Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

WIP: Sephiroth

Page: 3 of 4
 Twisted Vertex
09-28-2002, 10:31 PM
I hope to complete the mesh before i goto sleep tonight. I have a good 2 hours of work before I start spacing out ...........:D

I am doing some experiments with the hair.....don't quite know how I want to do it.....Looks to neat and perfect right now, Which I hope to change.
 Twisted Vertex
09-28-2002, 11:10 PM
http://www.woopadesign.web1000.com/hair.jpg)

Experimental....what do you think? I think Its quite interesting, though highly unrealistic....Flows to much with no wind :) ...
 Double_S84
09-28-2002, 11:45 PM
Like the model but the hair errr not very much. Those two peices on the side are just not right.
 Twisted Vertex
09-28-2002, 11:47 PM
hmmmmmmmmm......Yeah I was thinking the same.....Oh well, Thanks for the input.
 Double_S84
09-28-2002, 11:51 PM
Good luck i can tell the ghair is gonna be a bitch.
 Eldritch
09-29-2002, 12:08 AM
Perhaps try making his hair pointy, rather than rounded like you have it. His hair was more pointy and straight-like in FF7. With round and smooth, it looks like he's gotten a perm. :D

-Anakin
 gorganfloss
09-29-2002, 12:14 AM
Nice model u got there.
And ya, the hair does look a bit...um...off.:rolleyes:
 Midgit Yoda
09-29-2002, 12:36 AM
Heh I actually thought the hair looked quite kewl. GUess I'm a weirdo....
 Zedar
09-29-2002, 5:53 AM
It goes to web1000.globalreachinc.com/and something. What should I do from there to see the pics? I really wanna see this
 FAJ_Simon
09-29-2002, 6:00 AM
great job man keep up the good work but they are right the hair needs some work other than that it looks awesome u da man! hair kinda looks like macaroni and cheeese *drool* *goes to cook some MnC*
 -Chrono_MOT-
09-29-2002, 8:32 AM
Cel-shaded Sephiroth eh? I can do that. I was going to make my Crono model have the DBZ-like anime look. I was planning to do something along the same lines with Midgit's Cloud model.

The key to this is to make sure his eyes have just a little depth (that he has eyebrows and cheekbones) so that way the skin doesn't look like garbage.
 Marth
09-29-2002, 8:50 AM
I have an idea vertex with his hair, just get rid of the side strands you have then it may look a little better

DOn't forget to include his marsume, u can find swords some where in jediknightii.net I have a ladder map when they use swords so it does exist
 Twisted Vertex
09-29-2002, 11:48 AM
I am gonna include the holder for his sword on his back our side not sure yet. I am gonna Fix is hair up. Just thought is was WAY WAY To plain.
 Marth
09-29-2002, 12:17 PM
ok...........................(aukward pause)

I think it be profesional to put it to his side, if u look at him in the game ITS NEVER ON HIS BACK ALWAYS AT HIS SIDE

but if you want sephiroth to look accurtate cut those to hair strands on the side of his head to make him look more accurate
 Twisted Vertex
09-29-2002, 12:42 PM
I am searching the net for ingame shot of sephorith. I found one where He is standing in fire. I see the hair, Instead of it coming form the sides, it splits at the end....Hmmmm...
 Twisted Vertex
09-29-2002, 1:40 PM
HI, ok an Update for you :)

http://www.woopadesign.web1000.com/seph3.jpg)

if you haveing problem click the click then close it. Then click it again.

I included a wireframe view. so the pro's out there can say where the polys are and are not needed.

I am having trouble visualizing the face. It doesn't look right in the viewport, but The render does it somewhat justice. The side view isn't to pleasing.......anybody have some suggestions.

The current polycount is 1877.....So I still have room to GO SICK :)
 Toonces
09-29-2002, 1:58 PM
I really dont see too many areas where I would optimize, perhaps add a few polys to shape up the midsection/hip area. You've got tons polys in the bank to do some subdivision of the face and add detail. I really like arms, the mucsles look great :)

Oh, quick little tip, model the feet and legs in a strait position, I see you have the feet aranged so that they are bending inward quite a bit. When in game his legs will straiten out but his ankles will be rolled inward too much, it'll look wierd. Easy to do, just rotate the feet a little

Keep up the good work :)

edit: by strait I mean follow the current angle you have on the model, dont straiten the bones, all you need to do it rotate out the ankles a bit
 Haemon
09-29-2002, 3:23 PM
The new hair is nice; more natural looking. Since you can't get hair to move you could make 4 or 5 models with different hair and have a script so its constantly changing but then again your computer might have a heart attack. :)

Also after you're done the model are you going to add on his trench coat and make it selectable like the Tyrion model?

