Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Assault cannon and other weapons(possible spoilers)

Page: 1 of 1
 MR. Obvious
01-04-2003, 10:39 AM
For anyone who has never played DF, this could be a spoiler. Will you make the assault cannon just like it was? Also, I was wondering if you were going to make the guns look like the original df guns. I like the DF repeater pic better than in JK and JO. One more thing...would it be possible to completely disable force powers and lightsabers, even if someone tried to cheat ot get thwm? It woldn't be right, considering Kyle hasn't been introduced to the force yet.
 ImmolatedYoda
01-04-2003, 6:36 PM
however..it would be roxxor to play through DF with force powers to own up on the DTs and stuff. but it would really change it (because jumping puzzles would be easier with force jump and such).
 Darth_Linux
01-05-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by MR. Obvious
For anyone who has never played DF, this could be a spoiler. Will you make the assault cannon just like it was? Also, I was wondering if you were going to make the guns look like the original df guns. I like the DF repeater pic better than in JK and JO. One more thing...would it be possible to completely disable force powers and lightsabers, even if someone tried to cheat ot get thwm? It woldn't be right, considering Kyle hasn't been introduced to the force yet.

yes the weapons will be as close as possible. we are still considering disabling Force Powers in some way but it's not certain yet.
 michael_collins
01-05-2003, 2:22 PM
sounds like a good candidate for ur faq darth
 Emon
01-05-2003, 2:46 PM
If you set the Force mana in weapons.dat to 0, it might stop the use of Force powers. You could try deleting the entry for the lightsaber in weapons.dat. It would probably cause the game to crash :p

Or you could remove the code for it all together, but really, that's a waste of time. If people want to cheat, let them cheat. If you don't let them cheat, they might get pissed, throw it away and not play it at all.
 xcountryman03
01-05-2003, 4:20 PM
i concur with emon here
 MilesTeg
01-05-2003, 5:59 PM
I agree with Emon on this point.

Although we will alter the force powers for enemy weapons, the player should still be able to get them. (this might be fun with the altered code...)

Anyway if someone wants to play DF because of the story he wonґt use the cheats off.

We will see if we can leave the option of full force powers with cheats in the game/code. The primary goal is to make a Dark Forces with better graphics, higher resolution etc. And if itґs necessary to disable force powers to get the game working we will do it.
 Katarn07
01-06-2003, 6:53 PM
What will altered Force powers be like? The DT blast effects or what???
 xcountryman03
01-07-2003, 3:36 AM
why bother worrying about the totally shutting the force and light saber off. I don't understand, it just seems like itd be another hassel
 Katarn07
01-07-2003, 4:38 PM
Let 'em cheat! I plan on going through a 3rd time as a Jedi... jeez!
I always beat easy with no cheats, hard w/ invul, and the third time with all weapons etc for FPSs... And the 3rd time for JO would be, as a Jedi!
 The_One
01-07-2003, 6:25 PM
Why take out the force? It will only be available as a cheat - obviously not in the actual game.

All weapons, god mode etc.. are also available as cheats. No-one makes you use them - why remove them? A waste of time to accomplish nothing - and actually remove an option that many people would have a lot of fun using.
 Katarn07
01-07-2003, 6:34 PM
What he said.

Question: When getting all weapons, will I be getting DF's and JO's??? I am guessing no. Can we bind 2 weapons to one key like in MotS? That way we'd have an arsenal of...uhh... math is not my strongpoint. At least without a calculator. :D
 The Count
01-08-2003, 6:48 AM
Maybe not the JO weapons (they pretty much sucked) just keep the sabre, remember they were going to have Luke Skywalker in Dark Forces originally with a saber but didn't in the end because of limitations, here's you're chance to show Dark Forces with a Lightsaber.
 Katarn07
01-08-2003, 4:40 PM
DF was going to be with Luke during ANH! They changed it to a new story, the DF one, then decided to get a non-Jedi so they didn't need the saber. They wanted to possibly get a new Jedi game later, so they added the line....

Check out my signiture. That is where Jedi Knight: DFII came from.
 Darth_Linux
01-09-2003, 12:20 PM
I don't think there will be a way to keep the original JO weapons around. We are pretty much replacing them outright with new behaviors and code. We are currently trying to see if there is enough room in the player state to add in a couple of new types of ammo (mortar shells and plasma cells) for some of the weapons because JO only has 4 types of ammo and DF has 5 or 6 depending upon how you count it.

I definatley don't think there is room for both JO and DF weapons.

btw player state is a little variable that saves how much health and ammo's the player has when he switches from one map to the next. Usually this variable is as little memory as possible and we need to see if there is a few free bits to stuff in info about new types of ammo that don't even exist yet. . . .
 Katarn07
01-09-2003, 5:02 PM
I didn't really care. DF's were better.
 JEDI OUTCAST
01-19-2003, 9:52 AM
Originally posted by The_One
Why take out the force? It will only be available as a cheat - obviously not in the actual game.

All weapons, god mode etc.. are also available as cheats. No-one makes you use them - why remove them? A waste of time to accomplish nothing - and actually remove an option that many people would have a lot of fun using.

what this guy said. keep all of them in people who want force powers they can use them. but for them who dont they can play as they want.:D
 recombinant
01-21-2003, 5:14 PM
Originally posted by Emon
You could try deleting the entry for the lightsaber in weapons.dat. It would probably cause the game to crash :p

Or you could remove the code for it all together, but really, that's a waste of time. If people want to cheat, let them cheat. If you don't let them cheat, they might get pissed, throw it away and not play it at all.

I'm currently working on the code to disable the lightsaber, but since people seem to like the idea of having it when cheats are enabled (via "devmap" or whatever), I'm adding some checks to allow that scenario.

:D
Page: 1 of 1