Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Begun, the IG-88 model has. Yes, hmmmm.

Page: 2 of 3
 HapSlash
08-07-2002, 9:20 AM
I could try it out,.. I'm not all that good at it yet, but I've got the basics down.

Nice to see you back though, I was afraid that we may have permanently lost you,...
 VampireHunterD
08-07-2002, 5:09 PM
I could try it out,.. I'm not all that good at it yet, but I've got the basics down.

Thank you. And I'll send it to your email right away. You are free to use whatever means necessary to get it skinned. Thanks. :D
 Padawan_7
08-17-2002, 12:14 PM
Hey Hapslash, have you gotten anywhere with the IG-88 skin?
 trowa500
08-17-2002, 2:25 PM
i think these jakasses stopped ig-88
 VampireHunterD
08-17-2002, 4:47 PM
i think these jakasses stopped ig-88

HapSlash is quite a busy man Trowa. He'll get to work on it when he has the chance.

And try to fight urge of impatience Trowa. Your life does not depend on having IG-88 ingame. ;)
 HapSlash
08-17-2002, 7:25 PM
Actually I've been working with the model quite a bit over the last week.

The first thing I did when I received it was to take a look at the poly count. 'D' mentioned that it was too high to include any more modeled detail, but I wanted to see if I could shave it down a bit.

Next thing I know I'm going through, altering this, tweaking that, and there's no hope in stopping me!! I know,... I have a problem. I'm a freak for detail and accuracy,... I just can't help it.

Now don't get me wrong, what 'D' sent me was a "Nice frickin' model!". And nothing I've altered could have been done without all his hard work to begin with. I didn't make the whole model, I just refined it.

The reason I haven't shown anything yet is that I didn't want to post 'till I had the go ahead from him. Now with that said, here's a picture of what I've done. If you're not happy with the revisions, don't roast me alive. Just wave your torches and pitchforks around a bit and I'll clumsily stalk my way back to my old & forgotten castle dungeon.

http://wat.midco.net/eggnog1/ig88-modeltest.jpg)

http://wat.midco.net/eggnog1/ig88-skintest.jpg)

After all the revisions were made, I found that the model had dropped approx. 400 polys.
 Midgit Yoda
08-17-2002, 7:44 PM
***Wave's pitch fork and torch, then looks at image***
damnit. It's good. No running him to his castle to day :(
lol j/k
It's good man, keep it up.
 KMan
08-17-2002, 9:34 PM
Well, from what I remember from IG it is coming along pretty good. I'd say that the metals are a bit too btight though. Are you going to add a metalic shader to this bad boy?
 Eets
08-17-2002, 9:36 PM
Man... I don't even like IG-88 that much, and he looks AWESOME to me, hap! Great job!
 SithMaster01
08-17-2002, 10:02 PM
Hey Vampire Hunter D can you model his large gun!!!
 Midgit Yoda
08-17-2002, 11:23 PM
yeah D, you gotta make the gun, (you're awesome at weapons)
 trowa500
08-17-2002, 11:41 PM
hey slash wow! its near perfection the only other skin ive seen this close r samus and hinu. and my life does depend on it
:sweat: :chainsaw:
 Padawan_7
08-18-2002, 12:17 AM
Hey that looks great Hapslash! :)

Just one thing.... I was looking at my 3 3/4" figure of IG-88 and it shows that his hands are pincer-like claws that are not connected.

Keep up the good work man.
IT'S REALLY LOOKING GREAT!!! :D
 HapSlash
08-18-2002, 1:33 AM
That's just the way that the toys were made, I presume so that it would be easier to get the guns in and out.

The actual movie prop had metal rings for the hands, which were shaped as such. The wider part was made so that a gun's
handle could fit into it, while the thinner area would be wrapped around the trigger guard for extra support.

A shader to give him a metallic sheen would be pretty nice, but I'm not very knowledgeable in that area. I'll probably just
tackle the basic layer of the skin and let 'D' decide where to go from there. Having the lights on his head glow would be great
as well,...
 KMan
08-18-2002, 1:52 AM
Actually, just do the same effect that the other droids have with the specularity map.

