Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

func_train ; smart_train

Page: 1 of 1
 DarthCobra
05-12-2002, 4:46 AM
Has anyone got this to work. For useing a bird , starship or something to fly around the map? Ive seen a few threads on it. And followed what instructions I found there. Still with no luck. On another note.. For falling deaths. Ive seen reference to a falling checkbox in JKRad but Ive never seen that option. When my char falls off he/she dies and it does do a little screaming thing. But i dont think its useing the falling animation. Any help appreciated.. TIA
 Manquesa
05-12-2002, 11:50 AM
I just answered the func_train question in another thread, I don't want to retype all that so -- http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53025).

That falling death thing is in the entity meny for trigger_hurt. I don't think it's really an animation, just the scream. If I remember right, when you fall to your death in the game you don't really see yourself anyway, it too dark, so there'd be no point in making an animation for it.
 RichDiesal
05-12-2002, 11:36 PM
You can in fact see yourself falling... just set a low ground (far below) and make a trigger_hurt brush with the values "LOCKCAM" and "FALLING" checked...

You can also add a "count" value with a number to specific milliseconds until fadeout... for example, if you want to see yourself fall for 2 seconds until it fades to black, enter key count with a value of 2000.

As of yet, I've found no way to muffle the sound of the player smacking the bottom of the pit... anyone know how to do that? I know it's possible as the bespin_undercity level doesn't smush when he hits the bottom. :D
 ArcticCamel
05-13-2002, 1:52 AM
I'd just put a brush with the "Cushion" shader (in the system set) above the ground that you don't want to hear the thud of your corpse hitting.
 DarthCobra
05-13-2002, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by RichDiesal
You can in fact see yourself falling... just set a low ground (far below) and make a trigger_hurt brush with the values "LOCKCAM" and "FALLING" checked...

You can also add a "count" value with a number to specific milliseconds until fadeout... for example, if you want to see yourself fall for 2 seconds until it fades to black, enter key count with a value of 2000.

As of yet, I've found no way to muffle the sound of the player smacking the bottom of the pit... anyone know how to do that? I know it's possible as the bespin_undercity level doesn't smush when he hits the bottom. :D

Im not seeing no falling or lockcam option in GKRAD or jkrad :(
 RichDiesal
05-13-2002, 12:47 PM
Er, no? If you add a trigger_hurt entity, highlight it and press n, you don't get something like this?

http://web.utk.edu/~rlanders/triggerhurtexample.jpg)
 Tigris
05-13-2002, 3:15 PM
I think it's SP only.
 DarthCobra
05-13-2002, 3:25 PM
Well I dont know what version of Radient your using. But this is what i get.

Well I cant seem to get this pic on a web somewhere.. But i assure you those options are not in my jkrad or gkrad

so if theres some kinda setup or something to get them options .... i spose that would help.
 DarthCobra
05-14-2002, 6:42 PM
So im gonna have to bump this so we can all talk about it more. I did get the func_train working. Though it seems u must use brushes and wont work with models. Does anyone know anything about this smart_train? Im just dyin to get some flyin ships birds or anything like that as an effect in maps. And being that in the ns_streets map theres that ship that goes accross and knocks of off. Im sure it can be done.
 Drakewl
05-14-2002, 8:22 PM
what i know is that you can use a custom "no-brush-model" in a func train

if i open the entity console and look at the keys of func_train it says:

"model2" .md3 model to also draw

i guess you make a common brush to a func_train (im not sure but a brush with the origin texture of the system-texture folder should be sufficient) and customize the model2-key to your needs to draw a md3-model finally.

but at some point i have the feeling that raven worked with scripts on those flying ships like Nar Shaddaa because i see some scripts named "pod_car1.ibi" in the scritpsfolder for ns streets
 DarthCobra
05-14-2002, 8:49 PM
Ive tried that model2 and the model has never shown

I had a brush nodraw and an origin brush in the middle then the model2 an i could see no model in game.
 Drakewl
05-15-2002, 2:04 AM
i've tried it and it works fine

make a brush, and apply the origin-texture to it

make another brush and give it a normal texture like a wall-texture, take care that this brush isnt much bigger than 32 units on all axes

select both brushes, right click in one of the axis windows and select func_train

make the usual path corners, target them and target the func_train on the first path corner

go into the entity menu of the func_train and enter the key "model2" and the value (this example works) of "models/map_objects/kejim/generator.md3"

save and compile

then try it, it shoud definitely work

if you will, look into the pk3-files of Jk3 and locate some md3-models in the model-folder, which you can use to test this feature

hope i could help you
 DarthCobra
05-15-2002, 3:54 PM
Well ive tried this so many times im dizzy. So ive added model2 and model models to the 2 bruhes (origin and glass, wall, no draw, blah blah blah) an connected the corners. Ive been tryin all the ship models. I have no problem with the brushes but the model never ever ever shows.
 Drakewl
05-15-2002, 3:58 PM
well,

i could send you my map with my successful attempt to get it working if you give me your emailaddy

if my map doesnt work on your system, we should have better clues
 DarthCobra
05-15-2002, 6:23 PM
I sent you my email addy in a pmsg. I look forward to playin with a working example.
 Drakewl
05-15-2002, 8:11 PM
have sent you the map via mail

happy testing :)
 akurtz
05-15-2002, 8:22 PM
DarthCobra -- to get the falling death animation in MP, I use a trigger_hurt entity w/ the following:

Key: damage
Value: -1 (that's a negative one)

It gives the same effect as the "FALLING" checkbox in SP.

Enjoy :D
 DarthCobra
05-18-2002, 3:28 PM
Ok if i didnt mention it before im talkin about multiplayer maps only.
Page: 1 of 1