Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

WIP: MGS Ninja Grey Fox

Page: 1 of 3
 ksk h2o
12-11-2002, 2:05 PM
http://www.talocan.net/ksk_h2o/GFimage/1.jpg)

The first post of this page is edited/updated regularly to keep info and images up to date.

MESH:
The body mesh is a modified shadowtroopers body. Since the general layout of the body fit the Ninja character, Gray Fox pretty well, I imported Raven's mesh and changed/modified it to suit my needs. No need to do the job twice.

The head mesh is in multiple parts. The faceplates can be removed for an "open helmet" version.

SKIN:
[SM]Maximus and FoJ_JM_Miyamoto have offered help in skinning this puppy. Maximus has done a GREAT job with the skin. I also recently received three skins done by FoJ_JM_Miyamoto which was introduced to the project through NinjaGaiden.

I'm also including some skins which started off with the model, and which were in turn modified to become the Team Skins.

There are quite a few shaders. The mechanic eye has a glow and blink to it, the entire body has the chrome effect applied to it for a metalic shine, and the face inside the faceplates has two shaders of its own.

SOUNDS:
The model has custom sounds: Three different taunt sounds, and custom sounds for all pain levels, all mp deaths, and all other mp sounds... with of course the unforgettable line "HURT ME MORE!" set as the taunt for the default model.

Recently managed to take a look at the Cheshire vader Cap TGA's and their shader. Arco, Sithlord and Chesshire's amazing model's caps seemed a perfect fit for Gray Fox since he is also part human part machine like vader. Many thanks for allowing me to use the texture and shader code for the caps.

Many many thanks to [SM]Maximus for taking the time and effort to create the great skin the model has on right now. His name will definitely be in the creators list for the model.

Also to FoJ_JM_Miyamoto for contributing THREE skins! :D

SCREENSHOTS are Recent, and updated regularly:
[LAST UPDATE: 2/10/03]
Model Ingame - Default Skin (http://www.talocan.net/ksk_h2o/GFimage/0.jpg)
Model Ingame - Default Skin (http://www.talocan.net/ksk_h2o/GFimage/2.jpg)
Model Ingame - Default Skin (http://www.talocan.net/ksk_h2o/GFimage/3.jpg)
Model Ingame - Default Skin (http://www.talocan.net/ksk_h2o/GFimage/4.jpg)
Model Ingame - Default Skin (http://www.talocan.net/ksk_h2o/GFimage/5.jpg)

Model Ingame - Blue Team Skin (http://www.talocan.net/ksk_h2o/GFimage/blue.jpg)
Model Ingame - Red Team Skin (http://www.talocan.net/ksk_h2o/GFimage/red.jpg)

Model Ingame - Alternate Skin1 (http://www.talocan.net/ksk_h2o/GFimage/n1.jpg)
Model Ingame - Alternate Skin2 (http://www.talocan.net/ksk_h2o/GFimage/n2.jpg)
Model Ingame - Alternate Skin3 (http://www.talocan.net/ksk_h2o/GFimage/n3.jpg)

closeup of the default skin's face (http://www.talocan.net/ksk_h2o/GFimage/face.jpg)

Face Shader Info:
The face's eyes spark red randomly and the entire face has a circuit board pattern that faintly glows to a white noise pattern (details in the FACE DETAIL screenie).

There is a working bot that fights pretty well and will stick to the saber. He also likes to use mind trick a lot as a weak substitute for the Ninja's camouflage.

WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE:
Nothing, it's all done in my book.... I need to get this out to beta testers and write out the readme crediting everyone that helped with the model... and we can have a release.
 Hellfire Jedi
12-11-2002, 2:58 PM
Holy s*** thats DAMN good. You think i oculd beta test that it would be SUCH an honor!!!!!! Looks so damn realistic in-game looks like a real person. Nice saberist mod too ;). If you do decide to send me it i will be much abliged blazoor@aol.com thanks!!!

Hellfire

EDIT Once you got skin you can send it over ask Inbred hes a damn good skinner too. Also if you weighted the face plates you could use a .surf file to make the face plates sticking outward or gone.
 Mex
12-11-2002, 3:12 PM
Wow, that is very realistic!
And I have an idea, when you release it, put a Ninja Sword in it or something, it would be very funny to see a Ninja slicing a$s!
 Matt-Liell
12-11-2002, 3:44 PM
Thats a great model! very realistic! keep up the good work! you said u imported raven' s mesh which character of the game?
 ksk h2o
12-11-2002, 4:24 PM
wow thanks for the feedback. :)

Hellfire, I'll send you the model tomorrow since I will be implementing a few things beforehand (see the other thread for the details ;) ) It would be good to get some feedback from people playing with it.

I have not weighed the hand bones yet (more precisely took off the finger weights after a few assemblies), only because of an annoying thing I get in 3ds max. I will put the finger weights back on as soon as the rest of tweaking is done.