And to get lights and stuff to glow-
Make a new layer in Photoshop (If you are using it)
Draw in the glow that you want.
Save that as a new image and then resize it to like 25% or 50% original size (you wont need all that detail, and it will save on memory) then just have that image load up with the shader as an additive effect. If you want me to help you with that, just let me know when you get to the finishing stages.
 VampireHunterD
08-18-2002, 3:21 AM
yeah D, you gotta make the gun, (you're awesome at weapons)

Yep, I'm gonna make his gun while I'm at it. I'll need some reference pics though to make it. Anyone have any good views of the gun? :D
 VampireHunterD
08-18-2002, 3:25 AM
Hey Kman, you wanna give it a try at making some mettalic shaders for IG-88? :D
 HapSlash
08-18-2002, 3:46 AM
IG-88's Pulse Cannon
http://www.partsofsw.com/plscan.htm)
 VampireHunterD
08-18-2002, 8:24 AM
Thanks HapSlash. This pic will work nicely. :)
 t3rr0r
08-18-2002, 1:01 PM
the skin looks great hapslash... always love your work. :D
 VampireHunterD
08-18-2002, 1:06 PM
Originally posted by t3rr0r
the skin looks great hapslash... always love your work. :D

I always enjoy his work too. That's why I always go to HapSlash when it involves skinning. :D And HapSlash is becoming an excellent modeler as well. :D
 trowa500
08-19-2002, 12:57 AM
will u guys b able to release the ig88 plasma rilfe with the ig88 model?
 TheMadDoofer
08-19-2002, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by HapSlash
Actually I've been working with the model quite a bit over the last week.

The first thing I did when I received it was to take a look at the poly count. 'D' mentioned that it was too high to include any more modeled detail, but I wanted to see if I could shave it down a bit.

Next thing I know I'm going through, altering this, tweaking that, and there's no hope in stopping me!! I know,... I have a problem. I'm a freak for detail and accuracy,... I just can't help it.

Now don't get me wrong, what 'D' sent me was a "Nice frickin' model!". And nothing I've altered could have been done without all his hard work to begin with. I didn't make the whole model, I just refined it.

The reason I haven't shown anything yet is that I didn't want to post 'till I had the go ahead from him. Now with that said, here's a picture of what I've done. If you're not happy with the revisions, don't roast me alive. Just wave your torches and pitchforks around a bit and I'll clumsily stalk my way back to my old & forgotten castle dungeon.

http://wat.midco.net/eggnog1/ig88-modeltest.jpg)

http://wat.midco.net/eggnog1/ig88-skintest.jpg)

After all the revisions were made, I found that the model had dropped approx. 400 polys.

Only 400 polys? That's great! I could have about ten IG-88s running around with minor lag on my computer!
 Eets
08-19-2002, 10:40 AM
It's more than 400 polies. :D

He said he dropped 400 polies, meaning after he was done editing the vertices, there were 400 less polies.
 Deetox187
08-19-2002, 10:57 AM
lol a 400 poly model would look like a bunch of blocks put together. :p
 Gram_Reaper
08-19-2002, 11:47 AM
Sweet you guys, the model is awesome, and the skin looks amazing. Keep up the good work. And Vamp, nice job on the blaster repeater that he uses
 Zathu Koon
08-19-2002, 2:22 PM
Looks good, keep up the good work :)
 trowa500
08-19-2002, 3:31 PM
i want updates
 HapSlash
08-19-2002, 5:09 PM
I thought you would,...

http://wat.midco.net/eggnog1/88.jpg)

All of the gray areas have been mapped (not skinned) with the exception of the bandolier. It's taking me a little longer than I originally thought. This is the first full model that I've had to map out, and I can only take so much before my brain turns to gelatin,...
 TheMadDoofer
08-19-2002, 5:34 PM
Originally posted by Deetox187
lol a 400 poly model would look like a bunch of blocks put together. :p

You're right. I completely misread it.:D
IG-88 would look like the robots on the original Starfox game for SNES, if you have ever played it.
 VampireHunterD
08-19-2002, 6:13 PM
Originally posted by HapSlash
I thought you would,...

http://wat.midco.net/eggnog1/88.jpg)

All of the gray areas have been mapped (not skinned) with the exception of the bandolier. It's taking me a little longer than I originally thought. This is the first full model that I've had to map out, and I can only take so much before my brain turns to gelatin,...

