Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

unpure pk3?

Page: 1 of 1
 Xenoeye
05-08-2002, 7:52 PM
People are having trouble connecting to our clanserver and the error it gives is unpure pk3 but this isn't happening to everyone.:confused:

Anyone know the cause and more importantly a fix?

thx
-----------
Xenoeye
 MatrixCPA
05-08-2002, 8:24 PM
I've seen this too and it's hard to pin down because it's not very consistent. One thing that can be tried is to have the people getting dropped for unpure pk3's remove everything but the assetsx.pk3 files from their base dir and see if that stops it. Perhaps the new build is having fits about those files (even though it shouldn't). It's worth a shot. The trick is to find someone who is having the problem consistently.

Another thought I had was to check if the 1.03 client side patch was changing assets0.pk3 or assets1.pk3 at all. If it does--which I can't imagine why, but anyhow--then we'll need to re-upload those files from our updated clients as well. Of course, why wouldn't the problem affect everyone then. I would think my first thought (above) is more likely.
 Sysgod
05-09-2002, 5:05 PM
This problem also happens on my server now after the update. Almost everyone is kicked off saying unpure client. Are all of these people having this problem because they don't have the newest assets file that was updated, when I updated the server? Does it check the date or size of the file when it does this file compare?
 splatter21
05-09-2002, 5:29 PM
check out Post (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=52226) add the file asset2.pk3 to the server and make shure all the clients are updated to 1.03

Pete
 MatrixCPA
05-09-2002, 9:16 PM
I believe it checks the md5sum of the file to verify it is identical. As far as the assets2.pk3 issue, I don't believe that is the cause. I have clients try to connect without it and they attempt to download the file and then get disconnected because I have downloads off. The people getting booted as unpure have updated to 1.03. There's something else at work here.
 Wintrmte
05-11-2002, 2:53 AM
Originally posted by MatrixCPA
I believe it checks the md5sum of the file to verify it is identical. As far as the assets2.pk3 issue, I don't believe that is the cause. I have clients try to connect without it and they attempt to download the file and then get disconnected because I have downloads off. The people getting booted as unpure have updated to 1.03. There's something else at work here.

Agreed. I've checked everything, and almost every client that connects gets the boot due to the invalid .pk3 file error. I've rolled my servers back to 1.02 and all is well again.. Very strange.
 JediGhost[SITH]
05-11-2002, 4:34 AM
This may have already been said:

If your server is Pure and someone connects, using MORE PK3 files than you have (IE: Using a skin you don't have, or any mods) they will get the error.

There's nothing you can do about it, except make your server "sv_pure 0" which then results in people using custom skins, mods, etc.. Resulting in the infamous question: "Do you see my skin?" that you must answer every 10 seconds because they are looking for a skin that you will see.

These days many servers are pure and unpure because of all the custom skins. Obviously if they were playing on an unpure server with a custom skin, they would get the error on yours.

You CAN, however, find out what skin(s) they use, and put them in your gamedata\base folder. Make sure your server is pure, and clients will be able to use any skin you have in the folder.

ALSO NOTE:
I've had the problem too, some have it, some don't. It probably has to do with the 1.03 patch.
 Mr_Sharky
05-11-2002, 5:32 AM
Actually they can have all the mod/skins etc they want and it won't or shouldn't cause an error because the server just ignores extra pk3's that it doesn't have.

Like I've said before, I had a similar problem but after I replaced the assets0.pk3 and assets1.pk3 with the ones from the CD it started working and people can now connect.
 JediGhost[SITH]
05-11-2002, 1:43 PM
Sure, they can have the skins in their folder, but if they join your server USING that skin you don't have, they get unpure PK3. That goes for all mods, too.
Page: 1 of 1