Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Dual Cpu???

Page: 2 of 4
 Atomicone
04-03-2002, 4:15 PM
what ever the problem is, they should get it sorted, I am not changing my superior hardware just for them!

(a bumb in disguise)
 raiden
04-03-2002, 5:00 PM
well everyone with an smp system should be able to fix this problem by changing the smp kernel to a uni processor kernel ... it helped me ... until the patch is out ...
 ttungul
04-03-2002, 5:57 PM
Had to register and lost all the info I was looking into . But I copied and pasted the post that fits me the best:

erm, for your information dudes, I get the EXACT same error, the weird thing is, I do not have dual CPU!

Athlon 1600XP
256 MEG DDR
Geforce GTS 2
k7t266 Pro 2 MSI Motherboard
Windows XP

And I get the exact same error as that windows XP screenshot above

-----------------
I have 512 ddr ram myself, same mb, asus v7700 64mb gts pro. I have also examined the problem in several different ways, and i believe the person who disected the issues of subdivision, as the error details point to this conclusion.

Hope somoene posts the fix for this whoever get's it first. I played the SP game till I was done, no food, no sleep, total addiction, now it's time to conquer multiplayer hehe =)
 ttungul
04-03-2002, 10:32 PM
Athlon 1600XP
512 MEG DDR
Geforce GTS/Pro 2 64mb
k7t266 Pro 2 MSI Motherboard
Windows XP

And I get the exact same error as that windows XP screenshot above.
 blueicee
04-04-2002, 1:34 AM
i'm having the same problem too.

here is my setup:

Dual P4 Xeon 1.8 ghz procs
1 gig pc800 RDRAM
SuperMicro P4DCE+ mb with intel 860 chipset
Adaptec IDE RAID 2x80 gig hd's
Visiontek ti4600 geforce4

locks up when trying to run multiplayer at the detecting processors...

the patch seems to work fine, i wonder when lucas arts will release an official patch?

ciao.
 pyroclasmx
04-04-2002, 3:43 AM
I posted this on another thread but figured i should put it here as well, as this was where i originally saw the problem I was having too ;)

Temporary Solution for MultiProcessor Users
Here is a temporary fix for anyone using dual processor systems which crash when loading the multiplayer game

Steps for Win2k / WinXP

1) Right Click on My Computer , click on Manage
2) Click on Device Manager in left side window
3) On right side click on plus sign next to Computer
4) You should see ACPI Multiprocessor System ( OR something similiar)
5) Double click on the ACPI Multiprocessor
6) Click on the Driver Tab and click on Update Driver
7) Click Next -> Click on dot next to "display a list of known drivers" -> Click Next Again -> Click on dot next to "show all hardware of this device class" -> Select ACPI Uniprocessor PC and click Next.
8) Before rebooting right click on my comupter again, click on Properties.
9) Click on the Advanced Tab, then click on the Enviormental Variables button.
10) in the bottom box locate NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS, Double click on it and change Value to 1.

After doing this fix Jedi Knight 2 Multiplayer will run properly.

-(PK)- Chrono
pyroclasmx@pyroclasmx.com

PS - If this fix works for you drop me a hollar and a yay =D
 JonRicoPa
04-04-2002, 6:49 AM
Emm, thats a nice idea and I appreciate the suggestion, but it does sorta defeat the purpose of having a dual CPU system. I only play Jedi Knight a little (maybe 10% of the time I am on the PC at the moment, and its that high because its a new game) and the rest of the time I want my two CPUs for the development and graphics work I do.

On top of that in Win2K changing the kernel in the fashion you describe produced many instabilities and problems that were sorta difficult to overcome without the dreaded format. Dont know what the XP situation is, but I am reluctant to try - I only got the dual CPU system a couple of months ago and dont fancy causing problems for a system that has been rock solid stable until now.

What dissapoints me is that no one from Raven has been into this thread and posted something to say that they are working on the problem. Then I would know that the situation is in hand at least.

Just my two cents..... (and a long bump :) )
 raiden
04-04-2002, 7:23 AM
@JonRicoPa

emorog (also known as James Monroe) is from raven and they are working on the problem ... so a patch should be out soon.
 mickrose
04-04-2002, 7:39 AM
Hello

how did you activate r_smp 1 in the game?

