Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Dedicated Server questions?

Page: 1 of 1
 ChangKhan[RAVEN]
05-08-2002, 5:18 PM
Hey all, I realized I haven't spent much time in here at all, so if you have any questions for me (related to running dedicated servers), I'm all ears. I'd prefer you to e-mail me directly if you can (rather than post here or send PM's...) as it's a lot easier for me to get and reply to e-mails than check the messageboards all the time. If you think my response is worth posting publically to help others, feel free.

mgummelt@ravensoft.com
 CRCError
05-12-2002, 5:43 AM
Maybe a good place to start would be to answer/finish the FAQ Wilhuf started a LONG time ago.

You'll notice it's a sticky post as well...

I wonder if this guy realizes how much repeat e-mail he is gonna get on this one - as far as not posting answers here in the "offical" forum... That's just plain nuts.

I'm counting the minutes before my post getted erased too...

CRCError
 GoofsPij
05-13-2002, 3:49 PM
How do I use RCON?

I don't have a .cfg file as I just run a dedicated server whenever it's convenient. (like when I want to play on it, or my friends do)
Also, no need to go strictly command line in a Windows (GUI)environment...ya know?

Can I just put the RCON password as a single line in it's own .cfg and it will be read into the rest of my server settings when it's run?

I'm using Windows XP Pro.

P.S. This is mostly so I can kick clients with 999 pings and clients with attitude problems without having to leave the game.

Thanks...
 Cedrin
05-14-2002, 10:26 PM
This is all you need for RCON:

http://www.gameadmins.com/guides/q3/rcon_depth.htm)
 GoofsPij
05-15-2002, 12:23 AM
Thanks!
 Gustaf777
05-18-2002, 8:04 PM
Hello!
I need some help.
I have download the jk2win32ded.... file for win32. I dont know why i download the ****... eheh.
I always do a dedicated server but when i download the files and put it in to the right place. I couldnґt find my server on internet. BUT! I find it on Local! After my servers name its written [UPD] Whats that???????????
Please help me! I must create a ded server! so people can go in!!!! Very soon!

This forum never answer my questions!!! GRRRRRR! :mad:
THE FORUM IS LIKE A DEAD GRAVEYARD!

bluearmyclan@hotmail.com
 NITEMARE
05-24-2002, 7:29 AM
well, for a starter, chang, if i may call you that,
i'd like to know how to minimize the damage you guys at raven do with every patch released. after surviving the first one, i want to be prepared for the future armageddons to come. so i've heard of counter features which could turn some of the worst mistakes to a minimum of frustration.
e.g. it would be swell if we could adjust the saber damage, but not implemented i suppose. still there are some mysterious cvars lurking around in every little config wating to be revealed as a dumb useles feature or the saviour for generations to cum.
here are 2 of which i think about the most, they dont seem to change much, thats why i couldn't figgure them out:

seta g_saberTraceSaberFirst "0"
seta g_saberDmgDelay_Wound "0"

at least tell us if there is some way of making normal saber strikes more dangerous or we will be doomed to do those specials and backspins. remember, the average player wants to do high damage, and that quick...
 MatrixCPA
05-24-2002, 3:10 PM
Nitemare, the closest thing we have to answer your questions are here (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56423).
 NITEMARE
05-25-2002, 9:35 PM
heh ok,
i hoped this raven guy could do it quick...
so there is no mysterious save us all setting.
 MatrixCPA
05-26-2002, 5:43 AM
If you notice in his post, he says that he prefers emails and probably isn't checking this board on any regular basis.
 BeLzEbUb
05-26-2002, 6:58 AM
Hi all,
can someone tell me which ports a jk2 (dedicated) server uses. So I can unblock them in my Firewall!!!
 Reevey
05-26-2002, 12:55 PM
can anybody tell me what spec server jk2 needs?

Thanks
 MatrixCPA
05-26-2002, 5:33 PM
It's easier to answer questions--and easier for others with the same problem to find the info (because the search function is disabled)--if you post them in their own thread. For the moment, I'll just answer them here.

can someone tell me which ports a jk2 (dedicated) server uses.
According to Raven, you need to open the port the server is set to use (28070 by default) and ports 28060-28062 (inclusive). Now, I'll let you know that many admin have had a lot of trouble getting their server listed in the in-game browser when behind a firewall even with the ports open. Some people say that using a port other than the default helps I don't think a perfectly consistent solution has been found yet. Good luck. ;)

can anybody tell me what spec server jk2 needs?
I'm not sure if there's "official" specs, but I'd say that you'd probably want at least a 400mhz P2 with 128mb of RAM. I'm sure that there's admins using less, but that's the minimum I'd think to use. Now, the minimum spec won't support as many players as a better system--but that's how it goes.
 jzfever
06-02-2002, 1:39 AM
im using a network in my house, all comps on the same dsl modem, therefore the same external IP address. Is it possible for me to run dedicated on one computer and play on it on another?

