Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Significance of Lightsaber colors?

Page: 1 of 1
 Exar Kun II
05-28-2002, 1:55 AM
I'm not the Star Wars expert that many of you are, yet. So a question that has always intrigued me is, is there some significance to the lightsaber colors?

1.)Why do most Jedi prefer green, blue, or yellow? Is it personal preference or is their some significance in terms of their ranking in the Jedi order?

2.)Why are the Dark Lord's sabers exclusively red? Is their some meaning to this?

I welcome any answers.
 MotionMan
05-28-2002, 1:59 AM
Well as i understand it jedi's use certain crystals that make the sabers either blue or green.

Sith's use sith crystals and it makes their sabers red.

sith crystals make the sabers more powerfull(not much) but not as agile as the jedi crystals.

Yellow sabers? never seen them

Mace has a purple one just cause he requested it to Lucas. Also it says its an electrum lightsaber. Mabe its purple cause it doesnt use crystals its electric(!?).

All my info comes mainly from the visual dictionary:)
 Redwing
05-28-2002, 2:14 AM
You didn't read the Visual Dictionary closely enough. The electrum in his saber is the saber's gold-colored finish. "For Council senior only". :D

Sith crystals are synthesized; engineered to make a very slightly stronger blade when given dark energy from the user. Since Jedi crystals aren't, we have to assume that means blue and green producing crystals are the most common. However, obviously not all natural crystals are blue or green---observe Mace Windu's vibrant purple blade.
 MotionMan
05-28-2002, 2:27 AM
Thanks for clearing that up.
I dont own the book I just read some of it.:)
 Ferox
05-28-2002, 3:34 AM
oh yeah ! purple rules hehehe. its the saber i always use in jedi knight 2
 Exar Kun II
05-28-2002, 4:14 AM
You all forgot to mention that Mace windu's lightsaber has "
 Exar Kun II
05-28-2002, 4:17 AM
You all forgot to mention that beside's being purple, Mace Windu's lightsaber has "BAD M****R F****R" engraved on the side, LOL!:D
 Raynaga
05-28-2002, 4:22 AM
Surprised no one has mentioned the Blue/Green Master/Trainer thing.

--R--
 Exar Kun II
05-28-2002, 4:28 AM
Originally posted by Redwing
You didn't read the Visual Dictionary closely enough. The electrum in his saber is the saber's gold-colored finish. "For Council senior only". :D

Sith crystals are synthesized; engineered to make a very slightly stronger blade when given dark energy from the user. Since Jedi crystals aren't, we have to assume that means blue and green producing crystals are the most common. However, obviously not all natural crystals are blue or green---observe Mace Windu's vibrant purple blade.

Gold handled lightsabers, I have never seen those, were there any in the movie?
 Redwing
05-28-2002, 4:36 AM
Mace Windu's saber was black, silver and gold (electrum)
 Redwing
05-28-2002, 4:38 AM
That's because it's completely false. :D

EDIT: @ Raynaga's post...x_x
 Raynaga
05-28-2002, 5:28 AM
That's because it's completely false. :D

EDIT: @ Raynaga's post...x_x

Hasn't stopped that idiocy about Boba Fett surviving the Pit, now has it?

--R--
 Exar Kun II
05-28-2002, 6:33 AM
So the Sith use different crystals, eh? Interesting, I did not know that. It makes sense. I know that the crystals that are found in the Jedi lightsabers are mined on a certain planet in the Republic. I cannot imagine the Sith and the Jedi getting their crystals from the same location. You would have something like this. . .

Obi Wan : ". . .Hey Darth, how's it hangin'?. . ."

Maul : ". . .Damned Lord Sidious busting my balls as usual, what brings you here?"

Obi Wan : "With my Padawan, getting some crystals for his lightsaber, told him to get me some as well."

Maul : "Jeez, you guys have the life. Have your apprentices do all the dirtywork. Too bad us Sith Lords can't have apprentices, until one of us dies."

