Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

WIP: Joruus C'baoth

Page: 2 of 5
 Darth Vigrid
07-17-2002, 11:49 PM
Thanks, I think the new one captures his personality a bit more and the hair is more defined. I'm happy to hear about the new Zahn books. His Trilogy was absolutely my favorite out of all the Star Wars books.
 Darth Vigrid
07-18-2002, 8:09 AM
I started to work on the top of the robe and I can already see that this model is probably going to turn out better than my original. The hair isn't finished though. I have to finish the robe first.

Updated Pics:

http://www.geocities.com/donahuepj/)

What do you think?
 cROsIs**
07-18-2002, 8:13 AM
Lookin nice.
 Harukaze
07-18-2002, 9:04 AM
You said you're building the model wrapped around the skeleton already, correct? Will this model be able to frown and blink and everything like most of the Raven models can? If not, no biggie, since most now don't, but I was just curious.
 Gram_Reaper
07-18-2002, 9:32 AM
Haurkaze, do you know of any mp models that have came out that can blink and stuff in game?
 Harukaze
07-18-2002, 10:27 AM
I haven't checked nearly all of them, but the only ones I've seen blink and flex their hands and such are the Raven crafted models. They fidget, which, to me, seems to add more life to the models. And also, as of what, a week or so ago, it's much more likely to see these models in the SP game as well. I could easily see an SP mission created with Joruus as a villain. It would be endlessly interesting to see how that fight is handled... I think it could be entirely done without Joruus using a lightsaber at all, and still have a challenge. Much akin to how Desann owns Kyle early on in the game. Yes, that would be interesting.... *ponders* Perhaps a lightsaber for minimal defense anyway, but not truly for offense.

Sorry, getting off base. I was just momentarily inspired. *grins* And still thinking about that skin. I've got him planned out perfectly in my head, and I'm itching to get started, whether or not my other project is finished yet ^_^
 MaulerZ
07-18-2002, 10:35 AM
WOW!!!!! This is a great looking model I'll dl it as soon as it comes out......Vigrid GW!!!!
 Darth Vigrid
07-19-2002, 2:28 AM
I think the reason most custom models aren't released with the moving facial expressions is because it is probably a long process which involves weighting the face to all of the facial bones (And there is alot of them!). Spacemonkey's tutorial says to completely ignore them, and just weight the head and face to the head and neck bones. I could be wrong about this though. I do agree though that Joruus would be much better in Single Player with facial bones. If I don't release this model with facial bones perhaps I can do a second updated version that will include them, but I don't think their absence would detract much from the model. I'm looking foward to the skinning phase as well.
 Harukaze
07-19-2002, 6:27 AM
That would be wonderful, but I agree with your decision to hold off until later.

I do hope it happens someday; Joruus' insanity could be truly brought out with facial expressions, as could Jorus' relative strength and stability.

I'm off from work tomorrow, so Il'l be trying to finish up my Zabrak. I'm consider scapping the whole team support and concentrate on making one exceptional [for me anyway] skin. Not only that, but then I'll be ready to begin Jorus the moment you unwrap him.

Wow, that sounds wrong; I think I'll just end this post now.
 Darth Vigrid
07-20-2002, 3:30 AM
The model is nearly complete. I just have a few more details to add. Here's the updated pic.

adillon
07-20-2002, 4:22 AM
wow, DV, the model is looking wonderful. maybe your computer crisis was a blessing in disguise. i actually think that this version is better than the first. ;)

my only 3 comments/questions are as follows ... :confused:

1 - can you make the cuffs slightly larger? in the model they look significantly smaller/tighter than in the sketch.

2 - based on the sketch, it seems that the opening (split) in the lower part of his robe and his belt are more situated to his left. can you possibly adjust them in the model so that they aren't centered on his body (a little more dramatic)?

3 - the model makes it look like he has a pretty big forehead ... i think he needs to have some hair falling down into his face, again like the sketch (just a little bit).

don't take these comments negatively. the model is nearing perfection ... splendid job on his facial hair. keep up the great work! :D
 Darth Vigrid
07-20-2002, 6:25 AM
1. You're right about the cuffs, I'll make them wider.

