Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

New Admin, little help please?

Page: 1 of 1
 mag187
05-10-2002, 9:38 PM
Alright guys, after countless very frustrating hours, I just managed to set up a sweet 6 player NF duel server. I reffered back to these forums countless times, I can't thank you guys enough.

Now, I have encountered two problems:

1) I'd like to manage Server Stats. Maybe keep an updated webpage? I played around with all of the variables (logfile, g_log, g_statlog, g_statlogfile...) with no success. Has anyone actually managed to get this working properly? And, is the log format the same as Q3A? That would permit me to use Q3A log file utilities.

2) Would someone be as kind as to enlighten me (or reffer me to somplace) about how .cfg files actually work. Like, how the actual Q3 engine interacts/translates them? I mean, not in full detail, but as far as I can tell, there something I am missing here. I am using the "GameHost" server management utility and it seems as though this thing is creating multiple instances of server config files. In other words, I set a cvar in GameHost, I am asuming this is changed in some config... but the guy who is helping me with the server is telling me to simply create my "custom config" and exec it in the parameters.

What I really need to know is if I can just cut out the middle-man and deal straight with the file GameHost deals with. Can I edit this one myself?

Thanks in advanced everyone.
 geronimo27
05-10-2002, 10:08 PM
Logging works fine. I am at work, so I am unsure which command I use in my server config file. Also, there is a wonderful stats package advertised in this forum. You can either set up a batch file or a cron job to automate the processing of the stats script.

Some config files are executed before every map, and some are executed only at server start up. I'm not sure why you are using Gamehost as running a server without it is pretty simple. If running a win32 server, create a shortcut to the .exe and add parameters in the command line similar to this:
"C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData\jk2mp.exe" +set dedicated 2 +exec dedicated.cfg+set

If you run a linux server then everything you need to know is right here:
http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35434)
 KnightHawk420
05-10-2002, 10:12 PM
Okay your first questions. Log files and stats.

"set logfile 1"
"set g_log "jk2ffa.log"

that's what I use to get a logfile. For the most part it's similar to Q3 but the convenitons used and maybe even some more won't probably translate into your exisitng stats package. Maybe but I don't know. I run stats for other game servers but not for my jk2 servers yet. But I'd imagine you'd have to find a specific package for it. So it could properly track and name weapons and what not. Otherwise it would be q3ish and be half ass.

Editing your own config files is something any "good" admin show do. Good admins don't use config utils or the like, and prefer to hand edit. You can name the config anything you like I'm not even suer it has to be a .cfg per se. But the file whatever it is must go into your base directory. you should also have a jkmpconfig.cfg in the same directory. As far as making this file, I suggest you check the above posts for the HOWTO's. I used them myself the yare very informative. There are tons of options to set, but those help files up above in this forum we'll get you up and running with basics.

Then when you run your server from the command line it goes like this

jk2svrexe +set dedicated 2 +exec jk2ffa.cfg

and that will execute the config (assuming you named your config file jk2ffa.cfg). If your using windows make a shortcut with a similar commandline. Your actual server executable will be different depending on the OS you use.
 mag187
05-12-2002, 12:25 AM
geronimo27:

The actual server is actually several cities away from me, so I admin it remotely. That is why I use GameHost.

Thank you for your helpful advice. I actually managed to get logging working. Now all I need to do is find some software to manage my log files. I think I came across the only JK2 logger, a Perl script file. All I need to do now is figuere out how in the hell to get this Perl emulator working. Oh well, in time... :rolleyes: .
Page: 1 of 1