Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

jan

Page: 1 of 2
 JEDI OUTCAST
10-21-2002, 1:50 PM
how are you going to do her/:D
 Alex_P47
10-21-2002, 1:57 PM
*snicker snicker*

wouldnt a modified JO skin be ok?
 Katarn07
10-21-2002, 5:28 PM
She is only about twenty or twenty-one during DF, because Kyle is 22. (I found this out by doing some calculations using data from the NEW Essential Guide to Characters). She isn't wearing that vest she is in DFII and JO, but instead a sweater of the same color as the vest that zips down to the sternum. Without the vest on, her clothes will be tighter and will therefore make her look younger. Also, her pants are brown and not white. She should pretty much look the same other than the above suggestions.
 Infinity Blade
10-21-2002, 6:26 PM
actually... If you think about it, her costume in dark forces is reminiscent to the rebel uniform worn by Madine and others...

I was actually thinking about making a model for her and others.... But there's no guarantee. I'll have more about it later, but my work is going slow on my models and skins lately.
 Darth_Linux
10-22-2002, 2:07 AM
I think a new skin will be all that is necessary . . . this is a huge MOD and we don't need to get side tracked by minutiae ;-)
 Katarn07
10-22-2002, 4:54 PM
Isn't it possible to take that bulky vest off of her? Because their is an NPC spawn of Jedi Jan, she has no vest on. Then reskin the skirt to Rebel Uniform.
 michael_collins
10-23-2002, 7:02 PM
Is Jan Ors Alliance military or intelligence, cos the outfit in the DF pic DOES look like Madines and i think madine is a mix of intel and army, possible therefore to jus base the skin off his ? (shes got longer hair in DF too)
 Katarn07
10-23-2002, 9:13 PM
Jan's in Intelligence. The backstory of Kyle and Jan was that she was an undercover agent in an Imperial held area. She was captured, that's when Kyle abandons the Empire, saves Jan, and then becomes a mercanary. A short time passes and he joins the Rebel cause with the DF missions. They are both in the NRI during JO. Kyle leaves after and becomes a true Jedi Knight.
 michael_collins
10-24-2002, 2:06 PM
@ the time of DF, NRI doesnt exist but if u gave her an NRI esque skin, itd look good, as it would be a predescessor of the uniform she would wear in later years ? yes? no? suggestions please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !
 Infinity Blade
10-24-2002, 2:09 PM
To be honest... a new model should just be made for her, not entirely new though...

Essentially take JO Jan, remove the pocket flaps and turn off all the extra surfs... add a shoulder radio, and maybe do a touch up job here or there....

I tried making a skin on the current model, and it just looks weird with those pockets.

And it really wouldn't be that hard to alter.....

I guess we'll see.
 michael_collins
10-24-2002, 2:12 PM
the mod team isnt trying to scrimp or cut corners and i understand that, but to make a new model will take hours of tweaking and to skin it will take even more, if u wanna make a model and submit it to the team try that but theres no sense in adding to their misery lol
 The_One
10-24-2002, 4:32 PM
Dude, infinity_blade, is a member of the team!
 michael_collins
10-27-2002, 9:04 AM
many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many apologies
 Katarn07
11-07-2002, 8:41 PM
This is what she should look like! Use this as a guide.

http://index.echostation.com/janors.jpg)

(NOTE: I put this in another thread already, but this applies more)
 michael_collins
11-09-2002, 5:44 PM
I think the best ref. point for Jan is from the original DF mission briefing screen. thou its a lil pixely
 Katarn07
11-09-2002, 6:16 PM
That and its not in color...
 Infinity Blade
11-09-2002, 6:51 PM
Well... if it comes to me, I already now how to do it, it's just a matter of making it happen.