2. I'm still working on the bottom of the robe. I'll see if the I can move the split to the side a little and see how it works out.

3. The hairline with definetely be lowered to look more like the sketch and the book. And, About the hair, does anybody know how to make shaders with alpha maps?

Thanks for the comments. Criticism is always welcome.
 Harukaze
07-20-2002, 9:05 AM
No, but maybe the author of the Wookie model can help you out? Couldn't hurt to ask him.
 adillon
07-20-2002, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Darth Vigrid
does anybody know how to make shaders with alpha maps?

i have yet to play around with anything, but check out this thread (http://64.246.44.70/~lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=70148) where i gave sniper wolf some links for shader and alpha mapping tutorials.

i really hope it helps you out! :D
 Darth Vigrid
07-20-2002, 1:26 PM
Cool, I'll read up on it.
 Darth Vigrid
07-22-2002, 3:42 AM
I made the sleeves wider, finished up the hair, and added some more details. I'm keeping the robe split down the middle. I just think it will work better that way. I think I'm pretty much finished with the actual modeling (If you think I've missed something let me know). Still have all the technical stuff to finish.

Updated Pics:

adillon
07-22-2002, 11:07 AM
yeah, DV, Joruus is looking *BLEEP* great! the hair is looking mucho better, and i like the cuffs wider. good stuff you got there! :D

btw, did the alpha map tutorial help you out at all?
 BobaFett9999
07-22-2002, 1:41 PM
:fett:

This Model will be absolutely brilliant, its a godo thing some people are up to making cool models.

I appreciate the effort you are putting in!

Just to give you another cool idea; you could make a Darth Rage Model, just image search on Google. He is sweet; he uses two lightsabers.

Well thanks again for your effort; i love new models that are actually good.

:fett:
 Darth Vigrid
07-22-2002, 3:21 PM
Hey, thanks alot. I think it's safe to say my second model has turned out much better than my first, and I'm kind of glad I lost the first one. Right now I'm in the process of weighting, and then it's on to UVW mapping. Adillon, I looked at the alpha map tutorial breifly and it looked like some very helpful information (Once I start skinning I'll be sure to read the whole thing). Thanks again for the help.
 remark 666
07-22-2002, 4:02 PM
damn, the page is down
 Darth Vigrid
07-23-2002, 12:35 AM
I've weighted the model quickly to see if I could get it in-game, and I've run into a problem during assimilate.

I get the message:

Bone "ld1eff" not found
Bone "lhand_tag_bone" not found

These bones are present so I don't know what the problem is. Someone has probably had this problem before so I'll search the forum, but if anyone can help me here that would be great.
 Darth Vigrid
07-23-2002, 2:06 PM
Anavel Gato had the same problem I had with his Padme model, so I've fixed it. I have to weight the robe agian though. Some vertices have more than 4 bones weighted to them.
 Harukaze
07-23-2002, 7:14 PM
Refresh my memory... did you say you're going to need help unwrapping too?
 Darth Vigrid
07-23-2002, 7:23 PM
I shouldn't need any help unwrapping it. I've never done it before, but I have some good tutorials and I think I'll be able to manage.
 Darth Vigrid
07-24-2002, 3:22 AM
I got the model into ModView and it was all messed up. The torso was not even connected to the legs and alot of the body parts were floating in various places. Does anybody know what I might have done wrong? Is this just a weighting problem?
 cROsIs**
07-25-2002, 11:25 PM
G
O
O
D

J
O
B

Hopes that this post begins next page.
 Darth Vigrid
07-26-2002, 1:01 PM
I'm just now fixing the problem I mentioned earlier. After I'm done I'm going to UVW map the model before I weight it, so Harukaze and I can skin it.
 Grafox
07-26-2002, 1:08 PM
Looking forward to the model!
 StarViperPilot
07-26-2002, 2:36 PM
Very nice! Thank you for taking time to make this model we needed and older jedi in game. :D :D :D :ben:
 Darth Vigrid
07-30-2002, 1:01 PM
UVW mapping should be completed today and then I'll get right to skinning (which might take me awhile).
 ronbrothers
07-30-2002, 8:38 PM
I can't wait ... :D
 Darth Vigrid
07-31-2002, 3:32 PM
I'm having some problems mapping the hair. I've tried it a few different ways and I haven't really liked how they have turned out. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I should approach the hair mapping?