:atat:
 MatrixCPA
06-02-2002, 4:00 AM
Yes.
 Sparks
06-02-2002, 8:41 PM
Gustaf777 i have the same problem. :mad:
 jzfever
06-03-2002, 10:15 AM
Ok, at my house i am running a netwrok on a single modem. The whole network is firewalled. My goal is to run my dedicated server on one machine, play on another- while still letting other people on the internet join. My first (and current) idea is to have myself join via internal IP and everyone else join as external IP. The problem arises after this. I have opened the ports raven says to open which is like 27000-29000 to UDP and TCP. And I set all incoming transmissions from those ports to go directly to my server. So i start my server up. I can join through my internal IP, but my friend could not join through the external IP. What do I need to do to get this working?
 MatrixCPA
06-03-2002, 3:30 PM
jzfever - See my reply in the separate thread you started.

Sparks - The game will always show up as local to you when you are on the same network. That doesn't mean people outside can't see it. Have someone try to connect by ip if they can't find it in the server list. At least then you'll know if they can get through at all. Troubleshoot from there.
 x0rsyst
06-07-2002, 4:57 PM
i have a similar problem. i use a computer just as a gateway (with the dsl modem) and all the rest of the computers go through that one for the net. now i can join my server locally from any computer in house, and people can join my server from the ingame browser. im using internet connection sharing to share the connection. what i found out was internet connection sharing was mapping ports by itself. even tho my server runs on 28070 (default), sometimes people would have to connect with IP:1085 or some other random port (only determined by downloading a master server list).
 anshao
06-17-2002, 5:59 PM
Hi!
I've trie dto run a dedicated server and then join it form the some pc, but I can't find it (neither in local).
Any suggestion?
Thanks
 MatrixCPA
06-18-2002, 12:08 AM
Are you sure the server is running properly? Try performing a status command in the server console and see what it says. If it says, "server not running" then you probably didn't correctly call a map in your config. If the server is running and shows the current map and players (probably none), then try connecting by ip address.
 Reefn Koff
06-18-2002, 7:04 PM
I want to make an unpure server for skin purpouses so would the comand be set sv_pure 0 ?
 MatrixCPA
06-18-2002, 11:39 PM
Yes, that would be the config setting that would make your server unpure. Of course, then you open the door for people to cheat by using modified pk3 files as well. Why not just install the custom skins on the server and keep it pure? Take into consideration that while an unpure server will allow players to use any custom skin they want, only other players with that same skin see it--all those who don't will just see that player a default skin.
 skeep
06-27-2002, 11:45 AM
Matrix you were a big help to me in the Linux dedicated server arena but i have gone back to win2k for other reasons...

heres my ?
I have copied all jk2 files from my install over to the server and downloaded the win - jk2ded server. now then when i start up with no options it works almost.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData>"C:\Program Fil
es\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData\jk2Ded.exe"
JK2MP: v1.02c win-x86 Apr 15 2002
Initialising zone memory .....
----- FS_Startup -----
Current search path:
C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData\base\assets2.pk
3 (289 files)
C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData\base\assets1.pk
3 (8011 files)
C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData\base\assets0.pk
3 (6674 files)
C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData/base

----------------------
14974 files in pk3 files
execing mpdefault.cfg
couldn't exec jk2mpconfig.cfg
couldn't exec autoexec.cfg
Hunk_Clear: reset the hunk ok
...detecting CPU, found
Intel Pentium III
--- Common Initialization Complete ---
Winsock Initialized
Opening IP socket: localhost:28070
Hostname: ut2
IP: **.**.**.***
Working directory: C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameD
ata
Hitch warning: 18362992 msec frame time
moving on when i add the exec server.cfg i get a program error and it kills the process. I even went down to the striped down server.cfg and still get the error. i have all my pk files???

do i need to put the cd in?
did i miss copying over some files?

thanks
-skeep
 DethBounty
07-01-2002, 7:11 AM
skeep, I have the same problem. Fresh install of Win2000 and Jedi. No luck with ANY config file!