I have notice that there is no r_smp in the cfg file.
Then I tried during game but it tells me: "r_smp is read only".

Then I added +set r_smp 1 to the shortcut but nothing happenend???
How did you do it?

Thanks
 Atomicone
04-04-2002, 7:44 AM
Good to hear it, do you know a specific place where we can keep watching for the patch? What URL? The official Jedi Knight II site is never updated.

Oh, I was looking for this topic on activision, it seems they do not have Jedi Knight II listed in their games, but just goto support, select the PC platform, then leave the games field as it is and search "jedi" and all the topics should come up, This one unfortunatly does not.

But if you are having any other problems, I suggest you consult that first. :)
 raiden
04-04-2002, 8:02 AM
well you could try to add "seta r_smp 1" in the jk2mpconfig.cfg ... but since this is no official feature i wouldnt be surprised if doesnt work.
 JonRicoPa
04-04-2002, 9:06 AM
@raiden and @emorog

Ooops sorry I did not realise that.

What I of course meant to say was that it is really good that Raven people are interested in the contents of this thread and solving our problem!

:)
 sponz
04-04-2002, 9:46 AM
Just a morning bump. Can't let this get out of hand by them not doing something about it. We might be in the minority, but our computers define supperiority :D
 piperfect
04-04-2002, 10:39 AM
If they are going to use the Quake 3 engine why wouldn't they use it's best feature? I tried editing the jk2config.cfg by adding seta r_smp "1" it still says that it is set to "0" in the game. I tried changing the the seta r_smp "0" to a "1" on the single player file with the same results. So much for for my Pestonias.
 pyroclasmx
04-04-2002, 11:26 AM
This temp fix shouldn't corrupt your kernel, basically I only suggest using it to play, I love my dual proc system and running at full potential but i am also a gamer who enjoys playing games, you can always create a sepearte hardware profile for this fix. I'm not patient enough to wait for a patch when i'm going to a lan party this weekend to play this game specificially ;)

-(PK)- Chrono
pyroclasmx@pyroclasmx.com
 RageFury
04-04-2002, 3:29 PM
Atomicone, you idiot, it is not AMD-only. Read through the damn posts, somebody had the IDENTICAL message with an Intel-based system. Also, the guy I spoke with at Lucasarts said he has seen this across every configuration you can think of, Intel and AMD. It just seems to happen mostly on AMD's he said, for whatever reason. Also, Raven made the game, they will be releasing the patch, keep an eye on the News on ravensoft.com, they may put an ETA out for a patch, or announce when they have it available, a little before Lucasarts would. Remember people, Lucasarts *PUBLISHED* the game this time, they didn't make it, unlike with previous Dark Forces/Dark Forces 2 games.
 Ambience
04-04-2002, 6:09 PM
Umm can you please explain to me why it is beneficial to call anyone on the forums an idiot?
 ru486
04-04-2002, 10:37 PM
Just wanted to say that I have two dual amd systems one is the 1.2Ghz and the other is the 1.4Ghz, one of them the 1.2 runs the multiplayer fine but the other one my main PC doesn't?

They are both running the same OS (XP) and have basically the same hardware one has geforce 3 and the other geforce 2.

I really hope they come out with something soon before my intrest moves on to other games.....
 sponz
04-05-2002, 12:20 AM
Gotta keep this thread at the top so people don't forget about it. I don't like the fact that im 50 bucks out for a game I can't really use online yet.
 Centrfuge
04-05-2002, 5:42 AM
READ THIS :)

aight guys... im no genious but this is what i did .

if you have 2 cd roms burn the cd and put it in both cd roms. then start the game and go to the "help" thingy on the autoexec menu. then choosethe install direct x. if it asks u for the cd then click it again. you may have to remove the cds and put them back in. keep doing until it says "direct x 8 successfully installed". upon seeing this message immediately start the game. go to multiplayer and SHAZAAAM! u got in now didnt u :)

if this solutions doesnt work for u, then go to start>run and type dxdiag which will bring you to the direct x diagnosis program. make sure all of your direct x utils are working properly. i got this to work on my tyan thunder w/ dual 1.2 mps so i hope it works for yall :)