Here's some pictures of it:

http://www.geocities.com/donahuepj/hair.html)
 <JOTD>Jedi Hunter
07-31-2002, 10:41 PM
Very nice man. Tis post doesnt really have anything to do with this model but about a future project. I was thinking maybe you could model/skin the clone luke from the zahn novel the last command. Anyway it looks wonderful man. Keep it up... I creamed myself upon looking at it for the first time... lo j/k. Have a good one. :)
 Wes Marrakesh
07-31-2002, 11:16 PM
nice model! i'll be looking forward to this being released!
 Darth Vigrid
08-01-2002, 3:05 AM
Mapping is complete and I've sent the model to Harukaze so he can start the Jorus skin. I'll start on the Joruus skin right away.

Thanks everybody for your support.
 nucular_jedi_14
08-01-2002, 3:11 AM
sry just had 2 say it:D
 <JOTD>Jedi Hunter
08-01-2002, 7:49 PM
Vigrid, can you post some in game shots? If not then that's cool. :) I look forward to seeing this in the jk2.net models section. :D
 Darth Vigrid
08-02-2002, 2:10 AM
Sorry, but Joruus isn't in-game yet. I still have to weight the mesh. I did a quick weighting before, but I had to scrap it because I ran in to some problems (which were later worked out).
 Darth Vigrid
08-02-2002, 4:20 AM
I've made some progress skinning the face.

Early Face Skin (http://www.geocities.com/donahuepj/skin.html)

What do you think?
 adillon
08-02-2002, 7:23 AM
DV-

holy *BLEEP* ... that's looking great. i think there needs to be some blending or something at the top of his nose and around his eyelids, but i am very impressed. is he supposed to be so GRAY though?

btw, i really dig how people chang their avatars to showcase their WIPs ... a little tease perhaps. i knew something momentous had happened when i saw yours was different.

keep up the great work, man!! :D
 Darth Vigrid
08-02-2002, 9:40 AM
Yeah I have some more work to do on the nose, and I haven't even touched the eyelids yet. I'm going to add color later, its alot easier to do the skin in black and white first and then add color.
 adillon
08-02-2002, 10:27 AM
its alot easier to do the skin in black and white first and then add color.

is it easier to do it that way?! maybe that's why i'm having problems with a skin i'm currently working on. :rolleyes:

so tell me, if you start the skin in grayscale, how do you go about adding color to it?
 Darth Vigrid
08-02-2002, 10:31 AM
This is my first skin, so I'm no expert, but I've read a few tutorials. You can add color by creating new layers of color and messing around with the opacity and different modes.
 Darth Vigrid
08-02-2002, 9:12 PM
Harukaze is supposed to do the Jorus skin. I sent him the model but he hasn't replied. He's usually a pretty active person in these forums. Hopefully he's still around.
 Def
08-02-2002, 9:31 PM
You should make a robed version with hood and one without hood.

Nice work by the way! :)
 Sivy
08-02-2002, 9:41 PM
Looking good, the face is great.
Can't wait untill it's finished.
 Darth Vigrid
08-03-2002, 7:14 PM
I did some more work on the face and beard and started the chest.

Updated Pics Here (http://www.geocities.com/donahuepj/skin.html)
 t3rr0r
08-03-2002, 7:17 PM
I did some more work on the face and beard and started the chest.

Updated Pics Here (http://www.geocities.com/donahuepj/skin.html)
looking good. the shadows on the chest seem a little dark, though. also, you still planning on using an alpha map on the hair?
 Darth Vigrid
08-03-2002, 8:38 PM
The chest will probably look better once I color it. As for the alpha maps, yes I'm going to try them out. However, I know on yoda they were used to make the hair thin. And Joruus's hair is pretty thick (even the beard). Can alpha maps be used without making the hair appear real thin?
 Def
08-03-2002, 9:21 PM
It's looking real good! Keep up the good work! :)
Page: 2 of 5