Matt-Liel, it was Raven's Shadowtrooper model, had to go through milkshape's glm importer in order to get it into 3ds max for the tweaking ;)

Also for anyone who wishes to try out the model, you should know I havent tied together the LOD's yet. Only the highet LOD is in the current model, the lower LOD's still need to be wieghed. I want to finish debugging before I undertake the other LOD's though.
 Hellfire Jedi
12-11-2002, 4:34 PM
Well i sure do hope that .surf works because the open mask would be cool!!!

Hellfire
 Wes Marrakesh
12-11-2002, 8:31 PM
Oh man. New fav model alert! :D

Awesome job, man :thumbsup:. You know, for the face... oh wait. A skin might not work...

Would it be Olga? lol
 ksk h2o
12-13-2002, 6:26 AM
I got a few updates to the model today. Got the shaders and other stuff working right.

On populer demand, I'll be moving onto making a face inside the mask and making the faceplate removable with a .surf :D
 Enjoi9187
12-13-2002, 6:47 AM
so this is gonna be the REAL grey fox right? not olga? just dont forget to make him black ;)
 Hellfire Jedi
12-13-2002, 6:53 AM
Its the fox it really is him. Olga wass uhhh yuck:rolleyes:

Hellfire
 Hellfire Jedi
12-13-2002, 6:56 AM
ksk maybe enjoi could skin it ? hes good
 ksk h2o
12-13-2002, 7:35 AM
Originally posted by Enjoi9187
so this is gonna be the REAL grey fox right? not olga? just dont forget to make him black ;)

Do you have any images of Grey Fox? The only ones I could find were of him in the suit, I cant seem to find his face anywhere.

I remember playing MGS for the NES a while back, but the manual did not have any photos of grey fox.

The only thing I could base myself on, was the toy action figure, I guess that isnt very accurate though. :)
 squall_dm
12-14-2002, 10:25 AM
I've taken the old MGS Ninja skin and done a personal stealth camo version of it - You could apply the shader from the ct_sidious/morgankatarn models onto Grey Fox, and get a semi-ghost transparency effect for stealth effect.

Just a thought,
Jer, Master Swordsman Mathiu Silverberg of the Legion of Swordsmen

p.s. need a beta tester? I can also rip sounds from the MGSPC if need be.
 Enjoi9187
12-14-2002, 11:01 AM
well, at the end of MGS for playstation, at the end when he gets crushed by metal gear rex. he takes off his helmet before he dies, and you can see that hes black.
 Hellfire Jedi
12-14-2002, 11:33 AM
Hes got sounds already damn good ones.
Enjoi i wanted to beta mgs and get the stealth thingy for snake from otakon i beat the game about 15 times hes white ;)

Hellfire
 Enjoi9187
12-14-2002, 11:43 AM
grey fox was black, and ninja is grey fox, listen to his voice also, and look at some profiles online. he even has a hint of jive as he talks
 DrakkenVII
12-14-2002, 12:41 PM
grey fox was black, and ninja is grey fox, listen to his voice also, and look at some profiles online. he even has a hint of jive as he talks

Your an Idiot.
No offense but your missing the very obvious flaw in your
"Grey Fox is Black" thing.

When he takes his mask off in Metal Gear Solid;
hes nice and white.

The action figure from Todd McFarlane has a removable mask; Again his face is nice and white.

Now the Real kicker;
HIS SISTER IS WHITE TO.

(Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't that be impossible in a genetically black family? I know there have been records of half black people being completely white but not from completely black parents.)

BTW Talks with "Jive"? I dont know about you but how exactly does a black person talk with "JIVE"? That wouldn't happen to be a STEREOTYPE would it?
 Hellfire Jedi
12-14-2002, 1:09 PM
Ok first
1. Enjoi do not post anything offensive it iwll only start a flame war.
2. Drakken You know better than to flame someone like that. He can think what he thinks is true. If he thinks its a black guy so be it. Do not have a hernia because he thinks something is black. Just Don't. Thanks ;)

Hellfire
 DrakkenVII
12-14-2002, 8:30 PM
Do not have a hernia because he thinks something is black. Just Don't.

Maybe I coulda been a little more tactful with him.
It did seem as though I lost it on him over nothing.

Anyways, as far as the model goes its lookin pretty sexй man.
You might want to make his suit green like it was in the game with the little bits of that reddish brown on it.
 Hellfire Jedi
12-14-2002, 8:35 PM
He needs a skinner.

Hellfire
 squall_dm
12-14-2002, 8:42 PM
Look, yo. Is his name "Black Fox"? NO~! His name is GREY FOX for a reason!
 ksk h2o
12-15-2002, 1:25 PM
That post was quite an outburst Drakken. I dont want to step on anyone's toes but I'd suggest using the edit button to change some of the wording that could be misinterpreted as racism.