have fun hacking,
the cent man
 sponz
04-05-2002, 11:23 AM
Morning bump. Won't be able to test the "latest" fix till I get home. 50 bucks I tell ya...........walmart wouldn't let me return it either :evanpiel: and so I punched them in the eye. (just kidding, i didn't really punch them).
 Demons
04-05-2002, 1:31 PM
I just noticed that AMD just released some new chipset drivers for the AGP (V5.33), IDE Busmaster(V1.43s), and Power Management(V1.22s). I know that this is not just an AMD related issue as there are a few people with dual Intel systems that are having the same problem but I thought that perhaps these new drivers (especially the new AGP driver) might make a difference for those of us with a dual AMD board. I'm not at home so I can't try it yet but someone with a dual AMD give it a go and post your results! THANKS! :) You can find the new drivers here...

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_2336,00.html)

Just look for the ones that say they were released in Mar 2002.
 Soldiers Saint
04-05-2002, 3:24 PM
Well would you look at that! i'm not the only one with the problem.. exactly the same prob as everyone else.

Specs:

win2k
asus a7m266-D amd760MPX (dual)
2xAMD athlon MP1600+
512mb DDR ram (registered)

Great job sofar guys! hope you find a way to fix it (both to raven and the fans)

If know this isnt much help just posting my specs, but what else can i do?

---------------------------------
Luke, i am your sisters mothers husband! :rolleyes:
 Centrfuge
04-05-2002, 6:15 PM
look at my post above to use dual processors :) ^^^^^^^
 Stewart
04-05-2002, 6:24 PM
With all the stuff here we should see a fix soon! I've tried it on 3 different computer. My dual 333 Intel and a 1.13 Intel Laptop work perfectly, yet with a ton of "Connection Interrupted" Messages. The problem system is below.

Only way I get it to work is to set it up as a Standard PC in XP.
Btw, the DirectX trick shouldnt work in XP as XP comes with 8.1 and Direct X wont let you install an older version over a newer version.

Dual AMD Athlon 1800+ MP
Tyan Thunder K7 S2426
1024 Meg DDR Memmory
Geforce 2 MX400
Windows XP Pro
 sponz
04-05-2002, 9:42 PM
Trying to run Directx setup on my computer dosen't work. Just locks the thing up for the most part. Causes me to have to reboot.
 KandyFLip
04-05-2002, 9:55 PM
Well... I decided to try pyroclasmx's workaround. I changed W2K to the ACPI Uniprocessor kernel <shiver> and rebooted. I checked the task manager, and sure enough I wa only using 1 processor (ewwww). So, I proceded to run JO. Selected Multiplayer. Watched in amazement as it flew past the CPU check. Screen turned black. Screen turned Blue.

*** STOP: 0x0000000BE (0x80420004,0x00420121,0xB5356824,0x0000008B)
An attempt was made to write to read-only memory.

*** Address 80420004 base at 80400000, Datestamp 3ad7ad60 -ntoskrnl.exe

P.S. I'm not ungrateful or anything pyroclasmx. Thanx for the attempt :)

/me goes back to praying for an official patch.
 ncaa
04-05-2002, 10:04 PM
We both have dual AMD MP 1800+s and we are having the same problem, but it could be our chipsets cause we are running tyan tiger MP s2460 boards. I am just glad to see that we are not the only ones. I hope this problem gets fixed soon, cause Jedi Knight II SP is awesome ;)
 ncaa
04-05-2002, 10:05 PM
We both have dual AMD MP 1800+s and we are having the same problem, but it could be our chipsets cause we are running tyan tiger MP s2460 boards. I am just glad to see that we are not the only ones. I hope this problem gets fixed soon, cause Jedi Knight II SP is awesome ;)

System Specs:
2 AMD Athlon MP 1800+
Tyan Tiger MP
1024 PC2100 DDR RAM
Geforce4 ti 4600
3d Mark 2001: 9750
DVD ROM Drive
CDRW Drive
Firewire DVD-R Drive
20 & 80 GB HD 7200 RPM
Running Windows XP Pro.
 sponz
04-06-2002, 1:20 AM
Im gonna be real mad if I beat the game in signle player and i can't play Multiplayer by that point. REAL mad.
 HC - Exar Kun
04-06-2002, 1:37 AM
Athons and Windows XP dont seem to like running good together

Due to the fact that Microsucks used mostly
Intel processors to Make and Test XP

Multiplayer doesn't run very good (if at all) in JO for some reason

Especially on Athlon MP Dual CPU systems

I think that this is an Athlon XP issue with Windows XP....