Any ideas????
 Darth Jello
07-02-2002, 11:02 PM
whats the ghoul2 and trace saber cmd?

how do you put it on the server?
 MatrixCPA
07-03-2002, 12:53 AM
Well, that's one reason I don't do windows. Anyway, I'd be curious to see if using a prior version of the ded server binary would make a difference. I've actually run into a couple of people with the w2k problem just as you describe it. I'm sure the solution is probably simple...but, as I said, I don't do windows. ;) Is there an option to run the app as a service? I think I heard that somewhere before.
 CDRW
07-04-2002, 4:17 PM
I had the same problem with this on a Windows system.....

I found out in the end that it was the file that I downloaded from here !! It's corrupted !

I got the file from another website in the end and now it works.

Go to http://www2.ravensoft.com/jedioutcast/) and get the dedicated files that work !!

greydog
08-16-2002, 10:18 PM
how do i fix a segmentation fault error, i have updated all the *.pk3 and everything, anyone know? thx
 JStikair
11-23-2002, 1:34 PM
I really want to know how to disable the lightsaber and focus on guns on my server. Anyone know how?
 Toshiya[RAVEN]
11-25-2002, 1:37 PM
If I recall correctly the server command is "forcetoggle". You can type it in the server console and it will output some text which will tell you how to properly use it. I think you should be able to use it to specifically disable or limit the saber force powers on your server.
 FF_ChRoNiC
12-17-2002, 6:43 PM
is there a command to allow more k/b to be transferred during auto dload? our ded server only lets u dload at 2 kb per sec when i know it can take way more than that
 ZBomber
01-27-2003, 5:19 PM
I use JedRunner for my server. Its coems out fine. Then, once I get in game, I go to join game. Then Local, and go into my server. I can get into it, and it works. But when other try to go, they get the Awaiting Connection message. Any ideas?
 Sephiroth CR
02-06-2003, 3:19 PM
My friend has the same problem Z-bomber. He cant find my server in the browser lists, so I gave him my I.P. He then added that to his favorites. However, what appears in it's place isn't my server. It just says my I.P. address for the name and it doesn't say anything for the ping, map, players, server info, ect. Then if he trys to connect he gets stuck on awaiting connection forever. I really want my friend to be able to connect to my server. Also, when I go to join the server it is listed under local, when I dedicate it to the internet. I'm not usin Jedi Runer, or any other program like that. I just make the server normally. How can I fix this all so my friend can join my server?:(
 Robob
02-06-2003, 10:48 PM
ok i have a serverbeach server, its the same as a rackspace but cheaper, anyway, its not like a game server, so i have to upload all the files i need, now i uploaded the dedicated server program, and i extracted the maps from the pk3 files, and uploaded em, i also uploaded the mpdefault.cfg, now it says 0pk3 files found when i start it, im also using jedi runner, now can you tell me if there is a easier way to do this, i dont want or cant upload a 500mb pk3 file from the game. when i try to start the server the .cfg files load, this is what it says:

C:\JediOutcastDedServer>"jk2Ded.exe" +set com_zoneMegs 16 +set com_hunkMegs 32 +
set com_soundmegs 16 +set vm_game 0 +set dedicated 2 +set net_port 28070 +set ne
t_ip 66.139.78.46 +exec Robob's_[NXTC]_JK2_Ded_Server.cfg
JK2MP: v1.04 win-x86 Jul 3 2002
Initialising zone memory .....
----- FS_Startup -----
Current search path:
C:\JediOutcastDedServer/base

----------------------
0 files in pk3 files
Running in restricted demo mode.
----- FS_Startup -----
Current search path:
C:\JediOutcastDedServer/demo

----------------------
0 files in pk3 files
execing mpdefault.cfg
execing jk2mpserver.cfg
execing jediMaps.cfg
Hunk_Clear: reset the hunk ok
Could not open string package 'CON_TEXT'

pls tell me what is goin on or just help, EEK, lol ty!
 Sephiroth CR
02-08-2003, 10:34 AM
Cant someone help me? Anyone know how to help?
 JA|Blade
02-22-2003, 3:24 PM
the subject says it all...
 Gustaf777
02-22-2003, 5:53 PM
I am the founder of this post:p
 Benedidldickt
03-17-2003, 2:40 PM
My Problem is I'm a client in a network at our Server (linux) is a dedicated Server runnning. IN Network all work fine but if someone who is extern (DSL) can't connect....
Hmm i think i must give the Server 2 IP's . How can i make that?

sorry for my bad english :)
 1nfin1ty
03-19-2003, 5:47 PM
How do i get my ded server on the master list? I've connected on my server, but other people can't becuase it ain't on their list
 EvilCrow
06-15-2003, 4:22 PM
How can I get two bots on my server, but when two human players connect, the bots disconnect, and when the human players leave, the bots come back. I've seen this on a few duel servers, and I want it on my duel server. :)
Page: 1 of 1