I've finished the open mask and put a face inside there. It'll be using the imperial's face skin as there is no way I can make my own face for this guy. I'm thinking of listening to Enjoi and actually making one of the team skins' face black. I though it would be cool to have it like that and since there is just about no reference images for Greyfox besides the toy action figure its fair enough. When you think about it, it doesn't matter anyway. :)

Hellfire I need to send you the new version with the working shaders, the better roll sound and the option to use the open facemask. I'll be sending you that tomorrow.

squall, I though about the stealth thing and tried some of the ghost shaders but at the end they look a little wierd, especially where the skins overlap like on the closed facemask. Mind trick works as a very nice stealth camo :p

Thanks for the offer for the sounds, I actually used epsxe to get the sounds off the PSone version and the VR missions. I think I'm quite set sound wise... it would have been an offer I couldn't refuse had we met a week ago.
 Norrec Vizharan
12-15-2002, 1:46 PM
i could get you a good face shot from metal gear 2: solid snake (for msx) or a face shot from mgs when he is about to be crushed!
 squall_dm
12-15-2002, 2:35 PM
Ah, alright. Hmm, I plan on trying out the shader thing myself...after you turn off the face so that only the outer layer is displayed. As for the sounds, well, I've been messing with another Ninja skin, and I did end up ripping out just about every sound from the Lab battle that doesn't include "Snake" in it. lol. Cool, though
 Shadow D.A.N
12-15-2002, 6:02 PM
did u take the of him screaming u know wen u meet him the first time (i think it was)

but can u add it if u havent just put it as taunt5.mp3 or something
(and why i want it well i want a litel "battelcry" thats all)

btw good work :thumbsup: (so far)
 ksk h2o
12-16-2002, 3:45 AM
Originally posted by Norrec Vizharan
i could get you a good face shot from metal gear 2: solid snake (for msx) or a face shot from mgs when he is about to be crushed!

That would be really nice, I dont see myself playing the game AGAIN for screenies (from MGS1) but it would be nice to take a look at his face near the end of the game.

As for the screaming sound, the problem I have with it is that it has a lot of background sounds that cant really be cleaned up effectively. So i get a very crowded scream sound if I use the one I have. If you have a clean version for the scream I'd definitely take a shot at it and include it as another taunt (there are four allready).

:) I'll be posting screenies of the open facemask shortly.
 Hellfire Jedi
12-20-2002, 6:48 AM
ksk hasnt sent me the faceless or maybe he did and it didnt show up :confused:
So once i do i get screenshots up QUICK!

Hellfire
 ksk h2o
12-20-2002, 12:42 PM
I updated my first post in order to reflec the latest changes and replaced all the screenshots with images of the new mesh/skin

There are now two skins, regular and sith, and two model versions regular and open faceplate. So you have a combination of playing four characters.

In order to get the open faceplate regular model use:
model grayfox/open
In order to get the open faceplate sith model use:
model grayfox/sitho

The regular and sith models have icons so they can be selected through the in game menu.

I'm sending you the new version now hellfire :)
 squall_dm
12-20-2002, 7:07 PM
I uploaded the sounds I ripped from the PC version here:
http://ryo.vgmidi.com/ninja)

They may be higher quality than the PSX version...however, I hope they help you.
 BahamutZERO
12-22-2002, 4:05 PM
Um, one other detail your missing, Grey Fox had a busted right eye......
 ksk h2o
12-25-2002, 5:44 AM
Squall took a look at your sounds. I actually had all but a few of them already applied as taunts. I'll try to see if I can use some of the extra sounds you provided as well, many thanks for them.

It would really help if someone could send a screenie from the game where I could see his face. Bahamut, since I have nothing to go by the face was pure ksk fantassy. If I can get a screenshot of the face and see that his right eye was busted, and how it looked like, I would gladly incorporate it into the skin. Right now I dont even know if the guy supported a fu-man-chu beard. :D

Could you tell me how the busted eye looks like? Does he have a scar across his forehead and cheek that goes through the eye? Is it just a white eye? Any info on his face would be appreciated.

Recently I have weighed the hands, since the mest seems complete and no problems with the weighing have been reported. I'm moving onto making the LOD's and releasing this puppy. :)
 squall_dm
12-25-2002, 10:47 AM
I'll continue playing through the PC version...^^
 Azrael
12-28-2002, 5:44 PM
Ninja is white, like you said, but Naomi isn't his real sister. She's just the adopted sister. At the end of MGS, when you meet up with Grey Fox again, he asks you to apologize to Naomi for lying to her. Grey Fox killed her parents, and then felt guilty about it and spared her life. But he is white. Just a little FYI.

This model is so freakin' cool.

