Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

WIP: Episode II Obi-Wan

Page: 1 of 2
 Toonces
12-30-2002, 11:52 PM
I was going to try and get this all done before Christmas, but I had to go out of town so I had no time.

I'm not happy with the geometry on the head, crits are most apprishated. I'll post good head shots later
http://drivingcatstudios.com/images/obiwankenobi.jpg)
 Mex
12-31-2002, 1:59 AM
Nice work toonces there are a few things which need to be sorted out

1- His eyes, they look un-human like
2- His hair, it doesent really look like it does in the movies
3- He needs to look a little more calmer [I dont know how you spell it, lol]
4- We need a picture of the back!
 Daskers
12-31-2002, 2:25 AM
Also, if you examine some pictures, you will probably notice that he's robes are a lot cleaner in Episode II. Looks like the guy got the jedi ironing board out.
 Darth Vader III
12-31-2002, 2:39 AM
His face looks too big or fat... Or there is too little of hair or something like that. Bigger beard...

That's what I think...
 Eldritch
12-31-2002, 6:46 AM
Crits :

The colors aren't quite right - they should be more tan.
The texture of the fabric isn't right, either. Not sure how to describe it, but the weave of the fabric should be larger and more visible.
This has been noted in the other Jedi models, but the belt still isn't wide enough. Extend it towards the head and feet by at least another 25%.
The face is too smooth... there are no wrinkles or anything, which makes it look more like a statue than a person. The neck and hands also lack detail.
The hair, most noticeably on the eyebrows, are too visible. From that distance, you shouldn't be able to see individual hairs. The beard suffers from the same problem.
The beard droops down rather than "puffing" out, as it should.
It was mentioned above, but the eyes also look unnatural.

Other than that, it's not a bad start. Remember - the Jedi robes are unique as well... you can't just switch the heads and change the colors. I know you'll do them justice, Toonces. Nice work.

:mm1
 Mest
12-31-2002, 4:00 PM
great work so far toonces i am so happy you are doing ep II obi wan. thank you so much!
 Jo
12-31-2002, 7:58 PM
hey...i think it looks great. keep up the great work and deliver another astonishing model toonces..
 inbredyokel
01-01-2003, 3:58 PM
This looks like an excellent start (although I think it's too early for a skin...a shot of just the geometry would be more helpful in pinpointing what's wrong/right). A few of the primary problems I can see right now...
-The shape of the head is very off. The hair should be slicked back, with it coming forward more in the center of the forehead and pushed back at the temples, to give him a more natural almost-receding hairline. It is also much fuller and puffier all-around. Also, the face should be much more narrow at the eyes, widest at the cheeks, and the brow needs to stand out over the eyes more. Also, the jaw is far too flat. The jawline should form a point, with the chin rounding it off. The head also looks too small in proportion to the body. Samuel L. Jackson is a MUCH bigger guy compared to Ewan McGregor, and his physique should be toned down accordingly. Overall, as far as the frontal view of the head shape is concerned, think of it as a heart shape from the eyes down to the chin (but with the point cut off, of course), with a flattened circle making up the forehead.

-The face: First, it looks a bit too thin. Ewan McGregor has rather puffy checks, and a majority of the "weight" in his face is located on top of his jaw and cheekbones- right now his features look too chiseled. His nose also needs to stand out more. It's one of the most prominent features of his face, and right now it looks a bit too modest. His lips are also thinner (but still round) and wider. Also, the beard, especially around the mouth, should be much puffier. The moustache should hang over the upper lip, almost obscuring it, and the rest of the goatee area should make a fuller square shape around his mouth. Don't be afraid to over-pronounce some of the facial features, they do compose the face, afterall. They'll also be more difficult to see in-game, and right now they're even a little underexaggerated.

That's all I can think of for now. If it seems like I'm giving this model an awful lot of attention, it's just because I'm now a bit more protective of stuff that is going to be in the Episode II tc since becoming a member :)
Awsome work overall though. Think of excessive criticism from me as a complement ;)
 nomad
01-03-2003, 11:49 AM
Hey Toonces! This is great news!! :)

As for geometry crits, here goes...

His face definitely needs to be more puffy. I think Ewan has a bit of a baby face. Rounder cheeks that fall off into a small chin. I think what it is, is that they don't angle so much towards his nose.

His beard should puff out more, which of course might make the adjustments to his cheeks and face much less necasary.

His brow should be round. Actually it's hard to tell what's going on there with the skin on. His eyebrows should definitely be more soft and subtle.
And of course he's got that big round forehead (with a couple of little growths on it) though I think you've nearly got that shape right.

His mouth may need to be a bit wider... not positive... I'm just speeking from memory right now.
Oh his eyes should be nicer and more calm, for sure.

I'd have to line it up with a reference pic to be sure, but I think maybe you could shorten the length between his nose and his eyes. What I mean is, shorten the z length of his nose as well as the distance from his eyes to his mouth.

One idea. (shader suggestion I guess) It would be cool if you could add a couple of strands of hair falling down onto his forhead.

