Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Bringing balance to the Force... What is that ?

Page: 1 of 1
 Topdan
05-19-2002, 4:02 AM
Is it the fact that the number of Jedis has to be bring to 2... so 2 sith and 2 jedis... Balanced...

And if it is the case, why would the jedi council agreed to train Anakin, knowing that he would kill everybody...

What do they mean by balancing the Force ?

Did we ever had an official answer to that ?
 Zaarin
05-19-2002, 4:59 AM
Anakin does end up bringing balance, because at the end of Ep6 he kills the emporer - the last sith.
 Imran
05-19-2002, 7:28 PM
Originally posted by SpaceMonkey
Anakin does end up bringing balance, because at the end of Ep6 he kills the emporer - the last sith.

Wait wait wait , so how is that BALANCE? It's just the light side dominating the dark! Maybe 'balance' is achieved when both dark and light are in a symboitic relationship.
 JimtheAssassin
05-19-2002, 7:39 PM
Originally posted by Imran

Wait wait wait , so how is that BALANCE? It's just the light side dominating the dark! Maybe 'balance' is achieved when both dark and light are in a symboitic relationship.

Maybe the dark side is unnatural and the light side is the only balanced side?
 pulSed
05-19-2002, 8:24 PM
the balance to the force that they see is that of the unborn.

Luke is actually the chosen one.

Padme actually has a bit of the force, and anakin was completely concieved by mediclorines (sp?). mix them together, and you get Luke(and Leia), the most powerful jedi ever.
 RichDiesal
05-19-2002, 8:58 PM
No... I disagree. Anakin is destined to bring balance to the Force by smiting the Sith... he becomes the first Sith that has ever returned to the Light side...

The Light side, by its very nature, is in perfect harmony with nature itself... the Dark side is a corruption that brings imbalance within the Force itself.

Balance within the Force is not necessarily the balance between good and evil.
 Wossname
05-19-2002, 9:15 PM
That makes sense. The only problem is that the whole balance thing is not mentioned at all in the original trilogy. Maybe if Lucas really is adding new scenes, then that's what they're about.

Otherwise the issue will have to be resolved in Episode 3 for it to be at all satisfactory. (Maybe Yoda will say at the end of Ep 3. "If return to the light side he does, restored the balance will be.")
 DannyJAllTheWay
05-19-2002, 11:54 PM
BUMP!! Where are the Easter eggs??
 Ewok Hunter
05-20-2002, 10:25 PM
he brought balance to the force by killing most of the light jedis.
then the dark side was causing it to be out of balance so he killed palpatine then died himself. therefore both light and dark have a lot of weak jedi- like people (those force witches, the people in I Jedi, ect.) but no one can really train any one else to make it get out of balance again
 te necabo
05-20-2002, 11:32 PM
Lucas himself has stated and made it clear that ANAKIN is the chosen one not Luke. He brings balance to the force by killing the emperor. The darkside is chaos and has no balance. the light side is balance and order/ peace.
and now some random smilies! :amidala: :bdroid2: :bdroid1: :fett: :jawa :evanpiel: :ewok:
 Ferox
05-21-2002, 12:00 AM
hmm, i thought when obi wan was finally explaining about darth vader to luke in the 3rd or 2nd one that he says " i thought he would bring balance to the force.. but he betrayed me".

maybe im wrong :).

balance is both sides being equal, one does not rule over the other , its the ying and the yang, budhist philosophy. just like the one power in wheel of time as well.
 RichDiesal
05-21-2002, 3:33 AM
Let's have an analogy...

Say you have a mass balance... the kind you used in high school science labs to weigh things. On one side you place your weights, on the other, whatever you're measuring.

On one side of the balance, place Nature. On the other side, place the Force.

By themselves, there is perfect harmony. The Force is in perfect equilibrium with the order or nature.

Now, take a gigantic black rock and plop it down with the Force. That is the corruption of the Force which throws the whole system off. The Force has taken the entire balance of nature and thrown it off kilter.