After all they did make the Athlon XP
simply because the Athlons didn't work well on Windows XP

This will most likely be updated by AMD in the short future
( they're pretty good about this kinda stuff )

For now if you are running VIA or AMD Chipsets
Try getting the latest AGP and mainboard drivers
From your mainboard manufacturer....

VIA users will need the latest VIA 4 'n' 1 Drivers to play.....
 raiden
04-06-2002, 3:54 AM
@HC - Exar Kun

well it is not a winxp vs athlon xp problem ... since i'm using win2k and get the same problems and we have some intel users also with the same problems.
This is a fine bug of the windows system kernel.
 HC - Exar Kun
04-06-2002, 3:59 AM
Have you had this same problem in other games
such as MOH or Q3 at all ?
 Centrfuge
04-06-2002, 4:45 AM
all u have to do is install direct x fromt the cd... it works i promise.
i play all the time on mp. u just have to make sure that it says "direct x 8 has successfully been updated on your computer" or something like that. works like a charm. if u cannot figure this out look at my above posts. you usually ahve to do it ever so often. it doesnt keep working. just do it if u fail during the stupid exe error junk. if u need a ss i can take one. :)

peace,
cent man
 raiden
04-06-2002, 6:11 AM
@HC - Exar Kun

nope ... i did never had any problems with a game based on the q3 engine ...
 Atomicone
04-06-2002, 7:13 AM
@HC - Exar Kun

Maybe you are right, about the Athlon that is!
But the Athlon XP, you are very wrong!
maybe windows XP is not made for it, but the Athlon XP is made for Windows XP, clever bastards they are AMD :D

(Bumb in disguise)
 HC - Exar Kun
04-06-2002, 7:20 AM
Could be a great deal of things...

But yeah I beleive it may be an issue with AMD somewhere...

From what I read above you guys have tried just about everything I could think of to get it workin....

GOT ME STUMPED.....

:confused:
 sponz
04-06-2002, 12:09 PM
Morning bumpage. Im now on the Docking bay level. Dunno how many more I have to go before someone from Raven/Lucas arts/whoever posts that yes, this IS a problem and they officially acknowledge it as such. Not much to ask for. The thread is burning up in the forum, BOAT loads of views, lots of response. Maybe if we hit the 30k post mark someone will say "hey, I think they have a problem!". Argh. Im frustrated. I WANT to play multiplayer!!!! ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 MadMorg
04-06-2002, 9:12 PM
Exar, it's not an AMD issue, look at the posts on here, there have been a lot of people who have been complaining of this trouble on dualie intel rigs...

And it is not an issue with windows XP, because there are as many people that are having this problem on win2k (such as myself). It's an issue with the detection of the dual processors... (except for those problems with the single athlonXP's, I don't know how to explain that...)

But there have been people that have been running the game with uniprocessor ACPI, so it would seem obvious that it's a dualie issue... something that can be worked around since the single player version works with dualies...

just my $0.02
 VooDooo
04-06-2002, 9:24 PM
Originally posted by HC - Exar Kun
[B]Athons and Windows XP dont seem to like running good together

Due to the fact that Microsucks used mostly
Intel processors to Make and Test XP

Wrong. AMD's were used extensively and are x86 complient in every way. The code in XP is also optimised for 3Dnow and 3Dnow Pro. Athlons and WinXP work without issues as long as you use te correct drivers. (Which is exactly the same as Intels CPU's) A lot of the systems that MS used were actually Alpha's as the current CPU's were too slow to compile the code. They tested the final code on 1000's of differant platforms. Im not saying XP is perfect but to say XP and Athlons dont work well is Wrong.

I think that this is an Athlon XP issue with Windows XP....

After all they did make the Athlon XP
simply because the Athlons didn't work well on Windows XP

This will most likely be updated by AMD in the short future
( they're pretty good about this kinda stuff )

If your going to offer advise at least get it right. All AMD proceessors work in XP. The new Palomino cores (1600+ and higher) were named XP's for marketing and it has nothing to do with there XP compatability at all. All Athlons actually beat the crap out of intels similar offerings and have ever since the Slot A 500mhz.