Good work HapSlash!:D Keep it up!:D But if you need to take a break please take one b/c I don't want your brain to fry. j/k lol. Anyway please take as much time as you want to get this model skinned and fixed up. I appreciate all the hard work you're putting in to this model.:D

Boy am I glad I chose you to skin it!:D :D :D :D
 trowa500
08-19-2002, 11:14 PM
very nice skin so far :) could it b a hint darker?
 SithMaster01
08-20-2002, 10:34 AM
I agree he should look a little banged up as well
 Gram_Reaper
08-20-2002, 7:30 PM
yeah some blaster marks here and there would add a little personality.
 BradFu
08-20-2002, 7:35 PM
Whooo! I haven't looked in this thread in a while, this fella is lookin good! Great model, and great skin so far! :D
 t3rr0r
08-20-2002, 7:40 PM
after looking at some images, the bandolier could stand to be slimmed down a bit. don't get me wrong, i still love it. :D
 Midgit Yoda
08-20-2002, 9:53 PM
Looks great. Gettin excited.
 t3rr0r
08-23-2002, 4:24 PM
calm down trowa.
 12thMonkey
08-23-2002, 7:06 PM
Trowa you must really want this model.:)
 Midgit Yoda
08-23-2002, 10:38 PM
Over anticipation :rolleyes:
 trowa500
08-24-2002, 12:45 AM
i shoulda made my own ig88 like vamp offered but i know he did a great job its just waitin for updates which isnt often
 VampireHunterD
08-24-2002, 6:18 PM
Originally posted by trowa500
i shoulda made my own ig88 like vamp offered but i know he did a great job its just waitin for updates which isnt often

Now I wonder when HapSlash will be back with another update. hmm... :D Anyway I'm not the one in charge of the skinning and fixing up job and HapSlash hasn't told me anything recently so I can't announce any updates until he's finished. Show HapSlash some patience Trowa. He's new to all this modeling stuff.

But don't worry, HapSlash apparently learns really damn fast. A lot faster than I ever did. lol. :D
 trowa500
08-28-2002, 11:39 PM
ive givin up on jkii its just not what it used to b i hardly see half the ppl playin as b4 and modelers r working slower and slower
 Sounds Risky
08-28-2002, 11:44 PM
Bye.
 Kit Fisto
08-29-2002, 1:15 AM
big loss. you will be missed *sarcasm*
 Andy867
08-29-2002, 3:02 AM
Its not the that modelers are working slower and slower, its because people keep pestering the modeler to change the smallest details, which makes it take longer, although -Tercero- loves the critique. It helps make the Anakin model great. and people aren't playing as much because there hasn't been any wood to the fire to keep JKII alive, and plus more people are wanting to try out modeling, so they don';t play. but I am sure if Raven releases the key to animation, there will be a huge fire to burn in the Jedi Outcast community. But, if you are leaving, we won't stop you.. its your choice.
 aL BeasTie
08-29-2002, 4:17 AM
It's a shame that Shoemaker is leaving, there's not many ppl doing cool Classic Trilogy characters. But it must be very tiresome to take complaints and un-constructive criticism. But half the time it comes from a highly critical teenager (u know the kind who watch movie just to say "That's so fake" every 2 minutes)

These people are rarely liked as by other people, they tend to wind up lonley in their old age and spend there money on perverse sexual practices that you have to travel to strange foreign countries so it can be practiced legally.

But in short these people are of no use to the rest of the world, I suggest not coming here for a while. Work on your model and do it YOUR WAY. Release it to jkii.net, and tell everyone where they can put it.

This way you can have the fulfillment of completeing your model and kicking some arse with it. (I mean that was the idea wasn't it)

Remember people no company in the world would make people work under these conditions (except Nike). This is some high demanding work to have to put up with other people's outlooks and expectations of YOUR PERSONAL ARTWORK. And put them into place as well as demands for your work to be finished within a time frame. Plus in this case it's all in YOUR OWN TIME. I'm unemployed right now and I don't have free time often!

If models were made this way for games (they would be some awesome models for JK2 instead of those Spandex Jedi's) Game companies would be taken to court for In-Humane working conditions.

Modeller's/Skinner's - Do your own thing, do what you wanted to do in the first place. If you listen to too much advice you'll be up all night adding an extra light on your new Darth Vader model when you know that even on a cosmetic level IT'S ****ING POINTLESS!!!!

Food for thought, or print it out an line your bird cage!
 Woodrodius
08-29-2002, 5:16 AM
Beastie, I may be wrong but I think Shoemaker was just saying bye to Trowa.
 Andy867
08-29-2002, 6:09 AM
woodrodius, you're right, Matt Shoemaker is not leaving. He was just saying HIS farewell TO trowa, who is the one leaving. but this thread needs to get back on topic.. Keep up the good work, and let's see this model get finished!
 Sounds Risky
08-29-2002, 1:42 PM
No worries, I'm not going. I still need to finish my Ithorian damnit, and I intend to do so.

Oh and the model is looking quite nice. It's nice to finally see eyes on it.
Page: 2 of 3