I'll leave it at that (without even proof-reading :p ) I'll definitely study some pics for you and contact you later.

BTW did you get my email I sent you around the holidays?

-nomad

MTFBWY
 [JKZ]_Yun
01-04-2003, 1:52 AM
:eek: NIIIICE Model Toonces

this model ROOOCKSSS :rock: Man keep the goodgood goood working :D
 Matt-Liell
01-04-2003, 4:02 AM
Continuing the great legend of Mace and Obi models i see Toonces? Nice work but the face layout bugs me, i can't describe it! look here for a good pic! and in his tunic there is a lighter piece of cloth showing at the neck! But the tunic looks great otherwise!:D :thumbsup:
http://www.tnmc.org/gnews/pics/ep2/insider09.jpg)
 mariners2001
01-04-2003, 8:58 AM
Looks great Toonces! Great to see a shot of it. Is that KMan's skin?

Here are my suggestions:
* Make hair just a bit lighter in color
* Make eyebrows stand out much more and larger. This is one major difference I see in the pic of Ewan and the skin.
* Maybe make the eyes a bit bigger.

Great job so far!
 Mest
01-04-2003, 7:15 PM
when coloring his hair remember that his beard/mustache is a lighter color than the hair on his head.
 Arco
01-05-2003, 2:56 PM
hey hey hey! It is my skin. We are still not finished on him yet. It will be done eventually.

Arco:deathii:
 Toonces
01-05-2003, 3:01 PM
Yup, he's still got some work left to do, especially the geometry around his chin/jaw. He'll have the Mace torso since that one seems to be the most accurate
 mariners2001
01-05-2003, 3:17 PM
haha. sorry about that arco. looks very nice so far. i thought KMan was skinning it and that's why we haven't heard much. Is he still planning a skin?
 Toonces
01-05-2003, 3:20 PM
Nah, KMan is insanely busy so we're going to finish it up.
 Lord Tnuc
01-07-2003, 3:58 AM
Great job Toonces and Arco. I can't wait to see this model out, as well.

Off topic: Toonces, since you are a filemaster at JkII.net (I think), there is a file that has been sent a few days ago and still has not been posted. I was just hoping you could see if there was something wrong with it being recieved or anything. It is NeoMarz's Zam Wessel rifle. This is a weapon I, myself have been waiting quite awhile for someone to model it.

Nyaha, good luck with the EpII Obi-Wan. Love it already. Hope to get some good sounds, as well.
"You will learn your place."
"What in the blazes(is he doing there?!"(talking about anakin, on geonosis)
"Blast!"
"You want to go home and rethink your life." (perfect taunt methinks)
"I don't think so." (after dooku tells him to back down and obi absorbs the lightning into his lightsaber)
"You seem a little on edge."
"You're sweating. Relax, take a deep breath."
"You're focusing on the negative."

Sorry, got carried away. Those would all be good sounds, in my oppinion.
 AnaKin_SkYwalKr
01-07-2003, 12:05 PM
Great Job so far, I've been trying to find a good Ep. 2 Obi-Wan that actually a) looked like Obi-Wan and b) looked human. I definitely think that his eyes should look a little less harsh, and also like previously mentioned, his skin should have more texture to it. The beard should definitely be larger too.
 boinga1
01-19-2003, 9:40 AM
No Toonces model should fall this far down, especially not of Obi-wan because Obi-wan is the MAN!! Toonces, what's going on with this model?!!? :aobi:
 morphius_doh
01-19-2003, 2:56 PM
This may be repeatative but here's a list of things that need to be tweaked :

Forehead is too long vertically.

Overall skin tone is too dark a shade of pink.

Jaw needs to be more rounded and not as long.

Both lips need to be thinner.

Nose needs to be more wide.

Back of the hair needs to be thicker and spread outward, beneath the ear area.

Observations were made from compairing the screenshot with the ref pic provided by Matt-Liell
 boinga1
01-30-2003, 4:54 PM
Toonces, what's going on with this model?
 mace_sundancer
01-30-2003, 5:03 PM
toonces has said elsewhere that he has been insanely busy of late so i suggest young padawan, that you learn some patience...
 Mest
01-30-2003, 5:57 PM
dont flame the guy. i think its perfectly fine for someone to ask how a model is comming along. get off his back he needs to learn no patience. you need to learn some tolerance. jk.
 boinga1
01-30-2003, 8:31 PM
Originally posted by mace_sundancer
toonces has said elsewhere that he has been insanely busy of late so i suggest young padawan, that you learn some patience...

young padawan? please, i may not be the most patient thing around, but i recommend not calling people with 300 more posts than you "young."
 inbredyokel
01-31-2003, 12:10 AM
I think it was supposed to be friendly teasing, but hey, that's just my optimistic side talking. And you never know, he could be 30 years older than you :D

Nonetheless, I hope things eventually quiet down for Toonces. Things have certainly been a little less interesting without him around much...
 mace_sundancer
01-31-2003, 2:35 AM
it was a friendly tease...

and btw i'm 24, so unless you're older than me i can call you young if i want.
 skywalker19
01-31-2003, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by mace_sundancer
it was a friendly tease...

and btw i'm 24, so unless you're older than me i can call you young if i want.

too bad you dont act 24...time to get back on topic eh :)

i was comparing the pic you posted Toonces to the picture posted by Matt Liell, and the things on his belt are on the wrong side ;)

if this has been mentioned already i apologize
 Mex
01-31-2003, 2:36 PM
I'm not nagging or moaning but let's be patient, Toonces and other modellers/skinners do this for fun, not because they have to, and they can take as long as they like.