For now if you are running VIA or AMD Chipsets
Try getting the latest AGP and mainboard drivers
From your mainboard manufacturer....

VIA users will need the latest VIA 4 'n' 1 Drivers to play.....

Yes here i do agree with you. Updated Drivers for ALL your hardware is always advised. Ive been testing this error in over 12 differance platforms to get it working (i run dedicated servers for an ISP) I can confirm its definatly a Dual CPU issue with both Intel and AMD but the problem does show up on some single CPU AMD systems with XP. The error it seems is due to JK2's detection of the CPU's. Ill be getting a Xeon with hyperthreading soon to see if that has issues as well
 blueicee
04-07-2002, 12:04 PM
I have a Prestonia with Hyper-Threading enabled and yes, there is a problem. i posted my system specs above. i tried turning off Hyper-Threading it worked one time. when i exited and went back in, it would no longer run in MP mode. single player mode works well in all cases.
 sponz
04-07-2002, 9:54 PM
Sunday night bumpage. How bout a response from our friends at Raven now?:rolleyes:
 raiden
04-08-2002, 10:01 AM
well i have made a second fix.
http://www.htwm.de/~sdoempke/loader.rar)

my first fix did not work because the filecheck&memory check at the beginning noticed that the file has been changed (-> entities problem).
now i'm using a loader which waits 80ms and then modifies the file ... just in time before the div by 0 comes ...
i havent tried it too long but it seems to work ... but it is possible that the timing isnt perfect.

hope this will help out until the official patch is released.
 sponz
04-08-2002, 10:12 AM
Good job Raiden. I will try the fix when I get home from work (shortly). I respect the fact that a consumer is working on a product that other consumers have spent lots of hard earned money on, and the company that created it won't acknowledge the problem. (notice the frustration here)? If your patch dosen't work, im gonna take the game to walmart, then Im going to ask if I can return it. If they will not let me return it, I will then proceed to break it into MANY MANY small pieces and just leave it on their customer service counter. I wasted 50 bucks on a game and I'd get more enjoyment out of breaking the damn thing than I will playing it!:D

I can't seem to download your fix either. U sure you got the link right? *prays that your fix works*

Once again, I applaud the job you have done, and the fact that you have given others a sense of hope that it can be resolved soon.
 raiden
04-08-2002, 10:20 AM
@sponz

hmm the link should work ... well he works for me :-| .

and i had worked with emorog (he is from raven) to fix the problem ... dont know why it takes so long to release the fix but i guess they want to make a big patch which solves some other bugs too.
 sponz
04-08-2002, 11:38 AM
Raiden, Ok, downloaded it at home (prolly due to some DNS issues that I couldn't download at work). Giving it a try now...we'll see. I will report back with my findings shortly.
 sponz
04-08-2002, 12:59 PM
Ok. Couple of things for everyone out there. The loader file worked great on my machien so far. I played from the time of my last post to this post. Quite a while. Not a single problem. Looks like you might have gotten whatever the problem was fixed. Or atleast bandaged up. Good work to you!
 below_average
04-08-2002, 5:24 PM
:biggs: :biggs: :biggs: :biggs: :biggs:

It works fine in Single Player mode. If I try to play Multiplayer my system crashes. I get a "Windows XP has encountered an error" message right when the game engine tries to initialize/detect my CPU.

Here is my system config:

Dual Processor AMD Athlon MP 1600+
Tyan Tiger S2640 AMD 760 MP
256MB PC2100 DDR
3.5" HD FDD
30.7 GB ATA-100 IBM 7200rpm HDD
ATI Radeon 8500 64MB DDR
Windows XP Professional
Adaptec 2940UW
Toshiba SCSI CD-ROM
Pioneer SCSI CD-ROM
Creative Labs 2X EIDE DVD-ROM
D-Link DFE-530TX

Any ideas why I can play single player fine but not the multiplayer version?

wth?
 ru486
04-08-2002, 6:11 PM
patch didn't work for me I still get ParsePacket error.....
 JonRicoPa
04-08-2002, 8:59 PM
Works like a charm for me. I am finally playing multiplayer and I have to say that it looks really good!

Thanks a lot raiden. I really appreciate the effort you must have put into this.
Page: 2 of 4