Obi Wan : "C'mon Darth, you know the rules, no more than two. a master and an-"

Maul : "Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know. An apprentice! Damned Darth Bane. And what the hell kind of name is Darth anyway? I tell you Obi, sometimes I want to defect to the light side."

Obi Wan : "Hey, come on over."

Maul : "Nah, you guys don't have those cool double ended sabers. I put a lot of work into building mine, I would hate to lose it. Hey! here comes your Padawan!"

Obi wan(sighs) : "Finally. Took him long enough. Well, I'm outta here. Guess you'll be going in after your crystals now, Darth?"

Maul (curses under his breath) : "Yeah, the damned red ones are alll the way in the back, of course!"

Obi Wan : "Those are the breaks. Hey, take care, guy."

Maul : "You too, Obi. See you next week on Naboo. Bring your lightsaber."

Obi Wan : "Will do."

Now, since that exchange is not very plausible, are the Sith crystals on the Sith world of Korriban or somewhere else?
 OldSkoolJedi
05-28-2002, 8:02 AM
Nuh Uh

Ok I Read Somewhere, The Color Of The Lightsaber Depends On The Crystal you Use, Double Edge's Are Exclusive To Siths, Jedi's Crystal's Are Natural, Sith's Crystals Uh, "Humanoid Made" But Siths Tend To Use Their Hate To Power The Crystals To Make Them Stronger =/

Hope It Worked Out, Later
 Redwing
05-28-2002, 8:43 AM
ROTFLMAO!!!! That conversation would be a beauty to see...:D

But no, Sith crystals are synthetic...artificially produced.

@Raynaga: What are you talking about? That was EU...a clouded window into the Star Wars universe...in other words canon unless contradicted by a higher source, which in a pyramid is EU books > radio plays > novelizations > the movies. So Fett escaping is canon unless Lucas contradicts that in a new Star Wars movie...

I've never seen that loony green = master, blue = apprentice idea in the EU...so what are you talking about? Do you just have unresolved personal problems? :D
 Exar Kun II
05-28-2002, 12:34 PM
synthetic. . .synthetic. . .synthetic:D . Duh. I didn't catch that. Yes, manufactured. Hmmm. So that makes the sith saber more concentrated, though it's strength over the Jedi saber is negligible.
 C'jais
05-28-2002, 12:39 PM
in other words canon unless contradicted by a higher source, which in a pyramid is EU books > radio plays > novelizations > the movies. So Fett escaping is canon unless Lucas contradicts that in a new Star Wars movie...

WTF are you smoking??

I really hope you were joking there kid....

The order is reverse: Everything Lucas makes in the movies rules out anything those half-assed fanfic-writers produce.
 MotionMan
05-28-2002, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Exar Kun II
synthetic. . .synthetic. . .synthetic:D . Duh. I didn't catch that. Yes, manufactured. Hmmm. So that makes the sith saber more concentrated, though it's strength over the Jedi saber is negligible.

More powerfull(not my much) but less agile than the jedi sabers:)
 bigDAN456
05-28-2002, 8:28 PM
Why are the synthetic crystals all RED?
 Jaster21801
05-28-2002, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by cjais

WTF are you smoking??

I really hope you were joking there kid....

The order is reverse: Everything Lucas makes in the movies rules out anything those half-assed fanfic-writers produce.

Dude chill! It all depends on your point of view. It's obvious he's saying that the EU stuff has the least amount of validity. Just relax...
 Redwing
05-29-2002, 2:00 AM
@Raynaga: What are you talking about? That was EU...a clouded window into the Star Wars universe...in other words canon unless contradicted by a higher source, which in a pyramid is EU books > radio plays > novelizations > the movies. So Fett escaping is canon unless Lucas contradicts that in a new Star Wars movie...

I didn't mean that EU overruled the movie, silly :D

Half-assed fanfic writers? Where? :confused:
 Raynaga
05-29-2002, 3:50 AM
ROTFLMAO!!!! That conversation would be a beauty to see...:D

But no, Sith crystals are synthetic...artificially produced.