Keep the excellent work and good luck.
 Twisted Vertex
09-29-2002, 3:43 PM
Yes there will be a trench coat model...

Toonces,My course of action with face is to Give it the ingame look of ffv11

http://www.deling.net/sephiroth/seph04.jpg)

My intentions are to paint most of the features on the face...eyes and mouth to keep the anime look. If anybody is interested I will release and SDK so people can skin to there liking.
 Midgit Yoda
09-29-2002, 6:17 PM
Question for my own reference as well. In my cloud model I basically made a head almost identicle to Sephiroths (without the hair). Do you think it's really necessary to have the nost actually Meshed on the character or would it look fine to have the nose merely skinned on?
 Twisted Vertex
09-29-2002, 6:27 PM
I would mesh the nose.....Pretty simple process acutally.

http://www.woopadesign.web1000.com/seph4.jpg)

If will release the .max if anybody wants to skin him...I am getting a new modeling prog on Wesenday, and Am really getting frustrated with the constant crashes occurring in max..SERENTIYY NOW!!!!!

I can barely uvw mapp with out it crashing everyother action. Its werid, for awhile it won't crash.....Then there is a time if i breath, or move funny, BAM!!!!! I am staring at my desktop, cursing.
 Phizzle
09-29-2002, 6:31 PM
It looks like the hair is curving. I think Sephy has hair that goes kinda straight up then down not a curve like you have now also the hair looks kinda fat at the end
 Midgit Yoda
09-29-2002, 8:02 PM
Yeah I had to redo the whole head to get enough segments to get a decent face. I think I finally got it though now. And god my 3dsmax crashes like a million times a day as well. lol. It hits the desktop and I'm sittin there saying stuff I didn't even know that I knew lol.
 MysticSpade
09-29-2002, 8:14 PM
this may just be me but i still religiously play FF7 and i have never seen Sephiroth carry a sheath for his sword. also his hair is a little longer than it is in your pic. and his bangs come out at a 45-50 degree angle then come str8 down. i will try to find some reference pics of which i speak.
 Vincent EX-Turk
09-30-2002, 1:06 AM
this may just be me but i still religiously play FF7 and i have never seen Sephiroth carry a sheath for his sword.

I also play FF7, and your right he doesnt have a sheath for his sword.
 ASk
09-30-2002, 7:04 AM
Most posts by Marth were deleted (off-topic, flaming, spam)

He got his first and last warning.
Feel free to report his posts if he continues to spam, it will just get him banned.

Have a nice day.
 Eldritch
09-30-2002, 8:55 AM
Thank you sooo much.
 Zedar
09-30-2002, 10:02 AM
Why can't I go to the site where the pics are??? It jumps to this other site....
 Marth
09-30-2002, 2:37 PM
I have an idea for sephiroth's sword thingy don't give him a holster for his marsume (he doesn't have one) instead see if you can make a stance of him holding his marsume so its pointing backwards when he walks & runs when he turns his saber (sword) off, when he has it out ready to attack he holds it like the other models.

wha do ya think? use ful or not?

im hurt most people don't enjoy my presence makes me feel bad, really bad
 TheWhiteRaider
10-01-2002, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by Vincent EX-Turk

I also play FF7, and your right he doesnt have a sheath for his sword.

He sort of did, but it was more of a ring on his belt. Not a big sheath like that. But then again it doesn't look too bad.

I have an idea for sephiroth's sword thingy don't give him a holster for his marsume (he doesn't have one) instead see if you can make a stance of him holding his marsume so its pointing backwards when he walks & runs when he turns his saber (sword) off, when he has it out ready to attack he holds it like the other models.