No worries.
 StormHammer
11-09-2002, 8:42 PM
Originally posted by michael_collins
I think the best ref. point for Jan is from the original DF mission briefing screen. thou its a lil pixely

Hey, don't diss Jan-of-the-many-pixels. :mad:

j/k ;) :D

I mean, just look at her...

http://www.storm.hammer.btinternet.co.uk/JanO.jpg)

And I added a little colour (and de-pixellated her), just for you, Katarn07...

http://www.storm.hammer.btinternet.co.uk/JanSH.jpg)

Not very much...but what do you expect in half an hour...? :eyeraise:

Anyway, I reckon you mod guys know the best way forward. You've definitely got a lot on your plate, so take whatever artistic license is necessary, IMHO. :)
 Katarn07
11-10-2002, 11:19 AM
Hey, the depixeled Jan looks really good, StormHammer. What art program do you use to do stuff like that?
Also, the colors aren't right yet, but like you said, what can you expect in a half an hour...
 JEDI OUTCAST
11-10-2002, 12:48 PM
they are good.:D
 Infinity Blade
11-11-2002, 5:38 PM
Well... since you are talking about the look... I figured I would show you a mockup of what I have in mind for Jan.

This is by no means a final.. or near final. Or even an actual attempt.

In fact, I'm watching a Star Trek marathon right now on Sci-Fi, and decided to throw this skin together during the past few commercial breaks... so don't be too critical.

I also am going to need to alter the model. I created the skin so it only looks right at this exact angle. :)

Well, you can take a look at my idea:

Click here to see the image. (http://wat.midco.net/eggnog1/janmockup.jpg)

I'm not even sure if I've got the job of making Jan...

OOoooOO!

"Space Seed" is on... gotta go!
 michael_collins
11-11-2002, 7:05 PM
make the grey more blue
 Katarn07
11-11-2002, 7:26 PM
Hey, COOL!!!
 Infinity Blade
11-11-2002, 8:22 PM
The reason the sleeves are more gray than blue is to match the in-game sprite from Dark Forces... It will probably stay in line with those colors. Perhaps not exactly, but you get the idea.

Click here to see the sprite. (http://wat.midco.net/eggnog1/jansprite.gif)

And you also have to remember I only spent a total of about 20 minutes on that skin, too... Many finer details are missing, even some larger ones.

As I said, it's just a test for a generic look and coloring. I just thought some of you might be interested...
 Katarn07
11-11-2002, 8:35 PM
I am VERY interested. You skin looks very good, Blade. You should make the skin for her... Just as you said, spend a little more time on that and VWEALLA!
That ingame shot of Jan makes it look as if she is wearing pants with Corellian blood stripes... That can't be, thoguh. She is a native of Alderaan...
 JEDI OUTCAST
11-12-2002, 1:29 PM
yeah.:D . cool pics.
 michael_collins
11-12-2002, 2:52 PM
lol, didnt mean to sound ungrateful, honest, i like it, i thought intel wore blue thou, thats all:beam2: me up scotty ive done wrong! :D
 Infinity Blade
11-12-2002, 3:18 PM
LOL.... Sorry if I sounded upset or something.

I was just explaining my reasons for the coloring. I like people to know the 'why' behind some things. :)

The rest of the post was just restating that it's merely a test shot.
 Geoffrey S
11-13-2002, 10:55 AM
Nice work for a quick skinning. It looks quite a lot like the original sprite.
 michael_collins
11-16-2002, 8:45 PM
any chance of puttin that on the next update ?
 Infinity Blade
11-23-2002, 9:01 AM
Well, I got tired of working on Kyle last night, so I started doing some stuff for the Jan model instead.

I figured since there hasn't been alot of forum talk, I'd give you guys just a little bit of something...

This is just to give you an idea of how I plan to do Jan. I've already started altering the model, and put some basic textures on there to make it a little more interesting.

Here you go:

Jan Model Image (http://wat.midco.net/eggnog1/janmodel.jpg)

Might have another update on stuff soon....

Gonna take a break now.... Catchya Later!
 Monkey Mania
11-23-2002, 10:53 AM
It already looks like DF Jan! Just add sum textures and presto!

Great work!
 JEDI OUTCAST
11-23-2002, 11:26 AM
true.:D
 Katarn07
11-23-2002, 12:46 PM
Yep, can't wait to have her at my side in Jabba's ship
 StormHammer
11-23-2002, 2:17 PM
Originally posted by Katarn07
Hey, the depixeled Jan looks really good, StormHammer. What art program do you use to do stuff like that?
Also, the colors aren't right yet, but like you said, what can you expect in a half an hour...

