Jabba's Ship, and Fuel Station Ergo

Then, you'd want the same physics.

ie, You enter a room in DF filled with three Grans, and two Trandoshans. What we're suggesting (for a 3rd difficulty level) is replace two of the Grans with Weequays and a Trandoshan with a Rodian. They'd need the same gun for physics sake.

And I like the Gran/ Weequay, Trandoshan/ Rodian thing better.
 ImmolatedYoda
01-07-2003, 9:17 PM
what do you mean "you'd want the same physics"? i dont see how physics relates to guys having the same gun or not...
 Emon
01-07-2003, 11:16 PM
It has nothing to do with it.
 Katarn07
01-08-2003, 4:36 PM
Not physics, but the... I don't know how to describe it!
Why replace conc weilding enemies with guys with E-11s???
 ImmolatedYoda
01-09-2003, 12:04 AM
because rodians+concussion rifle=no in my mind. yes, have the doshans keep the concussion rifle, of course. gran, fists and thermals (maybe have some with E-11 for a little variety). this is how it was in JK, and i liked it that way. sheesh, i dont really even care, a variety in skins for me (like JKs shirted and shirtless grans) would be more than enough.
 Katarn07
01-09-2003, 5:00 PM
I thought they were shirtless too! But really, their outfits are the same skin color...

We just are changin' skins, not weapons. Go argue that in another thread (Weapon Armanants) or something. Too lazy to link it...
 ImmolatedYoda
01-09-2003, 5:05 PM
well, actually, you are talking about changing models, not skins...and what would you do if you have the rodian with the conc and weequay with gran weapons? i dont know about in JO, but rodians are quite weak...and weequay using TDs and fists...just doesnt seem right.
 Katarn07
01-09-2003, 5:14 PM
Wanna make a poll or just debate this?

Let's see. We'll leave Trandoshans with concs and Grans with fists and TDs. Rodians can replace some of the TD tossing Grans, but not the fist ones. Weequays can replace a few Trandoshans with concs when they flood the level.
ie
Nar Shaddaa (not too many Trandos here, their first appearance, don't add to many Weequays), Jabba's Ship (still not a lot, not to many replacements), Ergo Fuel Station (replace half of Trandoshans with Weequay)

Just suggestions.
 Emon
01-09-2003, 6:26 PM
Originally posted by Katarn07
We just are changin' skins, not weapons.

Oh? I wasn't aware that you were suddenly the project lead and had authority on that matter.

I'm sure the team values the opinions of the community, but don't think you can just waltz onto these forums and take control of the mod because you're a DF fanatic.
 Katarn07
01-09-2003, 6:32 PM
I'm talking about this thread, not the actual project. I am for changing the weapons too, but only on this proposed 3rd difficulty level...
 Darth_Linux
01-10-2003, 3:31 AM
I think he meant to say "we're just *talkin* about changing skins, not weapons" . . .

everyone's opinions are valued of course. Right now these aspects are so far off in the future for the project I really am not concerned too much about them right now. when I know more about what we can do with the code then I'll worry about it . . .
 Katarn07
01-10-2003, 5:09 PM
Exactly. Thank you for clarifying.
 Geoffrey S
01-12-2003, 4:39 AM
Why would you only want new enemies on the 3rd difficulty setting? The reason we'd want to see 'new' enemies is for the whole thing to seem less monotonous. Remember the constant stormtroopers in JO? Do you want to see that in this mod? Remember, the mod doesn't have to be a perfect recreation of DF. That game had it's faults too, and this was one of them. If you can improve the game, be sure to do it.
Replacing certain enemies seems fine to me, but they don't have to have exactly the same placements in the levels. And I certainly don't like the idea of new enemies only on the 3rd difficulty level. If it adds something to that, why not do it on all the settings?
 The_One
01-12-2003, 6:59 AM
Originally posted by Geoffrey S
Why would you only want new enemies on the 3rd difficulty setting? The reason we'd want to see 'new' enemies is for the whole thing to seem less monotonous. Remember the constant stormtroopers in JO? Do you want to see that in this mod? Remember, the mod doesn't have to be a perfect recreation of DF. That game had it's faults too, and this was one of them. If you can improve the game, be sure to do it.
Replacing certain enemies seems fine to me, but they don't have to have exactly the same placements in the levels. And I certainly don't like the idea of new enemies only on the 3rd difficulty level. If it adds something to that, why not do it on all the settings?

Exactly - I think I should really have phrased the poll question better "Do you think we should add more variety of skins into the MOD?"
 Katarn07
01-12-2003, 10:07 AM
Can we have a mode where it is only with DF enemies?

And you can't improve the quality of it by adding new merc skins/ models to outway the stormies. Over half the levels are Imp bases and ships!
 Geoffrey S
01-13-2003, 12:19 PM
I've always thought a section of a Mod with exclusive content was a bad idea, but that's not up to me to decide.
And there's plenty of room for variation in the DF TC: more commandos, stormtroopers with shoulder patches or dirt marks, a greater variety of officers (brown, grey, black), scientists, workers, elite troops (slightly different armor?), pilots. That's a whole lot more than was included properly in JO. And the civilian levels would benefit from Weequays, Rodians, Duros, human mercenaries, battledroids, and any other variations you can think of. There's plenty of new skins/models in the JO community, and I'm sure you'd be allowed to use a few. Not to mention civilians.
Page: 1 of 1