That would be hard to do. And it requires a $15k dollar program(Correct me if I'm wrong)
 MysticSpade
10-01-2002, 12:38 AM
actually he does not even have a ring for his sword when they r tiny in the game of FF7 they just stuck the sword to his side. he has nothin to sheath his sword. and the swords name is "Massumune" i have a replica of the sword that it is modeled after. the handle is 2' long and the blade is (on mine) is 5 1/2 possible 6' in length. but Sephiroth walked with his sword flatside down on his shoulder whilst holdin in his hand (this is in the cutscenes of the game, when he's not killin someone). so there's no sheath for his sword. especially if your modelin the Sephiroth from the final battle in Clouds mind where he was in his pants and boots no shirt. those who've made it this far in the FF7 game no what i'm talkin bout.
 Darth Vigrid
10-01-2002, 12:55 AM
I always thought his sword was the masamune, the same one Edge used in FF4.
 MysticSpade
10-01-2002, 12:58 AM
it is the same sword tis just a diff title they change the titles of weapons in FF games for some stupid reason.

EDIT: my bad it is the same title
i changed the name in my previous post
 Zedar
10-01-2002, 6:55 AM
Originally posted by Darth Vigrid
I always thought his sword was the masamune, the same one Edge used in FF4.
It is Masamune
 MysticSpade
10-01-2002, 1:20 PM
i corrected myself on my posts
 Marth
10-01-2002, 3:42 PM
OK Vertex i made my portrait a sephiroth pic determine what u need from it (it may not be much)
 Eldritch
10-01-2002, 5:27 PM
Marth,

Just so you know, it's an avatar, not a portrait.

-Anakin
 Midgit Yoda
10-01-2002, 5:40 PM
YEah and the avatar is tiny. Post a link to something. Also I'm sure he has plenty of reference pics.
 Twisted Vertex
10-01-2002, 8:43 PM
YEah so, everything is complete. I removed the sword holster thing. everything went through assimalte fine, and look nice in modview. Ingame was a new story. PURE HELL.......SERENITY NOW!!! SERENITY NOW!!!!!!!!

breath......ok....He has no head, The arms are holding the saber behind his back, the saber is like 15 feet in the air. He walks like he is friggin drunk, and the are nice little spaces between the segements. My question, What kind of person wants to go through this each model? .........My god this is horrible.

Ut2k3 is looking sooooooooooooo good right now.
 Midgit Yoda
10-01-2002, 9:28 PM
Sounds like my gumby model (the first time). No segments broken in modview then in game they were all over the place. Plus his saber was all over the place too. Try re attaching it all and then detaching it.
 bomberman_xc
10-02-2002, 12:27 AM
for the trenchcoat model.....very good:
http://www.falconmoogle.com/Sephiroth.gif)
 MysticSpade
10-02-2002, 2:28 AM
did he even say he was doin a trenchcoat model
 Midgit Yoda
10-02-2002, 8:22 AM
In his old thread he did say he might do a trench-coat model of Sephiroth. He's havin a lotta problems right now with Sephy though. Musashi, if u want me to work on it, send the .max files and skin files and all to me at zash@redwallstudios.com I'll be able to work on him a bit tonight. I think I know what the problemo is.
 Twisted Vertex
10-02-2002, 9:17 AM
Problem is the aligment of the tags.......I am gonna try aligning everything. I'll see about doing it after my morning ride....until then.........I am gonna put it off for a bit....TOmmorrow my new 3d app comes in the mail....Ut2k3 here i come.
 TheWhiteRaider
10-02-2002, 8:37 PM
I know one thing is that Cloud said after Presedent Shinra(Not Rufus) that Sephiroth was the only one that could use the Masamune. Man that must be a big sword.
 MysticSpade
10-02-2002, 8:49 PM
read my post bout the size of it it's on one of the last 2 pages.
 Eldritch
10-02-2002, 10:07 PM
Wouldn't it just have been easier (and nicer) for you to *tell* him the measurements, rather than having him search through the thread to find it?

-Anakin
 Sephiroth CR
10-04-2002, 11:20 PM
What is Ut2k3? Everyone is talkin about it and I have no idea what it is.
 Eldritch
10-04-2002, 11:34 PM
UT2K3 stands for : Unreal Tournament 2003.

-Anakin
 Sephiroth CR
10-05-2002, 12:55 PM
Ok. Is it a video game?
Page: 3 of 4