I've never seen that loony green = master, blue = apprentice idea in the EU...so what are you talking about? Do you just have unresolved personal problems? :D

This plays need a rolleyes smily. If you actually READ what I type, you will see that I said

A) I was surprised no one had mentioned the tale involving the Master/Trainer color relationship

to which you replied seeing it was untrue, after whcih I posted that

B) it being untrue hasn't stopped people from repeatedly posting that idiocy regarding Fett's escape in RotJ.

You then read these responses and somehow draw that I am saying both events are true and that the EU is canon, when in fact I merely stated I was suprised to see that no one had mentioned the master/trainer theory with no statements of any kind regarding the validity of the aforementioned theory. Are you sure it is me that is having the problem here?

--R--
 C'jais
05-29-2002, 12:36 PM

I didn't mean that EU overruled the movie, silly :D

Half-assed fanfic writers? Where? :confused:

Oh, I'm sorry...

I just thought that the ">" meant that the EU books had predominance (>, as in greater) over the movies, and that "fett escaping is canon" comment was referring to boba in ROTJ (with saarlac)... My bad...

Regarding the fanfic, i'd still say that i haven't seen (YET) some starwars fanfic which weren't too dark, too silly or too far out to be starwars... and fanfic still needs the music :p
 Keiran Halcyon
05-29-2002, 12:48 PM

Oh redwing! You have a lot of wisdom and lore...

But at least you could be a little bit more humble ;) :D
 DarthHitts
05-29-2002, 12:53 PM
:maul:
ok... maybe I am wrong..but in the game star wars battlegrounds clone expansion (sweet game by the who) they have a really little backstory and it goes to explain that darth maul modified a double-bladed training saber to the now infamous lightsaber he uses now (uhh..or before he gets smoked).....:sithm:.....now I'm not to clear on which backstories everyone is following but I thought I'd throw that out there...:D
 MotionMan
05-31-2002, 7:12 PM
Mace windu uses some jedi and sith crystals mixed togehter for his light saber.

Blue&Red=Purple:cool:
 Jawno Slan
05-31-2002, 9:00 PM
During an interview, Samuel said that he used a purple lightsaber to stand out from all the other jedi that flooded the Genosian Coliseum. *Gets slapped upside the head *....uhh..yeah it was different crystals. :) :confused:
 RichDiesal
05-31-2002, 9:05 PM
I don't see why people can't just accept the fact that people like different colors... not everything has to be a symbol, guys. :D

Light Jedi typically like blue and green because the color is more smooth and pure.

Dark Jedi typically like red because they are generall hateful, deceitful... and accordingly, typically like the color red. :p

And Mace just wanted to be different! Fits in that way in terms of the movie and the actor too. :p
 MotionMan
05-31-2002, 9:48 PM
*SIGH*:rolleyes:
I knew that.
It was a joke.
 cc Bakura
07-11-2010, 1:38 AM
the reason you dont see alot of lightsaber colers besides blue green and yellow is because the sith caved in their main supply of crystals.There used to be pink,white, etc.
 ◄|Darth Tyranus|►
12-19-2010, 7:55 AM
This is cannon ↓

Blue = jedi's mastered in saber combat.
Green = jedi's mastered in the force
Yellow = one of the colours of the high ranked council (ploo koon)
purple = another high ranking colour in the council (mace)
red = sith's colour
 Alexrd
12-19-2010, 9:12 AM
This is cannon ↓

No, this is cannon:

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQJggxF3dI5Vyt-M8GvvAimV88nQ2xGWOkGqkVCoXOPOvf0Cb0y0w)

But even if you meant canon, you're wrong about yellow and purple.
 noizer
12-31-2010, 10:38 AM
the reason you dont see alot of lightsaber colers besides blue green and yellow is because the sith caved in their main supply of crystals.There used to be pink,white, etc.

you have a source? just curious
 MachineCult
04-17-2011, 6:45 AM
In KOTOR it's, blue = Jedi Guardian, green = Jedi Consular, Yellow = Jedi Sentinel.
Page: 1 of 1