Hey, sorry about not getting back to you sooner. I had a hard disk crash, lost some data, and I've only just got everything back up to speed. :(

Anyway...all I did for depixeled Jan was take the original screen grab, use the Clone tool to get rid of some of the text, smudged and blended the rest...then colourised (slightly) what remained. I also smudge/blended all the rough edges, etc., and came up with that pic.

I wasn't really focusing on the colour at all...I just wanted to give it a little definition, because it was all still sepia-looking.

Anyway, I used Paintshop Pro 7. I like the colourise, smudge, lighten, darken, airbrush tools in that program, so I use it a lot. It's cheap, supports Layers, and gets the job done. Maybe one day I'll move up to Photoshop...when I can afford it. :(

If anyone wants me to, I'll do a proper rendering with better colouring and detail...and maybe give her some legs, if someone gives me a good enough reference to work with. :)

infinity_blade...great job on that model. It looks really good. I can't wait to play this mod. :cool:
 Katarn07
11-23-2002, 3:43 PM
I think I need that program... :D
 JEDI OUTCAST
11-23-2002, 4:14 PM
lol.:D
 The_One
11-23-2002, 4:40 PM
I couldn't live without Photoshop. But, back on topic - good job infinity_blade ;)
 t3rr0r
11-25-2002, 7:35 PM
http://wat.midco.net/eggnog1/janmodel.jpg)

oooh, looks nice, but the baggy part of the shirt makes her look chubby. also, the skin is going to make jan younger looking (as opposed to jk2), right? :D
 Infinity Blade
11-26-2002, 8:16 AM
For the skin, I plan on making my own interpretation of jan, based upon the entire series while focusing on her looks in what resource material I have to go by for DF.

And as far as the model, I know what you mean. That part is exactly the same as JO Jan'sat the moment. I plan on having it somewhat baggy, but perhaps not quite so much.

Probably in between the DF Jan mission screen and the regular vest's width. I'll probably have a more well defined pic for you guys in a couple weeks.

I'm gonna be taking a break from working on JO stuff for at least the next few days.

Hope you guys enjoy the demo!
 haravikk
11-26-2002, 3:33 PM
As long as there is a secret level with her in a bathing costume (or less) then I'm happy :D

But seriously, as long as she is more 3D than that god damn original sprite then I couldn't be more pleased with the outcome! Jan Ors rules! Just try and keep the model nice and slim and don't make anything too baggy!
 Katarn07
12-02-2002, 6:09 PM
If you get the Tavion mod, Jan wears nothing more than a strip across her chest, a thong, and boots. She is a stripper at some night club. Two are dancing in a glass cage, and a third one can be found in a Rebel officers room, lying on his bed...

Back to why I came here. Will Jan be smart while at your side in Jabba's ship? I mean, if you spawn people into a level, they're stupid. But if they are scripted, they're pretty good. Do you know if you can script things properly yet?

This also applies for Crix Madine in level 6
 MilesTeg
12-02-2002, 6:35 PM
Originally posted by Katarn07
Do you know if you can script things properly yet?
hm... do the guards in secbase walk even if they donґt notice you?
 Katarn07
12-02-2002, 6:50 PM
Heh, heh. How stupid of me. But allies are different in a way. They can be a pain. Make her follow you, not stand beside you. Same with the other rescue mission.
 JEDI OUTCAST
12-07-2002, 12:43 PM
when do we see jan. level 2 or up.
 Darth_Linux
12-07-2002, 12:49 PM
you first see Jan in the Level 2 mission briefing. It's a bgimage that goes underneath the text though, so at this moment I'm not sure how we are gonna do that . . .
 Katarn07
12-07-2002, 1:16 PM
Can you somehow get a revised, non-pixelated, colored picture of her for the background of the PDA? But then you'd need a Mothma and Jabba as well...
 Geoffrey S
12-08-2002, 3:02 PM
For those two you could use screencaptures from the film.
 The_One
12-08-2002, 3:41 PM
Or we could use our own models for all three...
 Katarn07
12-08-2002, 4:19 PM
Models please...
Page: 1 of 2