: His "busted eye" is just white. I remember that specifically. Though it'd be cool if you included two versions of that. Your two red eyes, and then a red eye/white eye version.
 Kakarotto
12-28-2002, 6:40 PM
Ok listen up.
I have every Metal Gear, Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, Metal Gear: Snakes Revenge, Metal Gear Solid, and Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty. I also have all the action figures, and the special edition Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake MSX box set straight from Japan. I have extreme knoledge of the Metal Gear universe...

Grey Fox is NOT African American.

He is as caucasian. But in the American version of Metal Gear Solid, his voice actor IS African American, wich is probably why you think that. In the origional Metal Gear's, his face is white. In Metal Gear Solid, his face is white. He is white, BUT his American voice actor is African American. So please don't make him black.

Oh and by the way, excelent job on the model.
 DrakkenVII
12-29-2002, 9:55 AM
Yea.. the whole thing where that person thought he was black.
That was a long while ago. It doesn't really matter.

I'm thinkin we need to focus on another skin though.

One of Ninja in his green/grey suit like he actually wears in MGS.
 squall_dm
01-05-2003, 9:30 PM
Bump.
 ksk h2o
01-06-2003, 4:24 AM
Hmm, I've been away vacationing under UV lights and dicso balls so haven't been modelling much... I am Working on the LODS now since the model is all done and no bugs to it that I can see.

Once the LODS are done, and as soonas I get my hands on a drawing pad, I'm going to take a swing at getting am MGS color schemed skin onto the model.

I thought about the suggestions for the bad right eye and also keeping the to red eyes.

What I think I'll do is, I'll keep the current white/black skins the way they are (tweak them a little of course) and make the MGS NINJA color schemed model with the bad right eye. This way there will be one skin scheme that will try and be as close to GF as possible and the other two will be more of a fantasy skin on the model.

Thanks for the interest guys, and plase keep the suggestions coming. :)
 Shadow D.A.N
01-06-2003, 6:13 AM
A suggestion I have (its more an ide)

use the reborn model and give him a hood

Hmm...
 Azrael
01-06-2003, 6:10 PM
What?!? A hood? Why the hell should he have a hood? He's already got a self-powered, stealth-camoflague-equipped ninja exo-skeleton cyber suit. A hood? Have you even played any of the Metal Gear games?

Oh, and heads up ksk h2o. Konami already canned Darth Kitty's attept to make Metal Gear Solid models. You might want to post what you have on a website before they try and get in touch with you. I don't want this sick-ass model cancelled too. Maybe you could send it to Garik Loran and get him to host it on his site, just in case. (?)
 SupremePain
01-06-2003, 7:54 PM
um ksk h2o, a friend of mine told me you was looking for a skinner for Grey fox so he asked if i wanted to do it for you
ill start on it first thing tomorow... is it good news?:)
ill give it my best shot, making him good i mean.... ill even put up some pics on a site tomorow so you can see my skinning work

peace
 Hellfire Jedi
01-06-2003, 8:44 PM
...i asked him :P
 ksk h2o
01-07-2003, 4:07 AM
Azrael, I think Konami didn't want a Metal Gear Mod, like a total conversion, that would play like an MGS Game. There were many models of Metal Gear Characters Released for other FPS games such as Q2, Q3 (albeit not very good ones) and I don't think Konami would care much about a player character. I think they got worried about a mod affecting the "image" of their games (no matter how ridiculous it sounds), and it's a pity the mod won't see the light of day.

Thanks a lot for the offer SupremePain. I could definitely use all the help I can get. I've also sent Klorel some reference pics, since he offered to help. Let me know if you need reference images or whatnot. And thanks to Hellfire Jedi for getting you involved. :D
 SupremePain
01-07-2003, 9:00 AM
yeah its cool man, i could need some ref pics:)
 SupremePain
01-07-2003, 5:56 PM
um... i just found out that i REALY could use some ref pics, please send an email to big_ass@e-mail.dk giving me some links, pics or something ... :)
 ksk h2o
01-08-2003, 4:13 AM
I've sent out an email with all the reference images I have.

Let me know if you need me to convert the map files into BMP so you have reference maps for the mesh.
 Azrael
01-10-2003, 10:57 AM
Umm...........*BUMP*
 squall_dm
01-13-2003, 1:54 AM
Bump.
 Zavior
01-13-2003, 8:26 AM
bump-ump-ump-ump!
 DrakkenVII
01-14-2003, 12:00 PM
Yo is this model finished, is it even been worked on? any updates whatsoever?
 ksk h2o
01-15-2003, 4:41 AM
The Model and all the LOD's are finished.

Since Supreme Pain offered to help with skinning, I'm waiting for feedback and info from him.

Also Klorel Mentioned he would give skinning him a shot.

As soon as I hear from them, and learn if they have had the time to work on it and/or if they still have the interest and the time, I'll post an update. All we need for him is a decent skin.
:D
Page: 1 of 3