And what do we know? They could be working on it this very minute! :)
 Sinister12
02-03-2003, 9:52 PM
Is this model still going?

Ok, Toonces, one little thing that could make a big impact as to how good the model looks:)

The hairline.

Take a close look at Ewan McGregor's/Obi Ep2 hairline at the forehead, see how it comes down in the middle area? and also, it has more of a combed back look, rather than being just *there* as it is currently.

Also, yeah, the model's face is a little too wide.

That'll be my input for this post.
 Mest
02-03-2003, 10:06 PM
why did you triple post?
 Sinister12
02-04-2003, 12:57 AM
My replies were seemingly not going through, it's almost as if either my connection or the forums server was sluggish, I hadn't realized I tripple posted since it was so bad it never took me back to the thread.
 Mest
02-05-2003, 12:59 AM
looks like the mods took care of it so no harm done.
 Toonces
02-05-2003, 1:41 AM
Unfortunatly I've had ZERO time to work on anything within the last couple of weeks, but fear not, I've resumed my work on Obi, Plo, and Matt's model :D

Pics coming, I gotta get in touch with Arco about the skin. I'm going to post some new pics very soon
 [SM]Maximus
02-05-2003, 6:16 AM
Sweet cant wait to see how its comming along from the pic up top it looks really good :)

Maximus
 Sinister12
02-05-2003, 7:25 AM
@Mest: I deleted the two other posts myself.

@Toonces: That's great to hear dude. I for one(along with many others) are looking forward heaps towards two of the models you are working on - Plo and Obi Ep2. Can't wait to see in-game screenes of them.

But as so far as critique on this model goes, I still stand by the forehead hairline and width of face.

Another minor detail is the color of the eyes, they are lighter.
 boinga1
02-05-2003, 8:08 PM
good news toonces, you da MAN!
 Mest
02-07-2003, 12:27 AM
@Sinister: you can delete your own posts? how?
 Sinister12
02-07-2003, 2:11 AM
Click Edit button, check the checkbox "delete" then click the "delete now" button
 Altus_Thrawn
02-07-2003, 6:21 AM
Very nice! The eyes look haunted, and something about his hair makes him look like a girl with short hair.
But this is awsome!
 Khier
02-08-2003, 8:38 PM
Holy moly, how many models is Toonces working on? i've lost track! Anyways its looking pretty good, I won't waste any space repeating the what the other guys said :)
 AKPiggott
02-13-2003, 2:59 PM
Hey Toonces! I like it a lot, maybe I can find a space for it in Party Crasher. Also, how are you doing on that model we talked about?
 _NinjaGaiden_
02-14-2003, 1:44 AM
Toonces you never cease to amaze me with your modeling skill...... do you work for a game company? if so can you get me a job? :)
 HHMaverick
02-23-2003, 6:22 PM
Whats now?

Is this Skin going to finish?
 boinga1
02-27-2003, 11:05 PM
please don't die obi, please!
 HHMaverick
02-28-2003, 12:24 PM
I want to know whether the model goes on ?
A few new Pics would also do. :)
 SkiTzoGuy
03-08-2003, 2:22 PM
I don't think this model will die..:D
Maybe toonces is busy or sumtin.. N E ways Keep up the good work toonces..:D
If anyone is willing to donate credits to me i would certainly like that thank you :rolleyes:

:koon: I shall wait patiently for his day to come..
 Eldritch
03-09-2003, 1:51 AM
Skitzo... just a word of friendly advice - stop asking for donations in your posts. The admins/mods don't like it, and it falls under one of the forum rules.

If you want to tell everyone that'd you'd appreciate donations, put it in your sig. That also saves you the trouble of having to write it each time.
 KMan
03-09-2003, 1:53 AM
Originally posted by _NinjaGaiden_
Toonces you never cease to amaze me with your modeling skill...... do you work for a game company? if so can you get me a job? :)

Hmm... and how long have you been following this thread, 4 days?

Heh, anyways. I'm sure this will be finished by Episode III. I'm quite sure of that.
 NeoMarz1
03-09-2003, 4:25 AM
Originally posted by KMan
Hmm... and how long have you been following this thread, 4 days?

Heh, anyways. I'm sure this will be finished by Episode III. I'm quite sure of that.

:angel: I wouldnt blame him if he finished it by Episode 4, Oh that would be 1976. Hey KMan I found your loop hole didnt I? Mars out!
Page: 1 of 2