Thus, the Dark Side, the corruption, must be purged in order to restore balance.

By Anakin destroying the Emporer and turning to the Light himself, he destroys the last true remaining corruption of the Force (the Sith) and restores balance. This is how Anakin fulfills the prophecies, it's just not in the way that the Jedi Council (and Obi-Wan, etc) envisioned it would. (i.e. the prophecies were fulfilled, but not how the Council thought it would happen).

Clear to everyone? :D
 sid
05-21-2002, 4:54 AM
Clear as mud, but who prophecised the prophecies?

:p
 Darth Matrix
05-21-2002, 5:57 AM
Jesus did! It was Jesus, I tell you!
 Socabapu
05-21-2002, 6:05 AM
I don't know about all of that, but I do know that by letting himself be killed in e4, Obi-Wan not only relives the killing of his own master, but he opens the way for luke to be one of two living jedi. After he is trained, and there are two again, Yoda dies, saying "pass on what you've learned." and tells him about leia. So until the sith are destroyed, the theme of two jedi and two sith are kind of carried on, at least in the minds of Ben and Yoda. Of course, that's leaving out the ten million other things I'm not considering in this brief thesis, that probably blow me out of the water. :D
 RichDiesal
05-21-2002, 6:47 AM
Oh yes, namely that there are entire planets of Force-wielders on forgotten systems in the Outer Rim that use the Force for nothing but healing and their own survival. :p

Technically, there could be a limitless number of them... I mean, it is an entire GALAXY you know. :D

And prophecies need no prophesizor. Remember this is an epic tale! In epics, the prophesies just ARE. They come from infinity and are what they are. :D

And anyway, maybe the midichlorians wrote them! :p
 sunspun
05-21-2002, 9:04 AM
the only post that hinted at this is the one that said the anakin is the only one to return to the light after being sith lord.
anakin was able to come back from pain, anger, hate and murder.
If you fall the darkside controlls you and you cant free yourself,only anakin was able to do it.
Now his children can love and hate at the same time and not fall to the inbalance of the force.
All the jedies are so concerned about attachments and love and fear because they have the potential to inslave them to the darkside. But not anymore. Luke and Lea are able to have children and feelings without falling to the darkside by default.
So the force is balanced now. even if you hate you still can be of serveice to the good cause.
But i wish my conclusions could be confirmed by a book
 Bluezman
05-21-2002, 9:14 AM
By the way:
What did Obi Wan mean in Episode 6 when he said to Darth Vader: "You can't win. If you kill me, I will be more powerful than you can imagine!"

As pointed out, he lets Vader kill himself with a smile on his face, disappearing immediately.

How does that make him more powerful than Vader can imagine (cuz I think he can imagine just a hole lot of power :cool: )

Did he just let Vader kill himself so that he does not keep Vader from bringing balance to the force, since he already knows that Vader must kill the Emperor (well, DOES he know?!). That still wouldn't explain why he gets more powerful then...

Comments?
 Skarfays
05-21-2002, 9:51 AM
What seems to be missing is that there WAS peace and harmony before star wars but the force was not balanced because according to the prophecy it still needed balancing. Keep in mind that they thought that the sith were destroyed a long time ago. So what is balanced force really?
 Cracken
05-21-2002, 10:09 AM
Hmmmm...I think Anakin could be a false messiah, so to speak. Sure, he's the most powerful Jedi of his time, but then Luke comes along and is able to defeat him. Luke, who has only been trained by a near-death Yoda and old Ben Kenobi, as opposed to Anakin, who had the best training the Council had to offer. I do think that Luke Skywalker, the "Son of the Suns", as one of the early drafts called him, is the Chosen One.
 Caliban
05-22-2002, 8:49 AM
Perhaps balance refers to the differences in the force. In the prequels we see the difference between the living force and the expansive force. More and more Jedi were turning to the expansive force becoming more contemplative. Anakin with his brash nature would be relying more on the living force, bringing balance
Page: 1 of 1